PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed 3.5 - Adaptable flanker question and sertting a longspearquestion

caden_varn
2014-05-20, 10:06 AM
The adaptable flanker feat says that you can count as occupying any square that you threaten for flanking purposes, as well as your current square, against an opponent you choose. Does this mean you can count as occupying all of them, to give multiple extra people flanking bonuses, or that you can choose one extra square to 'occupy'. In other words, if O in the diagram below is the opponent, A & B are team mates and F is our adaptable flanker, does F need to choose one of the red X's to 'occupy' for adaptable flanker or can he be in both, giving both A and B flanking.

XAX
BOX
XXF

On the longspear thing, I assume that RAW you cannot set a longspear against a flyby attack? It is only against a charge I think. Is there anything like a feat that allows to do it RAW, or would it be a case of convincing my DM it made sense? I can always hold an action for a standard attack, but the bonus damage is always nice.
When setting a spear, is there any way to set a longspear or other reach weapon against a charge made on an ally next to you (a feat or anything)? I'm mainly just curious here.

lytokk
2014-05-21, 07:27 AM
Technically, you can still set a longspear against any movement, basically just holding action until the opponent is within range to make your attack. What I'm not sure of is the fact that a fly by (or ride by, since they're so similar) attack would be subject to the double damage of setting against a charge since by definition, they aren't charges. RAW it appears not, since those attacks aren't charges, but my logic says that it should.

In regards to the adaptable flanker, just a reading of the feat makes it seems that F would be granting both A and B flank bonuses in the example. but, I'm no expert.

nedz
2014-05-21, 07:40 AM
Adaptable flanker requires that you nominate one square as a swift action. Since you can only, normally, take swift actions on your turn — you must nominate that square on your turn. In the example given F should 5' step to flank with A, or B, and then by nominating the other Red X square they could flank against both. This doesn't stop O moving and breaking the flanks, even by moving into the nominated square.

Adaptable flanker can get quite silly with reach weapons.

The Double damage against a charge is exactly that. Flying opponents can usually charge, but Flyby attack would preclude that. i.e. you cannot charge as part of a Flyby attack, since a charge is (normally) a full round action. This doesn't stop you taking an AoO against someone using Flyby attack, you just don't get the double damage.

lytokk
2014-05-21, 07:47 AM
The version of AF I'm looking at says you designate the opponent as a swift action. It goes on to say you can choose to count as occupying any square you threaten for the purposes of flanking. It doesn't say that the second choice requires any sort of action. Just for clarification, was this feat erratted at any point to change this wording?

caden_varn
2014-05-21, 07:52 AM
Adaptable flanker requires that you nominate one square as a swift action. .

Are you sure that it works by nominating a square? I thought you nominated a single opponent as a swift action, rather than a specific square? I don't have the manual so I'll have to wait til I see my DM again to confirm this otherwise...

Arc_knight25
2014-05-21, 11:02 AM
Just from looking at the feat, you do need the swift action do designate the target. But so long as your adjacent to that opponent you count as occupying any other square around the target.

So you need to be adjacent to the target not just within threat range with a weapon.

So if the creature moves away from you so you are no longer adjacent to the target then the ability doesn't kick in and your allies can no longer flank with you using the feat's ability.

If you are still have a reach weapon but are not adjacent to the target you can still flank regularly.

That's how I read the feat at least.

nedz
2014-05-21, 12:01 PM
As a swift action, you designate a single opponent as the target of this feat. When you are adjacent to the chosen target, you can choose to count as occupying any other square you threaten for purposes of determining flanking bonuses for you and your allies. You also occupy your current square for flanking an opponent.
OK, so maybe I misread this slightly.