PDA

View Full Version : Selfless Swordsman PrC

enderrocksonall
2007-02-15, 05:14 PM
This thread http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34687 reminded me a lot of the Ruroni Kenshin anime and I decided to create a PrC based off of the Kenshin character so here it is let me know what you think. It seems a little overpowered to me but every time i say that about something everyone else tells me it sucks. Anyway here it is:

Selfless Swordsman
Requirements:
Alignment: Any good
BAB: 6+
Feats: Dodge, Exotic Weapon Proficiency Katana, Combat Reflexes, Iajutsu Master
Skills: Tumble 5 ranks, Jump 5 ranks, Iajutsu focus 5 ranks

Level BAB Fort Ref Will Special
1 +1 +2 +2 +0 Iajutsu Fighter, Improved jump
2 +2 +3 +3 +0 Fast movement +10
3 +3 +3 +3 +1 Defensive Focus
4 +4 +4 +4 +1 Battojutsu Style
5 +5 +4 +4 +1 Fast movement +20
6 +6/+1 +5 +5 +2 Self Sacrifice
7 +7/+2 +5 +5 +2 Improved Battojutsu
8 +8/+3 +6 +6 +2 Fast movement + 30
9 +9/+4 +6 +6 +3 Deflect arrows
10 +10/+5 +7 +7 +3 Battojutsu Mastery, Exotic weapon prof.

Iajutsu Fighter: You may use the benefit of the Iajutsu master feat a number of times per day equal to your Selfless Swordsman class level. If this ability is used to perform an attack roll you may add additional damage to your damage roll (as indicated by the Iajutsu focus skill on page 59 of the Oriental Adventures guide) even when your opponent is not flat-footed.

Improved jump: When a Selfless Swordsman would be attacked with a melee weapon, he may make a standing high jump attempt to get out of the way (DC 15+reach of the opponent). When using this ability, his jump check total is not halved. He may use this ability a number of times per day equal to his Selfless Swordsman class level.

Fast Movement: At 2nd level, a Selfless Swordsman’s land speed increases to +10 of his base speed. This increase becomes +20 at 5th level and +30 at 8th level.

Defensive Focus: As a move action, a 3rd level or higher Selfless Swordsman may focus himself and be totally aware of his enemies. He may apply his AC bonus from the Dodge feat to every enemy within 30 feet for one round. A selfless swordsman may use this ability a number of times per day equal to ½ his class level.

Battojutsu Style: As a full round action, a 4th level Selfless Swordsman may adopt a stance of readiness with his sword sheathed. While in this stance the Selfless Swordsman may not take any action other than talking. He may hold this stance for a number of rounds equal to his wisdom modifier and may at any time release himself from this stance. While in this stance, he may at any time make an attack against any enemy that he would normally threaten with his sword drawn. This attack is made using the Iajutsu focus skill and the Selfless Swordsman may add a + 5 insight bonus to this roll. A selfless swordsman may not use the Battojutsu style in conjunction with the defensive focus ability.

Self Sacrifice: At 6th level the Selfless Swordsman has the option to use his defensive focus ability to defend his allies at the expense of his own health. If an ally within 10 feet of a defensively focused Selfless Swordsman would be attacked by a melee weapon, the Selfless Swordsman may expend his focus to switch places with that ally. The attack is rolled against the Selfless Swordsman’s normal AC, and all damage that results is dealt to him.

Improved Battojutsu: At 7th level a Selfless Swordsman has deepened his understanding of the art of Battojutsu. When in Battojustu stance, the Selfless Swordsman has the option to make a charge attack at an enemy instead of attacking an enemy he threatens. Any opponent wishing to make an attack of opportunity against the charging Selfless Swordsman must make an opposed reflex save in place of an attack roll. If a 7th level Selfless Swordsman in Battojutsu stance does not charge, he may instead move up to 10 feet after attacking an enemy he threatens. He may only move in the direction of the enemy he attacks and may move through that enemy without penalty.

