PDA

View Full Version : Escape button for vampire

Netbattler11
2014-05-20, 04:08 PM
Is there an item which can be activated in gaseous form to teleport to a specific place (my coffin), or some way to automatically teleport there when I turn into gaseous form? Character is a seventh level Blackguard, for the record.

Kazudo
2014-05-20, 04:15 PM
Well, actually, if you can get teleport as a spell-like ability or non-Supernatural class ability (such as casting as long as the spell doesn't have verbal, somatic, material, or focus components) then you're good. And if you do have to cast a spell, if you have a 6th level spell slot available and have prepared/can cast Silent Teleport, there's nothing stopping you as long as your coffin's within 1100-1200 miles (depending on your method of getting it). I'm sure it counts as a Familiar Location, so you won't mishap. Worst that'll happen is you'll appear nearby and have to flow inside.

Edit: Saw the class layout, and there is this little bit...

Its material armor (including natural armor) becomes worthless, though its size, Dexterity, deflection bonuses, and armor bonuses from force effects still apply.

Which tells me that if you can get an activated ability that requires none of the above triggers you'd be good. Maybe something psionic.

Anxe
2014-05-20, 06:04 PM
Is there a reason you can't design such an item yourself?

Snowbluff
2014-05-20, 06:09 PM
Word of Recall. Standard Action, which is about how much time you have in sunlight.

Techwarrior
2014-05-20, 08:06 PM
Word of Recall. Standard Action, which is about how much time you have in sunlight.

Along these lines, a one-shot Command Word activation item of Word of Recall costs 1,188 gp according to the magic item creation guidelines, very handy in case you need to make an emergency escape. Sadly, that's without bothering to run costs, I knew that specific case already.

Alternatively, a once/day Command Word item of Word of Recall costs 23,760 gp by the same guidlines if you need a 'more permanent' solution.

Erik Vale
2014-05-20, 08:43 PM
Contingency Teleport/greater teleport, possibly cast using scrolls.

Netbattler11
2014-05-20, 10:53 PM
One-shot word of recall would work great, thanks a lot guys. I'm not worried about it happening often, but I do want a panic button in case something goes awry.

Contingency would work as well but i'm not entirely sure how to get my blackguard to cast it. Don't you need something on your spell list to cast it from a scroll, or umd which i lack?

Techwarrior
2014-05-21, 12:12 AM
Usually yes. That said Craft Contingent Spell (Complete Arcane) obviates that need.

Anxe
2014-05-21, 09:02 AM
If the one shot item is an activated item, then you can't use it in gaseous form. You'd have to use a Stilled and Silent version of the item which would increase the cost a little. Techwarrior did you include that in your cost calculations?

Techwarrior
2014-05-21, 04:16 PM
I did not.

Honestly, it probably only needs to be a Silent version, the spell involved doesn't have somatic components. At that point, you're getting much further into DM ruling territory, and we can help you less and less.

For those curious, the same items with Silent Word of Recall (a 7th level spell) are 1,694 gp for the one shot item and 33,880 for the 1/day version.

Erik Vale
2014-05-21, 07:15 PM
No, you flat out couldn't use it because you can't manipulate things, you'd need to ask your DM to make it mentally activatable. Which Is why I suggest contingency.

And you could purchase a casting from a friendly town wizard [tm]

Anxe
2014-05-21, 09:46 PM
If you wanna be super strict about RAW, that's true. I think the extra cost is fair for also just making it usable during gaseous form instead of silent in general.

Good catch on the somatic part too.

Erik Vale
2014-05-22, 02:15 AM
Nah, I'm more pointing out the reasonable DM says no and the possibly inevitable Rules lawyer complaint if a fellow player doesn't like it. It honestly makes sense for a vampire to try and get such a thing and I'm surprised there's not a expensive option made specifically for this in the system already.

Anxe
2014-05-22, 09:48 AM
It would make sense for something in Libris Mortis now that you mention it. Kind of like a wildling clasp.