PDA

View Full Version : The Floating Hole (possibly of doom)

Bryn
2007-02-15, 01:41 PM
Some wizards would tell you that the spell Tenser's Floating Disc is useless, and that Tenser himself made it while drunk. Such people are wrong...

In other words, here is a crazy idea I only recently came up with

What you need:
An apprentice with a CL of 1 to cast Tenser's Floating Disc twice
A quantity of quick-setting plaster that can set within an hour (no idea for cost on this)
A bit of time
A portable hole (20,000gp) with a 5-foot diameter (not RAW, usually they have a 6-foot diameter)
Materials with which it is possible to make a comfortable living space inside hole, possibly including large weapons such as ballistae (up to you)
A 5-foot diameter sheet of metal and some sort of hinge assembly (not sure on price)
A lenient DMHow to do it
With added numbers! Just in case you forget the entirely random order in which I numbered these things
Have the Apprentice (1) cast Tenser's Floating Disc
Pour quick-setting plaster (2) into Disc (cast by 1)
Make sure top of quick-setting plaster (2) is flat
Allow quick-setting plaster (2) to set. Quickly.
Enchant disc of quickly set quick-setting plaster (2) to continually cast Tenser's Floating Disc (cast by 1) (=2000gp, according to DMG guidelines) during time (3)
Make the Disc of Discs (2) cast Tenser's Floating Disc (as cast by 1) so it itself is inside the disc (as cast by 1)
You now have a Disc of Discs in a Disc, henceforth numbered as 8.
If you wish, make Disc of Discs (8) invisible, as it will be hard to access in future (3*).
Spread Portable Hole (4) on top of Disc of Discs (8)
Fill open Portable Hole (4) with comfortable living space (5), so that you may travel comfortably
Attach hinge assembly (6) to top of disc, and make it invisible if you wish (although the hole (4) will then be visible beneath it), to stop the elements getting in
Hope that Lenient DM (7) lets you get away with itYou might want to add an Arcane Eye made permanent somehow to the top of the disc, so you can see where you're going. If that's too expensive (especially after buying a Portable Hole) then a periscope of some sort should suffice.

What do you get? Here is an illustration:
http://img235.imageshack.us/img235/2935/sdiscmobileov9.png

'Why on earth would you want to make a portable hole fly along three feet above the ground?' I hear you ask. Well... I have no idea. But it looks cool.

So, why won't this work? And what other crazy contraptions have you come up with?

GolemsVoice
2007-02-15, 01:45 PM
Hmm, strikes me as funny, but absolutely useless. I like it!
But I don't get the Disc of Discs thing. But it sounds impressing, so it's a perfect How-To.

Bryn
2007-02-15, 01:46 PM
The disc of discs is a plaster mould of the Floating Disc, which is then enchanted to cast a continuous Floating Disc.

InaVegt
2007-02-15, 01:46 PM
Well, my crazy contraption was the eternal mill, using a decanter of endless water and a water mill, gaining a high power power source for my weavery, my lenient DM let me hire people so I could produce around 50 gp worth of cloth without being there a day. And only have to pay 50 cp a day to my commoners.

Rockphed
2007-02-15, 01:47 PM
Behold the majesty of the land air sub!

Halcyon_Dax
2007-02-15, 02:09 PM
I once made a flying armored carriage with animated crossbows attached to it. Inside was a similar pocket dimension sort of setup so it was an extravagantly spacious luxury death-carriage. Eventually I had planned to somehow get genesis cast, and make the inside of the carriage lead to there.

Imagine a 7ft by 9ft or so adamantium box zipping through the sky, blasting out crossbow bolts at an obscene clip at people along the ground. You eventually ground the ship, and climb inside, only to find yourself in a lush jungle setting -- surrounded by heavily armed pirates.

Damn, Im going to have to re-use this as a villain thing in a future campaign of mine.

kamikasei
2007-02-15, 02:25 PM
I once made a flying armored carriage with animated crossbows attached to it. Inside was a similar pocket dimension sort of setup so it was an extravagantly spacious luxury death-carriage. Eventually I had planned to somehow get genesis cast, and make the inside of the carriage lead to there.

