PDA

View Full Version : Good programming for quickly generating maps?

WarKitty
2014-05-20, 11:51 AM
Is there an online program that works well for open-world play and allows fast map generation? I'm familiar with roll20 but it seems to be better designed for dungeon-crawling, rather than more open play, and the cost of having to make maps for every way the party could go is prohibitive. Especially as we're starting out in a cityscape, I don't intend to have maps for every building the PC's could enter.

Kazudo
2014-05-20, 03:09 PM
Not sure about all that. donjon.bin.sh has a dungeon builder that has some cavernous options, and all a cityscape really is is a dungeon with a mess of rooms where people frown upon killing the inhabitants and taking their loot.

It also has a world map generator which is nice. No political boundaries,but a lot of other such stuff.

WarKitty
2014-05-21, 01:29 PM
Not sure about all that. donjon.bin.sh has a dungeon builder that has some cavernous options, and all a cityscape really is is a dungeon with a mess of rooms where people frown upon killing the inhabitants and taking their loot.

It also has a world map generator which is nice. No political boundaries,but a lot of other such stuff.

No way to upload the maps anywhere though. That's the big issue - there are plenty of random map generators but they're all built for printing out. What I need is a mapmaker where I can randomly generate a map, look it over briefly, and then put my players directly on it.

Edit: I also need something that does sensible buildings, as well as outdoor maps. Trouble with most dungeon generators is that they generate a sprawling mess of rooms and corridors, whereas a building should have a much more patterned layout with no dead space inside.

Demonic Spoon
2014-05-21, 05:18 PM
as long as you get an image file, you could presumably upload any randomly generated map to roll20 and then, as you said, put your players directly on it.

WarKitty
2014-05-22, 10:29 AM
as long as you get an image file, you could presumably upload any randomly generated map to roll20 and then, as you said, put your players directly on it.

Cool thanks. Now does anyone know of a suitable map generator? All the ones I've been finding are too corridor-y.

WrathMage
2014-05-22, 10:57 AM
Well if you are looking for a larger scale, outdoor map generator then might I suggest: Hexographer (http://www.hexographer.com/free-version/). Its basic but it can make sprawling outdoor maps pretty quickly and you can export them so that they can then be imported to Roll20.

Hope that helps.