PDA

View Full Version : N4tS Hard Rain: James

Acanous
2014-05-21, 10:07 PM
Firstly, gain 3 XP for completing a thread.
secondly,
"Yes, I do have his number, but I don't think he'd like me to share it without asking him first. He is standing next to me though. Hold on a second."

Darling puts you on hold for a bit. Nice to talk to you too, I guess.

Ascaloth
2014-05-21, 10:28 PM
Weird. James was almost certain Darling would try to make things difficult for him, hold him up with some hemming and hawing and maybe a little snarking, simply out of spite. He was bracing himself for the inevitable tedium of it all, in fact, and was slightly surprised when she simply did what she asked. Guess the girl must be a little distracted, perhaps from the fact that she happened to be with the Primogen himself. Strange coincidence, too, that she happened to be with the very individual he was looking for.

Shrugging, James simply waited for Darling to get back on the line. He can afford to wait. In the meantime, he resolved to place a call to Christian next; apart from Ryan, the guy's the only Gangrel contact he has, and probably the only one he can call to get a sense of what's been happening with their Clan since Ryan disappeared. If he can't reach Christian, Stephanie may be the only other lead James has on that front.

Acanous
2014-05-21, 11:24 PM
"He says try the Suncor Plaza in the Parkades."
Well. Seems she's in a giving mood.
You could probably call Christian on the way to the plaza, it's about a 10 minute walk.

Ascaloth
2014-05-21, 11:29 PM
"Thanks, Darling. Much obliged. Convey my regards to His Excellency, if you don't mind."

With that, James hung up.

He could walk to the plaza, of course. The question is, is he still on the clock? Or was it his designated 'lunchtime' yet, and could he afford the time to do so?

Acanous
2014-05-22, 10:41 PM
You are still on the clock. Lunch is an option- with the hours everyone's been putting in, you know you can take your break at an odd hour, and the others will be thankful for it.
Of course, you have no idea how long this might take- a parkade is big, and Caveman may not be the only rat down there.

Ascaloth
2014-05-22, 11:03 PM
Still worth a shot. If he can find at least one Rat, surely they wouldn't mind pointing him to Caveman. Or otherwise, Caveman doesn't have to be the only Rat he could strike a deal with...

He'll wrap things up on his end, take his odd-hour break, and drive to the Suncour plaza instead; easier to cover more ground inside a parkade with a car, rather than walking. On the way, he would dial Christian's number, and hope to get the Gangrel.

What day of the week is it anyway? How long to Elysium?

Acanous
2014-05-22, 11:26 PM
It's Thursday. Elysium is Saturday.
The phone rings thrice before being gruffly answered.
"Yo, who's this?"
Seems either you never gave him your number, or he's not entered it into his phone.

The drive to Suncor is short and uneventful, though you do spot a limo pulling in to china town on the way.
As you get to the Parkade, it seems rather desolate. Place still smells like stale water, though the ever-present scent of car exhaust is doing what it can to cover the odor.

Ascaloth
2014-05-22, 11:39 PM
"Christian? James here. Met you with Stephanie at the Stampede, same day I got you to go down and fetch Darling and her girls when the screwup there happened? Remember?"

James said, as he drove to his destination. He will conclude his call with Christian before driving down to the deepest levels of the parkade, wouldn't do to break connection after all. One thing at a time.

EDIT: That's not Christian's text colour, you used this one (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=15331211&postcount=1116) for him previously. Mistake, or is this someone else entirely?

Acanous
2014-05-22, 11:48 PM
(It was someone different. But that's OK, I'll keep rollin'.)
"Christian? Yeah one sec, I'll grab him."
There's a bit of muffled movement and conversation, then Christian answers.
"Hey, I'm getting a call from the Scourge. What do I owe the pleasure?"

Ascaloth
2014-05-22, 11:52 PM
"Hey, Christian! Glad you're alright. So listen, I've been concerned about the Sheriff since I heard something of what went down. I owe him a lot, so I figured I'll pay back the favour. Help you guys track him down, figure out what happened. Anything you can tell me so I can get started?"

Acanous
2014-05-23, 12:00 AM
There's silence on the line for a bit.
"Well, he was in High River. Tracking Sabbat. There's been some.... upheaval in the clan. Leadership is not one of our strong suits, and things have been a bit crazy. Right now? The common haven is being looked after by the rocker chick and her posse. I'm crashing with a friend. What do you need to know?"

Ascaloth
2014-05-23, 12:12 AM
Interesting, on so many levels.

"Tracking Sabbat, was it? Any idea how he got the lead that sent him there to High River? That's probably where I should start. Oh, and if you're okay to spill, tell me what's going on with your Clan in the meantime, so I don't step on any tails."

James said, musing to himself. The Sheriff was hunting Sabbat? Darling's looking after the Gangrel haven at the moment? And also...

"Also, you familiar with any of his Deputies? One named Stanley, in particular."

Acanous
2014-05-23, 05:29 PM
"Kinda. There was an incident at the Dalhousie train station, guy went to deal with it. This was like, the night the flood hit. So he must have been racing the river south. Took a couple others with him, enough to verify that yeah, it was some black fangs. Haven't heard back from him since.
Far as things go with our clan, that's kinda private. Nothing you should be worrying about, we're not stirring anyone else's pot."
He listens for a bit, then replies.
"Oh, that Stanley guy? Yeah, he's been around. Wants to be the new Sheriff, I figure. It'll probably be down to him or Steve. He's been mighty friendly though, so eh, whatever."

Ascaloth
2014-05-23, 07:49 PM
"Black fangs... are what again exactly? Jog my memory again, if you don't mind."

James said, taking down mental notes he'll commit to paper form afterwards. So, the Sheriff was last seen at the Dalhousie train station prior to his disappearance. His next investigative efforts should be focused in that direction... what are his options there? See if he can requisition any tapes from that station on that particular night? Poke Glitch again and see if the Wipers did anything there?

"Any of you guys out there looking for him? Bea, maybe? Perhaps that Stanley fella? I'm actually surprised I didn't hear of any of you guys doing search parties. Ain't you folks worried about where he may be?"

So, Stanley is at least known among the Gangrel. Might explain why he's hanging around near their haven. Thing is, what is he up to?

Acanous
2014-05-23, 08:06 PM
You can actually hear some muffled hooting and the sounds of a fight in the background.
"You know. Black fangs. Bad bats. Kindred that don't play nice with the rest of us."
You certainly could try to get the tapes, there. If there was supernatural activity, you can bet Glitch and the wipers would be involved. Dropping that it's about finding Ryan might even get them to show you what they erased.
"Bea and Steve are kinda busy. We been having some problems, but it's nothing I can talk about."

Ascaloth
2014-05-23, 10:40 PM
Ah.

"Right. Gotcha, Christian. Thanks."

Well, ****. The Sheriff was right after all, Sabbat were making a move into this city.

"Alright, I understand. Tell you what Christian. You need any help, perhaps a place to lay low from the craziness? Talk to me, I'll put you up for a bit."

There is a spare room or two in his apartment, right? Worse comes to worst, James didn't think he'd mind sharing a room or something, at least temporarily. Seems like Clan Gangrel is a right mess, and maybe he could get at least one of them into a debt he could call upon later.

Right then. If the Sheriff was hunting Sabbat there, any records he could swipe of Dalhousie station that night must most certainly have been touched by the Wipers. Might as well cut to the chase and start from there; James would shoot off a text after his call to Christian.

Glitch, James. You guys did any work on records from Dalhousie train station, the night city start getting flooded? This is important, has to do with the big guy we're missing, so don't stonewall me on this.

Come to think of it, who was Glitch anyway? A Kindred same as himself, or some Kine with useful skills who happened to be in thrall to some powerful Kindred?

Acanous
2014-05-23, 11:01 PM
"Should be OK here, but thanks for the offer. I'll remember it if things do get weird."
Glitch buzzes you back.

Yeah we did something there. Took a bit, but the flood helped. Weird as that is. You need a peek?
From the look of her, you guess she could be Kindred. Maybe. That, or she's a girl who doesn't get much sun. Considering her profession and her hours, it COULD go either way. Maybe you should follow up on that? Aiden is known for having a lot of ghouls around.

