PDA

View Full Version : Healer, revamped.

Xilehxt
2007-02-15, 11:13 PM
I was looking at the healer from the Miniature's handbook. Quite underpowered, since a regular party will go through all the spells and will have to end up using wands anyway, which normal clerics can do.

So I'm proposing a bit of a difference to the healer.
1) All spellcasting ability is based off Charisma.
2) The healer casts spells like the warmage, where all the spells in her spell list is her known spells, and she can cast whichever one she sees fit spontaneously.

So how is it? Too powerful? I find that this way they can truly be best at what the class does; healing.

Fax Celestis
2007-02-15, 11:36 PM
Nah, sounds fine to me.

Legoman
2007-02-16, 02:08 AM
I had a homebrew class for one of my campaigns, we gave them increases to their die sizes on cure spells. From 1d8 to 2d6, etc. With your chances, plus that, I still think it'd be fine. I mean, it's a freaking healer how broken can you get?

Szatany
2007-02-16, 05:33 AM
I don't remember their saves, but perhaps giving them all good saves and 1d8 HD as well?

Xilehxt
2007-02-16, 06:10 AM
Wow, I guess people think they suck alot...and here I was worried about violent retaliations saying that it would break the game...they already have d8 HD and good saves as fortitude and will. I really don't see them having good reflexes. How's giving them turn undead sound?

So fixed three things about the healer:
1)Bonus Spells and Saves both determined by Charisma.
2)Turn Undead as a cleric of the healer's level.
3)Cast spells as a warmage: Spontaneously cast all spells on her spell list.

Having one of these in the party will make them practically invincible...of course, by themselves, they can't do much...but that's what supportive casters are.

Any other balancing notions? Too powerful? Still too weak?

Szatany
2007-02-16, 06:20 AM
Wow, I guess people think they suck alot...and here I was worried about violent retaliations saying that it would break the game...they already have d8 HD and good saves as fortitude and will. I really don't see them having good reflexes. How's giving them turn undead sound?

No need to make them as similar to clerics as possible. How about Fast Healing that heals them as long as they have less than half hit points? FS 1 at 5th level, 2 at 10th, 3 at 15th, and so on?
In addition, how about an aura that auto stabilizes all dying allies within 20 ft.?

Xilehxt
2007-02-16, 06:28 AM
Well, since they deal with positive energy anyway, I thought the turn undead would be only adding a bit more.

As to the stabilizing all allies in a certain range, they have a spell for that. The fast healing...now that's overkill...i think you're referring back to the dragon shaman aura, but this healer is fine the way it is....I might find it even a bit too powerful. It's essentially having everyone fight twice or even triple the amount they could usually fight without healing. Plus, with revivify at 5th level, and close wounds at 3rd, practically no one would die. And everything is optimized so that high charisma ties into everything, spells, spell effectiveness, and turning. I think it's fine the way it is.

Szatany
2007-02-16, 06:55 AM
Ok, so you don't want anything in healing department. Where does the class lack then? My guess is offensive capabilities?

martyboy74
2007-02-16, 09:16 AM
The unicorn. It sucks. Why the hell would you give someone at unicorn at that level? It's utterly pointless! Anyone at even 13th level will just teleport around, and the unicorn will get mauled in battle. Replace it.

Khantalas
2007-02-16, 09:21 AM
But the unicorn is the symbol of healing and life. I mean, its horn casts cure wounds on its own.

Bears With Lasers
2007-02-16, 09:37 AM
So have the healer grow a unicorn form, or turn into a unicorn, or something.

Khantalas
2007-02-16, 09:39 AM
Bah! Heresy! You can't fight the power of fluff!

We have feelings!

Xilehxt
2007-02-16, 12:20 PM
No, the healer shouldn't have offensive abilities, it should the purely supportive, and the way the class is fixed right now, I think it's a great supportive class.

With turn undead, now they can apply for the Radiant Servant of Pelor prestige class and up their healing potential even more...and lots of other thing..