So, the TARDIS, then.

Halcyon_Dax
2007-02-15, 02:31 PM
Whats that?

That Lanky Bugger
2007-02-15, 02:36 PM
The Gobbo Air Cannon

This one was pretty neat. Basically, it was a tube of mithril a goblin sorcerer had enchanted with a Permanent Gust of Wind spell. They then used these to mess about with me and my party, who were all considerably higher level than the gobbos.

There was a variant involving a Decanter of Endless Water, as well.

White Blade
2007-02-15, 02:44 PM
Whats that?

Dr. Who's Ship, which can go through time and is a police box with way too much space inside it by bending reality.

kamikasei
2007-02-15, 02:45 PM
Whats that?

I was wondering how you got through describing your flying carriage without making the comparison... the TARDIS (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tardis) is Doctor Who's time machine, which has the external appearance of a largish phone booth that would hold two or three standing people, but is arbitrarily large on the inside.

Gamebird
2007-02-15, 02:51 PM
You don't need the plaster. And besides, making magic items requires starting with a masterwork item. So you get a masterwork sheet of metal 6' in diameter, then enchant it to cast Tenser's Floating Disk under itself. The metal sheet will project a bit over the edge in all directions, but nothing in TFD description says that's a problem. Then proceed with your plan of laying the Portable Hole on it, installing a periscope, etc. You should also install a ladder and a Bottle of Air, just in case.

The hitch to this plan is that you can only move for one hour a day, then the item "lands" and you have to move it manually (ie, carry it, or cast another Tenser's on it). Also, it doesn't move at all unless the item's user is outside, whereupon it will follow them at a max rate as described in TFD.

However, the Spell Compendium has a 3rd level spell similar to TFD that moves independent of the caster, faster, and (I think) for longer. That's what you want to use.

Josh Inno
2007-02-15, 02:52 PM
This will not work because when you apply a portable hole to an object that is not as deep as the object it's self... you have a hole THROUGH said object, not an extra dimensional space lead to by some portal creating object.

kamikasei
2007-02-15, 03:00 PM
This will not work because when you apply a portable hole to an object that is not as deep as the object it's self... you have a hole THROUGH said object, not an extra dimensional space lead to by some portal creating object.

...Based on...?

Indon
2007-02-15, 03:02 PM

So... floating hula hoop (possibly of doom), then?

Fax Celestis
2007-02-15, 03:05 PM
Continual Flame (modified to produce heat as a campfire) + decanter of endless water = steam engine.

Indon
2007-02-15, 03:10 PM
Continual Flame (modified to produce heat as a campfire) + decanter of endless water = steam engine.

Couldn't you use those jars that produce constant blasts of air in order to power a piston engine?

Have two jars and two pistons, alternating such that one is up and the other is down and vice versa. Add a clever valve system so that only one jar is pushing a piston pair at once (and for 'exhaust', too), and voila, internal conjuration engine!

Avicenex
2007-02-15, 03:12 PM

I have no idea where you're getting that from. SRD says:

When spread upon any surface, it causes an extradimensional space 10 feet deep to come into being
So yeah, you do get an extradimensional space. That's what you get to sit in.

Clever idea, by the way.

Jack Mann
2007-02-15, 03:15 PM
You don't need the plaster. And besides, making magic items requires starting with a masterwork item.

No, making magic armor or weapons requires a masterwork item. There are no rules for other masterwork items, except for tools and skill kits. You cannot have, for example, a masterwork bag. Since it's possible to make a bag of holding, one must presume that it's possible to make magical items without the necessity for masterwork.

That Lanky Bugger
2007-02-15, 03:16 PM
Speaking of continual flame...

Continual Flame + Ioun Stone (works best with the useless grey ones which just float around) = Light Source you don't have to hold.

