PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A similar feats as prerequisites

Smegskull
2014-05-21, 05:07 PM
Can someone confirm or deny this for me (a reference if it is true would be great).

I remember reading somewhere something along the lines of "If a character has a feat or a combination of feats which gives the same effect as another feat he can be treated as having that feat for the sake of prerequisites".

I haven't been playing long so I read everything I could and now can't remember where I have read stuff when I need to reference it at the table.

Any help would be great thanks.

realbombchu
2014-05-21, 05:23 PM
You might've read something like that in Tome of Battle. It's not exactly like that, though. Several feats in Tome of Battle are considered "similar" to feats from the Player's Handbook and can stand in for them as prereqs. The two examples I know off the top of my head are Stone Power (for Power Attack) and Desert Wind Dodge (for Dodge).

It's not what you had in mind, I'm sure, but I hope it helps.

nedz
2014-05-21, 06:01 PM
It depends upon the precise wording of the prerequisite in question: so the general answer is no.

It is a common and reasonable house rule to play the game otherwise: so talk to your DM.

Is there a particular pre-req you had in mind ?

Smegskull
2014-05-22, 04:34 PM
the feat I am specifically looking at is "Holy Radiance, requires: Cha 15, Nimbus of Light, effect: Glow with light harmful to undead" I am playing as an Angel which comes with an aura of light.

I was hoping to interpret the feat as "make my glow become harmful to undead" and weather my glow comes from nimbus of light or aura of light becomes irrelevant.

maybe I read it in a pathfinder book but that using similar feats quote sounds so familiar to me.

Edit:
Found a quote like it in races of stone on substitution level feats
"This bonus does not stack with the bonus from Weapon
Focus, but it is treated as the equivalent of Weapon Focus
for the purpose of qualifying for feats, prestige classes, and
anything else that requires that feat. For example, a dwarf
fighter with this ability could take Weapon Specialization
(battleaxe) without selecting Weapon Focus (battleaxe) as a
separate feat."