PDA

View Full Version : [IC] Ninth Company

cosmonuts
2014-05-21, 03:23 AM
Out-of-character thread. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?350575-OOC-Ninth-Company&p=17500460)

PROLOGUE

Evening two days ago, the captain asked around the garrison for the scout leader. When the leader was nowhere to be found, the captain sighed and left for the nearby town of Cuneo, expecting the leader to be drunk at some tavern thereabouts. The captain never returned.

Lieutenant Isner, the scout leader, returned later that evening. He stumbled into bed, drunk. When he woke up yesterday morning, the garrison had realized the captain was missing. Isner took command and ordered the garrison's members not to go out drinking any more. He sent a squad to Cuneo. They returned empty handed. Unsure of what else to do, Isner sent a report to Castle Respisa.

This morning they were loudly awaken by shouting. The lieutenant groggily awoke but reached for his sword.

"You don't need that, Lieutenant," said Major Kuyomi.

Kuyomi was a mage of the Sixth Cadre, Third Battalion. She was a striking woman, definitely foreign. Isner was foreign as well, but he came from a nearby region. Kuyomi, on the other hand, was from across the world, and spoke without an accent, a testament to the reach and power of the Empire.

All the more appropriate, then, the Kuyomi was a high ranking officer in the Sixth. While not as "prestigious" as the Ninth, the Sixth nonetheless commanded quite a bit of respect, maintained a solid public image, and performed at a higher level than most other mage divisions. It was where most wizards wanted to end up after graduation.

"Ma'am," said Isner, stifling a yawn, "the capt—"

"I'm aware. We will find him in due time, Lieutenant. I was looking for documents, delivered here two days ago by our mages."

Isner had not heard of this. But someone else had.

A garrison soldier, who had been timidly looking at Kuyomi and blushing, said, "Uh, m-ma'am?"

"What's your name, soldier?" said Kuyomi, her face impassive.

"J-Jared. I received the f-file and gave it t-to the captain."

"And then?"

"And then he looked for me," said Isner, not wishing to hear Jared stutter any longer. "Unfortunately, I was dead drunk in a Cuneo tavern. Horseman's Flagon."

"Your honesty is impressive," said Kuyomi. "You wrote in your report you were drunk when you were supposed to be on duty."

"Yes, ma'am. I accept full responsibility for my actions."

"Then maintain the garrison here. Your division general will assign reinforcements and a new ranking officer."

"Yes, ma'am."

"May I take a seat? It is reasonable to assume Captain Yeslav is dead or kidnapped. We've searched his office and found that you are missing the document we've delivered. Unfortunately for us, that document was top secret. We had mages looking for it, but Supreme Command ordered us back. They want the Ninth investigating this."

Isner felt a chill. The Ninth. They were not brought in without good reason. Tales of this elite group's exploits traveled far and wide, and most of them were shrouded in shadow and secrecy. Citizens of the Empire loudly declaimed their unethical behavior, but at the same time acknowledged their presence as "necessary", often uttering some variant of, "Oh, sure it's evil, but someone's got to do it." Prestige came with the public perception overly-romanticizing the Ninth's work.

Even within the military the soldiers and officers had a great respect for members of the Ninth and what they did. As well as fear and wariness.

Kuyomi waved in front of Isner, interrupting his thoughts. "Pay attention, Lieutenant. Can you locate the Ninth? They are out of contact right now, as they are undertaking a dangerous mission. But this takes priority, so we must find them."

"I can try, ma'am."

