PDA

View Full Version : An Idea for Balancing the classes! Pls Check!

Fawsto
2007-02-15, 08:52 PM
Ok, this forum is full of these... But I hope I am bringing something new!

This will take some steps, so pay attenction, pls.

Step 1: What is unbalanced among the D&D core classes? (a few things)

- In the first lvls spellcasters are very, very underpower compared to the fighting classes.
- In the High lvls spellcasters are extremely overpower compared to the fighting classes
- Clerics can do the same job of a fighter in high levels and can cast some deadly spells as well
- Wizards can bend reality to theyr own will in high lvls
- Sorcerers can span a magical effect many times till the enemy is affected in high lvls
- Druids can shapechange into deadly creatures that can kill any fighter of the same lvl if above 15 (or sooner)
- Fighters can only do 1 thing, fight! This is not versatile at all!
- Paladins are effective in combat for a short time (usually when the smite evil ends)
- Two weapon fighting rangers are very easy to kill in combat (not enough HP and AC...)
- Bards are extremely underpowered compared to ANY core class

Step 2: Solving the problems.

The effectiveness of a spellcaster in the lower lvls lays on how many times he can cast a spell (usually a combat spell). So, now, let's make it possible to spellcasters to regain some of his spells by resting for 1 hour, so they would recover a number of spells equal to his casting atribute modifier (Int, Wis, Cha)

To diminish the spellcasters powers in high levels, now lvl 7, 8 and 9 spells take a full round action to be cast (this Idea is not mine). Or the spellcasters are obligated to make a save check ( 1d20 + 1/2 caster lvl + atrib modifier) against a DC based on the spell's lvl that was cast + 15 to cast another spell in the next turn.

Usually all the spellcasters have the "I win Button", so, as I said in another thread, let's give the fighting classes (as I refer to the classes with a good BAB) a special attack. When used this attack would make possible to the fighting class to do 2 full round actions (mostly used to do 2 full attacks or 2 combat manouvers like trip and disarm). I call it "Signature Move". This move will be added as a class feature and has no "uses per day"; but a character may only use a Signature Move again after some rounds. Check the trable in the end of the post for more details.

Now, also all fighting classes would get Spot, Listen, Survival and Use Magic Device skills as class skills. Why? Because these classes are often used to guard places agains intruders, so they must detect those. These classes also are known to stay away from cities for a long period, so they must know how to survive in the wilderness. With used magic device all fighting classes can heal their own wounds and buff themselves for a short period of time, making them more effective. The fighting classes now have at least a (4 + Int modifier) x 4 skill points.

Paladins would loose the remove desease class feature, but they would be able to remove deseases using the lay on hands feature. They are now capable of recharging the lay on hands poll a number of times per day equal to his Cha modifier x 1/2. Paladins can now smite per encounter. Paladins now receive their spells 1 lvl sooner. (These are not Ideas of mine)

The Two Handed Fighting tree now includes two handed defense, so now the Rangers have a better AC (Not my idea). They also receive their spells 1 lvl sooner. Rangers also get the Quick Draw feat for free in the 1st level.

Fighters now receive automaticaly, when they reach the appropriate lvls, the folowing feats: Weapon Focus, Weapon Specialization, Greater weapon Focus and Greater weapon specialization.

Bard's song of Courage and Song of Greatness gives better buffs ( as descipted in phb + 2. And 1 extra HD for the Song of Greatness). The Song of competence gives + 4 competence bonus.

Now... Since most of the classes are better compared to spellcasters it looks like it is very easy to them to defeat more powerfull monsters, so, from now on, all monsters and encounters are giving 20% less xp. This also is making the combat quite faster, since the quantity of damage has increased.

I hope these are good ideas... I posted them in a hurry... Please coment and give suggestions. I know I made mistakes and I probably overpowered some classes, please do not worry, I will clean the mess with time. Thank you.
The table of the "Signature Move" (aka SMove) is following.

Fighter:
4 SMove: Every 1d12 rounds
8 SMove: Every 1d10 rounds
12 SMove: Every 1d8 rounds
16 SMove: Every 1d6 rounds
20 SMove: Every 1d4 rounds

Ranger, Barbarian, Paladin and Monk*
5 SMove: Every 1d12 rounds
10 SMove: Every 1d10 rounds
15 SMove: Every 1d8 rounds
20 SMove: Every 1d6 rounds

*Monks will follow the same tree as the Paladin, Ranger and Barbarian, but they will stop at every 1d8 rounds. Rogues will receive the Signature Move at lvl 10 (Every 1d12 rounds) and again at lvl 20 (Every 1d10 rounds).

Arbitrarity
2007-02-15, 09:11 PM
I have baad balance feelings about fighters using double full round attacks every time a dragon breathes...

And I think there's another table somewhere.

Fawsto
2007-02-16, 09:43 AM
well the idea is this one: If a wizard can Desintegrate a enemy and kill him instantly, a fighter would be able to do something near to it... Remembering that not all the attacks will hit...

Dunno, pehaps instead of 2 full round actions, a full round action + a partial action... So there won't be any 20 attacks in 6 seconds for those 2 weapon fighting guys...

Roderick_BR
2007-02-16, 10:05 AM
I like the wizard's adjusts. Make it that they can rest one hour for every 1 to 3rd level spells, 2 hours for 4th to 6th, and 3 hours for every 7th to 9th level spells, and 30 minutes for 0 level. This way a wizard can recover low level spells quickly, while waiting 3 hours for a 9th level spell is possible but takes too much time.

Fighters: Don't need to give him a full round movement. Just get him higher level feats. They will require high BAB and several chain feats, so it won't be unbalanced.

I saw the suggestions about casting high levels spells as a minimum of full round and mixing TWF with TWDefense in the forum, and I'm thinking about using that in my games.