PDA

View Full Version : Music Tastes?

Cobra_Ikari
2007-02-16, 12:06 AM
...what kind of music do you really like? Is there any music you just can't stand?

EDIT: Apparently, already done in another section. Cough. My bad. I think I need a javamancer.

Zephra
2007-02-16, 10:35 AM
really like folk songs and clasicle, can't stand most everything else

Lord Sidereal
2007-02-16, 12:34 PM
Punk & Ska

And Metal

Omniplex
2007-02-16, 01:31 PM
Love country, hate rap, can barely tolerate metal.

EmeraldRose
2007-02-16, 01:57 PM
...what kind of music do you really like? Is there any music you just can't stand?

EDIT: Apparently, already done in another section. Cough. My bad. I think I need a javamancer.
No worries, Mod-magic will come along and move the thread over in a little while! :smallwink:

Reaperx90
2007-02-16, 04:44 PM
I'm a rare breed in that I like instrumental music such as Yanni, Nicholas Gunn, and a small outfit called Wine Tasting Music.

Why is this rare, you ask? I'm a 21 y/o male gamer. Maybe I simply don't travel in the right circles, but I only know one other person who has even slightly similar tastes to me, and he's my cousin :smallsmile:

Sewer_Bandito
2007-02-16, 06:36 PM
Ska

HOORAY FOR SKA!!!

And I also can't forget to mention 90's alt rock. :smallcool:

Dr._Weird
2007-02-16, 06:50 PM
I like metal, though not the sucky stuff where the "singer" sounds like they are expelling their vital organs onto the microphone. Good stuff like Marilyn Manson (No I don't agree with his views, his music just sounds good), Rammstein, Rob Zombie, etc.

I also like a few old pop bands (The Beatles and Eiffel 65 come to mind)

Rock is good also (Oomph! might qualify here, I'm not sure).

I also like Apocalyptica. Say what you will about them, but I like 'em.

Piedmon_Sama
2007-02-16, 07:15 PM
I love metal (particularly from what I think they call the 'golden age' with Metallica, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, and to a lesser extent Guns 'n Roses. AC/DC is technically not metal but I lump them into this category too against their stated wishes. =p) While I'm all into old school, I'm not totally dead to what's going on right now.... my favorite current Metal Band is DragonForce.

I've always loved rock that has the heavy country/blues influence (which if funny because I utterly despise the "Nashville" pop country you hear on the radio) meaning artists like Bob Dylan, Chris Isaak, the Dave Matthews Band etc. (Johnny Cash is hard to put down because he isn't rock, but he's nothing like that twangy crap out of Nashville, but I <3 him anyway.)

On the flipside of what I've previously stated (and tend to think of as the more "macho" side of my musical taste) I love the often-absurd synthesized sounds of New Wave. The usual list of One Hit Wonders (Soft Cell, A Flock of Seagulls) and some guys who were more consistent (Duran Duran, Peter Gabriel.... I want to say Talking Heads, but they really predated New Wave and were more like its predacessor. Sometimes they were more rock than synth and vice versa.)

And of course there's the classics.... Pink Floyd, Rolling Stones, Beatles. Do I even need to list those guys? I have a shameless and unsecret love of gloriously cheesy 80's "Glam Rock." Journey, Boston, Foreigner---oh man, they would get so gloriously over the top you just had to love it. That's the best stuff to lift weights or work out to.

Lastly, I've recently gotten into hip hop from the old school--before this crunk crap came in and practically strangled the genre, if you want my opinion. J-5, Public Enemy, NWA.... where the beats are harder, crisper and you can hear the scratch on the records? I love that stuff.

So overall I guess I'd describe my tastes as diverse. And in case I gave anyone the wrong idea, I don't know much about music, just what I like. I may have scrambled some terminology in this post, my knowledge coming almost entirely from a few minutes' worth of browsing on Wikipedia....

Dr._Weird
2007-02-16, 07:54 PM
Is there anybody who doesn't like Journey? I don't think those people exist.

Piedmon_Sama
2007-02-16, 08:05 PM
My Dad for starters.

Yes, I know, the shame is like a ball and chain around my neck. =(

Shadow of the Sun
2007-02-16, 08:39 PM
Seems like I have a massive difference of opinion with some people in this thread. For example- I do not think Marylin Manson even resembles good, I barely consider Rammstein metal and I despise DragonForce. Give me my doom metal, GOOD power metal (Sonata Arctica and Blind Guardian are in this category) Melodeath and my smidgens of black metal. Also my neo-folk. Bands like Agalloch are excellent metal, as are Isis, Pelican, Candlemass, and a bit out of place, Mastodon. Listen to them! Hold them close to your heart!

Khantalas
2007-02-16, 08:44 PM
Marilyn Manson is good? Did I miss something?

Bah, I like metal, but what I most often listen to is slow songs. My current tops are I Believe and Light in Your Eyes by Blessid Union of Souls.

When You Go by Jonathan Coulton is cool, too. So is Far Away by Nickelback (that, and Rockstar are the only songs of Nickelback I could like).

Cobra_Ikari
2007-02-16, 09:06 PM

Hmm...my theory was that Pink Floyd was among the unhateable bands as well. