PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Can Casters Cast More Effectively/Faster Than Spellclocks?

unseenmage
2014-05-20, 09:28 AM
For getting a spell out into the world at a repeatable rate my go-to answer is usually Spellclock (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/cw/20070312a)s simply because I play Artificers and that's how they get it done.
But I wonder which is better at what a Spellclock does, Spellclocks or spellcasting characters?

Say I wanted to make lots and lots of a given spell effect. Fimbulwinter, Awaken Sand, 'insert level 6-9 metamagic-ed spell here', etc. I use Spellclocks of Wishing for more Spellclocks to make that happen. Which is admittedly very efficient and OP.

But I wonder, can casters do it better? Thanks to having Int scores and opposable thumbs, probably. But can they do it more efficiently? If the spell has an expensive gp component or an xp component? Then likely not.

Okay, Spellclocks are ridiculously overpowered/undercosted awesome, but can a spellcaster ever compete? Are there lofty heights of TO that make Spellclocks pale by comparison?
Specifically at the task of taking one spell effect and repeating it every hour on the hour from now till forever and potentially (as with the Wishing for more Spellclocks idea) making more iterations of that repeating spell effect every hour on the hour?

Chain Gating Solars comes to mind but I am not familiar enough with the idea to see how it and other TO tricks stack up against the Spellclock making Spellclocks idea.

thethird
2014-05-20, 09:30 AM
magic traps? why not magic traps? doesn't everyone love magic traps?

Gemini476
2014-05-20, 09:51 AM
Alright then. Be a Muscle Wizard with some way to become immortal - Necropolitan, for instance. So a Necropolitan Aushkrau Illumian Wizard 19/Cancer Mage 1 infected with Festering Anger.
Spend some arbitrary amount of time in a fast time plane to get +NI Strength. (+2 per additional day.)
You get bonus spells based on your strength, by the way.

So now you have a truly ridiculous amount of bonus spells, although you only need 14,400 spells to get one off per round. If you're going for a low-level spell or you have extra feats you might like to add some Quickened spells so you cast more 2/turn and thus beat the spell clock in speed.

You run into issues with spells that have XP costs, though, so I guess you'll need some way to get around that. I'm sure there's some way, but I can't think of anything off the top of my head.

The major benefit with having a brain behind the spell is that you can actually make choices, rather than having it automated - all choices must be made when the trap and/or spellclock is made, after all, which means that you can't choose two different Wishes when using the clock two times or whatever.

Alex12
2014-05-20, 10:38 AM
Alright then. Be a Muscle Wizard with some way to become immortal - Necropolitan, for instance. So a Necropolitan Aushkrau Illumian Wizard 19/Cancer Mage 1 infected with Festering Anger.
Spend some arbitrary amount of time in a fast time plane to get +NI Strength. (+2 per additional day.)
You get bonus spells based on your strength, by the way.
I'll note this wouldn't work, since undead are flat-out immune to disease, so Festering Anger can't affect them.
Besides, if you're going Necropolitan wizard, you might as well go all the way and go Tainted Scholar. Deliberately fail your Will saves against depravity gain (because all it does is make you better) for every spell you cast. Since Tainted Scholar replaces your primary casting stat with depravity for purposes of number of spells gained (but not save DCs, which is an important point that everyone forgets), the more spells you cast, the more spells you can cast.
Once you get 4th-level spells, every 2 spells you cast gets you another spell of some level, and the more spell levels you have access to, the faster it goes. Once you pick up 8th level spells, then every 2 spells you cast actually lets you cast 3 more spells per day. Necropolitan Wizard 10/Tainted Scholar 10 can pretty much cast ninth-level spells until he gets bored.