Bryn
2007-02-15, 03:17 PM
The hitch to this plan is that you can only move for one hour a day, then the item "lands" and you have to move it manually (ie, carry it, or cast another Tenser's on it). Also, it doesn't move at all unless the item's user is outside, whereupon it will follow them at a max rate as described in TFD.

Wouldn't making the magic 'Continuous' mean it stays there though - recasting it the moment it runs out or something?

I don't know how to get around the caster-outside thing, though. Perhaps having the caster sitting halfway out the hole, so he could direct it, or something?

That Lanky Bugger
2007-02-15, 03:19 PM
Unfortunately, the specifications of Tenser's Floating Disc specify that it follows the caster. A fine distinction which has ruined many plans revolving around a floating disc which can support a reasonably large amount of weight.

Fax Celestis
2007-02-15, 03:21 PM
So then you sit on the disc and use Telekinesis to bull-rush it around.

Indon
2007-02-15, 03:23 PM
Unfortunately, the specifications of Tenser's Floating Disc specify that it follows the caster. A fine distinction which has ruined many plans revolving around a floating disc which can support a reasonably large amount of weight.

So, what, the disc carrying the portable hole flies into the portable hole?

That _definitely_ makes it a Floating Hole Of Doom, if my knowledge of planar item inversion is correct.

Jack Mann
Which is why you should use Tenser's Greater Floating Disc. It'll cost more as a fourth level spell, but it fixes that irksome problem.

Fax Celestis
Ooh, and you want to make damn sure you don't get in the portable hole with a bag of holding.

Bryn
2007-02-15, 03:27 PM
Where can I find this Greater Floating Disc? The Spell Compendium?

Fax Celestis
2007-02-15, 03:28 PM
Where can I find this Greater Floating Disc? The Spell Compendium?

Yes, in the Spell Compendium.

Misat
Ooh, and you want to make damn sure you don't get in the portable hole with a bag of holding.

Maybe I do...that would certainly make it 'of Doom'

ThunderEagle
Actually:

If not otherwise directed, it maintains a constant interval of 5 feet between itself and you
Emphasis mine. It can actually do this

Edit Simu'ed!

Jack Mann
2007-02-15, 03:29 PM
Indeed. Just like Tenser's, except that it needn't stay within three feet of the ground. It does need to remain within fifteen feet of the caster, mind, which may be a problem depending on how you judge extradimensional spaces. However, you can concentrate and have it move at a speed of twenty feet.

Josh Inno
2007-02-15, 03:47 PM
...Based on...?

*goes to look it up.*
Er... my own... mistaken... remembrances? I could have sworn it worked that way. Maybe it did in 3.0

ZekeArgo
2007-02-15, 04:02 PM
*goes to look it up.*
Er... my own... mistaken... remembrances? I could have sworn it worked that way. Maybe it did in 3.0

Nope, opened a 10' extradimensional space in 3.0 as well. Perhaps you were remembering "Who Framed Rodger Rabbit"?

Indon
2007-02-15, 04:05 PM
*goes to look it up.*

That's a pretty cool portable hole variant, though.

Neek
2007-02-15, 04:30 PM
While this idea is awesome in so many ways, I've a few questions:

1).Once turned into a magical item, this plaster clam of TFD, who's considered the caster? I'd guess the one who activates the effect... but if it's a continuous event, then what?

2). Slightly altered, this would make for an awesome prison.

Indon
2007-02-15, 04:32 PM
1).Once turned into a magical item, this plaster clam of TFD, who's considered the caster? I'd guess the one who activates the effect... but if it's a continuous event, then what?

I imagine the user, since the user of the magic item generally benefits from magic items as if he were target and/or caster when applicable.

Bryn
2007-02-15, 04:35 PM
1) I don't know. Perhaps, with DMs permission, rule it so that whoever last touched it is the caster, or perhaps have a 'Pilot's chair' in the portable hole with the person in the chair being the caster.

2) True. You'd need a Bottle of Air or something inside for him to breath, though.

ExHunterEmerald
2007-02-15, 04:40 PM
As long as we're in the "strange creations using magic items" mode...