"Good, then let us leave immediately. Get dressed and find your gear. Bring four of your men; I'll leave some battlemages here to ensure the watchtower's safety."

~~~~~~~~

AREZZO LOW-LANDS

Captain Spaztrov sat by the fire. The camp was set up against a rock face and at an obtuse angle to a rocky passage with respect to two wide willow trees. This provided good camouflage, but was otherwise uncomfortable, due to the numerous insects and summertime humidity whose effects were multiplied in this area. The fire was not for warmth; it was to keep the insects away.

Spaztrov sat back against the rock, his eyes shut, napping. Or was he? Those who knew him could never tell. He liked to joke that he spends his days, eyes shut, reminiscing about his homeland, where true men tested their mettle by wrestling bears. His colleagues could not tell if he was joking.

It was still dark but sunrise was coming.

cosmonuts
2014-05-22, 05:54 PM
AREZZO LOW-LANDS

The mission was simple. Barbarians held the southern half of the Arezzo forest, and the Imperial Legion and Auxiliary would be marching through in five days to eradicate barbarian forces. The Ninth was to pave the way for the main force by eliminating the barbarians' strategic advantages.

Major Stillwell led the Ninth's ground forces, a unit which would engage the barbarians on the open field. Major Nuri's unit spent its time damaging the barbarians' supply lines. Colonel Rosken led his personal squad of the Ninth's elite to capture or kill the suspected organizers of the barbarian forces.

Major Nuri divided her unit into several groups. Captain Spaztrov was one of these groups' leader, and he was to lead his squad to destroy barbarian bridges along the Arezzo River. The specific bridge targeted for tonight was a large wooden one suspended fifty feet above calm water.

The squad was to find a way to collapse the bridge, which was likely guarded. Spaztrov, in the meantime, would be targeting another smaller one a few miles upstream by himself. He was confident they could get two bridges in one night. When the deeds were done, the squad and the captain would regroup back at Nuri's camp, twenty miles to the north, in a small glade they knew well.

Spaztrov opened his eyes. He surveyed the squad in front of him. "All awake?" he said. "Good. Then it's time to go."

The nighttime sky was obscured by clouds and trees. The oak and willow forest was pitch black. In the background all one could hear was crickets and the occasional animal sound.

Spaztrov collected his belongings and put out the fire. The light died and everyone stood in pitch black.

"Alright, now," said Spaztrov's voice. "The bridge is easy to find. It's four miles southeast in a straight line. Watch out for patrols. Questions?"

Oseyerys
2014-05-23, 09:26 AM
Asthelion

Asthelion, who had been lounging in the crook of a tree, grabs a small branch, snaps it, and jumps down to join his company. He walks over to his group and begins to draw in the dirt.

Alright so here's what we got he begins and draws two parallel lines that are spaced apart This here's the bridge, feel free to admire my drawing. You know I was actually asked to be an artist before I became part of the Ninth. Anyway, these are my highly detailed insurgents who are currently controlling the bridge. He simulates the positions of the defenders by drawing X's on the bridge and on either side.

Now, I'm partial to a decoy plan myself, drawing a large portion of them to one side and sabotaging them from the other. However any defender with a brain would know better than to send everyone over to one side of the bridge leaving the other unprotected, so we'd need a saboteur and a way to take out, or sneak past, the remaining defenders on the sabotaging side. The decoy's would only need to hold off the ruse until the bridge is burning beyond the point of repair. After that I imagine the insurrectionists would be either too confused to keep fighting or they would run to the bridge in a futile attempt to put it out.

The elf then pauses for a second looking at his rudimentary blueprint and looks at Axis who had stalked up beside him.

Oh you have a better plan I suppose? the elf asks his companion sarcastically. The elven dog simply looks at Asthelion, That's right, this is why I'm the smart one and not you.

He then turns back to the company I could sneak past the guards on the other side but that would mean I wouldn't be able to help draw them out and, well, I know these woods and feel like that could help with such things. The lighting should prove relatively simple, all I would need to do would be to splash some oil on the bridge to speed up the burning process, light a torch, and there you have it, another bridge burned in the name of the Empire. What do you think?

u-b
2014-05-23, 10:18 AM
Michael was in his armor and ready a few minutes before the fire went off. He could not see a thing of what Asthelion was supposedly drawing on the groung, but was paying attention to every word.

"Keep it simple. Really. The simpler the better. We take one side of the bridge and down it. If we don't take one side, we rinse and repeat."

Michael does not say that like if he is objecting, but rather like he does not care much about nuances.

Anubis Dread
2014-05-23, 10:48 AM
The small embers of the fire flicked up into the air, and slowly vanished. Dieing. Nothing but the ashes of their memory left behind. The cloaked dwarf stared at them as they vanished, looking out into space rather than looking at this companions as they spoke. There would be much work tonight... so many to bury...

"A distraction would be sufficient," Worog replied, turning his gaze back down to Asthelion. "I think I have a few companions who could help us with it... but I don't think we can attack from both sides as easily as you think. If the bridge could be circled so easily, it would be pointless to remove."

How then to destroy it? "The best approach would indeed be distraction and sabotage, but it would all need to occur on a single side. A small distraction enough to draw some men away while others stay, and turn their gaze away from those of us who embrace the shadows to cut the ropes or light them ablaze. Alternatively I could simply conjure a firebomb, so to speak... there are many possibilities. I would highly suggest we take the approach that results in fewer people being put towards their final rest however... I have no interest in working all night with so many enemies in the area."

Oseyerys
2014-05-23, 11:53 AM
Asthelion

After hearing Morog's speech the elf turns to him, Morbid, really. Try not to get too happy now.

Anubis Dread
2014-05-23, 12:07 PM
The dwarf turned back to the elf, before going on in his usual voice - one that wouldn't be inappropriate performing a eulogy. "I apologize if the reality of lifeless corpses slain in battles makes you... unhappy. It does to me as well, which is why I intend to dig as many graves as it takes to ensure it happens as little as possible. Even an unmarked grave is better than being left to rot."

Oseyerys
2014-05-23, 12:18 PM
Asthelion

The elf shakes his head and chuckles.

No my grim friend, I am eagerly anticipating the chance to do what I do best. The problem with doing everything on the same side is that if we can't drag them out far enough it will just become congested making it difficult to carry out the action of lighting the bridge. We do have someone who might glide over the river acknowledging Djanriss unfortunately you're louder than, well, a dragon in all that armor, no offense, so it may prove difficult for you to sneak around and light the bridge.

Cavir
2014-05-23, 01:46 PM
Djarniss rises up from his seat on the ground. Towering well over his comrades he hefted his equipment and flexed his wings. Although massive in size he was not a dumb brute and enjoyed the tactics of a raid and melee combat.

"Simpler is good. We'll have to get closer to see what we are actually dealing with. Controlling one end and using the bridge as a choke point would help us. Maybe we'll get lucky and can take both sides. If the bridge is that big they may have the means to destroy it in case our army wants to cross there. We'll just have to find it. Let's head out."

http://mygirlfriendisadm.files.wordpress.com/2010/06/10-scionofarkhosiabymatiastapia.jpg

Anubis Dread
2014-05-23, 02:16 PM
"Ah, action. A great privilege of those of us fortunate enough to live. Very well, let's move," he agreed, slowly bringing himself to his feet. He could feel his weary joint creaking... he had done far too much labor in his time to feel so old yet be so young. "We can make better plans when we know that the enemy has in store for us."

JanusJones
2014-05-24, 04:51 PM
Rose, who's been listening, shakes her head.

"Well then, boys - sneaky point-ears on point, no?" She grins and winks at Ashtelion. "Let's put some leather to this. We at least know squads - we can suss the rest when we've done recon."

She cuts a quick salute. "If that's all right, Captain."

Oseyerys
2014-05-24, 05:25 PM
Asthelion

After hearing Worog's response to Djanriss' comment, he shakes his head smiling.

Honestly? We have to find you a woman. It'll take your mind off all this death talk. I don't know many eligible dwarven females, or dwarves in general, being an elf and all, but the next city we're in or when we get back to the capital, I'll pull some strings just for you.

He then turns to look at Rose and snorts If you think you can keep up.

JanusJones
2014-05-24, 05:55 PM
She rolls her eyes at Ash, turning to Worog. "And he gives you tough talk about ladies? Such a charmer. No wonder your dog's the only one warming your bedroll." The last is clearly to Ash.

She turns to the group. "Look, I'd love to stick around and flirt, but you're honestly awful at it, and we got a job to do, no?" She grins and winks, then saunters off into the dark.

Oseyerys
2014-05-24, 06:07 PM
Asthelion

At the insult, the elf turns to Axis who simply looks at him and thumps his tail on the ground a few times, And what are you laughing at?

After Rose turns and walks away Asthelion nudges Worog and says You need a woman with a personality like that. He then grabs his bow and stands up to follow her, first saluting Captain Spaztrov. Axis follows at his heels.

Good luck to you Captain he says then with a straight face adds and if you beat us back... I think I heard Michael offer to buy the first round.

Anubis Dread
2014-05-24, 11:34 PM
"...some days I long for the day I will have a crypt to call my own. If only to evade the attention of the living," Worog muttered to himself, falling in line with the rest of the group.

cosmonuts
2014-05-25, 12:39 AM
AREZZO LOW-LANDS

"This damned heat," muttered Spaztrov's voice, as his footsteps began walking away. Eventually Spaztrov disappeared into the jungle, melding with the background noise.

It was customary for him not to leave parting words.

In the pitch black, the only ones able to see were Worog and Rose. The constant chirps of crickets and the stifling humidity made for poor companions to the dark.

Pretty sure the only ones with darkvision are Worog and Rose.

JanusJones
2014-05-25, 12:57 AM
"Follow - I'll let you know when there's something to know."

Rose stalks off into the jungle.

Hide [roll0], Move Silently [roll1]

u-b
2014-05-25, 01:14 AM
Michael, being quite accustomed to this type of bickering, ignores it as he usually does. He gets into the saddle and rides southeast (or at least what he believes to be southeast), at a moderate pace, keeping his head down to Sivko's neck to avoid bumping the helm against branches. He generally tries to remain with the rest of the party and produces enough noise for everyone trying to walk ahead, behind, or beside him to easily do so.

Oseyerys
2014-05-25, 02:22 AM
Asthelion

The elf falls in line behind Rose. He doesn't call attention to the fact that, with no light she would have the upper hand in the little things like being able to see and thus more effective in combat. The elf feels such things are implied and, having worked with Rose for a while now, he knows her strengths. He liked to mess with everyone in the company but Rose, who was most like him in combat and skill set, he liked to joke with the most. She could take his taunts and dish them right back.

As the company moves Asthelion keeps glancing at Michael making all his racket. He knows it's necessary but at the same time, with every shift of his saddle and every step of Sivko, his steed, Asthelion feels like bombs are going off behind him and, always liking to take the silent way or be subtle, the elf has to grind his teeth to avoid saying something. He makes a quiet whistling sound to Axis who then takes his leave of Asthelion and disappears into the underbrush. Axis stays with the group but hidden from anyone who might be targeting the company.

For Asthelion
(+4 Spot, Listen and MS due to favored Terrain)
Move Silently: [roll0]
Hide: [roll1]
Listen: [roll2]

For Axis (if necessary)
Move Silently: [roll3]
Spot: [roll4]
Listen: [roll5]

Time Blossom
2014-05-25, 04:30 AM
Rheiska remains silent throughout the planning period, listening to the banter of her comrades with an amused smile. People could say whatever they liked about the Ninth; any group who could make jokes on the eve of a coming battle were a group worthy of respect.

As they line up for the mission, she brings up the back of the column, giving up her initial place on the front line out of grudging respect for the fact that she was atrociously unsuited to stealth work.

