PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder First Time DM

skypse
2014-05-21, 06:44 AM
Hello everyone! My group's DM is gonna be absent for some weeks so we are taking a pause from our campaign. However lots of my friends are getting insterested in starting playing D&D and due to the fact that I am the most experienced and educated around D&D from us all, I decided to ask our DM for some guidelines and a good first-time-campaign to play. He adviced me to start them with the Rise of the Runelords campaign setting.

Due to the fact that my friends are complete noobs (except for one who plays with me in the other group) I told them what to study in order to have some basic knowledge of the game (skills, combat, checks, etc) and I gave them a 20 point buy instead of the standard 15 that the campaign suggests. I don't want to make it super easy for them but it is certain that they will make mistakes so I want to make it a little less overwhelming.

I am asking for any advice you can give to a first time DM. I am playing a standard campaign setting so I don't think I will have a problem with unfolding the story but anything that can come to your mind is totally welcomed!! Thanks in advance!!!

MightyPirate
2014-05-21, 08:33 AM
I've been running the Anniversary Edition for my group and I can say it's a pretty good recommendation. Be careful with chapter 2, the miniboss of book one can be pretty overwhelming, and it's possible to find her Cathedral without exploring all the catacombs for loot first. Have fun with the goblins, they easily made it my favorite book so far (but we're just now starting book 3 so . . .)

I might also recommend you check out the one shot module We Be Goblins You Be Food (http://paizo.com/paizo/blog/v5748dyo5lbum). The party is a premade pack of goblins out to recover a crate of fireworks from a shipwreck in their home swamp. It's free and a great way to introduce people to the game. I warn that it's a little evil and a lot silly but I wouldn't have it any other way.

Tvtyrant
2014-05-21, 02:06 PM
I suggest doing a 1 off with separate characters first. This let's the new players explore their dynamics and the game rules without punishing first time mistakes.