Ascaloth
2014-05-24, 12:11 AM
"Just call me anytime you want to call it in. You take care."

James said, before ending the call to Christian and composing a reply to Glitch.

Yes, please. Send all the original files to my email, I'll need to take a look at it. Thanks.

Right. That was all the progress James supposed he could make in the case of the missing Sheriff. Time to put some work into his other major plan.

Waiting just a bit for Glitch's reply message (if any), James then drove down to the deepest levels of the Suncor's parkade, headlights on. If he doesn't see any of the Sewer Rats around, he would lock his car doors, wind down his window just a slit, and shout out for Caveman.

Acanous
2014-05-24, 02:41 PM
Done. Don't leak dis bitch or we're all deep in it.

You're waiting in the parkade a while. Actually, it's almost long enough that you're going to roll up your windows and leave before you hear the telltale squeak of his busted wheelchair.
"Heh. You again? Thought you were all big and important now. What brings the Scourge to my neck of this **** hole?"

Ascaloth
2014-05-24, 08:55 PM
Don't worry your pretty little head off there, sweetie. I know to keep mum about it.

"Never asked to be 'big and important', Caveman. More of a hassle than it's worth, and I didn't really have a choice about taking the job, you know."

James replied, killing the engine and popping the boot, and getting out of the car to approach Caveman.

"Anyway, this is related to that, somewhat. Come for a drive with me, let's talk a deal I have in mind."

He gestured to his car, intending to help Caveman into the passenger seat and stow his wheel chair into the boot.

Acanous
2014-05-24, 11:14 PM
the Nosferatu reeks of stale beer, bodily fluids, and dirt.
He climbs into your otherwise pristine car, leaving a smear on the door on his way in.

"You must need something, if you're coming all this way just to see me. What's the problem this time? Not another wolf I take it- I don't feel like dying tonight."

Ascaloth
2014-05-24, 11:24 PM
"Oh no, me neither. Just the one time is quite enough for me too, thank you very much. Not that I might have a choice in the matter... but that's something for another time."

James said, climbing back into the driver's seat after stowing away the wheelchair. Note to self; make some time during the weekend to give the car a thorough once-over.

"Here's the thing; it's about the two Harpies I asked about the last time. I'm going to need whatever assistance you can give me on them. Information, reconnaissance, muscle, what have you. Give me what I need, and I'll make it worth your while."

With that, James set course for his storage unit. Here's hoping Caveman will bite.

Acanous
2014-05-25, 12:57 AM
"Man, do I look like vampire Rambo? I don't think I could get within a hundred meters of either of them without getting tossed out by a big black bodyguard in a suit. Maybe if I'm real careful, they'll smell me before I get thrown out of the building.
You want info on them? I hear there's like some other guy they talk to now and again, he's real important to them but never shows up anywhere. Least, nowhere down here. You find that guy, they'll come to you.

So what's the worth my while part that gets me calling in favors to get you 'muscle'?"

Ascaloth
2014-05-25, 01:19 AM
"Oh, I'm bringing you right to it. Hang tight to your britches, Caveman."

James said smoothly, as he pulled into the parking space of his storage unit. Helping the Nosferatu back into his wheelchair, James wheeled him into the storage space, and gave Caveman some time to take it all in.

"Got a one-year lease on this here place. Paid for by His Highness Himself. What do you think? Would be a damn sight better than that soggy parkade you're bunking in while waiting out the flood repairs, no?"

"So the deal is, I might pop in for a look, pick up and drop a few things here for keeping now and again. Other than that, if you can get me whatever I need to know about the Harpies - that guy included, whoever he is - and maybe some fellas up for a little fun? Place is good as yours, at least until the lease expires."

Acanous
2014-05-25, 02:15 AM
He looks incredulous for the first half of your presentation, but his eyes light up when you offer it as a haven.

"Huh. Well OK then, Janitor. I'll see what I can drudge up for you. What you do to the Lasombra bitches ain't none of my concern, though. Win or lose, I get you your help and my half's paid for."

Paranoia must run rampant in the parkades. It's a good thing, you'd hate for this sort of inquisition against top socialites to trickle back to you, at least not before you have them disgraced or otherwise dealt with.

Ascaloth
2014-05-25, 03:24 AM
"That's the spirit, Caveman. Nice doing business with you."

James said, giving Caveman a friendly pat on the shoulder. Note to self, wash his hands at the soonest opportunity.

"Look forward to what you can get me. Feel free to bunk here starting now. Shall I leave you be here, or you want a ride back to fetch your stuff?"

Acanous
2014-05-25, 02:58 PM
"Sure. Gimme a ride back, rolling around is a lot easier when it's someone else doin' the pushing."
He seems begrudgingly happy, like he's wary about what he has to do.

The drive back is quick, and you actually spot Darling's beat up band van on the way into the parkade. Wonder what she's doing here.

Caveman gets out, gives you a gap-toothed smile, and disappears. "Be seeing you."

Ascaloth
2014-05-25, 07:24 PM
Darling, huh? Meh.

Right, then. He probably really has to be getting back to work, or they'll start wondering why he's been gone so long. Anything he has to wrap up back at the office in particular? For that matter, let's see if he can get next week's Vice patrols.

Intelligence + Computer: [roll0]
Spend 1 WP for one success.

Acanous
2014-05-26, 11:34 PM
you most certainly do get next week's vice patrols. Someone left them just sitting out for approval from the Lieutenant. You casually skim them over without raising suspicion, then head to your office.

There's surprisingly little work. The publicity stunt the mayor pulled and general sense of community lead to very few incidents. You can still make yourself busy, though, and preparation does help get a head start when something does come up.

Maybe you could even pull some extra work, earn yourself a favor or two.

The department is actually rather busy, people coming and going- mostly traffic and vice. There's still a few missing persons, they're presumed dead, now, and moved to homicide.

Ascaloth
2014-05-27, 12:30 AM
Let's reproduce next week's Vice schedule, and print it up to take home for Janet.

Hmmm, so he's actually free to do pretty much whatever he wants. Is there any way for him to review the files Glitch sent him in relative secrecy, where he can be reasonable sure no one else will eavesdrop (accidentally or otherwise)?

If not, let's get the prep work out of the way, and maybe even score himself a few more favours by pulling extra duties off other people's loads.

Acanous
2014-05-27, 12:49 AM
You can in fact review those files in relative privacy. Would you prefer to do so now, or to work on those favors for later?

Ascaloth
2014-05-27, 12:51 AM
The files take priority. James will view the files, taking extra care to ensure he cannot be surprised by anyone barging in.

Acanous
2014-05-27, 01:23 AM
The footage is dim and a bit grainy, as well as a tad obscured by rain- but you do easily see a white van pull up to the station, three people exit. One goes to the back, opening the double doors while the other two head to the train station. There's a few moments of nothing, then bodies start getting rolled from the back of the van like cord wood. They've been staked. The one guy jumps down from the back and starts removing stakes, and the bodies get up. A few people make it out of the station before the bloodbath starts. It lasts about 5 minutes before three people get back in the van and drive away. Four minutes after that, Ryan, Christian, Steve, that girl Bea who hangs out with Darling, and another girl you don't recognize drive up. Ryan, Christian, Steve and Bea go handle the vampires in the station while the girl makes a few calls. Afterward, they drive away, same direction as the van. You get the plate number, and find out that yeah, it's actually been searched before- the night of the flood. Belongs to a guy out in High River. A dead guy, listed as killed in the flood.

Ascaloth
2014-05-27, 03:26 AM
James could actually feel the vitae in his veins run cold. Which, considering what he is, was impressive in itself.

Not so much about the fact that he had seen with his own eyes that the Sabbat were a real thing in Calgary now; no, that much had been known for a while. Rather, it was the fact that James now knew that Christian had been lying to him. Not only were they there with the Sheriff the night he disappeared, the fact that every last one of them were now actually acting as though they had no idea as to the Sheriff's whereabouts. Even competing to be the successor to his position as Gangrel Primogen, from the looks of it. This, of course, means that Ryan...

The logical conclusion to that train of thought left James still, and he took a moment to himself to close his eyes. To think that the Sheriff, of all people, would be betrayed by those closest to him, and in such a manner. James found it ironic, almost miserably so, that a sociopath like himself was probably the only Kindred in the City whom knew about the Sheriff's fate, and actually closer than anyone else to mourning him.