She lets out a whispered dwarven swear as her mount slips in some unseen mess of terrain. "A pox on whatever god invented mud," she mutters with a glance down. Then, remembering that Asthelion's dog was somewhere in the dark, she adds "That had better have been mud."

Illumian sigils normally put out light as bright as a candle. She has them suppressed for the purposes of the march, and is thus relying on her puny human eyes. Guess it's lucky the sun's coming up soon. :smalltongue:

Since we're riding, I'm not sure how the relevant rolls apply; I'd assume our mounts would need to roll too at some point, but that might need a handle animal roll? Stealth in general is kind of wacky when you have a bunch of creatures involved, so I dunno.

Anyway, I'll roll for Rheiska, at least:

Hide: [roll0]
Move Silently: [roll1]

And if they're needed...

Ride: [roll2]
Handle Animal: [roll3]

At least the last one doesn't have an armor check penalty! :D

Oseyerys
2014-05-25, 08:35 AM
Anduriel

The elf hears Rheiska's mutterings and the implications of having not stepped in mud and says Yeah... Sivko.

Anubis Dread
2014-05-25, 12:42 PM
It was some time until they would get to the bridge... stealth was irrelevant, for now. Even if it wasn't, there was no way he could keep his mount from making noise. So for now all he could do was follow along with his mount at a steady pace, accustomed to the darkness.

On the one hand, if they were ambushed because he was noisy he would worry for his companions. On the other hand, he amended to himself as they marched along, he could sing a dirge at the top of his lungs and still be more quiet than Rheiska.

Worog will just take ten on everything, for a total of... well, 10 for his stealth skills. And 9 for his Perception skills.

cosmonuts
2014-05-25, 12:42 PM
FOREST WALK

The group's journey in the dark was accompanied by their own footsteps, soft, irregular, and uneven, with Michael's and Rheiska's steeds attempting to find paths between the trees, Cavir walking carefully behind the horses, Axis to the side in the underbrush, and Rose and Asthelion in the front.

The group walked for ten minutes, leaves brushing against their faces, the forest seeming small and restrictive in the dark.

Asthelion heard a soft footstep which did not belong to the group, but could not see the source. Axis stopped and looked around, apparently having heard the noise as well.

u-b
2014-05-25, 01:43 PM
Michael continues to ride at the same moderate pace until and unless something indicates that he shouldn't.

I'll be AFK from monday to early friday, so here are some guidelines in case I won't be able to post something meaningful from the phone (I probably will be, but just to be on the safe side...)
1. The general intent will be to disengage, but only if the rest of the party does not seem to be sticking around to fight.
2. Michael does not mind casting Light on a dart and using it to see where he's riding if the speed he can do without light will be too slow to break from the engagement.
3. He does not mind if somebody holds onto a stirrup in the process.

Oseyerys
2014-05-25, 04:03 PM
Asthelion

At the sound of the footstep and the confirmation from Axis that the noise was not simply in his head, Asthelion grips his bow a little tighter and nudges Rose whispering into her ear Company.

He then turns to climb up the nearest tree but not before saying over his shoulder I thought you were going to keep up this time.

Once Asthelion climbs the tree he again listens for the same footsteps he heard before to try and isolate on which side of the group it came from so that he might warn Worog or Rose, who could still see better in this blasted dark. He makes a tsk-ing sound to Axis who then takes his cue and begins to track whatever made the noise, moving like a ghost through the foliage.

(+4 Climb, Listen, Spot, MS and Hide)
For Asthelion:
Climb: [roll0]
Listen: [roll1]
Hide: [roll2]

For Axis (if necessary Axis is using his Track trick, so he is trained to do this):
Listen: [roll3]
Spot: [roll4]
Move Silently: [roll5]

cosmonuts
2014-05-25, 05:10 PM
FOREST WALK

The soft footsteps stopped. Asthelion could not hear any movement.
Axis seemed to scent something in the forward direction, and began moving forward towards the source of the smell. After a few moments in silence, Axis stopped in front of a bush.

The bush was perfectly still.

Time Blossom
2014-05-26, 02:18 AM
Rheiska, meanwhile, having heard neither the sound of footsteps, nor the sound of rustling bushes, nor the sound of a very stealthy hunting dog, nor any warning from the point along the lines of "caw caw," continues riding onwards, completely oblivious to any danger.

Ya know, unless she does hear any of those things.

[roll0]

Oseyerys
2014-05-26, 10:27 AM
Asthelion

Seeing Axis stop before the bush Asthelion whistles in a alternating low pitch-high pitch tone that Axis recognizes. The dog then circles around to some fifteen feet behind the bush.

Then, seeing that Rose has decided to keep all the fun to herself, Asthelion looks down at his un-knowing group, cups his hands, puts them to his mouth and gives one of the warning bird calls the group has used countless times signaling to stop due to potential danger. He then pulls out an arrow, nocks it in his bow string and directs his companions' attention to the bush in question.

Axis is using the Flank trick he knows, maintaining distance so as not to disturb whatever nasty beasty may be in the bush but at the same time remaining close enough to close off it's escape if it decides to run.

JanusJones
2014-05-26, 10:31 AM
Rose silently takes up position.

Readying an action to cut the throat of anything that comes out.

"At this point," she whispers to the bush, "you might want to try talking with us - best chance of this not going south."

cosmonuts
2014-05-26, 12:14 PM
FOREST WALK

The bush rustled in response to Rose's whisper, and then remained still.

Anubis Dread
2014-05-26, 04:25 PM
It seemed they had an interloper in their midst. Or perhaps simply a native unrelated to their mission who had stumbled across the band. Either way, they could not go on until this unexpected event had been dealt with.

"I give you to the count of three before I call a corpse from the earth to drag you out of there by force," Worog stated plainly to the bush.

cosmonuts
2014-05-26, 05:03 PM
FOREST WALK

The bush did not respond to Worog's provocations.

Oseyerys
2014-05-26, 09:00 PM
Anduriel

After no reaction comes from Worog's threat the elf speaks up from the tree in which he is perched, Listen mate, you may want to come out and start talking. You see Rose and I, we're the fun ones. We're the ones you want backing you up and we will if you come out and explain what you're doing. But if you don't, Doom-and-Gloom here is pretty good on his word and I won't be surprised if he actually does call up some dead corpse to drag you out. And that is extremely merciful compared to what Rheiska or Djanriss will do if they can get their hands on you. So come out so we all know that I'm not crazy and hearing things or that big furry fella is going to haul you out by the scruff of your neck if needbe.

At that last statement Axis growls at the bush to alert whatever was within of his presence.

Anduriel will ready a shot at whatever will come out of the bush should it prove hostile.

If necessary...
Init: [roll0]

Cavir
2014-05-26, 09:08 PM
Djanriss hears the warning and instantly crouches and listens, taking rear guard. The party scouts are better at checking out the situation and if there is a light at all up front he can get there instantly. Better to assume this is a distraction for an ambush. Shield and flail at the ready.

Listen [roll0]
Spot [roll1]
Hide [roll2]
Move Silently [roll3]

cosmonuts
2014-05-26, 09:18 PM
FOREST WALK

In the low light, the bush stayed absolutely still as Asthelion spoke. Axis growled, and the bush rustled ever so slightly in response. Axis' eyes lit up. He started sniffing the air, as if tracking again, indicating that whatever was in the bush, had just vacated it.

Rose spotted a small red fox slink out of the bush. She could barely see it, as its coat gave it surprisingly good camouflage in the tall grass. Given the dark, it made sense it could hide so well.
Michael heard soft feet pad slowly away from the bush.

u-b
2014-05-26, 10:42 PM
Michael, who has previously stopped at the command of the scouts, exclaims "What the **ck, Spaztrov?!" and is on his way, with same speed and direction as previously. He thouhgt that even if it is NOT Spaztrov, there is only so much time one should be a stationary target without seeing a thing.

JanusJones
2014-05-26, 10:52 PM
There's a sudden flash of steel, as Rose, who seemed unarmed, lashes out.

Readied action to cut whatever comes out of the bush.

To Hit/Crit: [roll0]/[roll1], crit on 19-20
Damage/Crit: [roll2]/[roll3]
Iaijutsu Focus check (against flat-footed foe, since it's surprise round): [roll4]

Damage based on Iaijutsu Check:

10-14: [roll5]
15-19: [roll6]
20-24: [roll7]
25-29: [roll8]
30-34: [roll9]

cosmonuts
2014-05-27, 02:18 AM
FOREST WALK

A large red gash cut across the fox's body, spraying blood across the grass. It made a yelp and bounded away, seriously injured.

The fox is running, and surprisingly not dead, but no point entering tactical combat for this. Its speed is 60 ft, so unless any of you can find a way to move so fast, you aren't catching up.

Nonetheless, Asthelion has a bow trained on the fox. He may take a shot before the fox escapes if he wishes.

Time Blossom
2014-05-27, 02:20 AM
Rheiska stops Celadir in his tracks as she hears the warning, and pulls her hammer from her belt as Anduriel and Worog start chatting up some unseen threat. Clenching her jaw, she narrows her eyes in the direction of their voices, preparing to lay a hex on whatever was waiting in ambush.

Readied action: Sleep Hex on the first thing she sees that doesn't belong to the 9th Company.

And a spot check so she might actually see it. Apply whatever hilarious penalties you deem necessary. [roll0]

JanusJones
2014-05-27, 06:44 AM
"Ash, where are your eyes - shoot it!"

That was surprise round. Rose should be able to charge it.

Oseyerys
2014-05-27, 08:10 AM
Asthelion

WHADDAYA MEAN WHERE MY EYES AT?!?!?! Asthelion asks incredulously Have you forgotten you can see better than me right now??? But don't worry Rose, let me save the day. Again.

With that Asthelion takes his readied action and fires. He also yells at Axis Sick em! who then growls pounces on the fox as it runs away. Axis then proceeds to give chase.

Asthelion's arrow:
Attack: [roll0]
Crit Confirm: [roll1]

Dmg:
[roll2]

Extra Dmg if Crit:
[roll3]
[roll4]

I think Axis should have had a chance to lay waste to the thing since he was waiting for it to come out so here are his rolls.
Attack (Bite): [roll5]
Attack (Claws 1): [roll6]
Attack (Claws 2): [roll7]

Crit Confirm (Bite): [roll8]
Crit Confirm (Claws 1): [roll9]
Crit Confirm (Claws 2): [roll10]

Dmg Bite: [roll11]
Dmg Claws 1: [roll12]
Dmg Claws 2: [roll13]

Crit Dmg Bite: [roll14]
Crit Dmg Claws 1: [roll15]
Crit Dmg Claws 2: [roll16]

cosmonuts
2014-05-27, 11:24 AM
FOREST WALK

No surprise round, since the fox and you were aware of one another's presences for quite some time. These attacks are only happening because you readied your attack actions during the first few rounds.
Asthelion's arrow whizzed over the fox's head. The fox entered a full sprint, attempting to escape, only for Axis' jaws to come closing around its body.

The fox's body went limp and unconscious. It was bleeding profusely, its red fur painted with darker red.

Oseyerys
2014-05-27, 11:57 AM
Asthelion

After seeing his shot miss, the elf tilts his head and mutters, I blame it on the poor lighting, no matter we captured our elusive guest. Good job Axis.

He then gets down from the tree and joins his companion and the others.

Anubis Dread
2014-05-27, 12:13 PM
"A life taken in vain... we are all too excitable," Worog grieved as he looked at their victim. And to think he too had been caught up in the affair... they were all on edge coming into such an important and dangerous mission, but that was no excuse for slaying definitively uninvolved wildlife.

Cavir
2014-05-27, 01:33 PM
Djanriss hears the commotion start and stop quickly. He joins the group, finds out what happened, and chuckles. "Ninth Elite 1, Nature 0. Let's hope that Nature doesn't try to take the lead on that score. Did someone not have enough to eat at camp? Let's keep going."

Oseyerys
2014-05-27, 02:14 PM
Asthelion

The elf looks at the fox that had been taken down by Axis' waiting attack Shame he says to himself.

He then turns to Rose, who had yelled at him to attack the fox, Well now we have dealt with this grave threat to the company, shall we continue?

He then begins to lead the way again before someone jokes about his inability to discern the sounds of a threat and the sounds of wild life.

cosmonuts
2014-05-27, 03:34 PM
THE BRIDGE

The party continued on its path through the forest, leaving behind the red fox, which appeared as a small black figure slumped on the ground.

For an hour or so they traveled in silence, as the nighttime cricket chirps gave way to dawntime bird songs. The darkness of the forest lifted, and the early morning sun painted the sky light blue from the horizon.

The bridge was in sight through the trees. It was a massive wooden structure, of remarkably precise engineering, clearly built by the Empire and not the local tribes. It was supported by three pairs of pillars made of smooth stone. Fifty feet under the bridge was calm water, the Arezzo River.

