PDA

View Full Version : how do shadowcasters work

clockwork warrior
2007-02-15, 10:42 PM
i just got the tomb of magic, and began reading about the shadowcasters, and i am really confused

can someone please explain this to me a little better than the book? i think i get it, but i dont know...

Fax Celestis
2007-02-15, 10:44 PM
What exactly is confusing oyu?

Dhavaer
2007-02-16, 01:13 AM
Shadowcasters have mysteries. Mysteries come in three levels: Apprentice, Initiate and Master. The highest level of mysteries are cast as arcane spells, with somatic components, once a day. The second level are cast as spell-like abilities, twice a day. The third level are cast as supernatural abilities, three times a day.

That's the basics, though it does get more complex.

EvilElitest
2007-02-18, 09:09 PM
One thing you should know about Tome of Magic, if you find simple wizards complicated enough, don't use it. It is really complicated if you don't like that stuff. That being said, if you do like that sort of game, then it is great.
From,
EE

Everyman
2007-02-18, 11:53 PM
In addition to Dhavaer's notes, mysteries are chosen like spells. They are divided into paths (sets of three mysteries) and you can't learn "higher level" mysteries of one path until you already know the lower level ones. However, you have no obligation to master just one (or any) path.

You also get bonus feats, based on how many paths you know (not how many mysteries or how much of a path you know)

Khantalas
2007-02-19, 05:53 AM
And the numbers are per mystery per day. Not the total number of mysteries you can cast from that level.

Of course, Dhavaer is even more insane with that, making them per mystery per encounter.

Besides, Shadowcasters and Binders are very simple compared to Wizards. And it is not that easy to break them, because every new supplement does not give them new, overpowered material.

Dhavaer
2007-02-19, 06:07 AM
Of course, Dhavaer is even more insane with that, making them per mystery per encounter.

*Gibbers madly*

I still need to work out how to deal with non-combat mysteries. Probably make them per hour or something.

lared
2007-02-19, 06:58 AM
Glib answer: They don't. It takes a lot of optimization for Shadowcasters to hit even the middle of the power curve.