Eberrowned: The Lightning Railgun

1: Contract House Orien for a length of lightning rail track--for the evil inclined of the audience, go ahead and steal some. I recommend some from Thrane.
2: Purchase some conductor stones and a wagon.
3: Hire a craftsman to design you ballista bolts, and a wizard to bind elementals.
4: Mount the rail length on the wagon, and add the Conductor Stone assembly.
5: Begin binding air elementals--it doesn't matter what kind--to the bolts. If you want to reuse them, or just like to destroy objects, make the bolts out of adamantium.
6: Load the bolt along the back of the railgun assembly.
7: The assembly of conductor stones can propel a massive train car at speeds of approximately thirty MPH. It's now launching ballista shots at insane rates, and if they're made of adamantium, piercing walls, objects, people, and whatever else is unfortunate enough to be in your sights.
8: Your DM will probably resign around here.

Mc. Lovin'
2007-02-15, 05:01 PM
1) I don't know. Perhaps, with DMs permission, rule it so that whoever last touched it is the caster, or perhaps have a 'Pilot's chair' in the portable hole with the person in the chair being the caster.

In my opinion (DM) no matter if the spell is continuous or not, the caster is the person who cast the spell, unless the rules state otherwise or you can find a rule to change this

Indon
2007-02-15, 05:05 PM
As long as we're in the "strange creations using magic items" mode...

Eberrowned: The Lightning Railgun

1: Contract House Orien for a length of lightning rail track--for the evil inclined of the audience, go ahead and steal some. I recommend some from Thrane.
2: Purchase some conductor stones and a wagon.
3: Hire a craftsman to design you ballista bolts, and a wizard to bind elementals.
4: Mount the rail length on the wagon, and add the Conductor Stone assembly.
5: Begin binding air elementals--it doesn't matter what kind--to the bolts. If you want to reuse them, or just like to destroy objects, make the bolts out of adamantium.
6: Load the bolt along the back of the railgun assembly.
7: The assembly of conductor stones can propel a massive train car at speeds of approximately thirty MPH. It's now launching ballista shots at insane rates, and if they're made of adamantium, piercing walls, objects, people, and whatever else is unfortunate enough to be in your sights.
8: Your DM will probably resign around here.

So, is it really a railgun, or is it just a gauss gun that uses a rail?

*sacrifices catgirl at altar*

ExHunterEmerald
2007-02-15, 05:07 PM
Well, if you use the adamantine, it's gonna be wallclipping like a CS noob.

crazedloon
2007-02-15, 05:30 PM
So, is it really a railgun, or is it just a gauss gun that uses a rail?

*sacrifices catgirl at altar*

*W00t my chance to kill catgirls*

No making a rail gun would be a lot easier all you need is an electric source (say shocking grasp but more powerful the better :smallbiggrin: ) 2 metal rods (made out of adamantine to prevent warping and weir and tear) then place metal object (your bolts) in-between these rods touching the rods and grab each rod. The electricity will travel up the rods taking the bolt with it at supersonic speed capable of destroying any modern day (and probably future) anything. For more fun place your group fighter between the rail when he annoys you he will go flying making a great projectile and be quite toasty.

*they are so cute when they die*

Gamebird
2007-02-15, 05:33 PM
In my opinion (DM) no matter if the spell is continuous or not, the caster is the person who cast the spell, unless the rules state otherwise or you can find a rule to change this

This: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicItemBasics.htm says nothing about the caster having to be present to direct a continuous magic item or any other kind. It lays out the four ways of activating a magic item and none of them involve having the item's creator nearby.

Indon
2007-02-15, 05:34 PM
I don't understand how that addresses my question as to how the lightning rail works in Eberron...

ZekeArgo
2007-02-15, 05:38 PM
I don't understand how that addresses my question as to how the lightning rail works in Eberron...

Essentially floating stones (the conductor stones) are pushed along by elementals (Air IIRC, though might be fire). So no, less like a rail gun/maglift and more like... a floating disc being pushed by someone.