Deflect Arrows: At 9th level a Selfless Swordsman gains deflect arrows as a bonus feat even if he does not meet the prerequisites for the feat. In addition, he may deflect projectiles fired at allies who are adjacent to him.

Battojutsu Mastery: At 10th level, a selfless Swordsman has perfected every aspect of the art of Battojutsu. If the Selfless swordsman’s battojutsu strike connects, the opponent is nauseated for 1d4 rounds and must make a fortitude save (DC 15+number of extra damage dice from Iajutsu focus) or take double damage from the attack. Additionally, should the attack fail to hit, the Selfless swordsman may make a second attack using the sheath of the sword. This attack is does not gain the normal +5 insight bonus or require a fortitude save but does induce nausea for a single round. The sheath deals 1d4 base damage plus any additional damage from Iajutsu focus.

Exotic weapon Proficiency: The Selfless Swordsman has trained so thouroughly to perfect his mastery of the Battojutsu strike that he has gained the proficiency to use even his sheath as a weapon. When using a sword sheath, the Selfless swordsman may treat it as a weapon with which he is proficient.

jjpickar
2007-02-15, 05:27 PM
Cool! I've always wanted to make a Kenshin character but couldn't reconcile myself to an armorless fighter.

enderrocksonall
2007-02-15, 05:32 PM
I kind of made this so that a monk could go to it at 8th level. And none of the abilities except the fast movement require a lack of armor so it seems ok for the style I was going for.

enderrocksonall
2007-02-16, 03:02 PM
Bump!!!

Come on people post!!!

Behold_the_Void
2007-02-16, 03:55 PM
Honestly, what Kenshin is isn't a prestige class. He is merely using his vast array of techniques to serve good as part of his redemption. As it is, I don't really like the flavor of this. It's like with Miko, she is culturally a samurai despite not having any levels in the samurai class. Kenshin is a wandering, benevolent ronin, but he doesn't need a class or prestige class to tell him that's what he is. All that's fluff.

Closet_Skeleton
2007-02-16, 04:37 PM
Kenshin is a fighter but the pre-existing Iaijutsu Master Prc works well. Otherwise Duelist but that's a very similar class to Iaijutsu Master.

He needs a Prc because dnd is entirely based of equipment. Unless you're someone like Doctor Doom or Batman; a lot of fictional characters aren't going to work in DnD because they don't have 10+ pieces of potent equipment. An non-monk unarmoured melee character in DnD needs a Prc to work.

elliott20
2007-02-16, 05:03 PM
That's because D&D defense system is based mostly around armor. The entire "parry" system is strangely absent in D&D, which makes characters like Kenshin very difficult to put together. Without armor, it's hard to really pump your AC up high enough to actually be able to stand toe to toe with armored THW fighter.

But that's neither here nor there.

I personally don't really like the flavor of this class. Much of what Kenshin does can already be duplicated with existing materials out there and having a PrC created just for him is not really necessary in my opinion.

Behold_the_Void
2007-02-16, 05:31 PM
Personally I'd make Kenshin a Swordsage or possibly a warblade, maybe with some custom Maneuvers to give him the appropriate feel.

enderrocksonall
2007-02-16, 07:43 PM
My problem with the Iajutsu Master PrC is that to be effective, the character has to already have absolutely stellar stats. A bonus from Int, a bonus from Cha, a martial character needs a high str or dex (dex in this case), and since most of his abilities are unarmored, he probably came from the monk class and needs a high wis. With all these high stats, you might as well go paladin.

The reason I wanted to make a class like this is to replicate the abilities of kenshin all in one class without making the class so attribute dependant.

I realize I suck at flavor and probably the mechanics of making a PrC, so anyone who would like to take a shot at reworking the class please do.

Also, as far as the individual abilities are concerned, how is the balance? You guys are saying that Kenshin's abilities can already be duplicated with existing material, can you guys give me examples?

Skydiving_Ninja
2007-02-16, 09:42 PM
What's the HD?