PDA

View Full Version : [RACES] Aelfans (PEACH)

Khantalas
2007-02-15, 04:56 PM
Basically, I have this campaign setting which I cooked up myself. I've never gotten around to actually detail it greatly, but by adding small details from time to time, I've gotten to a point where I can actually start working on it seriously.

Now, one of the first things I decided was that elves wouldn't fit in. They felt too fey due to the heavy influence of Tolkien and Norse mythology, and I actually created an "elf" monster to emphasize the sylvan-ness (?) of elves. However, this left a race slot open which I filled with...

AELFANS!

So, here they are, the latest game mechanics of aelfans, for your viewing and mocking pleasure!

(Yes, they are too much like elves, but it's fluff, not crunch, that matters.)

Aelfans

Aelfans are the oldest of Those Who Came Later. They are fascinating without being terrible, proud without being haughty and logical without being emotionless. They are good at whatever they do, be it bringing joy to others, delving into arcane and mental power or slaughtering those too weak to defend themselves.

Personality: Aelfans are, before all, beings of mind. Although they may be warriors that depend on strength, rogues that depend on agility or bards that depend on sheer force of personality, an aelfan always holds logic and thinking above all else. Even the most romantic aelfan is unlikely to go after his emotions if his logic would state otherwise.
Aelfans are not quick to have friends or make enemies. Their theoretically infinite lives let them judge others for decades before deciding how to respond to them. However, once they make up their minds, they do not change it unless there are extreme circumstances.

Physical Description: Aelfans are tall and well-built, standing between 5 1/2 and 6 1/2 feet and weighing 120 to 180 pounds, with the females slightly taller and lighter than males. Their appearances are diverse, although not as much as humans, and nearly always beautiful. Most aelfans have light colored skin, however it is not uncommon to see dark skinned aelfans. Their hair colors range from black to blonde and even naturally white, with metallic tones often seen. An aelfan always has a streak of hair with a different color, silver being the usual streak color for dark haired aelfans. Their eyes are slender, with colors of gems and precious stones such as emerald, ruby or topaz. Aelfans lack body hair, and although they can grow facial hair, it is rare for an aelfan to do so. Aelfans prefer to dress in elegant yet utilitarian clothing, easy to wear and take off. Aelfans are considered to be adults by the age of 50 and their bodies can live to be 1000 years old.

Relations: Aelfans do not form friendships easily, but they are not likely to turn away people, seeing that everyone -even humans- have their uses. Aelfans see dwarves and gnomes as good companions in battle and to discuss technology with, although the unfocused and ever curious nature of gnomes and the reserved personality of dwarves may lead to such relations being difficult. Halflings are seen as short and playful friends, despite the fact that they often find ways to get into trouble. Orcs are considered to be a beatiful and intelligent race by aelfans, and are almost considered to be their equals, but their emotional nature is found annoying. Humans are possibly the only race that invokes the pity of aelfans: they have potential to be great and they grow and learn quickly, but their short lives make such potential go to waste quite quickly.

Alignment: Aelfans' logical and rational nature are usually mixed with their love of freedom, so most aelfans lean towards neutral on an ethical outlook. However, the society of aelfans do not have any strong opinions on the value of life, and each aelfan has his own view of the topic. Aelfans are equally likely to be good or evil.

Aelfan Lands: Aelfans usually hail from one of these two places: Aelfaindor, the homeland of "true" aelfans (roughly meaning "The Land of the People" in Aelfanian), and from the Deepwoods, the home of deep aelfans. Aelfaindor is an island covered with forests and Deepwoods is an area just north of Xynach where trees miles long grow on a deep land. Aelfan cities are built to take advantage of these trees, using thick, intertwining branches as roads and the trees themselves as houses without harming the tree itself, although structures standing alone are pretty common and architecture is one of the prides of aelfan culture. Although they do not respect nature more than humans, they realize its power and that harming it would harm them in the long run, so they avoid destroying the wilderness.
Aelfans in human lands are usually sages and advisors to nobles, or crafters of beautiful things, magical or otherwise. Only rarely do aelfan warriors take residence in human lands, but those that do so are widely famous.