A few more moments, then James opened his eyes again, with a determined look. Very well then. For whatever that was worth, this has informed his next course of action, on top of allowing him to skip a step.

Now, the question is... who else could he call upon to assist him? Who else might have an interest in seeking vengeance for Ryan? Unfortunately, James never did know Ryan well enough to be familiar with who the latter's friends really are. Then, it hit him. He did know at least of one person who might owe allegiance to Ryan, and might want to avenge him.

Darling.

The question is, does she know anything beyond the story of the Sheriff's disappearance? Could she be complicit in this, as well? Only one way to find out; James typed a message to Darling on his phone, and sent it to her.

James here. What did your fellow Clan members tell you about the Sheriff's disappearance? Call me back when you have the time.

That done, James stowed his cell, another thought coming to him. What does he know about the Wipers' hierarchy? Who do they report to, and take orders from? Are they an autonomous group, or is everything they do at the behest of the Prince Himself?

Acanous
2014-05-28, 12:32 AM
Make a Wits+Etiquette. Then an Int+Investigation. You know some things about the Wipers, let's see what they are.

This revelation is a pretty shocking one. It means the Wipers know, too. Actually, you have to wonder who DOESN'T know.

Ascaloth
2014-05-28, 12:59 AM
Wits + Etiquette: [roll0]

Intelligence + Investigation: [roll1]

If the Wipers knew about this, it heavily implied that the Prince was in the know, too. And, if that was so, he was covering it up all this time.

James frowned, considering the implications. If this was the case, his own loyalties to the Prince might demand that he re-examine his priorities...

Acanous
2014-05-28, 01:09 AM
You're pretty sure the Wipers wipe anything, for anyone, and that the Prince is a frequent, perhaps even favored customer. Due to the nature of their work, sharing wiped information with anyone would invalidate the service and probably put them in jeopardy.

Apparently, Glitch had the info on Ryan, though, so you don't really know what went on, there...

Ascaloth
2014-05-28, 01:21 AM
So that was what Glitch meant, when she said they'll all be in deep trouble should he leak this footage. And yet, she was willing - if reluctantly so - to risk that much when he simply asked. Note to self; the least he could do was not let Glitch down there, and make a point of stowing this incriminating evidence somewhere secure.

Very well then. This was getting deep into dangerous territory, and James knew that digging any deeper into the matter of the Sheriff's disappearance would entail far too much risk to himself to be worth it. Best to shelve this matter for now... at least until he felt he was ready. Then, with any luck, he just might be able to ask Ryan personally.

Right. What's left of his work-night?

Acanous
2014-05-28, 07:22 PM
Basic work, the office is still doing background work on the University bombing and the missing family from a few months ago, but the Uni bombing is more to help prevent incidents in the future, and the family is practically a cold case, now.

You could leave, but without an objective, it'd draw unnecessary attention and make it harder to skip out when you DO need to duck out.

Ascaloth
2014-05-28, 07:35 PM
Well, in that case, now James will work on buying future favours by helping others with their work now.

Acanous
2014-05-28, 07:48 PM
You spend the rest of the night working to relieve other people's case loads. It's a gesture much appreciated, but leaves more than a few of the staff scratching their heads. You've always been a little distant. This causes a reevaluation, which is probably a good thing.

At the end of the night, you get a text from Janet.

Things are heating up a little, I might need to lay low for a while. Ideas?

Ascaloth
2014-05-28, 08:04 PM
It felt like he had been frowning quite a lot, lately. James supposed that was just how recent days had been.

Let your second do all the management of the girls, and keep to our home for now? I am not sure what you mean by 'things heating up', so I don't know what kind of 'laying low' you need. Anything you can tell me?

Right then. He can go home now, right? Maybe it's better to continue this conversation with Janet in person.

Acanous
2014-05-28, 08:20 PM
You can, in fact.
When you get home, Janet's actually already there- with two of her girls. Aisha and Sandy. Janet seems obviously shaken up.
"James! You're back. Hell, I was starting to get worried. Sorry for this, but I didn't know what else to do. Things have been getting...weird."

Ascaloth
2014-05-28, 08:24 PM
"Yes, so you mentioned earlier in the night. Calm down, babe. Have a seat, and tell me everything about what happened to spook you so."

James said, taking Janet gently by her shoulders and coaxing her unto the sofa, sparing but a quick nod to the girls.

"In the meantime, can I fix you a drink? How about you, ladies?"

Acanous
2014-05-28, 08:33 PM
"Something hard. Please.
Last night, I got made by a Vampire. Plus the other Garou are out gunning for me. I'm running out of places to hide, James. I can't run things if I keep being picked out by supernatural ****. I can probably take any one bloodsucker in the city, but they never come one at a time."

The other two take advantage of your hospitality, nodding assent when you ask if they want drinks. They keep quiet and let Janet vent, however.

Ascaloth
2014-05-28, 08:57 PM
OOC: I don't actually know what 'got made' is supposed to mean...

Acanous
2014-05-28, 09:00 PM
OOC: She was identified as a Werewolf by a Vampire. That's probably a bad thing. Unless you kill the offending vampire before they can tell someone, that is.

Ascaloth
2014-05-28, 10:41 PM
Oooookay. Yeah, that is Not Good.

"Alright. I do believe your second is ready to handle things by now. Give me her number, and I'll see about managing your girls for you. Or arranging something else, we'll see how it goes."

James said, passing Janet a shot of Black Label, and a couple more to the other girls as well. One of the few remaining things that marked his previous life as a Kine, even though it had been ages since he last tasted it...

"Now then. From the top again please, Janet. Who is this bloodsucker, and what happened? Any names you can give me, what does this vampire look like? I'll handle it, whoever he or she is."

"If you need a place to hide, you can hide out here for now. We'll see what to do next, if necessary. Speaking of which, I assume there's a reason Aisha and Sandy are here?"

Acanous
2014-05-29, 11:11 PM
"Big guy. Looked like mid thirties. Muscly. Had a beard. Haven't seen him around before.
Don't really know what else I could say. Anything else I can do to help?"
She pens you a number and puts it on the table. Her hands are shaking a little.

Ascaloth
2014-05-29, 11:44 PM
Now wasn't that interesting. This may well be the other newcomer Glitch had mentioned before, and if that was the case... well, it was always in James' plans to check him out, sooner or later. This simply pushed its priority to near, if not the top of his list.

Glancing at the number Janet had written out for him, James turned back to her and clasped her hands in his, doing what he can to sooth her fears.

"Hush now, babe. Take it easy, and let's take this one at a time. First things first. When and where did he show up, and how did he find you out? Was there anything he said to you in particular? Do you think you can find him, if you tried?"

"Most likely I was going to need to deal with him, anyway. So, this just means I will handle it now, just for you, babe. Midnight tomorrow, if you can find him, I will join you and settle this once and for all."

Acanous
2014-05-30, 12:11 AM
"Usual haunts, up by Memorial. Can't remember exactly what was said. I don't know if I can find him for sure, whole city stinks, but I can try."
Your two other houseguests are now more relaxed, and enjoying their beverages.

Ascaloth
2014-05-30, 01:01 AM
"Okay then. I don't want you going out there unnecessarily, Janet. So, have the girls stake out that spot, and use their cells to send you quick snaps of anyone who fits that description. When we find the guy, they'll try to keep him there while we head on down to intercept him. That sound like a plan to you?"

Actually, on second thought. Judging from the schedule he lifted earlier tonight, would Vice be patrolling that area?

"Next. You said the other wolves are gunning for you. How did you know? What did they do to you?"

Acanous
2014-05-31, 01:51 AM
On the first, yes. Vice does patrol that area intermittently, and you'd remember they're running a sweep tomorrow.

"I talked to the one. There's no way he didn't smell the taint on me. That's the only warning I get, James. It'll be a pack hunting me down in no time. I can hide in the city no problem, but not from them AND your kind. Not both at the same time. I'll need to hide somewhere safer, until at least one group stops looking."

