PDA

View Full Version : Jaws of the Dragon

Pepper
2007-02-15, 08:19 PM
Jaws of the Dragon pg 83 of the Draconomicon states that the device resizes to the size of the wearer, but also states that the wearer must have a bite attack to gain any benefit.

Sorry if this is a redundant question (did a search but found nothing) is it possible for a humanoid, possibly a monk or a barbarian class, to HAVE a bite attack?

Im assuming bite attacks are different then just saying i try to 'bite' the enemy.

I was envisioning some sort of fast moving melee build, wearing these jaws.

Gralamin
2007-02-15, 08:23 PM
Its very unlikey for bite to do anything but non-lethal damage, as only really on a critical (biting the jugular vain for example) would deal real damage.

Pepper
2007-02-15, 08:28 PM
Okay, but it would be possible for a creature without a natural bite attack to attack with these jaws?

Saithis Bladewing
2007-02-15, 08:43 PM
By their intent, I believe the answer is no. Realistically, the answer would be yes as long as the creature has the ability to bite.

AtomicKitKat
2007-02-15, 09:01 PM
Just get Willing Deformity: Mouth or something, where you've filed your teeth to sharp points. I think it's in the Heroes of Horror book. Otherwise, you could take things like the Wildrunner PrC(Races of the Wild), but you have to be an elf, and only during the (wild)Frenzy. Blackblood Cultist from Champions of Ruin also bite in rage, but eventually learn to bite anytime. Anything which turns you into the form of an animal with a bite would work as well. Or you can be a Druid and pass one to the Animal Companion, allowing you both to bite as though you were larger. :P

oriong
2007-02-15, 11:23 PM
No, a normal human does not have a bite attack. They can bite someone, but they still do not possess a natural bite attack so no go.

Zincorium
2007-02-16, 01:24 AM
Gnolls I believe can take a feat to use a bite attack, but it's rather blah. As far as other humanoids, I don't know. An easy, if not particularly good, way of getting one would be dragon disciple.

AtomicKitKat
2007-02-16, 02:01 AM
Here we go: Defomity (Teeth) (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20051007a&page=4)

Beleriphon
2007-02-16, 02:07 AM
Jaws of the Dragon pg 83 of the Draconomicon states that the device resizes to the size of the wearer, but also states that the wearer must have a bite attack to gain any benefit.

Sorry if this is a redundant question (did a search but found nothing) is it possible for a humanoid, possibly a monk or a barbarian class, to HAVE a bite attack?

Im assuming bite attacks are different then just saying i try to 'bite' the enemy.

I was envisioning some sort of fast moving melee build, wearing these jaws.

As mentioned no. The reason being that unless something has a bite attack listed in its stat block, or racial write up, then it doesn't possess a bit attack. While I couldn't certainly bite somebody in a fight it isn't quite the same thing as a dog doing it, or worse a bear.

Person_Man
2007-02-16, 11:20 AM
AtomicKitKat gives good advice on this. There's +0 LA race in Stormwrack that gets +2 Str and has a bite attack as well. Willing Deformity works. Several prestige classes or spells give you one as well.

Since you can do natural attacks IN ADDITION TO your normal attack routine, a nice combo is to pick up a bunch of them, one level of Warshaper, and use Power Attack + Natural Attacks + Improved Multi-Attack feat. But remember that in D&D combat battlefield control wins, so dumping all of your feats into one damage related combo is usually a bad idea.

Fax Celestis
2007-02-16, 11:48 AM
Thri-Kreen would work, and could add poison to a single bite too.

Ivius
2007-02-16, 04:30 PM
Just take a level of sorcerer and two of dragon disciple. Natural armor and cantrips never hurt anyone either.

axraelshelm
2007-02-16, 06:48 PM
A totemist from magic of incarnum can make a soul meld to give himself a bite attack i think it'll work then.

Nevermore
2007-02-16, 11:23 PM
Could play a Lizard Folk