The landscape was hilly and steep. At the far end of the bridge was a wooden building and two tents. Six people and a dog were arrayed there, eating breakfast in the early hours of the morning, archers, swordsmen, and man's best friend, better equipped than expected of local tribespeople. An archer and a warrior stood on the bridge, surveying the landscape. Another group consisting of an archer, a warrior, and a dog was on the near side of the bridge. All the warriors and archers were human. Ten in all there were, twelve including the two dogs. None of them spotted the Ninth squad.

Combat begins when someone initiates it. Be careful and goood luck!

Roll20 link. (https://app.roll20.net/join/408245/tjkT5A)

JanusJones
2014-05-27, 05:26 PM
"No guarantees, but I might be able to cut the support columns if I can sneak down. Might want to post guard while I do - someone to engage if the locals get curious."

Anubis Dread
2014-05-27, 05:44 PM
"If you believe you can cut through stone, then that would be the best course of action," Worog replied, looking over the facility. "Hm... then again I don't have a better plan in mind. I had thought I could use a conjured corpse to fire bomb the wood and start a fire, but I don't believe it could run that far without being cut down..."

JanusJones
2014-05-27, 05:48 PM
Crap, thought they were wood. Annoying. IF does full damage to objects ... need to buy some adamantine Quickrazors ...

Oseyerys
2014-05-27, 07:19 PM
Asthelion

Asthelion assesses their side of the bridge and formulates a rudimentary plan that he feels would be good enough to get the job done. He turns to Rose who he is scouting with and says Ok here's my plan. We take some of this here rope I happen to have for just such an occasion and tie it to a tree at the edge of the cliff on our side of the bridge. I can then attract the attention of the three guards on our side. There is a slope on the other side of this bridge that I can lead them too and slide down to the water level. I will then double back, going under the bridge back to our side towards the rope and climb like mad back up here. Leading the two guards and their watchdog to a dead end. In the meantime, the rest of the company will use the oil we have or whatever means they feel like to burn this side of the bridge. Even if the two guards in the middle of the bridge come over to investigate they should be no problem for the remaining five of you. And there you have it, bridge burned and we'll be back before lunch. Hm... that reminds me, I missed breakfast today... oh well. So what do you think? I thought of it myself you can feel free to admire the ingenuity of it all.

Cavir
2014-05-27, 09:33 PM
"6 swordsmen, 4 archers, and two dogs. With so few they are probably well skilled. The problem is we don't know how many more are in the tents and building. We could just be looking at the morning shift. There could also be a patrol under the bridge- if it was my mission to defend I would place one down there."

"I might be able to invisibly teleport then glide under the bridge in time before I'm visible again. I would need to get within about 50' from the edge of the bridge. Once down there I can use the power of the mountain to chop away at the stone supports but it would probably take several minutes per column and be very loud, which means a full fight where I would be more useful up top pushing them off the bridge sides."

"Once we get any of their attention they will probably signal back to the rest and pass the word along. We get one shot at this. A screwup means we'll have to take the closer patrol out fast and then trade archery shots with the other side while I chop away down below and/or we try burning it. "

Djanriss pauses to reflect some more on it, listening to alternatives from the others.

1) Looking at the map, there are actually 6 tents right? Are those 2 man tents?
2) Is there smoke coming from the building (as in a fireplace/stove inside?)
3) For the drop closest to us, is that a 50' cliff then flat land to the water right?
4) If #3 is a slope not a cliff, then how far away from the edge of the slope do I have to be to be able to glide in under the bridge?
5) Does the bridge surface look like it would burn well? (we do have at least 11 oil flasks plus torches)

cosmonuts
2014-05-27, 10:06 PM
THE BRIDGE

1. As you say, I typo'd. There are 6 tents, not 2. There are 2 tent groups, I should have said, but they're quite close to one another and the notion of groups is pretty useless. So there are 6 tents.

2. No smoke. It's a cabin without a chimney.

3. Yes.

4. ^

5. The bridge is wood, but the air is humid. Will it burn? Who knows... (Well, it will burn, but not quick.)

u-b
2014-05-27, 11:48 PM
Michael listens to the proposal, nodding at most of Djanriss' expectations, if not the actual plan, then looks at Rheiska.

"So, why don't we just ride in, take out two archers and ride out? Djarniss can have a horse from Worog or glide holding the rope (Michael points at 20 ft. silk rope attached to his saddle with one end and, currently, to a net with another end), and Asthalion can shoot from the distance. It's not like we'll have any problem with swordsmen once the archers are down. This will leave two archers at far side, and whatever reserves they have, but I guess this cannot be helped. It's not like we'll be downing this bridge too fast for them to react."

Anubis Dread
2014-05-28, 09:58 AM
"Hit and run tactics, you say?" Worog inquired thoughtfully. "That seems to be the best idea. We have an advantageous position, being the attackers... if we simply eliminate those of them that can attack us at range the rest will be buried before the day is through. Assuming there are not others that could strike us down waiting in the wings."

How far away were the enemy? Hm... "If I could get withing one hundred and fortyfeet or so I could curse them with a loss of vision... for an archer opponent that is as good as being completely eliminated. And as most archers tend to be quite dexterous but not all that durable, it is quite likely to succeed."

u-b
2014-05-28, 10:25 AM
"So, you on the horse and Djanriss on the rope." - Michael nods - "Might be able to also get far-side archers this way. Rheishka near side, I with Djanriss the center, and you the far side from wherever you like?"

Cavir
2014-05-28, 09:58 PM
"Charging across the bridge on horseback I think would be risky. Let them figure out how to get to us."

"Taking out the near patrol should be easy enough with a charge. Taking out the archer on the bridge would be the next priority. From there our plan would have to develop based on what the far group does. Our best bet for taking down the bridge so far is me taking out the near supports after clearing the near patrol."

"I suggest Michael, Rheiska, me, and Axis charge the near patrol. I'll be on foot so I'll get a closer start. Worog can cast darkness on a stone and get close enough to the start of the bridge to drop it there. That will cover our first fight and give concealment to our fire starting. Meanwhile Asthalion and Rose get to the edge of the woods and take down the archer on the bridge the same time we charge."

"Michael, can you redo your Bless and Elation spells before we start? Do you have other buffs before we start? If you have a Bull's Strength for me that would help with the stone work down below."

Anubis Dread
2014-05-28, 10:36 PM
"We waste time. This is the most reasonable plan we've come up with so far... simply taking out this patrol and burning the bridge without dealing with the pillars at all. I condone it. Unfortunately, as this plan requires stealth I will not be able to summon the souls of the departed in preparation for it, but I may be able to do so to buy us some time on the bridge. As it stands, let us go forward," Worog replied.

JanusJones
2014-05-28, 11:36 PM
Rose nods, then sneaks off into the bushes.

Double move to close in.
Hide: [roll0]
Move Silently: [roll1]

Oseyerys
2014-05-29, 12:08 AM
Asthelion

The elf listens as his companions formulate their plan and solidify it.

Or we could do that I suppose, he says sighing and turns to Axis, I thought it was a good plan anyway.

He then follows Rose with Axis at his heels.

Time Blossom
2014-05-29, 06:40 AM
"Charge and annihilate the near patrol, blind the archers, set the bridge on fire, wreck the near pillars if time allows," Rheiska summarizes with an approving nod. "Simple. Brutal. Efficient. I approve. While we should adapt our tactics based on what the enemy does, I suggest holding the line at our end of the bridge while the sapping work is done as a default assumption. If they attempt to cross, I should be able to put at least a few of them to sleep."

She crosses her arms and glances towards the bridge. "The sight of them falling into the river and drowning when the bridge collapses should serve as a fine deterrent to valor, for the ones who remain."

She climbs up into Celadir's saddle, drawing her hammer and shield. "Give the signal when you feel you are at a proper charging range, and we'll be close behind," she says to Rose as she and Axis depart.

"I've had enough uninformed stumbling about for one day," she adds in a mutter.

Oseyerys
2014-05-29, 08:22 AM
Asthelion

Axis looks from Rheiska to Asthelion unsure of what to do.

The elf looks quizzically at him and says, Whaddaya looking at me for? Guard her. Just don't have too much fun without me.

The elf hound then takes off in the underbrush after Rheiska.

cosmonuts
2014-05-29, 11:58 AM
THE BRIDGE

Rose moved towards the group consisting of a dog, an archer, and a swordsman. From closer she could discern that they were clearly not locals, and had the air of being trained professionally.

The archer spotted Rose. He quickly tapped his swordsman companion and they turned to face her. Their dog started growling in her direction.

"Who are you?" said the archer. The swordsman and the archer drew their weapons.

"Not many travelers in this region," said the swordsman. "Fewer still wearing chain shirts."

"Speak, stranger," said the archer.

Anubis Dread
2014-05-29, 12:09 PM
The cover was darkness, while not pivotal to their plan, would likely be invaluable... as such he needed to get to that bridge. Unfortunately, he was not all that stealthy... the average farmer was equally as skilled as he, and the enemy were likely better guards than he was a scout.

"Things move quickly... I will do my part," Worog stated plainly, scrounging around in the dirt for a stone before mounting his horse. If his mount charge the bridge at full speed, he could likely throw the stone into the fray with a single burst of speed. However, he would need to cast the spell ahead of time...

Muttering in dwarvish under his breath, the stone in Worog's hand began to radiate darkness. He quickly clasped his fist around the object, preventing the darkness from flowing through so he could still see when to go in.

Worog casts Darkness on the stone. The duration is 40 minutes. For now, he holds it tightly in his hand, which should act as a light proof covering for the purpose of containing the spell.

Cavir
2014-05-29, 01:10 PM
Djanriss moved up towards the clearing, keeping to the party's far left. He wasn't quite in charge range yet when Rose was spotted. Using the discovery as a distraction he crouches low and disappears in a puff of darkness, reappearing further east in the same crouching position, behind a tree. He was nearly to the enemy's right flank now that they were focused on Rose. While they are talking, he takes a few seconds to review some maneuvers in his head. From here he is in charging range.

Stance: Child of Shadows
Standard: Shadow Jaunt 40' east and stay hidden as Rose is getting up.
(Next round) Full Round: While they are talking, use Adaptive Style feat to redo maneuvers.

JanusJones
2014-05-29, 01:35 PM
THE BRIDGE

Rose moved towards the group consisting of a dog, an archer, and a swordsman. From closer she could discern that they were clearly not locals, and had the air of being trained professionally.

The archer spotted Rose. He quickly tapped his swordsman companion and they turned to face her. Their dog started growling in her direction.

"Who are you?" said the archer. The swordsman and the archer drew their weapons.

"Not many travelers in this region," said the swordsman. "Fewer still wearing chain shirts."

"Speak, stranger," said the archer.

The mithral's hidden - says so in her description. She looks pretty average, and the only weapon is a bow - ON HER BACK. She likes doing it that way.

The girl holds her hands in the air, clearly alarmed.

"I was with the caravan - have you seen them? I thought they came this way. I chased some game - thought it was a rabbit, but it turned out to be a fox."

She looks nervously at the armed men. "I can leave - I'm sorry if I disturbed you ..."

[roll0] for bluff.

JanusJones
2014-05-29, 01:36 PM
She's holding her hands up. If they approach, free action to draw her blade, swift to go invisible, standard to use Whirling Blade in a line on them.

Let me know. Ready to get this party started.

cosmonuts
2014-05-29, 01:59 PM
THE BRIDGE

"A caravan?" said the archer with a frown. "No caravan trails near here. You must be really lost, miss." He put away his bow.

The swordsman sheathed his sword. "Best if you'd leave. The other fellows back at camp won't be happy with a stranger walking about."

"These woods are dangerous," said the archer. "It probably isn't safe for you to be walking about, miss. You might want to stay until our scouts return and escort you back to the trail."

"It's also not safe for her to stay," said the swordsman. "The Impe—uh, brigands may be here any moment now."

The archer frowned. "True. Maybe we should get the lieutenant and ask him what to do."

Oseyerys
2014-05-29, 02:04 PM
Asthelion

