PDA

View Full Version : Best Robe for a Bard?

Hiro Quester
2014-05-21, 08:53 AM
My 17th level Bard has outgrown his mithril chain shirt (his Dex bonus is now higher than the +6 limit), and he now has Bracers of Armor +7.

So he could wear a robe. and we have just had a couple of high-level encounters, so we have some loot. And some time in a city to go shopping, or oder items made.

What can go in a body slot that would be useful for a bard (buffer, backup caster, melee when needed)?

Rebel7284
2014-05-21, 09:05 AM
Well there is VEST OF THE ARCHMAGI from MIC. It does work like bracers too.

John Longarrow
2014-05-21, 09:23 AM
See if you can get the artifact "The Robe of Hugh".
Some of its many powers are
1) Beautiful women will undress and pose for you.
2) People will pay you for images of these women.
3) You will attract many, many followers.
4) Women who remain in your company for long will aquire the "Bunny" template.

Gildedragon
2014-05-21, 09:42 AM
I know you might not want armor but may I suggest:
Masterwork Spidersilk (from Underdark): exotic but no acp, AC +3, max Dex 8
Add the reinforced (Dr 358)
Segmented (Dr 358)
Ornate (Dr 358)
Feycraft (DMG2) qualities for 1 extra ac and Dex and +2 diplo and bluff
All for less than 300 gp

You can then slap on it any body slot magic you like

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2014-05-21, 09:43 AM
Well there is VEST OF THE ARCHMAGI from MIC. It does work like bracers too.

A vest takes a different body slot from a robe or armor. MIC p246 only lists 16 items that take the Body (Non-Armor) slot, none of which really jumps out as being extremely useful or amazing. Even the Bargain Basement (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=350.0) skips over this body slot.

Maybe pick from the various Psychoactive Skins (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/items/universalItems.htm#psychoactiveSkins) (more in MIC p169-172), though none of those actually occupy any body slot.

You could make a custom item that occupies a robe slot, DMG p288 shows that a robe slot has an affinity for 'multiple effects' so as long as the item does more than one thing it should be priced normally. I'd make it a psionic item with two powers: Continuous Toughsight (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/touchsight.htm) at manifester level 5th, for 60,000 gp, which as a 60-ft. radius. Any time you're subject to an attack or targeted by a hostile action of any kind it automatically activates the power Oak Body (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/oakBody.htm) at manifester level 13 if it's not already active. For each time per day the robe can activate this it costs an additional 26,000 gp, so at 5/day the item's total cost is 190,000 gp.

Talya
2014-05-21, 11:08 AM
A vest takes a different body slot from a robe or armor.

Indeed, and if you're a bard and the vest you choose is not called a "vest of legends" you failed.

Hiro Quester
2014-05-21, 12:05 PM
Indeed, I do already have a vest of legends (with Resistance added). So, as a couple of you said, vests aren't what's needed.

And the DM has banned psionics. And I don't think I can quite afford those psionic ability enhancements, anyway. But a custom item might be what's needed. It's possible to take an ability on a vest or an armor enhancement, and have a custom body-slot item made with a similar enhancement (as long as it fits with that slot --e.g. no boots of +4 intelligence). But robes that increase dodging, AC, Natural Armor, etc. are possible, I guess.

I'm am a bard/sublime chord, though. 8th level spells, and should get 9th soon. So caster-enhancing robes are an attractive idea. I just don't know all the options. Robe of arcane might, perhaps. But I don't need the AC bonus (I have bracers), and don't have a specialization school.

And John Longarrow, my character is a Bard with a +15 Charisma bonus. I don't need items to get interesting companions.

Edit: remove typo.

John Longarrow
2014-05-21, 12:19 PM
Hiro Quester,
But do they get the Bunny Template for free???

Do you have anything that boost your Perform skill?

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2014-05-21, 12:29 PM
You can take normal clothing, add a +1 Enhancement bonus to Armor just like it's a suit of armor, and add more armor special abilities to it afterward. It would take your armor/body item slot just like armor, and you can even add an armor crystal (MIC). I'd recommend the Soulfire armor property (BoED), but get fortification from a Gemstone of Fortification in the Draconomicon.

Hiro Quester
2014-05-21, 06:28 PM
Thanks everyone. Biff, for custom enhancements like that (which might be a good option) can you just enhance an ordinary shirt or robe?

To enhance a weapon, it needs to be a masterwork weapon. Is there an equivalent requirement for clothing?

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2014-05-21, 06:38 PM
Thanks everyone. Biff, for custom enhancements like that (which might be a good option) can you just enhance an ordinary shirt or robe?

To enhance a weapon, it needs to be a masterwork weapon. Is there an equivalent requirement for clothing?

There's no such thing as masterwork clothing. Craft Magic Arms and Armor can only make magical armor, weapons, and shields, not clothing, so technically this would be a wondrous item, even though it's based on the rules for pricing magic armor. You can cast Magic Vestment (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/magicVestment.htm) on a set of clothing to add an Enhancement bonus to armor, so there's no reason you shouldn't be able to apply magic armor properties to clothing as long as it's at least of +1 quality.

firebrandtoluc
2014-05-21, 09:31 PM
Check out the Robe of Mysterious Conjuration. 3/day you can spontaneously cast Summon Monster spells using an appropriate level slot. Very versatile. Unless you already know a few summon monsters.

Hiro Quester
2014-05-22, 05:42 AM
Check out the Robe of Mysterious Conjuration. 3/day you can spontaneously cast Summon Monster spells using an appropriate level slot. Very versatile. Unless you already know a few summon monsters.

I did consider that robe. But the character is fairly arrogant, thinks everyone needs his help, and likes to be stepping in to deal with situations that others struggle with. So summoning help isn't something he'd do that often.

Plus our party is big already. 8 players when all attend. So adding summoned creatures adds extra crowdedness to that game dynamic. Takes even longer between turns. And I hate it when people don't know how their spells work. Running a monster I have only just met would also slowdown gameplay.

Darrin
2014-05-22, 06:42 AM
How about a Kimono of Storing (Oriental Adventures)? It's a fantastic bargain if you can get it at the original price (4400 GP). However, even if your DM insists on the 3.5 price (Dragon #318), it sounds like you can afford 20K.

Madhava
2014-05-22, 08:02 AM
There's nightscale armor, from the Forgotten Realms Underdark supplement... AC bonus +2, & max dex bonus +10. You could load this up with enchantments & your favorite armor crystal, also.

Hiro Quester
2014-05-23, 07:23 AM
I think I'm going to go with some nightscale armor (or a well tailored leather jacket if I can't find nightscale), and enhance it with a couple of useful features (e.g. Displacement, fortification, death ward).

Thanks, everyone!

Gildedragon
2014-05-23, 10:33 AM
So not the 9 max Dex, +4 AC pimped up spidersilk armor?