PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Charnel touch+tomb touched soul+Empower spell+Chain spell?

AbsoluteZero
2014-05-20, 01:32 PM
Ok im fairly new to dnd and iv decided to play a d necromancer, i know i need tomb touched soul to heal from negative energy DAMAGE only, and be damaged by Positive energy, and i know by casting Charnel Touch on myself i can limitlessly heal myself, but iv heard its only useful out of combat, i don't know why this would be, but if not, is it possible to heal myself, and my undead during combat if i take the chain spell feat, and further enhance the effects with empower spell, and if so what problems would i run into (besides the 30ft range of chain spell), how many times a day could i do this?

Urpriest
2014-05-20, 01:34 PM
Ok im fairly new to dnd and iv decided to play a d necromancer, i know i need tomb touched soul to heal from negative energy DAMAGE only, and be damaged by Positive energy, and i know by casting Charnel Touch on myself i can limitlessly heal myself, but iv heard its only useful out of combat, i don't know why this would be, but if not, is it possible to heal myself, and my undead during combat if i take the chain spell feat, and further enhance the effects with empower spell, and if so what problems would i run into (besides the 30ft range of chain spell), how many times a day could i do this?

It's just too small an amount to be meaningful in combat, past perhaps the very earliest levels. Chain Spell and Empower will have no effect on it since Charnel Touch is not a spell.

Kid Jake
2014-05-20, 01:37 PM
Generally it's better to do something to take down your enemy than to spend your action healing yourself.

AbsoluteZero
2014-05-20, 01:45 PM
It's just too small an amount to be meaningful in combat, past perhaps the very earliest levels. Chain Spell and Empower will have no effect on it since Charnel Touch is not a spell.

ah i cant believe i didn't notice that, i was thinking i could buffer all my minions at once, but i could probaly use those feats with ray of enfeeblement and make targets eseyer for my minions, right.

Red Fel
2014-05-20, 01:55 PM
Generally it's better to do something to take down your enemy than to spend your action healing yourself.

This. The issue isn't just with Charnel Touch + TTS, but with healing in combat as a whole. Once your enemy is dead, it's safe to heal as you'd like. If you stop him from attacking, you prevent more damage than you would have recovered with healing. If you spend your rounds healing, your enemy gets to be alive longer, and that tends to lead to more problems.

Kid Jake
2014-05-20, 02:16 PM
If you're determined to heal minions/yourself in combat you could go with a Lord of the Uttercold build.

Urpriest
2014-05-20, 04:58 PM
ah i cant believe i didn't notice that, i was thinking i could buffer all my minions at once, but i could probaly use those feats with ray of enfeeblement and make targets eseyer for my minions, right.

...I'm confused by this. Whether or not something is a spell isn't something that you "notice" or "don't notice". If you know what spells in D&D are, and you read the description of Charnel Touch, there's nothing suggesting that it's a spell.

So if you had the impression that it was a spell, you must either have just heard the name without seeing the actual rules text, or you've got some misconception about what is and is not a spell in D&D. In either case, there was nothing you could have "noticed" that would have given you a different impression.

I'd like to figure out if there's some sort of underlying confusion that motivated the mistake. If that doesn't get fixed, then you'll just come back next week with another idea that doesn't work.