Asthelion watches as his companion sneaks forward and gets caught. He pulls out an arrow ready to shoot the archer if needbe.

Rose if we make it through this you and I are going to have a long talk about the concept of stealth, the elf mutters as he trains his shot on the archer...

JanusJones
2014-05-29, 04:11 PM
"Brigands? I ..." the girl's eyes are wide, whites showing stark against her dusky skin. Her full lips quiver. "I ... uh ..." She looks nervously about at the dark woods, then back at the men. "Please - don't make me leave, just until light." She looks pleadingly at the men, clearly terrified at the thought of being left to the mercy of brutal men in the black of night.

No lie right now - just Diplomacy. Let's see if I can pull these guys off post and maybe meet the captain.

Diplomacy! [roll0]

cosmonuts
2014-05-29, 04:49 PM
THE BRIDGE

"No," said the swordsman, "absolutely not. You're waiting right here until our scouts get back, then you can head out with them back to the trail. It shouldn't be long."

The archer and swordsman on the bridge were staring from the distance, having noticed the commotion. They spoke quickly then split, the archer moving towards Rose and the two men she spoke to, and the swordsman making his way to the main camp.

JanusJones
2014-05-29, 05:19 PM
As soon as she sees the men lined up, Rose's arm dips ...

... and flashes forward. Something tiny catches the light as it streaks forward.

Whirling Blade to hit all three in a 60 ft. line.

Target 1: [roll0] hit/[roll1] crit
Iaijutsu Focus Check: [roll4]

Target 2: [roll10] hit/[roll11] crit
Damage/Crit: [roll12]/[roll13]
10-14: [roll14]
15-19: [roll15]
20-24: [roll16]
25-29: [roll17]
30-34: [roll18]

Target 3:[roll19] hit/[roll20] crit
Damage/Crit: [roll21]/[roll22]
10-14: [roll23]
15-19: [roll24]
20-24: [roll25]
25-29: [roll26]
30-34: [roll27]

And then, she's gone.

Swift action for Swift Invisibility.

JanusJones
2014-05-29, 05:20 PM
IF Check 2: [roll0]
IF Check 3: [roll1]

JanusJones
2014-05-29, 05:26 PM
Perform Check to cast Whirling Blade (DC 12): [roll0]

cosmonuts
2014-05-29, 08:44 PM
THE BRIDGE

It's reasonable to assume that the as the bridge archer walks closer he enters a line with the swordsman and other archer. I assume Rose wanders closer before the attack, so that they're actually standing in a line.
The archer from the bridge walked closer to the group. His pace was quick and urgent.

"Hey," said the archer Rose was talking to.

"What's this?" said the archer from the bridge. "Nobody's allowed here."

Rose's razor lashed out, propelled by magic. The first archer collapsed in a flash of red and a fine mist of blood. The razor missed the swordsman and whizzed past the other archer. The razor returned to Rose with a sharp whistle as she disappeared.

Those at the other end of the bridge did not seem to notice the sudden violence.

1. Players
2. Swordsman
3. Dog
4. Archer

We're in combat now. Obey tactical combat rules.

Oseyerys
2014-05-29, 08:48 PM
Asthelion

Asthelion's shoulders sag as he sees Rose's cover blown when she attacks the guards, This is why we are going to have that talk!, he grumbles.

He then lets loose his arrow on the archer who has drawn closer within the elf's firing range following up with another arrow.

Attack:
[roll0]
[roll1]

I think I did that right, I'm a little confused by Rapid Shot's wording. It's either those bonuses or +9 and +7 in which case use that +9 and the following +7

[roll2]

Crit Confirm (same with the bonuses as the attack):
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]

Damage:
1st: [roll6]
2nd: [roll7]

Crit Damage added per shot:
Shot 1:
[roll8]
[roll9]

Shot 2:
[roll10]
[roll11]

I think that's it. I will post Axis' attack when Rheiska enters combat since he is guarding her.

cosmonuts
2014-05-29, 09:04 PM
THE BRIDGE

Two strikes, two streaks of wood, and blood erupted as Asthelion's arrows struck the archer. The archer collapsed on the spot.

Oseyerys
2014-05-29, 09:13 PM
Asthelion

The elf watches his two shots sink into his target, dropping him where he stood, with satisfaction.

Like flies. That was beautiful!, he says admiring his handiwork before looking around and seeing that he is all alone and no one is paying attention to him, Did anyone see that godlike accuracy? Anyone? Really? No? Yeah that figures, everyone's there when I tip the group off about a threat to the party and it ends up being a measly little fox but no one is around to see me make those bulls-eye shots consecutively. Those aren't easy shots you know!, he finishes, talking to no one in particular.

Cavir
2014-05-29, 10:54 PM
"So much for the plan, but so far so good."

Djanriss charges out of the woods into the clearing directly at the dog, his closest target. As he starts his run shadows surround him, making him harder to see. Nearing his target he leads with his shield. Reaching the target he swings his over-sized flail downward into the dog

Even with the swordsman still not engaged Djanriss' voice is calm. "Rose, I could use that Message spell before heading down. Did they say there was a scout party coming? Warn the others while I head down."

Full round action: Charge 65' to the dog
Attack: [roll0] Damage: [roll1]
Crit (on 20): [roll2] Damage: [roll3]

Movement activates Child of Shadows effect (concealment vs ranged and melee attacks until my next turn)

AC: 16 (-2 for charge)

JanusJones
2014-05-29, 11:14 PM
Rose appears next to the Swordsman. Her bladeless hand stretches out, as if to gently stroke his face.

There is a flash in the dark.

Note: target is flat-footed against this attack, thus triggering IF and removing Dex bonus to AC.
To Hit/Crit: [roll0]/[roll1]
Iaijutsu Focus Check: [roll4]
Iaijutsu Focus Damage:

JanusJones
2014-05-29, 11:15 PM
15-19: [roll0]
20-24: [roll1]
25-29: [roll2]
30-34: [roll3]

Oseyerys
2014-05-29, 11:21 PM
Asthelion

Seeing Djanriss attack the watchdog he can't resist throwing a jibe at him, Hey Djanriss, I wish I had the luxury to attack the pooch instead of the highly armed watchman too but some of us actually have to do the hard work

u-b
2014-05-29, 11:26 PM
The combat has started, so Michael no longer has to maintain his stealth. He had to guide the horse around the trees do get closer to the action, so he did just that. One side thought has visited him when he was almost on the line with the bridge - where's the f***ing road?

Yep, I'm back.

Anubis Dread
2014-05-30, 12:09 AM
"Onward," Worog urged his mount with his knees, taking the reigns and flicking them to get the animal to move as quickly as it could through the trees. It would take some doing to get it through them all and on the other side of the enemy... but he needed to be on this side, or else the tactic would be useless. He would be in the open.

Rushing forward, he eventually brought the mount to heel before tossing the Darkness etched stone into the fray, attempting to blot out the combat for those that were looking... and provide cover for himself and his other ally's in the process.

I am not sure if throwing a stone 25 feet requires some form of check? I'd make an attack roll, but I am pretty sure the grounds AC would either be astronomically higher or low :smalltongue:

cosmonuts
2014-05-30, 12:59 AM
THE BRIDGE

A strike from Djanriss created a large gash on the dog's side. Nonetheless, the dog stood, clearly severely injured.

Rose's razor flitted briefly from its hidden location to strike the swordsman, who was cut between the links on his chainmail. Blood ran down his side.

Worog tossed a stone exuding magical darkness. Shadows sprang to existence from seemingly nowhere, veiling the commotion in a sphere of darkness.

1) (Non-large) Trees don't hinder movement by RAW. Funny and unexpected, but there you go... Don't worry about maneuvering around them. Horses don't move slower between them.

2) By RAW, hitting a grid location is AC 5, failing that, throw 5 ft away in a randomly determined direction. I rolled for you. You were successful.

Cavir
2014-05-30, 05:08 AM
Stated calmly even with the melee and the shadows encompassing not just him but all of the melee- "If we had stuck to the plan we would have buffed first then rolled over them together and the darkness would be between us and the bridge. Now they have the cover of darkness too. At least we learned we need to scout for their scouts. Someone get this dog out of my way please and I will handle the hard work."

Rheiska charging?

Oseyerys
2014-05-30, 07:35 AM
Asthelion

Oh I'd love to, Asthelion remarks, It's about time you pulled some weight, unfortunately I have to cover my own ass and get that watchman off the bridge so if you will all excuse me for a moment I'll be right with you.

cosmonuts
2014-05-30, 12:09 PM
THE BRIDGE

Rheiska charged and struck. Her hammer met the dog like a landslide, sending the canine sprawling, limp and bleeding.

The swordsman, in shock from the sudden and vicious assault, nonetheless turned and sprinted across the bridge for the camp, giving Rose an opportunity to attack.

I rolled for Rose's AoO using her prior attack stats (to hit, damage, etc). If this incorrect, please inform me.

She hits (but does not crit) for 4 damage.
Asthelion wanted to move on the bridge and push a body off, but I'm going to ignore that command since 1) he didn't have a move action available that would get him on the bridge and 2) he may want to do something else on the coming turn.

It's the players' turn now.

u-b
2014-05-30, 12:55 PM
Michael kicked Sivko lightly on both sides, several times to let the steed know that maximum speed is required, Michael darted past Djanriss and Rheiska, drew the net, rode past the running swordsman... "I'll getcha." ...but, possibly to some surprize of some observers, did not throw the net, but continued to gallop in a straight line most of the way to other side of the bridge, where he stopped sivko and held his shield so that it's clearly visible, with both imperial and church symbols on it.

"In the name of Empire, surrender or die!"

Guiding with knees. Sivko takes run action, but retains DEX to AC. Michael spends move action to draw the net and standard action to either activate or ready total defense action (he does not want his intent to do nothing but defend himself to be clearly seen).

Oseyerys
2014-05-30, 01:32 PM
As Rheiska attacks Axis streaks out from behind her in an attempt to catch the fleeing swordsman. He growls at the guardsman as he catches up to him.

Axis has movement of 40 so even with the swordsman's headstart he should catch up.

Bite:
[roll0]
Crit
[roll1]
Dmg
[roll2]
Crit Dmg
[roll3]
Claws 1:
[roll4]
Crit
[roll5]
Dmg:
[roll6]
Crit Dmg
[roll7]
Claws 2:
[roll8]
Crit
[roll9]
Dmg
[roll10]
Crit Dmg
[roll11]

I think that's it but I did this on my phone so I apologize if it's sloppy.

... Well that sucked

cosmonuts
2014-05-30, 01:52 PM
THE BRIDGE

This adds the camp soldiers to the initiative line.

1. Swordsman
2. Dog
3. Archer
4. Swordsman
5. Swordsman
6. Players
7. Archer
8. Swordsman
9. Swordsman
10. Swordsman
11. ???
12. ???
13. Dog
14. Archer
The soldiers at the camp swore and there was a flurry of activity. A swordsman moved up, drawing his sword and preparing his shield.

"Imperials!" shouted the swordsman.

A dog ran up to his side. An archer stepped into a clear line of fire, drew his bow, and loosed an arrow which struck Michael.

Djanriss received 5 damage. I accounted for total defense AC and the like.
A swordsman drew his sword and shield and formed a shield wall with the first swordsman. Another swordsman dashed from the camps and joined the shield wall, readying his weaponry.

The swordsmen and archers were much better trained than what the Ninth was used to seeing in local tribesmen. Their professionalism, speed, and shield wall discipline was eerily similar to that of the Imperial Auxiliary.

Axis dashed to the swordsman on the bridge and missed a bite attempt.

Players' turn, except Axis and Michael have already moved.

JanusJones
2014-05-30, 03:49 PM
The elf lass dashes forward, drawing her bow and nocking an arrow. As she halts, she lets fly at the swordsman.

Attack/crit: [roll0]/[roll1]
Damage/crit: [roll2]/[roll3]

cosmonuts
2014-05-30, 06:34 PM
THE BRIDGE

The arrow struck the swordsman squarely in the back. He was grievously wounded but still stood.

Oseyerys
2014-05-30, 07:07 PM
Asthelion

Seeing Rose's shot fail to drop the fleeing swordsman Asthelion says to her, No, no it's fine! Let me just take out all the guys that are any kind of distance away! Really it's ok!, he then addresses the fleeing insurrectionist, Hey! Hey where you going? I didn't even get to introduce myself! I am Asthelion Siannodel of the Ninth Company! You can also refer to me as Perfection Incarnate! Don't believe me? Observe!

With that he lets loose another two arrows at the fleeing target.

Attack:
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

I still don't know which ones they are, cosmo if you could clear that up for me what the bonuses should be for Rapid Shot usage that'd be swell.

Crit Confirm:
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]

DMG:
[roll6]
[roll7]

Crit Damage:
Shot 1:
[roll8]
[roll9]

Shot 2:
[roll10]
[roll11]

Also Precise Shot negates the penalty that would usually be incurred for the combat that the swordsman may be in with Axis.

After his shots fly Asthelion turns to his group, Might I make the suggestion that we prepare for the burning of the bridge now while we have a moment!

cosmonuts
2014-05-30, 07:30 PM
THE BRIDGE

The first arrow flew over the swordsman's head, followed by the second which embedded itself into the swordsman's collarbone region, causing him to collapse, knocked unconscious by the attack.

Oseyerys