Ascaloth
2014-05-31, 07:34 AM
"...on second thought, let's not send the girls there. Nearly forgot the vice squad's prowling that place tomorrow night. Let's do that another time, and think of something else in the meanwhile. Maybe I'll come across the fellow on Saturday, and I can deal with him then. Keep your cell by your side, I might need you to show to take him down on short notice."

James mused, largely to himself even as he was talking to Janet.

"Either way, you're not exactly a secret to the head leech himself, so there's only so much trouble that could possibly result from this.

"And the way you have been talking about the pack hunting you down. I assume you don't think right here would be a good place for you to lay low for long?"

He continued, gears turning in his head. Well yes, he was wondering why Janet did not mention the possibility of the other wolves smelling his 'taint' on her earlier, so this was a much-needed confirmation. Now, what if he were to put himself out there somehow as bait for the wolf pack, make them show themselves in the light so they could be ambushed? But with Ryan gone, whom within the Kindred of Calgary would have the strength to stand up to them?

Or, hold on... could he somehow lead those hostile wolves to the doorsteps of Primogen Rebecca, of Clan Toreador? It would most likely force the Harpies into a desperate defense of their benefactor, and with any luck, he just might eliminate two of his problems by pitting them against each other...

Acanous
2014-06-02, 11:17 PM
"Nowhere's good for long, but hopefully they have other things to worry about. It's not like I'm an abomination, so we'll see. Still, I am on the **** list. Bout as bad as a Spiral Dancer, I'd think.

I'll keep the girls to the safe zones for now... but James, if they start attacking them to get to me, or you, that's a problem."

Apparently, Janet cares about her job, and the people under her.
"I've always got the cell on. Don't hesitate to call. If you see something weird, it's probably what you think it is."

Also, you get a text.

dont take this the wrong way james but im not going to be one of your regular contacts. word gets out im helping out the scourge no one will talk to me, and theyll boot me as keeper. i can let the gangrel know youre curious if you want though. oh and awhile back you had mentioned the harpies. now that i might be able to help a bit more since i found out some pretty important information that i think youd find useful. for a favor though of course.

Ascaloth
2014-06-03, 12:27 AM
Even in the midst of the troubles they were pondering over, James still found a moment to marvel at how well Janet had been settling into the role he had provided for her. Not that he would ever truly understand what it is like to actually care for another, but it did seem like he had inadvertently led Janet into finding her life's calling. Quite interesting, really.

Well. Back to business. What are Spiral Dancers or abominations, anyhow?

OOC: I know what they are, but it's just RPing for James.

"Right. So for now, you need some hidey holes to lay low in for the time being, and hope you're not their first priority. Damn it, if only I had heard earlier. That storage unit would work, but I already promised it to the butt-ugly hobo. The one you met at the gas station, you know..."

Common Sense Check - does James know any other spots which would be good for hiding out? What if he told her to hang out at Cowboy's, and let any wolves pursuing her end up conflicting with the Hunters? Or maybe the Roadhouse - a wolfpack tracking her there would precipitate a bloodbath that cannot be traced back to himself, would serve as the warning alarm to the Prince, and might turn the Harpies into collateral and fulfilling his mission there, while at it. Might even help Janet get off the hook too, if she can pass off her taint as 'I spent too much time hunting leeches teehee, sorry!'

"Well, let's take this one thing at a time. Keep your head down for the next couple of days, and we'll see what we need to do next. I remember you saying you wouldn't want to help me sabotage your people the last time, does that still hold? Should I find a way to resolve the issue of them for you? Or would you rather handle it yourself, and have me focus on the leech side of the issue?"

"Also, the last thing. Aisha and Sandy are here with us, because...?"

EDIT: James looked at the text he got from Darling. Interesting response, not least for the mutually contradicting content of both halves of her message. Most relevant though, was her offer to let the Gangrel know he was asking around. This most likely meant that she was either clueless, or the lesser possibility was that she was in on it, and this was meant to be a trap for him, if not for the fact he had already fallen into it.

Either way, she was useless where the Sheriff was concerned... but not so much, when it comes to the Harpies. He worked on the return text to Darling.

Interesting. In one breath, you insist that you will not risk your position as the Keeper to help me in my work. In the very next, you offer to do just that. Which is the lie, I wonder?

Assuming the fib lies in your first statement, very well. A favour for what you know about the Harpies, it is.

Common Sense Check - when did James ever mention the Harpies to Darling? Can't recall offhand at the moment.

Acanous
2014-06-03, 01:02 AM
Common sense before all others:
Hunters hunt Wolves, too. You might not want to get yet another faction after your pet.

Spots she could hide are probably taken by Nosferatu. That said, you know one Nosferatu that you have an...equitable relationship with, who probably isn't using his old hiding place, and you know where to find him.
(Just off the cuff, this is Common Sense, not word of God. If you actually went out looking, you might find a place.)

You could use Janet to lure wolves to the Harpies. That is entirely possible. She may be caught and killed, however.

Finally- You're not sure you ever mentioned the Harpies to Darling. Eidetic memory is the merit you're looking for, here.

"Black Spiral Dancers are... Well, crazy. They do things. No honor, no camraderie. They're as apt to turn on a wolf as a leech. Abominations are what happens when someone makes a Leech out of a Garou."

She shakes her head.
"I'm in the wrong here. I *Am* corrupted. I don't want to die, but my people mean a lot to me. Please don't. I'll...try to do something. If you make me the center of this... Things could get worse."

"The other girls are with me because they were out working in the area. I didn't want them captured and interrogated."

Ascaloth
2014-06-03, 01:32 AM
Oh, I remember now. James asked Darling for Amanda's phone number way back when, and although he did not get what he needed, it was also Darling who told him about Amanda being in the Toreador kill squad, and not even being Toreador.

Thing is, James never asked for either of these tidbits. Neither did he ask for the tidbit Darling is offering now, again concerning the Harpies. Sure, she's asking a favour for it, but why does Darling keep offering him information on a particular subject she has no apparent reason to think he would be interested in?

Something is up, isn't it?

Wits + Empathy: [roll0]

"Alright, babe. I'll let you handle the matter of your people, for now. You just stay put and keep your head down here for a while, alright? Nothing to worry about, my love."

James consoled Janet, making a show of cradling her head and putting his nose in her hair. He then turned to the two girls Janet brought with her.

"Same goes for both of you ladies, of course. You're welcome to stay for a while here, in case trouble comes calling. Either of you having any cravings for candy, by any chance?"

Just so happened to be good timing that Janet brought them here, James could use a drink. If they're agreeable, James would take 2 BP each from them via syringe, explaining that he needs to do 'blood tests' and feed them 1 BP each of his own vitae in turn. Take another 2 BP of Garou vitae from Janet as well, if he can pass it off the same way; she's already had her fix earlier in the night.

Acanous
2014-06-03, 11:37 PM
Something is up. Looks like Darling might have her own agenda. Maybe a Toreador spat in her face about something or other.

Your working girls seem well enthused when you offer a fix. Janet is more than willing, as well. Net gain: 4bp.

"Sure. I'll keep my head down, stay here a couple days and then move. Things won't run themselves when I'm gone, though. You'll need to look after the girls."

Ascaloth
2014-06-04, 12:55 AM
If it was simply a grudge Darling was holding against the Toreador in general, it still wouldn't make sense. The tidbits she would have shared with him would be skeletons in the Poseurs' closet in general were that the case, but thrice now her tips involved the Harpies specifically.

It must be the Harpies in particular that Darling most likely has a grudge against. And that, implies several things;

1) Darling knows something about the Harpies that he does not.
2) Darling is slipping him tidbits about the Harpies on her own initiative, most likely to provoke him into Scourging them and probably carrying out her grudge for her.
3) Least likely, but the worst case scenario; Darling may know something about James' standing orders regarding the Harpies. And if that is the case, taking the Prince's specifications into account... he might have to interrogate her somehow, to find out how much she actually knows. And probably, silence her before she lets something leak.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

But for now, his priorities lie somewhere else. First though, he'll send the reply text to Darling again.

Interesting. In one breath, you insist that you will not risk your position as the Keeper to help me in my work. In the very next, you offer to do just that. Which is the lie, I wonder?

Assuming the fib is in your first statement, very well. A favor for what you know about the Harpies, it is.