ExHunterEmerald
2007-02-15, 05:54 PM
Essentially floating stones (the conductor stones) are pushed along by elementals (Air IIRC, though might be fire). So no, less like a rail gun/maglift and more like... a floating disc being pushed by someone.

Well, the stones themselves propel the air elemental-bound item along.

martyboy74
2007-02-15, 05:58 PM
Ah, so more "hovercraft" than "magrail".

Indon
2007-02-15, 06:00 PM
Hmm, interesting.

So, considering the sudden terminus, it's more like "Skydiving", at least as far as the elementals are concerned.

Skydiving with a magical running start.

InaVegt
2007-02-15, 06:06 PM
Ah, so more "hovercraft" than "magrail".
Well, the conductor stones repel eachother, so it's kinda like those new magnetic trains which float above the rail. The air elementals just give it motion.

Dark
2007-02-15, 06:26 PM
I still don't see how any of that translates to "It's now launching ballista shots at insane rates" though.

There seems to be a gap between steps 5 and 6, where the device suddenly becomes a "railgun assembly" that you can load bolts into.

SpiderBrigade
2007-02-15, 06:51 PM
Well, since the bolts are what have the propulsion, it's like...rockets, really. You just use the rails as a track, at the beginning.

This whole thing required DM collaboration, as the lightning rail is not fully fleshed out in the rules. Which is probably because they knew people would try things like this, given a chance.

Dark
2007-02-15, 07:36 PM
I found some (http://boards1.wizards.com/archive/index.php/t-344055.html) threads (http://boards1.wizards.com/archive/index.php/t-292908.html) which discuss this.

So basically these bolts are pulled by an air elemental, and the conductor stones just reduce friction, they don't push anything along. I don't think they'll help in this case since most of the bolt's trajectory will be in normal air.

An air elemental has a 100 ft movement rate, which means 400 ft per 6 seconds when running with a light load. This works out to about 45 mph, less than half (http://www.romans-in-britain.org.uk/mil_roman_artillery.htm) the speed of a normal ballista bolt. So it's not going to be very useful as a gun... but maybe you can pull your Floating Hole of Doom with it?

Thiel
2007-02-15, 07:52 PM
Or you could use a railgun to launch it with. :D

Nahal
2007-02-15, 10:03 PM
I like the idea of a gobbo cannon, though it might also be fun to enchant a mithril tube to cast a telekinesis (violent thrust) on whatever is placed inside. Point and shoot. Congrats! you've invented firearms.

Whamme
2007-02-15, 10:38 PM
*goes to look it up.*

In 2nd Ed there was a special Portable Hole in the Adam's Wrath module that did what you describe, but even then the actual _rules_ were different.

Attilargh
2007-02-16, 05:01 AM
On the topic of crazy inventions:

Attilargh's Automatic Repeating Crossbow:

Take a repeating crossbow.
Replace the loading crank with a small water wheel.
Take a Decanter of Endless Water and affix it to the crossbow so that the water will revolve the wheel.
Repeat steps 1 to 3.
Wield both akimbo, firing your full amount of attacks. (TWF is preferred.)
Profit.

Attilargh's Repeating Crossbow Magazine of Endless Ammunition:

Take a repeating crossbow magazine.
Get a psychic warrior.
Have the psychic warrior make the magazine an universal item that manifests Call Weaponry (crossbow bolt) whenever there is room in it.
Affix the Magazine to Attilargh's Automatic Repeating Crossbow.
Profit.

There probably is an easier way to do this that doesn't involve spending 11,400 gold pieces per weapon, but meh. :tongue:

Ninja Chocobo
2007-02-16, 05:47 AM
Attilargh, nice template. I think I'll steal it.
NinjaChocobo's Duct Tape:
Step one: Find a large roll of parchment.
Step two: Apply Salve of Slipperiness to one side of it.
Step three: Apply Sovereign Glue to the other side of it.
Step four: Roll the parchment, Salve of Slipperiness side up.
Step five: Profit!