Religion: Because they have no afterlife, aelfans are indifferent to religion, respecting the power of gods but not truly worshipping them. Those who are inclined towards such worship tend towards El'hair, the creator of the aelfan race, Enekthor, the god of knowledge or Gaial, the goddess of art and nature.

Language: Aelfans speak Aelfanian, a language that has dozens of words for magical and technological concepts but an average of two words for emotions. The language, when spoken plainly, sounds beautiful but cold, having a rhyme like a song but lacking a soul. When written, Aelfanian has a script that has several letters for each sound and a different way to connect each letter with the next. Despite being so complicated, Aelfanian is one of the easiest languages to learn, and it is quite easy to add a "soul" to songs and poetry once one understands the details of the tongue, making it a favorite of bards everywhere.

Names: Aelfans have three names: their true name, given by their parents, their summons name, chosen by themselves, and their clan name. The true name of an aelfan is shared by only those whom the aelfan feel close to, and even the parents of an aelfan cannot refer to him with it unless he allows it. The summons name of an aelfan is the name everyone refers to the aelfan by. The clan name is used in formal settings and where the aelfan feels distance is for the best. The clan name is a matter of honor to every aelfan, and insulting it is one of the worst acts that one can commit in the eyes of the aelfan.
Aelfan true names are gender neutral, and even summons names were started to be considered masculine or feminine only recently.

True Names: Alerian, Asaraph, Beiul, Deiana, Glourayal, Jydan, Jydanel, Sereneam, Tranius, Xycalarth, Zei'zeth.

Masculine Summons Names: Adar, Ceius, Halaran, Kellester, Kyreth, Oaren, Rym.

Feminine Summons Names: Baelia, Cyra, Daereth, Diorel, Esseus, Iarede, Katana, Myr, Pharaen, Zyren

Clan Names: Aereth, Brealar, Fareth, Galador, Hakeim, Qeareph, Uaman, Vyrene.

Aelfan Racial Traits

+2 Dexterity, +2 Intelligence, -2 Constitution.
Medium: As medium creatures, aelfans have no special bonuses or penalties due to size.
Aelfan base land speed is 30 feet.
Infravision: Aelfans can see in the dark better than humans do. They have infravision up to 60 feet, which lets them function normally without light and gives them a +2 bonus on Spot checks to notice invisible creatures.
+2 racial bonus on Knowledge checks: Aelfans are naturally inclined to learn.
+2 racial bonus on Listen, Spot and Search checks: Aelfans are naturally observent.
Soulless: Aelfans have no souls. Any effects that would affect their souls simply do not work on them. Raise Dead, Resurrection and similar effects do work, however, by reconnecting the aelfan's mind to his body. In addition, an aelfan that dies of old age can be resurrected, although not raised.
Weapon Familiarity: Aelfans may treat bastard swords as martial weapons, rather than exotic weapons.
+2 racial bonus against mind-affecting effects.
Automatic Languages: Common and Aelfanian. Bonus Languages: Abyssal, Auran, Aquan, Celestial, Draconic, Dwarven, Giant, Gnome, Human, Ignan, Infernal, Orc and Terran. Replace Human by two regional languages if applicable. Aelfans appreciate knowledge and have little problem with language barriers in their quest to learn more.
Favored Class: Psion or Wizard. At first level, an aelfan chooses one of these classes to be his favored class. Once that choice is made, it cannot be changed.

I don't know what their level adjustment would be, so comments welcome.

Next up: Silver Aelfans and Song Aelfans.

Khantalas
2007-02-16, 05:18 AM
Oh, come on people! Say something!

