PDA

View Full Version : Foolish musings of a diseased mind.

Charity
2007-02-15, 11:55 AM
OK here is an daft Q or two.

I was pondering the other day, a torch does 1d3 damage + 1 fire damage, does the fire damage hit on a touch attack?

Another one is - If you stand in a fire you take 1d6 fire damage a round, but if you stood with a leg in each of two fires would you take 2d6? If so how large does a fire need to be so that it deals 1d6 damage? (As a torch does the above damage.)
If you walk through several large fires in a round are you affected by each?

If the fire damage stacks then surely you could bundle two torches together to do 1d3 + 2 damage? Or even get a large sheild attach *punches no's into a calculator* 450ish torch heads to it and sheild bash for 1d3 + 450 damage.

Yeah ok it would weigh quite a bit.

Fax Celestis
2007-02-15, 12:05 PM
Q1. I would say yes.

Q2. I would assume that a fire that does 1d6 a round is one square big.

Q3. That'd be utterly ridiculous.

Indon
2007-02-15, 12:10 PM
I'd say that a shield or something that was magically or otherwise completely on fire would deal 1d6 fire damage.

jjpickar
2007-02-15, 12:43 PM
Whats the difference between a magically fire enmeshed club and a torch? I know the game mechanics 1d3+1 fire vs. 1d6+1d6 fire. But is it really that different in concept?

Fax Celestis
2007-02-15, 12:51 PM
Whats the difference between a magically fire enmeshed club and a torch? I know the game mechanics 1d3+1 fire vs. 1d6+1d6 fire. But is it really that different in concept?

Yes. Torches are not designed for hitting things, they are designed for giving off light.

AKA_Bait
2007-02-15, 12:54 PM

The fire on an enmeshed club, if you mean the weapon enhancment, is magical fire. One could easily say magic fire burns hotter than normal fire and therefore does more damage.

oriong
2007-02-15, 01:01 PM
The fire damage does not hit on a touch attack (no more than the damage from a flaming weapon).

As far as treating a torch like a club: keep in mind a club weighs 3 times as much as a torch and is at least moderately designed towards hurting things (most of the weight in the end) while a torch might very well be made from soft materials. Also, remember that a flaming weapon keeps burning no matter what, if you hit someone with a torch the fire is pretty likely to just go out, likely why the damage is so much smaller.

Pepper
2007-02-15, 01:05 PM
Actually as most torches require pitch to burn, wouldn't hitting someone with it cause the pitch (which is probably very sticky) to stick to the target and continually burn till put out?

silentknight
2007-02-15, 01:19 PM
I would say that a failed Reflex save would allow the pitch to continue burning for 1 round on the target creature for 1 point of fire damage the following round (unless you do something to snuff the fire out).

Ikkitosen
2007-02-15, 02:42 PM
Charity, stop being naughty and trying to break D&D with your "maths".

Charity
2007-02-15, 02:50 PM
Sorry Ikky old son, I was musing this, in the bath the other night, I just wanted to share.

Obviously no-one would ever try to pull that last bit in a game.

Heres some weirdness.
The way I read it, If you stay in a fire for the whole round you take 1d6 damage, if you double move through say 6 squares of fire, every other 5 foot you take 6d6 damage... I'll just stand here and burn thanks, I get to live longer.

Altair_the_Vexed
2007-02-15, 02:59 PM
A round can be split into effectively two actions, whether that be a move action and standard action, or two moves, or (sort of) one and a bit standard actions (a full round action).

Why not house rule that fire does 1d6 damage per action you spend exposed to it?
That would mean standing in the fire for a whole round does 1d6 (standard action) + 1d6 (move action), and moving through several fires in the course of a round of full movement does 1d6 + 1d6. If you start off standing in a fire, and move out of it, you just take 1d6.

(I may not have covered all the bases with the wording of that idea, but do you see what I mean?)

Nahal
2007-02-15, 10:46 PM
I think this thread has so far killed at least 3 catgirls. Torch = light piece of wood designed to illuminate. Club = larger, dense piece of wood designed for breaking heads, bones and stale fruitcake.

J_Muller
2007-02-15, 10:55 PM
This thread has instilled in me the desire to have a character with a flaming shield.

Maxymiuk
2007-02-15, 11:04 PM
This thread has instilled me with the desire for more fire-based cheesiness.

The ground always has an AC of 10 to hit. But in fact, simply falling requires no roll to hit the ground. So here's what you do to take advantage of this rule.

Take a dragon. Or polymorph into one.

Strap several dozen of alchemist fire flasks in easily detachable harnesses to your dragon.

Fly over your designated target.

Release the alchemist fire.

Since the flasks are now in freefall, they can't fail to hit the ground, ergo, they don't need an attack roll.

Ergo, they hit your designated target with pin-point precision.

Mwahahahahaha!

Arceliar
2007-02-15, 11:32 PM
If you're going to talk about hitting the ground...

It specifically states monks can make unarmed attacks with their knees, feet, etc.

Have a monk with Leap Attack try to attack the ground *(Edit: With his feet, or equivalent body part). Eventually, he'll miss. Now ask yourself: wtf?!

Enter the Hitchhiker's guide.

BDO
2007-02-16, 02:13 AM
This brings up the next questions: What are the HP of "The Ground"? And what's the CR? How many EP do I get if I defeat "The Ground"? Does flying present an option to circumvent "The Gound" thus gaining EP for creative roleplaying/using the system?

Tor the Fallen
2007-02-16, 02:35 AM
Fill a bag of holding with lantern oil.

LotharBot
2007-02-16, 02:44 AM
On "hitting the ground":

IIRC, "missing" the ground doesn't mean you actually don't hit any of the ground, it just means you missed the spot on the ground you were aiming at. Your throw was a range increment off in a random direction, usually. The only way you'll end up actually missing the ground is if you're throwing at a small island and you end up hitting the water (or whatever other form of non-ground happens to surround "islands" on whatever plane you're on.)

A monk "missing" the ground with a kick/stomp just means he kicked in such a way as to not deal damage to the ground. If my players got uppity enough to try to make that point, I'd institute fumble rules and say that 1/20 of the time, you stomp and twist an ankle.

Beleriphon
2007-02-16, 03:57 AM
In reference to the ground it has an AC 5. Reasoning for that is that it is 10 -5 (-5 Dex mod for having no Dex score). So really the average commoner can only miss the ground if the are Arthur Dent.

Lord Iames Osari
2007-02-16, 04:27 AM
Not true! Eventually they will roll a 1 and automiss!

Woot Spitum
2007-02-16, 04:42 PM
Not true! Eventually they will roll a 1 and automiss!

And suddenly, flying wizards are no longer a problem.

Steward
2007-02-17, 01:37 PM
This brings up the next questions: What are the HP of "The Ground"? And what's the CR? How many EP do I get if I defeat "The Ground"? Does flying present an option to circumvent "The Gound" thus gaining EP for creative roleplaying/using the system?

The HP of the ground is 3d¥ . The CR of the ground is ¥ and if you defeat the ground, you automatically lose all of your hitpoints - 10 with fire-damage from the annihilation of the world.

DaMullet
2007-02-17, 01:53 PM
Actually, the AC of the ground is 0. It's a Colossal++ creature, and so has a massive -adjustment to AC. However, you can't have negative AC, so it's zero.

Maxymiuk
2007-02-17, 02:02 PM
However you have to add in an equally massive Natural AC bonus.

OzymandiasVolt
2007-02-17, 02:38 PM
and probably some ridiculous amount of damage reduction.