PDA

View Full Version : "Permanent" Instantaneous Buffs/Effects

Raishoiken
2014-05-21, 08:59 AM
would a buff spell/power with an instantaneous duration permanently grant that buff? say you take make an epic spell using the shadow and heal seeds, the shadow seed used to mimic a spell and the heal seed to make it instantaneous. the spell you mimic is saaaay, bull strength. would you get a permanent +4 enhancement bonus to strength? the offensive capabilities for this are also pretty cool if it works. so far i've been assuming that this is the case, i'm wondering what the playground has to say on the matter

Gildedragon
2014-05-21, 12:06 PM
If you're using spell seeds it means you are at epic, if you are epic you can do whatever (the DM will allow)
For a pre epic solution: last breath trap + suicide until you have a body you like

Vaz
2014-05-21, 01:33 PM
whoa whoa, slow down buckaroo.

Permanent and Instantaneous are two different things in d&d. Permanent can be dispelled. Instantaneous cannot.

However i get the gist of what you are saying, yes. A spell using multiple seeds uses the shortest duration, that duration being instantaneous.

This is one of the tricks I use in epic, provided my DM lets me.

Chronos
2014-05-21, 02:29 PM
There are also a handful of spells pre-epic which instantaneously grant some benefit. Off the top of my head, Wish can give inherent bonuses to ability scores, and Mantle of the Fiery Soul grants the fire subtype.

Raishoiken
2014-05-22, 07:40 AM
whoa whoa, slow down buckaroo.

Permanent and Instantaneous are two different things in d&d. Permanent can be dispelled. Instantaneous cannot.

However i get the gist of what you are saying, yes. A spell using multiple seeds uses the shortest duration, that duration being instantaneous.

This is one of the tricks I use in epic,
provided my DM lets me.
probably gonna edit the title, I thought someone might bring it up

There are also a handful of spells pre-epic which instantaneously grant some benefit. Off the top of my head, Wish can give inherent bonuses to ability scores, and Mantle of the Fiery Soul grants the fire subtype.

it's for permanently getting undispellable permanent buffs you're not supposed to or making permanent offensive moves such as: permanent energy immunity , permanent summon monster minions, divine power . i was hopeful for graymantle but spell wording stops that abuse, same with dolorous blow, i wanted to cry TT_TT