PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Turn/Rebuke Undead Clarification

jordan.k93
2014-05-21, 05:39 PM
Hey, so I've gotten a little unsure on my grasp on the Turn/Rebuke Undead ability, and was hoping you geezers could clear it up?

I understand the Turning Check, no problem

I understand that 'Turning Damage' is not damage, why did they call it that...

I just am unsure on the effect of a successful turn...

Here's the different ways I interpret the rules:

1) A turned/rebuked creature has attacks against them at a +2...
...and a turned [but not rebuked] creature flees blablabla as per PHB1 p159

2) A turned/rebuked creature has attacks against them at a +2 and the creature flees blablabla as per PHB1 p159

3) The creature also is considered cowering if turned/rebuked.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2014-05-21, 05:43 PM
The SRD entry: (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/specialAttacks.htm#turnOrRebukeUndead)

Effect and Duration of Turning

Turned undead flee from you by the best and fastest means available to them. They flee for 10 rounds (1 minute). If they cannot flee, they cower (giving any attack rolls against them a +2 bonus). If you approach within 10 feet of them, however, they overcome being turned and act normally. (You can stand within 10 feet without breaking the turning effect—you just can’t approach them.) You can attack them with ranged attacks (from at least 10 feet away), and others can attack them in any fashion, without breaking the turning effect.

Turned undead will flee if possible.

IF they cannot flee, they cower and everyone gets +2 to hit them.

IF the person who turned them approaches within 10 ft. (that is, moves toward them, it doesn't count if the undead are bull rushed or otherwise forced toward the cleric) then it breaks the effect on the one(s) he approached and got within 10 ft. of.

Rebuked

A rebuked undead creature cowers as if in awe (attack rolls against the creature get a +2 bonus). The effect lasts 10 rounds.

Rebuked undead just cower for the duration, everyone gets +2 to hit them, and it's not broken if you approach them.

jordan.k93
2014-05-21, 05:50 PM
I have the SRD and the problem is the wording, if it said something like "And the creature is considered Cowering" then it would make perfect sense, however, "A rebuked undead creature cowers as if in awe (attack rolls against the creature get a +2 bonus)." doesn't help, since a Cowering the status effect has a -2AC on it and states it is frozen in fear and can not attack.

That's the part I'm really looking for confirmation on I suppose, does Turn/Rebuke actually make a creature cower in the status effect term or just give attack rolls against it +2?

Summary (Correct?):

Rebuke = +2 To Hit

Turned = Flee, if can not flee, +2 To Hit, Broken by approaching within 10ft

Neither instigate the "Cowering" status effect.

NecessaryWeevil
2014-05-21, 06:11 PM
Not sure I understand your confusion; if it says they cower, then they cower. The -2 to AC is part of the effect of cowering. A +2 to hit and a -2 to AC are functionally identical.

jordan.k93
2014-05-21, 06:21 PM
Not sure I understand your confusion; if it says they cower, then they cower. The -2 to AC is part of the effect of cowering. A +2 to hit and a -2 to AC are functionally identical.

Mathmatically and functionally the same yes, just doesn't make any sense why Wizards would have chosen this random ability and this ability only to change up the maths like that.

And usually when applying a status effect it clearly says something along the lines of (E.G. Cause Fear) "The affected creature becomes frightened." X = Y sort of lay out, which makes me think the word "cower" is just used as flavour