PDA

View Full Version : Merging ShadowCasters and Warlocks....what ...tier?

CyberThread
2014-05-20, 10:23 AM
If we gesalted SHadow Casters without the fix with Warlocks, do you think we would have a solid tier 3 character?

Urpriest
2014-05-20, 10:27 AM
If we gesalted SHadow Casters without the fix with Warlocks, do you think we would have a solid tier 3 character?

The big problem with Shadowcasters is the low number of uses per day, while the big problem with Warlocks is that the individual abilities are weak. Gestalting them together solves both problems, and keeps things about as MAD as the Shadowcaster originally was. Sounds like a fine idea to me. Oddly enough, it actually sounds a little like the 5e Warlock...

malonkey1
2014-05-20, 01:07 PM
The big problem with Shadowcasters is the low number of uses per day, while the big problem with Warlocks is that the individual abilities are weak. Gestalting them together solves both problems, and keeps things about as MAD as the Shadowcaster originally was. Sounds like a fine idea to me. Oddly enough, it actually sounds a little like the 5e Warlock...

I suspect Wizards has been paying better attention than we give them credit for.

Chronos
2014-05-20, 02:05 PM
On the other hand, it wouldn't solve the problem that shadowcasters are a complicated mess bound by an overabundance of rules. One thing the standard warlock definitely has going for it is that it's simple.

Tvtyrant
2014-05-20, 06:40 PM
I have done this myself, and it fixes less then you would think. The Shadowcaster's casting is just too crummy at low levels to be useful; you are basically just a Warlock with some extra 1/day abilities until you reach mid levels. Which is fine since the Warlock is strongest at low levels and gets weaker as you go up, but each class is important in turn instead of feeling like there is a sense of synergy.