If it turns out he has to silence Darling, owing her a favor would not cost him anything in the end anyway.

Now, as for Janet.

"No problem, babe. I'll handle the girls in the meantime. Anything in particular I should know about the job?"

Note to self; Janet apparently didn't get around to training a 'second' capable of taking over for her in just such a scenario as they were facing right now. This meant he would probably have to do it himself. Perhaps Mia would be a good candidate?

Acanous
2014-06-04, 11:22 PM
Mia wouldn't be a terrible choice. As long as someone's in charge, the addiction ensures a functioning system. For the most part.

"Well, the girls get a john, text you. We've got a deal worked out with a girl at the Hyatt. She'll make sure there's an open room, takes a hundred right off the top. Gets us an hour. No questions, the girls know the drill. Just don't be shocked when they go in there. You watch 'em on the way in and check back in an hour. Take plate numbers when you can- don't assume someone looks safe. The hotel will text you with the room number. If you get another from the girl, means they got trouble and need you up there pronto. Anything else you need to know?"

Ascaloth
2014-06-05, 12:19 AM
Oookay. And how is he going to be able to take time off his night job to be on standby for Janet's girls? Nuts. He might be able to cover for her over the weekend, but James is increasingly feeling the necessity of getting some additional muscle on his side, with Janet compromised. And it was an idle thought he had initially toyed with, even though he wasn't considering it seriously up until now... but the option of kidnapping and bonding Liz as his catspaw was becoming more attractive as an option. Bait for the Harpies aside, he could use the Toreador as a temporary stand-in for Janet. And it's not like the most incompetent Poseur he had ever come across in his entire unlife could **** that up... right?

Or, maybe he should get Caveman in on the gig, instead. James had experienced firsthand the Sewer Rat making himself unseen previously, so perhaps he could handle the 'enforcer' role instead. And, given what he is, Caveman might be better suited to glean useful information from the girls' nightly rounds, too...

So much to consider.

Okay, I'm completely stuck here. Common Sense Check for any other options available to James, with regards to handling Janet's girls.

"Not much more, I suppose. Maybe perhaps how you handle the troublemakers that show up, just so I don't mess things up by doing something else. Alright babe, I think you'd better get some rest, it's been a long day for you. You too, ladies."

The night should be almost over, by this point. Should Janet and the other girls crash for the day, James will try to order an actual working crossbow, along with wooden bolts as his ammunition to be delivered to his home address, before retiring for the day.

Acanous
2014-06-05, 12:42 AM
"No big. half of it is just letting them know someone's watching and willing to bust a kneecap. Or call the cops. If something DOES happen to one of the girls, make an example of the john."
She says that last part so cold it burns.
You get a text back, and don't have to wait long on it.

im a complicated girl. consider this me buying you off bothering me next time on top of you owing me one. anyways amanda and joy came into calgary with two others with them and got shelter from the toreador on the run from something. hasnt come out what though. the other two are keeping a very low profile while the harpies are in plain sight. classic bait for whatever drove them to seek rebeccas help. likely they have a stalker from out of town and theyre expecting it.

Common sense tells you that you're dealing with a prostitution ring on the side while being a forensic scientist and also a vampire. You might want to delegate. Or petition the prince to let you sire a childe.

Ascaloth
2014-06-05, 01:05 AM
Make an example of any troublemakers? Sure, that could be done.

"Got it. Right, go tuck in for the night, babe. We'll take care of things eventually, you'll see. In the meantime, go see to our two guests here, get them some cots to sleep on as well."

James said, affectionately ruffling Janet's hair, before letting her go to get on with her task. Picking up his cell again to read Darling's latest message, he frowned. Well, a reply text first.

I see. Thank you.

That done, he pondered the implications. Nuts... so the Harpies are expecting an attack, that makes things so much harder. They'd probably be blindsided if the attack came from the Scourge, of course, but still... he'll have to mention this to Caveman, work out an alternative strategy with him tomorrow night.

So many things to take care of, but the night is almost over. If there's nothing else, James would place the online order for his crossbow and wooden bolts, then go to sleep for the day.

Acanous
2014-06-05, 11:19 PM
Lose one BP, gain one WP, gain 4 XP.
Your sleep is troubled. All this shady backstabbing going on around the city, and you're not sure exactly who is behind what. It would help to know when you are being used, and by whom.

When you wake, it's nearly 10 PM. Decision time.
Will you call in sick for work in order to play the pimp, or let your side operation slide a little and play the good cop?

Ascaloth
2014-06-06, 07:54 AM
5 EXP spent on second dot of Necromancy: The Sepulchre Path (Summon Soul)

Surely, they would not begrudge him a sick day, especially after he was so helpful in clearing their massive workload just the night before? James would call in sick tonight; it's not just Janet's girls that needs taking care of, there were some other things he needed to handle before the end of the night as well. He's going to need all the time he can get for the next few nights; for that matter, perhaps it's about time he looks into a source of income which would give him better hours. Perhaps he should consider quitting his job, and setting up his own P.I. business?

Firstly, where's Janet and her two girls?

Secondly, he did put in that online order for his crossbow and wooden bolts, right? Or, given a free night tonight, could he just acquire one himself at a sports shop somewhere?

Thirdly, he should call the number Janet gave him. Let's see who her 'bottom bitch' is, and what she's made of.

Finally... James rubbed his own eyes, somehow feeling the strain of intensive study during the flood. Amazing how the phantom foibles of his mortal days still haunt him every now and then, when they really should not given who he is.

Speaking of haunting and his studies, James was beginning to feel that if there was ever any night where his crash course in the occult would begin to bear fruit, this just might be the night. Maybe, maybe... he could attempt it for the first time? Perhaps?

He looked around his apartment, wracking his head for any item in his possession that Sheriff Ryan might once have touched. Perhaps the Carl Gustav?

Acanous
2014-06-16, 11:40 PM
Janet is incognito. You have her cell number, but maybe she should be using a burner. Hard to tell what kind of tools the people after her might have available.

Your order did go through. Actually that would have come in during the timeskip. You've got them in your weapons locker. Thing only came with 20 bolts as opposed to the more modern 60, but they're wooden instead of hard plastic.

You call the number she left you. It picks up on the third ring.
"Yo, who's this?"
Seems she doesn't recognize your number, but you know the voice from delivering your checkups.

Ryan may have touched the Charlie G, but it's more likely he touched the packing label. You know he had an old Harley he kept fixing up. If you could find that, it'd be a guarantee.

Ascaloth
2014-06-17, 12:16 AM
Yeah, the Harley was something James had definitely thought of. The question is, how he would get his hands on it.

Hold on. How about the backpack the Sheriff passed him on their first meeting? The same one containing the bottle of 'wine' he was to subsequently feed to Darling? Does he still have that?

Well, whether or not that's the case, first things first.

"This is the Doctor. I'll be taking over for Janet for the time being, until she recovers from her illness. For now, here's some instructions..."

First, James would give Janet's second the instructions to keep the girls away from Vice's patrol schedules tonight. What was her name anyway?

"...and, that's about it. Give me an update on the girls, now."

Acanous
2014-06-17, 12:53 AM
Her name's Chelsey.
You have the thought, and browse around before finding it in your trunk. It's still there, under a couple of packages and files.

"Three of the girls are out walking, two are making deliveries and I have four staffing in the hotel. That's what's on the roster. Anything else?"

Ascaloth
2014-06-17, 01:38 AM
Right. Might be worth trying what he had in mind using the backpack, later.

"Alright. Good work Chelsey, keep it up. I'll come over in a while, so hold the fort until then."

Right. Now to see if he can contact Janet. Maybe advise her to switch to a burner, in the meantime. For that matter, maybe he should tell her to stick to burners exclusively in the future, even after the crisis has passed.

"Janet, James here. Where are you right now?"

Acanous
2014-06-17, 11:36 PM
"I'm on third ave. I think I'm OK, haven't seen anyone I don't want to be seeing. What's up?"

Ascaloth
2014-06-18, 12:30 AM
"First things first, switch to burners. Drop me a message each time you change, so I'll still know to contact you regardless."

Best get those precautions out of the way, as soon as possible.

"Take care, babe. If things get too dangerous, get back to me. We'll figure out our next step from there."

