PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Is there a way to get pounce without lion totem barbarian levels or psionics?

realbombchu
2014-05-20, 11:13 AM
If I'm playing a charging fighter, and do NOT want to take levels in lion totem barbarian or use psionics, what are my other pouncing options? Is there a pounce spell that isn't personal ranged? Is there a magic item, like maybe a pair of boots? I don't want my charging damage to take a hit (so to speak) just because I'm limited to a single attack. A feat is okay too, but I'm running out of those, so an item works best. Thanks.

HammeredWharf
2014-05-20, 11:15 AM
The Snow Tiger Berserker feat from Unapproachable East, but it requires Rage.

Alikat
2014-05-20, 11:28 AM
Tiger skin boots, not sure if they're home brew. Grant the ability to pounce up to 5x a day.

sideswipe
2014-05-20, 11:33 AM
play a catfolk.

take the two weapon pounce tree (awful choice).

athropamorphmic (insert large cat creature with pounce here) i believe it would work.

HammeredWharf
2014-05-20, 11:39 AM
The Feral template from Savage Species also gives Pounce, but only during the first round of combat.

sideswipe
2014-05-20, 11:40 AM
The Feral template from Savage Species also gives Pounce, but only during the first round of combat.

usual pounce power builds allow the first round to also be the last round of combat :smallwink:

realbombchu
2014-05-20, 11:48 AM
Thanks for some good ideas. Maybe I should give more information, though. These are cool, but some of them are not really an option in this case. My character is a warforged, and I don't really want to use a template. I can use a feat, but would have a hard time finding room at the moment. Most of my levels are chosen, and I don't want to use barbarian if I can get around it.

I know this is kind of a tall order, but the options that I think would work best for me are magic items and spells. Thanks though.

Can I get a confirmation on those tiger skin boots? Are they homebrew?

sideswipe
2014-05-20, 11:50 AM
they are homebrew

sideswipe
2014-05-20, 11:51 AM
what level are you?

Red Fel
2014-05-20, 11:52 AM
Are you okay with a Pounce-substitute? Shadow Pounce. Telflammar Shadowlord (Unapproachable East) and Crinti Shadow Marauder (Shining South) both gain this power, which lets you use a full attack at the end of a teleport. Both classes also have an ability that functions as a teleport, enabling the Shadow Pounce.

Lion's Pounce (CDiv) lets you burn a Wild Shape to Pounce, which is a major waste if you ask me. Bestial Charge (CChamp) lets you Pounce after using Wild Shape. Note also that (I think) some Wild Shape forms get Pounce natively.

Pouncing Charge (ToB) lets you Pounce, and because it's a maneuver you can recover and reuse it.

Forrestfire
2014-05-20, 11:54 AM
One (admittedly high-power) option is to take leadership to get an artificer buddy who can use 4th-level infusions and has the Persistent Spell feat, or to get a minor schema of Concurrent Infusions and a minor schema of Metamagic Item.

Use Concurrent Infusions to put a componentless Spell-Storing Item infusion on some object. It's now a one-charge wand of whatever 4th-level or lower spell, in this case Lion's Charge. Use the Metamagic Item infusion to apply the Persistent Spell metamagic feat to the newly-made spell-trigger item, then have your character UMD it to put a persisted Lion's Charge on himself (possibly using Guidance of the Avatar and a single cross-class rank for it).

Viola, pounce.

Urpriest
2014-05-20, 11:54 AM
There's at least one Soulmeld that gives Pounce, but you'd need to open the right chakras for it, which might require class levels if it's Totem chakra.

Pouncing Charge from ToB is probably the easiest option. I'd advise getting it with a Warblade dip, if you can fit a level in at a reasonable place.

Ellowryn
2014-05-20, 11:55 AM
Lion's Charge gives pounce and is a Druid 1, or Sorcerer/Wizard 2 spell. Get one of them to persist it on you, or crate a magic item the gives it to you like "gauntlets of the charging lion" should only cost about 8k (Spell level 1 x Caster level 1 x 2000gp x 4 for spell duration measured in rounds).

sideswipe
2014-05-20, 11:57 AM
Pouncing Charge (ToB) lets you Pounce, and because it's a maneuver you can recover and reuse it.

i was about to suggest this. it is a level 5 manouver so you need to have 9 levels in an initiator class (or 18 with no initiator class) and then you can take martial study and take it as a feat.

so if you are playing a high level game or mid level with a few levels in initiator class then you could take it.

Forrestfire
2014-05-20, 11:59 AM
Lion's Charge gives pounce and is a Druid 1, or Sorcerer/Wizard 2 spell. Get one of them to persist it on you, or crate a magic item the gives it to you like "gauntlets of the charging lion" should only cost about 8k (Spell level 1 x Caster level 1 x 2000gp x 4 for spell duration measured in rounds).

It's actually Ranger 2/Druid 3 now, since it was updated in the Spell Compendium.

Andezzar
2014-05-20, 12:12 PM
usual pounce power builds allow the first round to also be the last round of combat :smallwink:Too bad, if the DM makes encounters with more than one creature.

Lion's Charge gives pounce and is a Druid 1, or Sorcerer/Wizard 2 spell. Get one of them to persist it on you, or crate a magic item the gives it to you like "gauntlets of the charging lion" should only cost about 8k (Spell level 1 x Caster level 1 x 2000gp x 4 for spell duration measured in rounds).Lion's Charge cannot be persisted on you by another caster, it has Range:Personal.