Holocron Coder
2007-02-16, 07:31 AM
Interesting sounding race :)

The only thing that immediately jumped out at me is that DnD 3.5 doesn't use infravision anymore; races generally have low-light or dark-vision.

Looking at it a bit more, a +2 to all Knowledge checks is like having skill bonuses to... 8? skills. That may not be a bad thing.

Otherwise, it looks good. May not need a level adjustment at all, IMO.

Khantalas
2007-02-16, 08:23 AM
I know that D&D doesn't use infravision anymore, but I brought it back.

Basically, it works like darkvision, except for a small unnamed bonus and the fact that it cannot be used in place of darkvision for feats and stuff.

Dancing_Zephyr
2007-02-16, 06:43 PM
Too strong to be LA 0
Too weak to be LA+1
I think there are discrepencies with the fluff and the crunch. Beings that put emotions aside for logic, even if they are free spirited would be lawful. There is no real reason that you give for the +2 Dex. You say that they are usually beautiful, but don't give them a Cha bonus. You make them sound like they are perfect. Smart, elegant, confident but not arrogant, haughty or whimsical. They can learn quickly, are observant, are resistant to mind-affecting magics. They have no souls, but can be ressurected.

In short there is no down side to this race. Elves are arrogant, dwarfs are gruff, gnomes are mischeivous, halflings are thieves and humans aren't special. Your race has no downside.

Khantalas
2007-02-16, 07:02 PM
Bah. Beauty isn't charisma. Then orcs would need a massive charisma bonus, and that would totally break them.

Of course, you have no idea what I'm talking about.

Dexterity is there because it fills the slot of elves. They sound perfect because that's how everybody sees them.

Anyway, let's make it into a LA +1 race. What do you propose for me to add?

Fax Celestis
2007-02-16, 08:34 PM
If you're going for LA+1, make them of the Fey (Aelfan) type, so that X Person spells (charm, reduce, etc) don't affect them. Make them ageless.

Give them a few SLAs, PLAs, bonus essentia, PP, bonus on binding checks, bonus to truename checks, & al, as desired.

Conversely, instead of the SLAs, give them a swim/climb speed with a racial bonus to a related check.

Khantalas
2007-02-16, 08:40 PM
But I don't want them to be fey! That's why elves are there for!

Fax Celestis
2007-02-16, 08:45 PM
Then make them...Monstrous Humanoid? Outsider (Native, Aelfan)? Dragon? Vermin? Something.

EDIT: Hell, make them the Plant type.

Khantalas
2007-02-16, 08:45 PM
Vermin... Mmm...

No! Silly Khan! Stop thinking of hot insecoid females!

Fax Celestis
2007-02-16, 08:49 PM
Actually, if you really to be odd, make them Animal-type. That'd be odd.

Khantalas
2007-02-16, 08:53 PM
And if we get serious?

Fax Celestis
2007-02-16, 08:55 PM
I dunno. Where're these guys from? They sound really lawful from the description, and could be Outsider (Lawful, Aelfan, Native), originating from Mechanus or something.

Khantalas
2007-02-16, 09:02 PM
Wait, let me explain the cosmonology.

Basically, the world people live on is a globe somewhere between the heaven (the day sky) and the hell (the night sky), surrounded by four moons representing technology, magic, life and death. There is a cortex in the core of the central globe, which protects the Gate (a "plane" which allows transportation between these "planes"). There are no other planes. No Mechanus (the closest thing would be the moon of magic, where order is the new black).

And I like humanoid. Any further and the reason I removed the elves from the playable races will be null and void due to these guys being too inhuman.

Fax Celestis
2007-02-16, 09:12 PM
Okay, so perhaps a racial climb/swim/burrow speed, depending on primary environment? And SLA/PP/Essentia/&c.

Khantalas
2007-02-16, 09:13 PM
Speaking of which, how would not having souls affect aelfan incarnates?

Raistlin1040
2007-02-16, 10:53 PM
I'd say a +1 LA maybe.