If Janet had nothing else to tell him, he would call in sick, and then make the preparations to meet up with Chelsy, wherever she is at the moment.

Acanous
2014-06-18, 12:50 AM
Work is very amicable about you calling in sick, since you pretty much never do it.

Chelsey is at the train station outside of the Hyatt. When you get there, she's having a cigarette on one of the benches in clear violation of the no smoking bylaw. If she cares, she's not showing it.

She lights up as she sees you, and flags you down.
"Hey doc, welcome to the field. What's bringing you all the way out here?"

Ascaloth
2014-06-18, 02:40 AM
"Pretty sure I mentioned it earlier, but I'm covering for Janet tonight. Poor girl's a little under the weather."

James replied amicably in kind, taking a seat next to her. He put his fedora down lower so that it'll obscure more of his face; about the best he could do, dressing like a chav just so he doesn't look like the upstanding citizen which is his usual persona.

"So, entertain me. Tell me some stories of what Janet usually does."

Acanous
2014-06-19, 12:28 AM
"Usually she's doin' this. I mean, what I'm doing. I cover when she's feelin' down, but I haven't done it by myself, yet. Girl's got a heck of a temper sometimes, but she keeps us all safe. 'S nice to have a night where I won't wake up sore and exhausted. We've not been working together very long, y'know? I mean. She's good and all, but I'm waiting for the shoe to drop.
This might be it, yeah?"

Ascaloth
2014-06-19, 09:48 AM
Interesting. Time to revise what he thought he knew about Janet's little operation; so she did appoint Chelsy as her second, and Chelsy has at least a little experience doing what Janet does. And probably the only reason why Janet hasn't entrusted everything to her just yet, is probably because she's only been doing this for a short while. Not long enough as yet, that Janet entirely trusts Chelsy to handle it alone.

Still, there must be a reason Janet chose her, of all the girls. The thing is, what would that be? Hmmm, perhaps she just might have the qualities that would make her a good choice for his Childer...

"Well, let's hope not, shall we?"

James said, making himself comfortable. Might be time to settle in for a good, long talk.

"Anyway. I understand Janet usually steps in when a john makes trouble, yes? Tell me about those times, if you may."

Acanous
2014-06-19, 11:11 PM
"There haven't been many. Once a guy wanted to get a little rough with Simone. Janet goes in and breaks his arm. He doesn't come back, says it was a motorbike accident or something. Guys don't wanna admit getting beat up by a girl, and they don't wanna admit paying one of us girls. So they keep quiet.

Most of the time it's a bit of shyness when it comes to paying. They think they can haggle once they've sampled the goods. Then it's just a talking to, usually. If they try to dash, she brings 'em back. No idea how she does it, girl's a beast."

A train rolls by, people shuffle on and off.

"Weird she got you to cover. What's goin' on that's got her spooked?"

Ascaloth
2014-06-19, 11:35 PM
"Ha. You have no idea, Chelsy."

Yeah, it's certain by this point. Chelsy knows more than either Janet or himself was letting on, probably through her own intuition. James shrugged, trying to look at if he wasn't making a big deal of it.

"Just a bunch of people from her past blew into town this week, and she wasn't exactly... enthusiastic, about seeing them again. Don't worry too much about it, just know that whatever she's doing, laying low and all, she's doing it for all your sakes. So you don't get dragged into it, you know. Girl really cares about you ladies, I'd say that much."

Well, seems like an easy enough job for Janet. The question is, whether he himself could do just as well. Or rather, maybe this is the time to put Chelsy to the test, see if she could handle it. If so, that would be one load off his mind.

"You know what. How about you handle the next problem that comes up? See how you do without Janet or I around."

Acanous
2014-06-20, 12:33 AM
"huh. Alright. Where you gonna be then? Or you mean like tomorrow."
Elysium IS tomorrow, that could be more helpful. Or you could leave her now, find another use of your time.

Ascaloth
2014-06-20, 05:33 AM
He would quite like to leave Chelsy be now and go about his own way, actually... but no. He did promise Janet, so he'll see it through at least for tonight. Let's leave that tomorrow, he'd at least want to sound Janet out about this before following through with it, not to mention maybe finding some muscle for Chelsy to stand in for himself.

Still, why not put Chelsy to the test now?

"Oh, I'm sticking around. Still, anything comes up tonight, you're first up to bat. I'll stick around as backup, but I mainly want to see how you'd handle it."

Acanous
2014-06-21, 12:51 AM
"Well, alright. Prepare to be disenfranchised with the entire race."
She lights up a cancer stick, takes a drag, offers you one.
"It's pretty quiet now, but give it half an hour."

Doesn't take too long for the first couple of girls to report back. Chelsy takes a wad of bills from each, writes some things down on a notepad, and shoos them off to another corner. They advertise for a while, in the cold, before a prospect works up the courage to approach.

"See, that there? That's an easy one. Or he's a serial killer. Chance you take. But he'll pay up front, then pretend he didn't. Probably won't last five minutes. Betcha a hit of that juice you got against my take tonight that she's back in less than ten."

Ascaloth
2014-06-21, 10:37 PM
"I'll have to take some of your blood for further testing either way, Chelsy. Make sure the juice isn't messing you up. But sure, it's a deal."

And that, is how you turn a bet into a win-win situation. With that, James sat back and waited for Chelsy to handle the situation, intending to see just how she did it. Note to self; find an excuse to draw up a syringe of his own vitae, just in case he had to pay up on his bet.

Acanous
2014-06-24, 11:08 PM
here's some random rolls.
[roll0]
[roll1]

To Chelsy's surprise, the couple disappears for a while. She actually fishes out her cell phone, and heads over to the hotel with a worried look before the two are spotted coming back out from the lobby.

"Well. ****. Guess that wasn't easy money, after all."

Ascaloth
2014-06-24, 11:28 PM
Well. That's worrisome. James nodded in the direction of the two girls.

"Well, go ahead then. Ask them what happened."

Acanous
2014-06-24, 11:53 PM
She waits for the john to leave before approaching the other girl.
"Hey, what took so long?"

"What? Guy just went for a while. Did he go over half an hour?"

"No, but damn, I thought he wouldn't last ten minutes. Where's the take?"

"Somebody's greedy tonight, jeez."

The streetwalker fishes out a small roll of bills, and Chelsy takes them, counts them, and notes it down on a small notepad.

"Good job then, not good enough to win me a bet, but eh. Get cleaned up."

The second girl shakes her head in annoyance and walks off.

Ascaloth
2014-06-25, 12:06 AM
At least there's no harm done. In which case, he's not going to pursue it. Plenty of things to worry himself about, as it is.

James didn't even bother to get up off his seat or even so much as say anything, instead sitting there and looking at Chelsy expectantly.

Acanous
2014-06-25, 12:24 AM
"What, you want a 20 now? I don't calculate takes 'til at least 3 AM, when the girls are done for the night. I don't welch on a bet."
[roll0]
She returns your gaze unflinchingly. Now would be a great time for you, if you had the Dominate discipline and she wasn't already an ally.

Ascaloth
2014-06-25, 12:27 AM
To that, James simply smiled. Not even a grim or sarcastic smile either; just one of amusement and smugness.

"No, don't worry about it. I don't care about the twenty that much, I probably won't even remember it if you do welsh me. I simply wanted to see how you'd do, which reminds me. What's your take on all that?"

Acanous
2014-06-25, 12:43 AM
"My cut is 10%, Janet gets half, the girl gets 30, and 10% goes into that girl's 'expense account'. It's there for things like clothes, checkups, medicine when we need it- both the kind you give out and the regular pharmaceuticals, and it gets cashed out when we leave."

She ticks off the percentages on her hands. "That's the whole scoop. So tonight, I'm not making as much, but I might not have to work for it at all, you know?
Normal days, that last 10% gets put in the tip jar. That's for emergencies."

Ascaloth
2014-06-25, 01:24 AM
Not that he'd actually have any idea what the 'market rate' would be like, but it seemed fair enough to James on first glance. Might even be possible that Janet's taking a bigger cut of the girls' takings than most of the other pimps out there, but perhaps these ladies were sticking with her precisely because she's one of them. The mutual addiction to the 'juice' probably didn't hurt as well.