Red Fel
2014-05-20, 12:17 PM
Lion's Charge cannot be persisted on you by another caster, it has Range:Personal.

Remarkably simple solution! Get Polymorphed into an animal. Become a Druid's animal companion. Share spells. Druid casts a Range:Personal spell (Lion's Charge) on himself, shares with you, get that bad boy persisted. Dismiss Polymorph. Profit!So simple!

Ellowryn
2014-05-20, 12:20 PM
Ah, was looking at the savage species version which was creature touched. And why a two spell level adjustment in spell compedium? Basically the best way to get pounce is a barbarian dip, or go for a ToB class to get poncing charge to get something close.

Seerow
2014-05-20, 12:25 PM
Ah, was looking at the savage species version which was creature touched. And why a two spell level adjustment in spell compedium?

Because mundanes aren't allowed nice things, even when they originate from casters.

Red Fel
2014-05-20, 12:52 PM
Basically the best way to get pounce is a barbarian dip, or go for a ToB class to get poncing charge to get something close.

Short version? The most accessible choice is a one-level Barbarian dip. Anything else requires (a) templates or races, (b) temporary buffs or spellcasting shenanigans, (c) multiple class levels or other class-specific features, or (d) feats. Barbarian is an easy choice; one level, one ACF, instant achievement.

Andezzar
2014-05-20, 01:01 PM
Remarkably simple solution! Get Polymorphed into an animal. Become a Druid's animal companion. Share spells. Druid casts a Range:Personal spell (Lion's Charge) on himself, shares with you, get that bad boy persisted. Dismiss Polymorph. Profit!So simple!That does not work. A creature getting the benefits of a polymorph spell is not valid to become an animal companion. The recipient of the spell does not become a particular animal it only gets certain features of the desired form, among them the animal type.

Even if it did work, you won't get the desired benefit from it, because dismissing a spell is a Standard Action and Lion's charge only lasts one round.

Gildedragon
2014-05-20, 01:07 PM
There is a regional Faerun "Lion tribe warrior" that grants limited pounce. Also go a leave this here Ways to get Pounce or Free Movement (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?103358-3-X-Ways-to-get-Pounce-or-Free-Movement)

realbombchu
2014-05-20, 04:14 PM
Okay, thanks everyone, there are some options here I didn't know about. To answer an earlier question, I'm level 1, but I'm the kind of player that likes to know where I'm going. I'll try moving some stuff around, maybe I can find room for a barbarian level or something.

Andezzar
2014-05-20, 04:33 PM
What are you trying to achieve with your character besides having pounce?

realbombchu
2014-05-20, 05:05 PM
What are you trying to achieve with your character besides having pounce?

Mostly, I want him to be an uber-charger (I think I'm using that term correctly). You know, run into battle and use Power Attack (and Shock Trooper, etc.) to hit something hard. I've also built in some scouting utility, but it's not what he's best at.

Or are you asking about the concept I'm going for? He's a troubled veteran of the last war who is starting to consider the teachings of the Lord of Blades, but cannot truly embrace them. There's more to it than that, but that's the basic premise.

Thealtruistorc
2014-05-20, 05:21 PM
Two levels of totemist allws you to get sphinx claws or landshark boots, both of which enable pouncing.

Other options inclde the feral template and catfolk pounce from races of the wild, but those involve level adjustment.

Andezzar
2014-05-20, 05:42 PM
Mostly, I want him to be an uber-charger (I think I'm using that term correctly). You know, run into battle and use Power Attack (and Shock Trooper, etc.) to hit something hard. I've also built in some scouting utility, but it's not what he's best at.

Or are you asking about the concept I'm going for? He's a troubled veteran of the last war who is starting to consider the teachings of the Lord of Blades, but cannot truly embrace them. There's more to it than that, but that's the basic premise.Über-chargers are achieved most easily with taking a level in Spiritual Lion Totem Barbarian. As you have seen there are some other options to get Pounce.
What makes you reluctant to take the barbarian level? What are the other planned levels? Maybe we can give suggestions how to best fit that level in.

ArqArturo
2014-05-20, 06:00 PM
As was mentioned above, the Pouncing Charge maneuver is a better choice for a fighter. It also opens the door for maneuvers, and makes the fighter much more impressive in combat.

Deophaun
2014-05-20, 06:06 PM
11 levels of Battle Dancer and 14 ranks of Tumble. Because you should know all of your options. Even the terrible ones.

Andezzar
2014-05-20, 11:44 PM
As was mentioned above, the Pouncing Charge maneuver is a better choice for a fighter. It also opens the door for maneuvers, and makes the fighter much more impressive in combat.Without an Initiator class, you will have to wait until level 18 to get it. By then one pounce per encounter (non-initiators cannot recover maneuvers) will not be impressive.

Angelalex242
2014-05-21, 12:00 AM
The Lion of Talisid gets Pounce as an EX at 5th level. It's also a full casting prestige class meant for Druids. Of course, that does mean EXALTED Druids...

(Book of Exalted Deeds)

Endarire
2014-05-21, 12:05 AM
Have a handbook (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?103358-3-X-Ways-to-get-Pounce-or-Free-Movement).