PDA

View Full Version : 12th level feat for Dread Necromancer

Grayson01
2014-05-21, 11:00 AM
Trying to decide between 3 feats for a Dread Necromancer for level 12.
Craft Contingency Spell
Craft Wand
Craft Rod

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2014-05-21, 11:03 AM
What feats do you already have, and what's your race?

Rebel7284
2014-05-21, 11:08 AM
Craft Contingent Spell is one of the most incredible feats in the game. This is not really a contest.

I was going to ask this too:
What feats do you already have, and what's your race?

But with Craft Contingent Spell on the table, it's not really relevant anymore.

OldTrees1
2014-05-21, 11:37 AM
Craft Contingent Spell is ideal for several reasons
1) It is the most thematically appropriate of the 3 feats (you can put up contingent Necromancy spells like Summon Undead or Harm).
2) It is sufficiently powerful for any group.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2014-05-21, 11:49 AM
Craft Contingent Spell is an excellent feat, but there aren't many Dread Necromancer spells that it can be used for. Ideally you should have another spellcaster in your party who can contribute a spell when you make one of those, but if that's not the case you should make sure you'll have access to hire an NPC spellcaster to do that for you.

Grayson01
2014-05-21, 11:51 AM
I was leaning towards CCS. Was trying to think what spells to use with it.
As to what feats I already have.
1) Tomb-Tainted Soul Flaw) Areniel Focus
3) frightful Necromancer
6) sickening grasp
9) Fell Animate

John Longarrow
2014-05-21, 11:55 AM
And you haven't picked up CorpseCrafter yet?

I'd figure you'd want that very early on in your career. Boosts ALL undead you create with necromancy spells. Gets abusable when those you kill rise up to fight for you... :xykon:

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2014-05-21, 12:09 PM
I was leaning towards CCS. Was trying to think what spells to use with it.
As to what feats I already have.
1) Tomb-Tainted Soul Flaw) Areniel Focus
3) frightful Necromancer
6) sickening grasp
9) Fell Animate

I'm not able to find any feat named Frightful Necromancer, not even google can find it.

You should really have Versatile Spellcaster, some way of casting Desecrate (Arcane Disciple: Evil), and preferably Fell Energy Spell so Desecrate gives your undead +6 hp/hd instead of the normal +2.

Rebel7284
2014-05-21, 12:54 PM
I assume he meant: http://dndtools.eu/feats/complete-mage--58/fearsome-necromancy--1098/

edit: Except he technically does not qualify...

OldTrees1
2014-05-21, 03:14 PM
And you haven't picked up CorpseCrafter yet?

I'd figure you'd want that very early on in your career. Boosts ALL undead you create with necromancy spells. Gets abusable when those you kill rise up to fight for you... :xykon:

CorpseCrafter is a Cohort's feat. Real Necromancers control their minion's animations.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2014-05-21, 03:23 PM
CorpseCrafter is a Cohort's feat. Real Necromancers control their minion's animations.

No, your cohort should be a Psion with Psychic Reformation (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/psychicReformation.htm) so you can benefit from having all of those feats whenever you need to.

Grayson01
2014-05-21, 03:36 PM
I assume he meant: http://dndtools.eu/feats/complete-mage--58/fearsome-necromancy--1098/

edit: Except he technically does not qualify...

That's the one, sorry it's been a long day.
And by the strictist RAW no I don't but I got the okay to qualify.