"Alright. I suppose that means I'll be taking Janet's cut on her behalf. Now, what do you make of what just happened back there? Passing strange, isn't it?"

Acanous
2014-06-25, 11:49 PM
"It's a little odd, but really nothing to write home about. We had this couple once, wanted to hire three of the girls for the night! Heh. They didn't last half an hour, but hey, free time for the girls and no extra work. Like a night off, in a hotel with your co-workers. Why, you notice something off?"

Ascaloth
2014-06-26, 12:33 AM
"If you really have to choose, it's generally better to overthink things than to underthink them. Better to be paranoid, than to be blindsided at the worst possible moment."

James replied, shrugging. Maybe he'll stick around until midnight at least, see if something else happens to the girls until then.

"That said, if the girls aren't hurt, then no harm done I suppose. What's next on the agenda?"

Acanous
2014-06-26, 12:44 AM
[roll0]
"Basically more of the same. It's cold and boring, and all you gotta do is watch the girls and the Johns, keep the books updated, all that jazz. You'll lose some sanity, but there's no hounds of tindalos coming for me just yet."

Observing business for the next few hours, it's booming. Your girls are either busy with a client, getting cleaned up, or passing in cash. No problems by midnight.

Ascaloth
2014-06-26, 01:03 AM
"Alright. Seems like you've gotten things more or less in hand."

James said when the clock struck twelve, standing up and stretching.

"I'll be heading off for a bit, got other things to take care of. I'll be in the area though, and you have my number, so call me if anything happens, alright?"

He'd head back to his apartment for a bit. Time to see if he could summon Ryan back from the dead.

Acanous
2014-06-26, 11:38 PM
You get back to your apartment. Give me perception+Alertness, and paranoia applies.

Ascaloth
2014-06-27, 12:18 AM
(OOC: Paranoia?)

Perception + Alertness: [roll0]

Acanous
2014-06-27, 12:28 AM
You notice there seems to be a few people leaving the building. A small gaggle of three kind of vaped women walk down the street from the front entrance, a guy in a business suit that seems to be out of it, getting into an old beater truck, a guy wearing almost nothing waiting for a cab.

Seems a bit strange.

Ascaloth
2014-06-27, 12:36 AM
Okay. The women were par for the course... but the presence of the businessmen, given what he had recently found out about Umbra's connections with the wolves, raised James' hackles. The nearly-naked man didn't help his nerves, either... something is up.

Let's see what this was all about. Deciding not to drive into his apartment's parkade, James instead decided to try and shadow the businessman in the old beater trunk, without leaving his car.

Dexterity + Drive: [roll0]

Acanous
2014-06-27, 12:47 AM
You tail the beater as it drives away from the apartment. It makes a few turns, meanders around downtown a little, then heads West, towards the reserve.

Ascaloth
2014-06-27, 12:54 AM
The reserve? Was that not where Janet said she had come from? And if this guy was from there... chances are high he's connected to the wolves, and they've tracked Janet down to his apartment.

Nuts. But first, he would commit the beater's license number to memory, for later investigation.

Come to think of it, would it be possible for him to attempt to freeze the businessman with his necromantic powers, and cause him to crash his truck?

Acanous
2014-06-27, 11:24 PM
You could try it, though common sense tells you he's not doing the driving.

Ascaloth
2014-06-27, 11:58 PM
Could he see the driver through the beater's rear window?

Acanous
2014-06-28, 12:05 AM
not well. Looks like a girl, but the back window is rather dirty, like the rest of the truck.

Ascaloth
2014-06-28, 12:14 AM
There's two of them against his lonesome, which aren't good odds. Common sense dictates that he should turn back now, and leave this matter to next time, when he has access to resources that would help him figure out the identity of the owner of this truck.

Still, perhaps he does have the element of surprise on his side. And even if he can't see the driver well, all he needed was to be able to see her...

Spend 1 WP to activate Rigor Mortis on Driver of Beater Truck
Intelligence + Medicine: [roll0]

Acanous
2014-06-28, 12:47 AM
well, you already did your thing with Common sense, so I'll just assume you know this is probably not the best idea.

You focus on the target, and pull on your power of the Grave. The driver seizes up, and the truck continues in a straight line, picking up a bit of speed.
The occupant notices pretty quickly, apparently they were in the middle of some conversation when your trick hit.

You watch as the guy starts bulking up in the passenger seat. Looks like he's expecting a crash, and he's not human.

Ascaloth
2014-06-28, 12:56 AM
Yeah. That's all the confirmation he needed.

James lightly applied the brakes, slowing down to let the beater go ahead, and looking for a side road to turn into. The wolf might have noticed, but he shouldn't know who did it, and no point cluing him in by pursuing the matter any further.

When he's turned off into a side road, James will dial Janet's number again. Hopefully she'll pick up...

Acanous
2014-06-28, 01:15 AM
You peel away from the truck, but notice the thing in the passenger seat is looking about as it transforms, sniffing at the air and tearing at his clothes. The truck is about 130m away from you now. The Driver seems to still be paralyzed.

Ascaloth
2014-06-28, 01:50 AM
You know what they say is the better part of valor. James will GTFO right out of there, and try calling Janet again as he drives back to his apartment.

Acanous
2014-06-30, 11:20 PM
I need to roll a die, and we'll find out who gets the worst of this.
[roll0]
I've got good and bad news. The Good news is the werewolves staking out your apartment haven't managed to track Janet down yet. The bad news is, well, make a Drive check. You're being followed.
(Dex+Drive)

Ascaloth
2014-07-01, 06:53 AM
Because of course he would be followed. Barely capable of mustering a sigh at his continuous run of poor luck in recent days, James simply gunned his engine.

Dexterity + Drive: [roll0]

Acanous
2014-07-02, 11:33 PM
Wow. Well, you DO throw off the trackers. Your luck may not SEEM good, but trust me on this one, when it counts, it pulls you through.

You notice the *Leaping* *Transformed* werewolves at the last second, and manage to jink the car sideways, down a narrow alleyway. They pursue you for a bit, while their friend in the truck manages to get decently far away. While you drive like a manic stunt man, you see the pair of lupines get further and further behind you, accounting for sudden turns, underground tunnels, and parkades. When you're finally sure you've lost them, you give Janet that call.

"James! Are you OK? I was followed home, but I think I lost them..."

Ascaloth
2014-07-03, 11:09 AM
"I'm fine, babe. For now. But they've found our place, I saw one of them staking it out. Followed them, and they damned near caught me doing so."

James said, thinking about as fast as he was driving. Time to start putting all the contingencies into play.

"Time to bail outta there, we'll both hole up in the warehouse for a bit, I'm thinking. Think you can manage heading back to our place for a bit, pack up all the important stuff real quick? I'll meet you there, maybe I'll ditch the car in the parkade, then we'll head over and set up camp in the safe spot."

Acanous
2014-07-03, 11:25 PM
"Sure. I'll head that way, anything important you want me to grab? I'm not exactly a forklift."
Where are you heading? The room you just gave to Caveman?

Ascaloth
2014-07-04, 07:06 AM
"Bank books, check books, my laptop, and the title deeds to the apartment if you can find it, should be in my drawer. That stone you might have seen me doing weird dances around, the last few nights. I should have left a backpack on the bed, use that to bring the stuff." Can't forget Ryan's pack, of course.

He already told the Nosferatu he'd drop in every now and then, and he never did mention how long he would stay each time, never mind who else would be coming with him. Of course he's heading there.

Acanous
2014-07-07, 11:07 PM
"Sure thing. See you soon."
The phone clicks, and you're already moving towards your hidey hole. Too bad about the timing, if this had only happened a few days ago...

When you're satisfied you aren't being followed, you pull in to the storage compound. There's no evidence outside that anyone's been in, but when you open the roll gate you can see a few items of clothing, scattered papers, and a laptop. Caveman is not in evidence.

Ascaloth
2014-07-08, 08:07 AM
"Caveman? You there?"

James called out idly, glancing around to see if the Nosferatu shows up. Even as he looked around, his mind was ceaselessly churning through options, figuring out his next move. His apartment, the place he called home for so long, has finally been compromised; he can't go back to it, ever. He'd probably have to figure out a way to sell it without tipping his hand, maybe his car too. Is there someone he could trust to handle the paperwork for him? Maybe somebody in the police department would know someone.