NinjaChocobo's Quick-and-Easy Re-usable Prison of Drowning (Warning: only works on creatures of your size category or smaller):
Step one: Acquire a Portable Hole, tower shield, and Decanter of Endless Water.
Step two: Attach the Portable Hole to the tower shield.
Step three: Wait until opportunity arises to use it.
Step four: Place the Decanter of Endless Water inside the Portable Hole.
Step five: Bull Rush your enemy. This should send him into the Portable Hole.
Step six: Place the tower shield handle up on the floor.
Step seven: Attach the tower shield to the floor.
Step eight: Wait.
Step nine: Retrieve victims' corpses from the Portable Hole, or at least their possessions.
Step ten: Profit!

Gamebird
2007-02-16, 10:17 AM
On the topic of crazy inventions:

Attilargh's Automatic Repeating Crossbow:
Attilargh's Repeating Crossbow Magazine of Endless Ammunition:

The first one won't work in a timely manner, plus attaching a jar of water at least a quart in size would unbalance the weapon (not to mention the water wheel, keeping it steady enough for the gearing to work, etc.)

The second is quite clever. I might include something like that in my campaign.

Attilargh
2007-02-16, 11:34 AM
The first one won't work in a timely manner, plus attaching a jar of water at least a quart in size would unbalance the weapon (not to mention the water wheel, keeping it steady enough for the gearing to work, etc.).
It's not like they got the synchronization gear (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synchronization_gear) right at the first time either. Only a matter of trial, error and a few injured gnomes. :wink:

This post was brought to you by Dislocating Weapons Inc., the premier escape device manufacturer.

"Dislocating Weapons: For those moments when you really, really want to be somewhere else."

Missing Shoe
2007-02-16, 05:22 PM
Sorry to go back to the original post, but I have a question. The picture definitely helps, but I still got a little lost. What is the lid made out of? If the answer is a floating disc, than it wouldnt work because they remain perfectly level the entire time, and thus you couldnt open it as a hatch door.

I'm sure I'm misunderstanding the build, but I just want to check.:smallsmile:

Bryn
2007-02-16, 05:28 PM
The thing on the top is a metal panel with a hinge on it, designed to fit over the top of the Floating Disc. The hinge would use some sort of clamp assembly to fit onto the Floating Disc.

martyboy74
2007-02-16, 05:44 PM
It's a metal lid, to keep the elements out. Possibly invisibilized to let you look out.

Josh Inno
2007-02-16, 06:21 PM
I just remembered where I got that stupid hole mistake from. It was a ruling in a home game. Ug. I hate it when I make mistakes like that.

But if I had gotten it from a cartoon, it would have been from warner brothers cartoons.

Tor the Fallen
2007-02-16, 06:48 PM

NinjaChocobo's Quick-and-Easy Re-usable Prison of Drowning (Warning: only works on creatures of your size category or smaller):
Step nine: Retrieve victims' corpses from the Portable Hole, or at least their possessions.

Better yet: portable hole armor. It'd be like 90% concealment, except you could put a gelatinous cube in it.

Josh Inno
2007-02-16, 07:06 PM
Better yet: portable hole armor. It'd be like 90% concealment, except you could put a gelatinous cube in it.

Saaay... maybe -that's- how they did all those magic tricks with people going through big solid objects, or each other's bodies.

DaMullet
2007-02-16, 09:44 PM

Dang it, you forget a step in both of these.

There's always a "???" before "Profit!" ALWAYS!

ThunderEagle
2007-03-03, 04:15 PM
Okay then, my turn to contribute. Its more Tenser's floating disk madness from me.

First up:
Tenser's floating car
There are two variants on this: one with 'keys' and one with none.
Step 1: Make a Tenser's floating disk-shaped case. Have a slight gap at one end for line of effect allowance
Step 2: Make a body around the disk case. there should be a seat 10 feet in front of it.
Step 3 (optional): Make a pin of Tenser's floating disk, use-activated.
Step 4: Make the gears. This requires a druid and haste. Together you make a use-activated item of expeditious retreat, and one of longstrider. Place them next to the seat.
Step 5: put a floating disk in the disk-shaped case. Command it to stay 10 feet from you.
Step 6: Command it to come within 5 feet of you. you immediately start going.
Step 7 (optional): Put on expeditious retreat or longstrider for +30 feet or +10 feet speed increases respectively.
Step 8: to stop, command the disk to go to 10 feet from you, then dissmiss it.
Step 9:???
Step10: Profit!