2014-05-30, 07:35 PM
The elf admires his new handiwork and looks at the two watchmen he dropped on the bridge, That one was even farther than the archer... And that, ladies and gentlemen, is how it's done.

JanusJones
2014-05-30, 09:04 PM
"If your arrows flew half as fast as your mouth, we'd be back in camp by now."

Rose graced the other elf with a quick smile of thanks.

Anubis Dread
2014-05-30, 10:22 PM
Damnation... youngsters these days were all so reckless! Even with that shield raised his ally was in a bad position... he was liable to be swarmed and taken down.

"Stop fooling around and burn the bridge. I've seen too much death to see one of our own fall," Worog replied plainly before kicking his horse with his heels, forcing it to run as hard as it might across the bridge after the Michael. Muttering in dwarvish under his breath, he reigned his horse in behind the defending cleric before turning his gaze to the enemy swordsmen closest to his companion.

"I happen to like my comrades... I would kindly suggest you don't mess with them, lest I tear you apart and send you to the netherworld piece by piece!" he threatened as he attempted a spell, swaying in his saddle with the exertion.

Concentration check (DC 15 for casting while on a galloping mount) - [roll0]
Casts Scare on the two marked swordsmen - DC 16 Will or Frightened for 4 rounds. On fail only Frightened for 1 round.

cosmonuts
2014-05-30, 11:50 PM
THE BRIDGE

Fear struck the faces of the swordsmen.

Oseyerys
2014-05-31, 01:05 AM
Asthelion

At Rose's tease Asthelion winks back at her and says Well if you actually bothered to help instead of letting me have all the fun maybe this would go quicker!

After Worog's comment he grumbles a bit Oh sure when I say it no one listens but when Gloomsby McSurly says it everybody listens to him! I have feelings and ideas too you know!

Cavir
2014-05-31, 07:32 AM
Djanriss sees Michael bolts across the bridge and is in disbelief. "What's he doing? He is going to get himself killed or us surrounded on the bridge." Djanriss starts to run across the bridge to try to catch up.

cosmonuts
2014-05-31, 03:16 PM
THE BRIDGE

Rheiska's horse maneuvered onto the bridge and stopped, with Rheiska preparing to defend.

An archer in the camp moved to get a better shot around the shield wall, readying his bow and firing off an arrow. The arrow glanced off Michael's full plate with a whistle and a clank.

Two swordsmen ran up to join the shield wall, readying their swords and shields.

The doors to the wooden building burst open, and out came a warrior wielding a massive greatsword. He held his weapon with confidence. He locked eyes with Michael.

"It's the Ninth," said the warrior.

Fear and uncertainty passed through the faces of the swordsmen and archers.

The warrior laughed. "I like challenges."

A man in robes stepped out of the building. His eyes swept the bridge calmly.

"Guests?" said the man. "The Ninth, I presume. They've been burning our bridges the last few days. Let's see if they live up to their reputation—we're no slouches either."

The dog growled and charged at Michael. He bit at Michael's ankles, but failed to penetrate the full plate.

The soldiers at the front of the shield wall broke formation and fled, terror upon their faces.

"Cowards!" shouted the archer. He quickly stepped for a clear shot and let loose two arrows. The first whizzed over Michael's head and the second struck his plate at an oblique angle and clattered to the ground uselessly.

A swordsman charged at Michael and swung his sword, but the brunt of the blow was absorbed by the full plate, leaving Michael unharmed.

"What in the—" said the soldier.

Players' turn.

Anubis Dread
2014-05-31, 04:18 PM
It seemed as though they were an unideal situation. Though this seemed to be the extent of their reinforcements, they seemed to be a cut above the average barbarian. Enough so he was even loathe to attempt to scare them off, as they could well be too strong for him to do so. And the Warrior looked tough enough blinding may well not be an option...

"You're not the only one with reinforcements," Worog advised the enemy, nudging his horse forward a bit before muttering under his breath in dwarvish. Suddenly, from behind the enemy assaulting Michael appeared a rift into the netherworld, through which a massive half-owl, half-bear skeleton crawled its way through. Between the horse and the creature, the enemy was now thoroughly pinned... and he knew how hungry the dead could be.

Summon Undead Level 2 to summon a Skeletal Owlbear. Worog auto-succeeds his Concentration check here since its DC 10 and he as a +10 modifier.

Here is the Skeleton's token:

http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs29/i/2008/117/b/3/Owlbear_Skeleton_by_aeringa_jordsdottir.jpg

cosmonuts
2014-05-31, 04:55 PM
THE BRIDGE

From a cloud of conjuration smoke emerged a large owlbear skeleton. Without hesitation the skeleton ripped into the swordsman with its claws and teeth, mostly failing to penetrate the swordsman's armor, but managing a horrific slash across his face. The swordsman screamed as a large bloody chunk was ripped from his cheek.

Oseyerys
2014-05-31, 05:14 PM
Asthelion

The elf sees the majority of his group migrate to the middle of the bridge where much combat ensues. He figures Rheiska is no longer in need of assistance by Axis since she is surrounded by her companions. That and the fact that Djanriss and the guard mentioned a "scouting party" caused him to recall his companion, Axis, Heel!

With that, the cooshee hears the elf and breaks off of his post around Rheiska to return to Asthelion.

Now that he will have some backup should the scouting party in question return, Asthlion turns to Rose, Rose, since no one seems interested in doing what we actually came here to do, help me out with this will you? They can cover us while we do this and when we get this to burn we can call them back. Besides if this "scouting party" of theirs returns we need to stay back and cover them to avoid getting flanked. If the reinforcements do in fact show up... well, we'll burn that bridge when we get to it... Why am I so witty, really? Maybe I should be a bard..

With that horrible joke, he throws her a pint of oil from his bag while he uses one to pour on the bridge.

That was a terrible joke, even I know that... oh well. Asthelion's going to start dousing the bridge on his side with the oil for hopefully enhanced incendiary combustion when the bridge will be set on fire.

He's also going to be on the lookout for any returning scouts as mentioned by the late guardsman (may he rest in peace).
Listen: (I know there's a lot of commotion but you never know) [roll0]
Spot: [roll1]

cosmonuts
2014-05-31, 06:58 PM
THE BRIDGE

Asthelion tossed a container of oil at Rose.

Catching is a free action.

u-b
2014-06-01, 12:37 AM
Michael was somewhat surprized by Djanriss not going for the pillars and somewhat annoyed by Asthelion not going for the archers, again, but other than that, things went according to the plan so far, and with that big mean skeleton Worog has summoned, it was quite possible to stick on the far side of the bridge for a bit more time, even if Michael did not quite like the guy in the robes...

Sivko, without any extra commands, stomps the swordsman into the ground. "Good horse..." - Michael kicks it lightly in one side, the steed understanding the command and sidestepping left.

With swordsman down, Michael holds the net with his shield hand for a moment and attempts to cast a spell, hoping the dog will not be much of a problem.

Sivko's full attack, with flanking, starting with the swordsman:
Hoof: [roll0] for [roll1]
Hoof: [roll2] for [roll3]
Bite: [roll4] for [roll5]

Casting Shield of Faith on Sivko.

Have cover (behind the skeleton) from far archer, but not from near archer.

Time Blossom
2014-06-01, 09:21 AM
"Hmph," Rheiska observes, eyes narrowing and lips curling into a thin smile as Celadir paws the bridge. "A barbarian in simple robes? And commanding the troops no less? I do believe I smell a mage."

Raising her shield, she spurs Celadir onwards, bringing him up alongside Michael and raising her shield to block any incoming arrows–and shield their conversation.

"There's magic in that one, I'd wager," she observes in a low voice. "The others should be preparing to burn the bridge, but we should still try and neutralize him, if we can; he'll be trouble later, if we let him escape."

Celadir takes a double-move to catch up with everyone and form a defensive line. Rheiska take the total defense action.

Guide with knees roll: [roll0]

Also, her sigils are back up, just for the record.

cosmonuts
2014-06-01, 10:59 AM
THE BRIDGE

The swordsman in front of Michael was knocked to the ground unceremoniously and ceased to move.

We await the actions of Rose, Djanriss, and Axis.

Cavir
2014-06-01, 02:26 PM
Djanriss slows from an outright run but is still moving rapidly and take the groups left flank. The shadows still surround him.

"Rose and Ath are working on the other end. Since you brought the fight to this side we'll need to finish it fast or the horses may not have a way back. My other job will take much longer than this will. I can still get to it pretty quickly if needed. This isn't supposed to be a suicide mission."

JanusJones
2014-06-02, 12:19 AM
Snatching the flask, Rose shoots a quick glance at the dog, dismissing it, then sprints across the bridge to join the crew.

Running - quadruple move.

cosmonuts
2014-06-02, 01:59 AM
THE BRIDGE

"We need reinforcements!" said an archer. He moved back, turned his bow to the sky, and fired an arrow. The arrow flew over the trees on the far end of the bridge, emitting a sound of a bird call.

The two swordsmen still holding the shield wall withdrew slightly.

"Curses," muttered one, "we're in trouble."

The warrior and the robed man went to stand by the shield wall. The swordsmen affected by the scare spell continued to flee. The dog, seeing the swordsman next to him fall, attempted to dash to safety, and the skeleton took the opportunity to rip into the dog's sides, opening a gaping wound through its furs. Sivko attempted to strike but missed.

I assume here Michael takes the AoO.
Michael quickly remedied this by striking at the dog with his mace, killing it instantly. An archer ran towards the shield wall, swearing as he saw the dog die. He quickly drew an arrow and fired it off at Michael. It whizzed just by Michael's head. The archer swore again.

Players' turn.

Time Blossom
2014-06-02, 07:17 AM
Rheiska scowls as the signal arrow flies overhead, and does a rapid analysis of the situation.

Enemy backup inbound. Fire will not spread with sufficient speed. Result: company surrounded. Possible enemy mage, capabilities unknown. Problem.

Most expedient course of action: eliminate hostiles before more arrive.

She raises her shield instinctively as the archer's arrow whizzes by Michael's head. This does not help the enemy's case.

"Well. If they think they can just snipe at us while they hide behind such a paltry wall, let's show them what an Imperial siege looks like. Pauthak kireyu!"

Spurring Celadir onwards, she charges across the bridge to the enemy encampment, locking eyes with the greatsword-wielding warrior and whispering a simple command which carries across the din of battle. "Sleep."

Celadir runs to get us in range.

Guide with knees: [roll0]

Standard action to use the Sleep Hex on the warrior. DC 16 Will or fall asleep for 4 rounds, allies can take a standard action to wake him if they think they can afford to take their eyes off us for that long. :smallamused:

Hexes don't have somatic components as near as I can tell, so I should be able to use it while keeping my armaments at the ready. If not, I can stow my hammer as a move and then draw it again as a free.

Oh, and that little battlecry translates as "Press the advantage!" Which is probably a bit overconfident, considering.

Oseyerys
2014-06-02, 08:18 AM
Asthelion

The elf sees his companion take off for the far side of the bridge and looks at Axis who had arrived at his side, Oookaaaaaay, so it looks like it's just you and I are the one's guarding their asses then. Typical, really. You know, there's no respect. They don't bother worrying about flanking or scouting or long ranged targets because they just assume I'm going to be there to save the day. You know what that is? Lazy.

Asthelion then hears the bird call arrow, That's cool... I want one.

The elf then starts hurriedly pouring the contents of the flask onto the bridge in preparation of the burning while keeping an eye out for any new guests.

Oil covers 5 sq. feet. Shame but logical I suppose.

Listen: [roll0]

Axis:

Spot: [roll3]

Anubis Dread
2014-06-02, 09:23 AM
This was getting out of hand... why was everyone being such a reckless fool! First he had to run after one hot blooded young one, and now he had to run even further to make sure another of his allies wasn't skewered.

"No more games. Fall back IMMEDIATELY! I'll try and ensure you all don't die in a burst of flame," Worog chastised his allies. Though the ones at the back of the bridge were a little... VERBAL about their distaste about how the battle was going on, he felt their frustration.

Staying his position for a few moments, Worog muttered under his breath before shooting the mage a look. Him... he would be the target. Continuing to cast in Dwarvish, the Necromancer's voice began to reach a pitch before a pair of spectral eyes appeared in his hand. Without a second glance, he crushed the pair in his fist before turning to his skeleton.

"You. Buy them some time," Worog ordered.

