PDA

View Full Version : Working on Priest Base Class, help desired

Darkshade
2007-02-15, 11:40 AM
I am currently working on a 20 level Base Class, a cleric variant called a Priest
I have seen lots of Priests classes on here but the specific thing I want to do with this class that makes it a little different is this...
I wish to build a Priest who is devoted to a Pantheon of Deities instead of the worship of a single god.
In ancient cultures the Priests of the lands usually devoted themselves to the worship of many gods and were their followers connection to all of their deities. Not just one.
Especially in small communities where the people only tend to have one Priest that priest needs to be able to sermonize and commune with all their dieties instead of just one.
I am currently planning for a d6 class with 4 + int skill points and 1/2 B.A.B. with a good Will save and simple weapon and medium armor proficiency. I am working on a spell list as well.
I need help figuring out a few class abilities to make it a little more unique
I am uncertain whether I want Turn Undead at all or not, and would appreciate some suggestion on that end.
The spell list is going to be mostly buff spells and divinations and healing spells. The class is supposed to be a healer and a proselytizer who works almost always with followers of his deities whom he empowers with the strength of his deities. The Priest is not intended to be a blaster caster or a save or die caster.

I am also thinking that some kind of "Sudden Chain" power that could only be used to include worshippers of his pantheon.

anybody got anything for me?

jjpickar
2007-02-15, 11:46 AM
I would give them a sudden Domain power.

1/per day they can pick any domain from their pantheon. For that day they have th use of that domain. However if they use the domain three days in a row they have to placate the other deities in the pantheon.

Darkshade
2007-02-15, 11:54 AM
hmm, interesting idea

i believe i forgot to mention though that the Priest will be getting 2 domains, and I was going to go to the trouble to make a domain list for each pantheon.
The elven Pantheon would look something like Chaos, Elf, Good, Knowledge, Plant, and Protection.
Dwarven Pantheon Craft, Dwarf, Good, Law, Metal, and Trade

Roderick_BR
2007-02-15, 11:56 AM
Low BAB, only good Will Save, can still get armor, but starts with the minimum. Hmm...
Ok, the Priest could have more spellcasting ability. Maybe let him memorize two bonus spells from his domains, instead of one?
Make Turn Undead a domain power. Maybe in place of "Great Turning" as the Sun's domain power.

jjpickar
2007-02-15, 12:49 PM
hmm, interesting idea

i believe i forgot to mention though that the Priest will be getting 2 domains, and I was going to go to the trouble to make a domain list for each pantheon.
The elven Pantheon would look something like Chaos, Elf, Good, Knowledge, Plant, and Protection.
Dwarven Pantheon Craft, Dwarf, Good, Law, Metal, and Trade

Then maybe allow him to switch domains under certain circumstances. Maybe after two particularly expensive sacrifices (one to garner favor with the deity that you are petitioning and the other to placate the deity whose power you are relinquishing).

Matthew
2007-02-15, 06:15 PM
What actually is the model for this Priest Class? Do you have a specific historical example in mind? I think Clerics can already be priests of a pantheon, rather than an individual deity.

I_Got_This_Name
2007-02-15, 06:55 PM
Perhaps work from the rules for Clerics of a Pantheon (domain choices from whole pantheon) and the Cloistered Cleric (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#clericVariantCloistere dCleric)? You should be able to find something useful from there, at least.