And:
Tenser's train
Step 1: Buy or make a train
Step 2: Put a few Tenser's floating disk-shaped case and use-activated item of Tenser's floating disk in each corner of each carriage.
Step 3: Activate all the disk items and make them stay at the right distance. Go to the driver's chair.
Step 4: (optional): add items of expeditious retreat and longstrider likein the car.
Step 5: Bring all the disks 5 feet forward.
Step 6: to stop get them back to the original places. No need to switch off.
Step 7: ???
Step 8: Profit!

that is all from me :)

Collin152
2007-03-03, 04:37 PM
Would not the command to come closer override the command to stay this far rom me?

ThunderEagle
2007-03-04, 05:28 AM
It would. This makes the disk push the car or train forward, and that pushes you forward, creating an endless loop of movement up to your base land speed (which can be increased with longstrider or expeditious retreat). If you mean the stopping command, you can avoid that by specifying distances.

Anyway, I have another crazy device, inspired by the tactical nuke.

Super-power drop caps
Step 1: Get a tiny paper bag (a bit bigger than a delayed blast fireball)
Step 2: Put a blob of quintessence in the bag
Step 3: Put a ready-to-blow delayed blast fireball in the quintessence
Step 4: Tie off the bag
Step 5: Repeat steps 1-4 for ages, until you have a large number
Step 6: to activate, throw one on the ground. Bag breaks, DBFB goes off
Step 7: ???
Step 8: Profit!

martyboy74
2007-03-04, 08:46 AM
The Explosive runes bomb is better; no quintessence required. Although, the DBF is nicer if you're using the explosive metamagic.

ThunderEagle
2007-03-04, 09:00 AM
both of those are very true. The I used DBFBs is because you can't make throw-down explosives with explosive runes. Another reason is the drop caps require no magic to activate, unlike the explosive runes.

Foxer
2007-03-04, 09:19 AM
Liked all of these! I've got a homebrew setting where these sort of things are very common, especially mills powered by decanters of endless water, so I might pinch some of them,

ThunderEagle
2007-03-05, 09:51 AM
And here is another piece of floating disk power:

Tenser's floating tank
(includes handy price tags for each stage!)
Step 1: make four CL10 command-word pins of Tenser's floating disk. (64000gp)
Step 2: Make one CL10 command word plate of Telekinesis (90000gp)
Step 3: Make a tank chassis. A weight of about 2000lb is what I would go for. A solid adamantine chassis three inches thick has hardness 20 and 120hp. That will do. For weight and price, we will assume we need 2 huge shields for the chassis, 2 large shields for the turret, 3 for the barrel and 4 for the disk slots. This is for heavy steel shields. They weigh 285lb for all of them. this is great, as it means more shells.(25520gp)
Step 4: Make or buy some shells. these are use activated one-shot ceramic fireball shells. they are CL10. each shell costs 1500gp. we shall take 50 shots. Each shot can be fired 100ft instantly, or fly at 20ft/round as slow rockets. (75000gp)
Step 5: Stick it all together. I'll add 100gp for various expenses (seats etc) and we will add a command word Unseen servant as loader. (18100gp)
Step 6: ???
Step 7: Profit!

Total cost minus shells: 223140gp
Cost per battle: 75000gp

Crew: 2

Additional options:
Continuous reverse gravity loading tube: 182000gp (requires CL 13 caster)
Command word CL10 clairvoyance aiming scope: 54000gp
Use activated CL10 magic missile turret: 20000gp
Use activated CL10 pair of tubes of sending (radio): 200000gp

More addons will be added when I (or anyone else, for that matter) come up with one

Edit: dropping the CL of the pins could help the price, as the tank is quite light