Also, Janet and he cannot stay here forever; he'd have to find some other place where they could hide out. A mobile home, maybe? Might be an idea to get Janet a plane ticket, fly her out of here until things settle down a bit.

Okay, I got nothing. Common Sense check; what might be the best options for James, going forward?

Even as his mental gears churned, James' mind suddenly lighted on a detail he had forgotten about, until now. A few days ago... hadn't Caveman called Amanda and Joy the 'Lasombra bitches'? He also mentioned 'some other guy' those two talked to 'now and again', and who is apparently 'real important to them but never shows up anywhere'.

Not that he had any idea how Caveman knew that detail, or why he had chosen to let it slip then. However, the next piece of juicy information was none other than Darling's. Specifically, that the Harpies were fleeing something with two other people, and had sought shelter with the Poseurs to that end. She also mentioned that the Harpies had a 'stalker from out of town', and that the two of them were acting as bait for said stalker, while the other two 'are keeping a very low profile'. Darling's exact words.

Now, apart from the 'some other guy', James would not have any idea of the identities of either the fourth of their lot, or their stalker, for that matter. At least, not until now.

After all, had not another Kindred identified herself to him as 'Lasombra, of Montano's legacy' not so long ago? And if the fourth really was keeping a low profile... why would she announce her Clan (not the most trusted of the Camarilla at best) to himself so openly when he asked?

The lawyer from the Merchant Law. Eneida. 50/50 chance she was the last of the Harpies' group... or, she is the stalker. The question is, which?

Acanous
2014-07-09, 01:27 AM
Well, your logic certainly holds up.
Come to think on it, who better to transfer property anonymously than a lawyer? You might need a realtor for the apartment, but you could contact a lawyer to do that for you. Expensive, but then the trail would lead back to them before you.

Given that you aren't exactly besties with Darling, it probably wouldn't hurt to do some ground work figuring out Eneida's standpoint- so long as you don't go announcing a side or stake in the matter.
Worst case scenario, it's less dangerous than hanging out downtown with the werewolves.

Ascaloth
2014-07-09, 08:34 AM
It was certainly something he had considered, at least for one moment. However, even as his hand was halfway to his cell, he promptly had second thoughts.

First off, if the Harpies' group were indeed Lasombra, why were they seeking shelter with the Camarilla Toreador? Hailing from the definitive Clan of the Sabbat, there was only one possible reason they chose to defect to the Camarilla; they were antitribu, traitors to the Sabbat for some reason or other, and the Camarilla was the only sanctuary they must have had available to them.

And if that is the case, then what of the stalker? The overwhelming likelihood was that he or she was of the Sabbat, sent to extract the traitors' due. And this Eneida, if she is not the fourth of the Harpies' group, is the most likely candidate for the identity of the stalker, by virtue of also being Lasombra. It is possible that the lawyer was simply an antitribu who was simply in the wrong place at the wrong time, and had nothing to do with the schemes revolving around the Harpies... but whether that was probable, that's a whole different matter.

In this world, there was no such thing as chance coincidences.

Well, being that was assumed to be the case. If Eneida was the fourth member of the Harpies' group, then she was someone who would be destined to become an enemy of his, due to his standing orders to eliminate her compatriots. Was she really someone he would want to trust with handling the sale of his property, in that case?

Or, worse still, she is the stalker. And thus, most probably the link to the Sabbat he had been searching for all this time. By placing his property in her hands, would that not be tantamount to him dealing with the enemy? A bad, bad idea, if he ever thought of one...

...unless. Unless, if doing so would lead the trail to the lawyer before impacting himself... is there some way he could do that, and then contrive a way to put the wolves threatening the city on that very trail, somehow? If he could somehow manage to pull that off, he stood a good chance of eliminating one of the two major troubles plaguing him right now. The question is, how?

"Caveman?"

James called out again, looking around for the Nosferatu even as his gears churned. If he could just find the butt-ugly, the latter might just be able to clarify some of his deductions.

Acanous
2014-07-10, 11:31 PM
You call out a second time, and he still appears not to be here. He's probably out somewhere- though given the time of night, he'll be back.

Your logic is solid, but leading the wolves to the wrong person might haunt your conscience. Or maybe it won't and you'll just be happy they aren't after YOU anymore.

Anything you want to do before the Nosferatu comes home?

Ascaloth
2014-07-10, 11:56 PM
Yeah, because he gives a damn about anyone other than himself. Now that's a hoot.

James will wait for Janet to arrive; the most important thing right now is to have a good, long talk with her,.figure out just what they're in for with the wolves. Can't plan until he at least has an idea, after all.

(Ooc: Am i seriously behind everyone else? Thinking we need a weekend streak of posts just so i can keep pace if so.)

Acanous
2014-07-11, 12:31 AM
(Somehow I missed your update last night, which is odd because I THOUGHT I did it first. So yes, you're a bit behind. Most people slept/went to the next day, though Entaris and one other kind of laid out their actions for the next day as well >.> You're not that far behind anyone else, Darling's about half-way through tomorrow night, and actually everyone else is on par with, or behind you.)

[roll0] just seeing who gets there first.

You hear a hacking cough as the door is opened from the outside, and you recognize the slumped, wheelchair bound profile of your Nosferatu contact. He seems momentarilly surprised to see you.

"What's this, a housewarming party?"

Ascaloth
2014-07-11, 07:17 AM
"Of a sort. Told you I'll be dropping by from time to time, Caveman. This here just happens to be one of these times."

James said casually, deciding not to mention that Janet was arriving shortly as well. Might as well not spoil the surprise, at least not until he's gotten what he wanted out of the Sewer Rat.

"So, anyway. How's the recruiting of muscle going on your end?"

Acanous
2014-07-12, 12:19 AM
"I've barely had time to move in my things. That said, I've got maybe two people. How many you need?"
you spot headlights briefly illuminate the darkness outside. Probably Janet, but who knows.

Ascaloth
2014-07-12, 12:32 AM
Where would Janet find a car to drive with? James tensed just a little, feeling the need to be ready to bolt at any moment. Given the events of the last couple of days, he had grown even more paranoid than usual.

"How many do you think you need, to take those two down?"

He threw the question back at Caveman, gauging the Nosferatu's reaction. Now's the time to test how much the Sewer Rat actually knows, at least with regards to the Harpies.

"On that topic, I'm somewhat curious, Caveman. How did you know they were Lasombra? Where'd you hear that from?"

Acanous
2014-08-04, 11:21 PM
"Depends, I guess. Get 'em alone, you could probably off 'em. One at a time like, it ain't no thing. With my two? Probably can get one. If they ever split up. With you? Maybe take a pair."
Give me perc+Alert.
"The Lasombra thing is an open secret. You get that one for being friendly, and because I hate Lasombra as much as the next rat."
He wheels his way over to the small pile of clothing. "This is all pretty damn fast. Guess this sorta thing has to be, if you don't want people to find out. When's the hit?"

Ascaloth
2014-08-05, 10:32 AM
Perception + Alertness: [roll0]

"As soon as you can manage, but not before you're ready to go. I've got other things to worry about, so I'd like to get this wrapped up as soon as we can."

James replied, scanning his surroundings. Did he hear something...?

"But there's a thing or two I think you should know about. First, have you any idea who the other two Lasombra are? I know where one of them is bunking... but I can't say for sure whether she's part of the group."

He continued, watching Caveman for his response. Would he bite?

"How much is that worth to you?"

Acanous
2014-08-05, 11:42 PM
"Alright. So go as soon as we can."
You do hear something. A few somethings, from outside. Like two or three people walking around. They sound heavy.

"I don't know where the others are. Well, maybe. One's a guy, I remember that. There's some **** going down in the artsy fartsy tower. Might be them.
If you can get me where they sleep, that'll help."

Ascaloth
2014-08-06, 12:27 AM
Ha, wow. Never had a chance, did I?

Alarmed, James turned towards the sound, tensing.

"Trouble, Caveman. Hide. Can you hide me too?"

He hissed as softly as he could, glancing at his car. If this was it, at least he won't go to his fate without gun in hand. Or the Charlie G, whatever.