Using two 1st level spell lots per Versatile Spellcaster to cast Blindness on the mage. DC 16 Fortitude negates permanent Blindness.

u-b
2014-06-02, 10:42 AM
Contrary to Worog's command, Michael rides forward, and, holding the net with the shield hand for a moment, casts one more spell. This time the effect is quite visible in the form of a large sheet of thin ice under the "shield wall" of the opposition. Michael looks at the man in robes warily.

"Just keep it that way, Wo."

Casting Ice Slick as shown on the map. Anyone in there, balance DC 10 now. If failed by 5 or more, fall down. Any case, if does not have 5 ranks in Balance, flatfooted. On any subsequent attempt to move or do stuff, Balance DC 10: if failed by 5 or more, fall down; if made, can move half speed.

Oseyerys
2014-06-02, 10:48 AM
Asthelion

As he is dumping the oil Asthelion looks over his shoulder and sees his companions getting farther and farther away caught up in the heat of combat, No guys don't worry you go off and play with your new friends I'll just be standing here... you know... DOING WHAT WE'RE ACTUALLY SUPPOSED TO BE DOING!!!!

cosmonuts
2014-06-02, 01:08 PM
THE BRIDGE

The sleep hex washed over the warrior, who blinked a few times confusedly, but was otherwise unaffected. Almost immediately after the hex, a thin sheet of ice was drawn under the shield wall's position. The warrior and the archer managed to retain their balances, but the swordsmen slipped and fell.

Cavir
2014-06-02, 03:22 PM
Djanriss sees his mounted allies getting into charging range and hurries to catch up, shadows still circling around him making it harder to fully make him out. "Icing them, very nice. Hit them hard!"

Run action, 110'. Stance is active so still in concealment.

cosmonuts
2014-06-03, 01:59 PM
THE BRIDGE

The man in robes' eyes clouded over and became unfocused, much as a blind man's would.

I believe Axis and Rose have yet to move.

JanusJones
2014-06-03, 03:23 PM
Over her shoulder, Rose shouts back to Ath as she sprints for the frontlines: "Clearly you don't need my support - I'll go help the others, since they aren't as impressively over-qualified as bridge-burners."

cosmonuts
2014-06-03, 04:46 PM
THE BRIDGE

The archer behind the ice slick shot two arrows at Michael, both striking with precision between the links in his armor.

Michael takes 9 damage from the first shot, and 4 from the second.
The swordsmen attempted to stand on the ice, but slipped again. One chose to roll off the ice slick, while the other slowly struggled against the slippery surface to make his way to the slick's borders. The warrior attempted to step off the ice but slipped and fell. Swearing, he quickly rolled to the side, adjusting his position.

A stream of arcane words left the robed man's mouth, and Djanriss and Rheiska felt a dull stupor come over them. Nonetheless, they shook off the effect.

The archer on the ice slick slipped and fell. He rolled off the ice with some effort.

The two fleeing swordsmen were too far and disappeared from view.

Players' turn.

Cavir
2014-06-03, 10:38 PM
Djanriss smiles at the failed spell and the opportunity of a blinded mage but says nothing in order to keep the mage further in the dark. He charges right toward the mage, shadows flowing around him, but has the ice slick and a couple of prone swordsmen in the way. Just as he reaches the edge of the slick he flaps his wings and jumps over, landing adjacent to the mage. His flail, which would be a two handed weapon for a human but easily wielded with one by Djanriss, continues in a low sweep and tries to take out the blinded mage's legs out from under him.

A bunch of rolls here, but it would be awesome if it all works.

Stance: Keeping Child of Shadow (20% concealment)
Full-round action: Charge the mage (70' max movement)

- Moving 25' west (to edge of slick)
- Jump (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/jump.htm) 25' over ice slick (DC 25 with running start, +5 STR, +5 ranks, +10 wings, +2 synergy) [roll0]
- If the prone swordsmen still threaten around them and I don't get enough height to clear their threatened spaces, tumble checks for avoiding their AoOs (I'm still concealed)
(-10 for moving full speed = DC 25 for swordsman I am going over) [roll1]
(-10 for moving full speed +2nd target= DC 27 for swordsman I am going by) [roll2]
- In case I don't get the full jump distance, I'll glide from the apex to the mage for the extra 5' to clear the ice

- Trip (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/specialAttacks.htm#trip) attempt
Using a flail, so no AoO generated (plus he is blind)
Melee Touch attack [roll3]
him: (blinded (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/conditionSummary.htm#blinded) = -2 AC, no Dex bonus)
me: Attack bonuses (STR +5, Charge +2, BAB +2, Bless +1)
Trip attempt (my STR vs his STR or DEX) [roll4]
him: Blinded = -4 on STR and DEX checks
me: STR +5, Large +4
If I win, he goes prone

In case of counter-trip (same bonuses as above, STR vs STR, if I lose I drop my flail) [roll5]

cosmonuts
2014-06-03, 11:03 PM
THE BRIDGE

Djanriss leapt the ice, rapidly dodging past the fallen swordsmen before they could strike, and knocked the robed man to the ground, flail wrapped around the man's legs. The man's swear was cut short by his impact with the dirt.

Anubis Dread
2014-06-03, 11:33 PM
Perfect. The mage was blinded, the enemy was off balance. If they retreated now there was no way the enemy would be able to pursue them. The plan was working perfectly, albeit a little more involved than they had intended. So long as no-one engaged the enemy directly they would be...

"I suppose we're going to have many a grave to dig today after all," he sighed as he saw the dragonborn engage the enemy. "Just once I would like for someone to have pity on these bones." Speaking of which...

"Engage the enemy as best as you are able," Worog told his skeletal minion, looking out over the battlefield. Looking at it all... he could either engage, and try to cut down the enemy faster. Or retreat, and aid in their actual mission. If he engaged at this point and they needed to fall back they'd never be able to get everyone out in time... he was also running out of spells far faster than he was comfortable with.

Turning his mount, the dwarf forced it into a canter, before reining it in beside the only one of their number that had remembered their real purpose and dismounting. "Keep calm Asthelion. Let them have their fun. They'll either finish them up or be able to fall back soon enough. As it stands, have you any more oil? I could use my bedroll as kindling, but I'd rather it not come to that."

u-b
2014-06-04, 08:55 AM
Michael coughs, but manages to hold another cough. That coughing does not make things any better. The arrow through the hip was painful, but not all that dangerous. The arrow through the lung was worse. Why is it so hard to get used to the pain, even knowing it's here for no real time?

"Nice shot, buddy. Care to do it again?"

Michael guides the horse to the prone swordsmen, which means riding across the ice. On ice, Sivko seems to walk just as well as on solid ground, only slower. The way the stallion stomps the hooves into the ice shows great skill resulting from ample practice (no surprise for the Ninth). Michael gets off the saddle just outside of the ice, near one of the swordsmen, leaving the net on the horse and zaps healing belt.

Sivko is going to attack the opposition without any special command, but I rolled Handle Animal in case it helps to have Michael choose the target (as opposed to Sivko choosing the target). The roll is a success and the preferred target is outside the icing.

The net will most likely fall down as soon as Sivko moves anywhere and possibly sooner.

Healing belt, 2 charges: [roll2]

Besides, did the skeletarius move last turn? Who's supposed to move the thing, DM or the player?

cosmonuts
2014-06-04, 11:49 AM
THE BRIDGE

Forgot to move skeleton last round (also assumed player would move it). Excuse me...

Also, Djanriss actually failed to make the touch attack to trip the magey fellow. So I'm too lazy to go back and redescribe the scene, we'll pretend the mage is actually tripped. Consider this a "bonus" for not having moved the skellie last round.
The horse kicked the swordsman. There was a dull crack as several bones shattered.

The skeleton ran up to join the combat.

Time Blossom
2014-06-04, 02:58 PM
Rheiska's expression sours as the warrior shakes off her hex, then brightens considerably as the ground freezes beneath him and the full strength of the Ninth descends upon his merry little band.

"Well that's more like it," she purrs, bringing Celadir around to the fallen enemies and leaping down at the edge of the ice, bringing her hammer down in a heavy blow upon the warrior with a bloodthirsty battlecry.

Actions are in the OOC. Because I derped.

Oseyerys
2014-06-04, 06:24 PM
Asthelion

The elf hears his companion's horse approach behind him. At the dwarf's inquiries, Asthleion pulls out two more pints of oil, Light 'em up he says simply, tossing Worog one.

With one pint with Rose, one on the bridge, one in Asthlion's hand, and one now given to Worog, Asthelion should have six left in his bag.

Axis continues to be on the lookout for anything suspicious.

Taking 10 for spot should lead him to have a 18
Taking 10 also for Survival he has an 18 if he scents any scouting party lurking.

Anubis Dread
2014-06-04, 07:30 PM
Catching the oil in hand, the dwarf immediately set about dousing the bridge. "One hopes they're either done or retreating by the time we need to ignire our actual target," Worog noted a little biy wryly as he set to work.

Unless it's a standard action to catch rather than a free, Worog should still have one action left to actual douse the bridge with the oil.

Oseyerys
2014-06-04, 07:35 PM
Doom-and-gloom, Asthelion exclaims looking at Worog with a shocked expression, Did you just... attempt to a joke?... Gods have mercy there's hope for you yet!, he then turns back to his work, But yes, either that or they better be good swimmers.

Anubis Dread
2014-06-04, 07:59 PM
"It was completely accidental I assure you," Worog replied with a dry chuckle. He wasn't completely humorless... though now was hardly the time to be jesting with everything going on. Death was no laughing matter, and win or lose there would be much death this day.

cosmonuts
2014-06-04, 10:21 PM
THE BRIDGE

The warrior deftly rolled to the side of Rheiska's hammer swing.

JanusJones
2014-06-05, 11:46 PM
Rose eyes the situation and takes aim with an arrow at the standing archer.

[roll0]/[roll1]
[roll2]/[roll3]

cosmonuts
2014-06-06, 01:37 AM
THE BRIDGE

Rose's arrow whizzed by the archer's shoulder.

The archer said, "That's it! I didn't sign up to fight the Ninth!" He turned and ran.

The swordsman on the ice tried to stand but slipped once again. Cursing, he shuffled off the ice with some difficulty. Sivko attempted to stomp on him but he dodged the hoof with a sudden roll.

The swordsman in front of Michael quickly stood. He took the opportunity to create distance between himself and the conflict.

I believe Michael is holding a wand at the moment? So he doesn't get an AoO unless he shield bashes, which would remove his shield bonus to AC.

In any case, I rolled the AoO result already. It's a miss, so you might want to pretend you didn't intend on taking it.
The warrior attempted to stand but slipped. Rheiska took the opportunity to strike, but her warhammer swung wide, only managing to scrape the warrior. Bleeding slightly, the warrior pushed himself off the ice.

"You—!" said the robed man to the warrior. "Stay. We can still win this. Ninth be damned, I'll put the fear of magic into them!" A rapid series of arcane words left his mouth. Djanriss swung his flail at the robed man, but the flail overshot, landing uselessly a few feet away from the man.

The robed man finished casting and a surge of color rushed from his fingers out to meet Djanriss. Djanriss was blinded and stunned. A scream from behind him—the swordsman who had just gotten off the ice was struck by the spell as well.

Okay, so Djanriss is blind 3 rounds and stun 1 round.
The robed man quickly stood.

The archer next to Rheiska stood. Rheiska's horse attacked the archer as he tried to stand but the archer quickly dodged and fired an arrow into Rheiska at point-blank range.

Rheiska takes 8 damage.
An arrow from an unknown source flew over the treetops of the forest north of the bridge, emitting a bird call.

Players' turn.

All in all, this round was boring. The warrior rolled below a 5 on his standing attempt. All the attack attempts rolled low, with AoOs rolling under 5, and Djanriss rolling a 1 when anything else would have hit. Rheiska rolled minimum damage on her strike. Djanriss save was surprisingly normal (13, including modifiers), although not high enough. The swordsman who got hit by the spell rolled a 1, of course. Why would he roll anything else? He rolled a 1 to fail to stand, a 1 to fail to resist a spell.

If you're wondering where I'm rolling my dice, I'm using this website (http://www.random.org/), since it uses atmospheric noise to generate truly random numbers. I guess this was just an exceptionally dumb round.

u-b
2014-06-06, 08:42 AM
Sivko continued to fight the swordsmen, kicking and biting at one of them who remained nearby. Michael moved towards the enamy, drawing a Morningstar, and swinging it at...

...either the swordsman or the caster.

Morningstar: [roll6] for [roll7]

Cavir
2014-06-06, 01:05 PM
Djanriss's eyes burn, causing him to drop his flail as his hand goes up to his eyes. As the shock dissipates Djanriss focuses on where the mage should be and on any sounds of him stumbling away.

