PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Class Inspired Devotee - Factotum Variant

Falcon X
2014-05-21, 06:07 PM
Check out this Factotum Variant I brewed up and let me know if it makes sense, needs more details, or has inconsistencies. I'm hoping to keep the class at Tier 3, near the same level as Factotum.

It is designed for one of my players who wants to play a cleric of Lord Ao. As we know, Lord Ao doesn't grant his followers spells. So, I decided to treat the character as the Christian religion believes their God interacts with them.
The view of the Christian God is one doesn't hand out miracles like candy, but occasionally performs a sign or wonder at key times if His choosing. Most often, His main interaction with His followers is by gentle leadings of thoughts and focus, sometimes revealing supernatural knowledge on a subject. His focus is on the mind and spirit of the follower, rather than on the outside world.

Factotum Variant:
Inspired Devotee
There are some gods that do not grant their clerics spells. Their ways are subtler, and their followers must have greater faith than those who follow gods who regularly grant miracles. The Inspired Devotee is such a follower. While they do not generally have access to spells, they maintain a constant sense of their god’s will and purpose in their day-to-day activity. Other clerics often assume that an Inspired Devotee has divination spells that are always active and always guiding.
Alignment and Religion: As the Cleric
Weapon and Armor Proficiencies: As the Cleric.
Aura: As the Cleric
Base Save Bonuses: The Inspired Devotee has good Will and Fortitude saves, but poor reflex saves.
The Inspired Devotee has all the standard factotum class features, except as noted below:
Multiclassing: The Inspired Devotee may freely multiclass with Crusader, as both classes receive inspiration from their deities. A multiclassed Crusader may treat Inspired Devotee levels as full initiator levels for the purposes of highest-level maneuvers known. Likewise, a Inspired Devotee may count Crusader levels for the purposes of highest Spell Level available to cast.

Class Features:
the Inspired Devotee has all the normal class features of a Factotum, except as noted below. In addition, in all features that use your Intelligence bonus, use your Wisdom bonus instead. It is implied that instead of drawing from broad knowledge, you are given special focus or divine insight into the task.
Inspiration: The Inspired Devotee is faithful in all things, and his god blesses his every step, giving him the knowledge he needs to survive. He sees occasional miracles, receives divine guidance during fights, and in all things is blessed with understanding. However, it is given in portions set out by the deity, and is limited by the Inspired Devotee’s devotion.
To represent his limits per encounter, an Inspired Devotee gains inspiration points that he can spend to activate his abilities. At the beginning of each encounter, he gains a number of inspiration points determined by his level.
Miraculous Intervention (Sp): Replaces Arcane Dilettante. At 2nd level, upon your request, your deity begins to intervene to a greater degree than your normal inspiration. By spending 1 inspiration point, the Inspired Devotee may petition his deity for any Divination spell from any spell list of the appropriate level. This is treated as a spell-like ability.
At the Dungeon Master’s discretion, the Inspired Devotee may make a special petition to his deity to perform a spell outside of the Divination spell list. These should be treated as Rare Miracles for either dire circumstances or in situations that the deity would have some invested interest. It is implied that the Inspired Devotee is crying out for the deity’s active attention, and thus the request should never be treated lightly or as common.
Also at the Dungeon Master’s discretion, a deity may choose to teach an Inspired Devotee a spell from another list that may be performed as a Ritual. These usually involve complex actions or sacrifices. For example, the Inspired Devotee may be allowed to learn an elaborate chant or dance that has the effect of a Heal spell. A Rare Miracle or Ritual would still use 1 inspiration point unless the Dungeon Master otherwise rules. An Inspired Devotee may never know more than one ritual per spell level.
You may use Miraculous Intervention a number of times per day based on your Inspired Devotee level. You have access to one spell at level 2, and gain additional spells as shown on Table 1-1 of the Factotum class. The maximum level of spell you can use, according to your class level, is also shown on the table. You can select any spell up to that level, but you can only use one spell per day at your maximum level. Your caster level equals your level in this character class. The Difficulty Class for a saving throw against your spell is 10 + the spell level + your Wis modifier.
Once you have used a spell, you cannot use it again until you have rested for 8 hours. You cannot use spells that require an XP cost unless they are treated as Rare Miracles.
Turn or Rebuke Undead (Su): Replaces Opportunistic Piety. Is used as the Cleric ability by the same name.

gkathellar
2014-05-22, 07:40 AM
If I were you, I'd just switch the baseline Factotum from wizard spell SLAs to cleric spell ones, and leave it ambiguous as to whether or not they were actually being granted by Ao (which is perfectly in keeping with Realms lore, since chaotic deities have been known to grant spells to people who believe themselves to be receiving benefits from other entities).

Edit: Cyric in particular has been known to grant spells to worshipped of the former Dead Three, IIRC, but I wouldn't put it past CN deities Iooking for giggles, or CG/CEdeities with more concrete interests to advance.

Gildedragon
2014-05-22, 10:37 AM
Concur.
Also there are no restrictions for Crusader multiclassing IIRC.
If you wanted to bring them mechanically closer: cleric spells instead of Sorc/Wizard, 1 domain power at some point, and replace Opp. Pi. With maneuvers learned