Start of the following round so that cosmonut can include it: Trying to keep track of where the mage is via Listening and Blind-fight (granted the blind-fight mechanics don't quite work that way, but it's good for RP). Maybe his blindness will have him stagger into me so we can start a grapple :)

cosmonuts
2014-06-06, 02:17 PM
THE BRIDGE

The horse's hooves crushed the swordsman's collarbone, causing him to yell in shock briefly before falling unconscious.

The morningstar struck the robed man across his chest, accompanied by a spray of blood.

Waiting on: Rose, Rheiska, Asthelion, and Worog.

Oseyerys
2014-06-06, 07:03 PM
Asthelion

The elf hears and sees another arrow in the sky make a bird call, Again, he says, I want one. Remember that for my birthday Worog. Anyway looks like we're going to have company real soon, if you have anything that could burn this faster than it would take me to light a fire via flint and steel that'd be fantastic.

He then dumps his second pint of oil on the bridge trailing it to the first splotch he had made, all the while keeping an eye on the treeline for any sight of danger.

Asthelion:
Spot: [roll0]

Axis:
Spot: [roll2]
Survival (for scent if applicable) [roll4]

Anubis Dread
2014-06-06, 07:17 PM
"Unfortunately you're ahead of me even there," the dwarf replied, tossing the remains of his oil flask into the mess to attempt for even a small bit of kindling. "With eyes that can see even the darkest of nights, I have no reason to carry objects for the warmth and light of flame."

They were signalling, and signalling another force by the looks of it... they had little time left. He hated to use yet more magic when he didn't know if they'd have more fights this day, but they needed a way to spread the flames quicker than they could otherwise.

"I will summon some aid to to spread the flames... continue," the necromancer told his comrade before beginning to mutter in dwarvish.

EDIT:

The skeleton, in the meanwhile, attempted to creak its way across the ice slick and claw at the only enemy it could get at.

Casting Summon Undead I to summon a Kobold Zombie in the pile of oil. Ideally it will unlive long enough once it's alight to shamble down the bridge a bit and spread the fire.

JanusJones
2014-06-07, 10:53 AM
Seeing Djarniss hit, Rose curses softly. A flick of light as something darts from her sleeves, and then the slender elf is gone.

Swift action to use my wand to go invisible.
Double move to close with the mage.

cosmonuts
2014-06-07, 01:12 PM
THE BRIDGE

The skeleton moved onto the ice slick and managed to retain its footing.

Worog's summoning continued.

Waiting on: Rheiska.

Time Blossom
2014-06-08, 06:24 PM
Rheiska's hammer slams into the icy ground, sending up a flurry of shattered snow as the warrior rolls out of the way.

"Really?" she mutters angrily. As the warrior stands up and her hammer smashes into him with a satisfying crunch, she gives a smile. "That's more like it."

Her smile widens and she gives the warrios a predatory stare as the mage shouts words of encouragement. "Yes, that's right, stay here. Come on, put the fear of magic into me, why don't you?" Her voice practically drips with sarcasm at the word 'magic.'

"Or better yet, how about I show you the real meaning of fear?"

Raising her hammer to the sky, she whispers a quick prayer to Tarmuid, and brings the hammer down in a savage blow.

Initiating Smite Chaos on the warrior. Assuming he's chaotic, the effects are as follows, and last until he's dead:

+2 deflection bonus to AC against him
+4 profane attack bonus against him.
+2 profane damage bonus against him.
Attacks bypass DR

Attack: [roll0]
Crit confirm: [roll1]
Damage: [roll2]
Crit damage: [roll3]

Smite bonuses are included; subtract as necessary.

I've also updated her sheet (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=899432) to include the Bless and Elation effects, finally, so maybe double-check that if you have the stats written down in a spreadsheet or something for quick-ref.

cosmonuts
2014-06-08, 07:43 PM
THE BRIDGE

Rheiska struck the warrior squarely on the side. The warrior made a pained noise.

The last of the magic supporting both the ice slick and skeleton dissipated, with the ice slick disappearing like a veil drawn over the landscape, and the skeleton disappearing in a cloud of black smoke.

The running archer continued to flee from the battle.

The swordsman behind the robed man dropped his sword, drew a vial, and tossed it into the fray. The vial shattered next to the robed man and immediately smoke engulfed the group.

Rose fell to the ground, unconscious. Djanriss was hit by the full force of the smoke, drowsiness tugging at his mind, but managed to stay conscious. Michael was not so fortunate; the drowsiness overwhelmed him, and he dropped unconscious.

The robed man coughed and wheezed and faltered, but somehow through the smoke he persisted.

I may have forgotten about some immunities, if it happens some of you are immune to unconsciousness or poison. Please inform me if this is the case, and I'll retroactively change this scene.
"Get out of there!" said the swordsman.

The warrior laughed. "Can't believe you're still awake," he said to the robed man. "Shift!" The warrior abruptly teleported ten feet away from Rheiska, and charged.

He struck Rheiska.

For 19 damage.
The robed man staggered out of the smoke. "Can't... breathe... you... damn..."

Can Djanriss find a way to make an AoO despite being blind? If so, he uses the flail to hit for 15 damage, which drops the magey fellow. If so, tell me, then this scene will be redone.
The robed man wheezed. "You... threw... it... too... close... idiot... Scorch!" He shot out a red hot beam of energy, but blind as he was, the beam missed hilariously, striking a tree far in the distance. It was not clear who he was aiming for, but Djanriss was as good a guess as any.

The archer by Rheiska stepped back and fired two shots rapidly. The first shot hit for a minor wound, while the second glanced off her armor and stuck into the ground.

Rheiska 4 damage.

Players' turn.

Oseyerys
2014-06-08, 08:36 PM
Asthelion

Hearing the dwarf's answer, the elf grunts and pulls out a torch to light, So be it, I just hope our company doesn't get here until we get set. But that would require things to go our way and we know how often that happens...

As he hears the commotion at the other end of the bridge Asthelion shouts over his shoulder, What's going on over there?!?!?! Don't get too deep into it because as much as I'd love to save you all... again, Doom-and-Gloom and I here are the only ones doing what we're actually supposed to be doing.

Asthelion keeping an eye on things in the underbrush
Listen: [roll0]

If he is able to, he's going to start lighting the torch this round too, otherwise he'll do it next round.

Axis
Spot: [roll3]
Survival (for Scent if applicable): [roll4]

Axis is simply walking the treeline looking sniffing for anything.

Anubis Dread
2014-06-09, 12:09 AM
"It is done," the dwarf replied plainly as an undead kobold clawed its way out of the nether, moaning as it shambled into being. "For now, prepare yourself to be lit ablaze," he went on, the zombie beginning to roll itself around in oil much like a pig would wallow in mud.

"As for the others, it is the passion of youth that drives them... I would not rob them of it. Though I pray they are not robbed of something far more valuable in the process," he sighed morbidly.

Finishing up Summon Undead I that was started to cast last round into the square of oil Worog lay down. Other than that, Worog readies an action to case Cause Fear if an enemy suddenly leaps them from behind. The reinforcement signalling has him on edge

Here is a good pic to use for the zombie:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-z62hKBGQw3E/UWYiD8ouswI/AAAAAAAAAro/XPrjl3uTMHU/s1600/kobold.jpg

u-b
2014-06-09, 09:18 AM
"Hold breath." was Michael's thought at first sight of the smoke. It was also his last thought before passing out, except for maybe "Oh, shi..."

Djanriss can clearly hear an armored person falling to the ground.

Sivko most likely attacks something. That something might be the offending swordsman, the warrior or the nearest archer. I doubt it would be the wizard. Anyway, the roll:

Hoof: [roll0] (flanking not included, but might apply)

Besides, if the warior is indeed where he is, what was the trajectory of his charge? I'm asking because it seems there might be some difference. If he went "--", Celadir should have had an AoO. If he went "-\", he should be fine, but I'm not sure if that is the shorthest path: it's 2.5 squares rounded down to 2.0, while "--" and an attack from a diagonal would be 2.0 squares throughout. For future reference, are these equally shorthest paths?

Cavir
2014-06-09, 01:55 PM
Knowing that taking out the mage is critical, Djanriss leaves his flail on the ground somewhere around him, summons the shadows around him, and charges towards where the mage should be.

Swift: Child of Shadows stance (20% concealment with moving >10')
Still wielding shield and spiked gauntlets. Blinded: (-2AC) and no dex bonus = AC 15

Listen check: [roll0]
If the Listen succeeds I aim for the mage. If the Listen fails I'm still "charging" in the last direction I knew (straight left) since it is the IC thing to do.

Full: Charging Minotaur (http://dndtools.eu/spells/tome-of-battle-the-book-of-nine-swords--88/charging-minotaur--3712/) (no AoOs)

Opposed Strength checks (-4 each for us both being blind, +5 for my STR, +4 for my size, +2 charging) [roll1]
If I win:
- [roll2] damage
- movement: push him back 5' + another 5' for every 5 that I beat him on the check. I will follow along.

cosmonuts
2014-06-09, 05:01 PM
THE BRIDGE

Forgot to mention: Those knocked unconscious are actually asleep (as described in the sleep spell). The original poison actually does knock targets unconscious, but I did not intend on having players cart around their buddies, because that would be dumb and boring.

Also, I'm having trouble with token creation at the moment, so I'm just making do with a generic kobold token. NBD anyhow, since combat may well be close to over.
Djanriss charged and swung at air, missing the robed man.

Celadir unleashed a flurry of attacks upon the warrior, half of which hit. Nonetheless, few could withstand the full brunt of a warhorse's attacks, and the warrior was no exception; the power behind the attacks left him visibly badly injured. The warrior let out a gasp of pain.

Yo, dem horses hurt the warrior more than any of your puny attacks. Not sure how I feel about this.

Anyways, waiting on: Rheiska and Worog. (And Djanriss too, I guess, since you said something about updating post based on results.)

cosmonuts
2014-06-20, 06:14 PM
THE BRIDGE

The archer ran far away and disappeared from view.

The sleep-inducing smoke spread, causing both the swordsman and robed man to fall to the floor. Djanriss resisted it.

The warrior swung in a wide arc, catching Rheiska and her steed in his powerful blow. They fell to the ground.

I had Rheiska and her horse set to -1 HP (stable) automatically, and traded away the warrior's action for this turn.
The remaining archer went wide-eyed at seeing the robed man fall, said, "Oh, no," and then turned and ran. He ran out of sight.

Players' turn.

u-b
2014-06-20, 11:44 PM
Michael lies unconscious. Sivko attacks some opposition.

Besides, where's the map?

Oseyerys
2014-06-23, 10:15 PM
Asthelion

The elf looks grimly at his hastily splashed oil on the bridge and sighs, Well let's hope it's good enough, hey Smiles McGrinning I'm lighting it over here, he says to Worog and starts lighting his torch.

Asthelion
Spot: [roll0]

If he is able he'll throw the torch down on the oil. If not... well that's next turn then.

Axis
Spot: [roll2]
Scent: [roll4]

Cavir
2014-06-24, 08:48 PM
Djanriss realizes the two enemy next to him have succumbed to the gas and knows he has been lucky with it so far. He hears the cry and crashing of a horse falling. He knows the the situation is not going well and it is time for backup. Before hurrying to blindly escape the fumes he calls upon his amulet's power commanding "SCORP, grab him!". A scorpion, the size of a horse, appears by the enemy warrior. As it goes to grab the warrior in its claws, Djanriss heads to where he hopes he is clear of the smoke while drawing his greatsword.

Standard Action: Activate Amber Amulet of Vermin (Large Scorpion (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/monstrousScorpion.htm)) MiC p68

Move Action:move south to have the scorpion in between myself and the warrior, moving at least 10' and keep going until out of the smoke. Drawing Greatsword, keeping shield on for now. I'll move my char, please move it more if I am still in the cloud.

Stance: Child of Shadows (20% concealment with moving >10')

Free 5' movement to warrior in case my blindness summons him a little off

Full Attack: 1 Sting and 2 grab (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/specialAttacks.htm#grapple) attempts

Sting: [roll0] (flanking with horse included)
Damage: [roll1] + Poison (DC 14, initial 1d4 CON, secondary 1d4 CON)

1st grab (no AoO due to Improved Grapple)
Melee Touch attack: [roll2] (flanking)
If a hit, opposed grapple check (scorp: +3 BAB, +4 Large, +4 STR, +4 Improved Grapple) vs (him: BAB + STR + Improved Grapple if he has it)
[roll3]

2nd grab (no AoO due to Improved Grapple)
Melee Touch attack: [roll4] (flanking)
If a hit, opposed grapple check (scorp: +3 BAB, +4 Large, +4 STR, +4 Improved Grapple) vs (him: BAB + STR + Improved Grapple if he has it)
[roll5]

If either hit, Constrict damage [roll6] and the warrior is grappled.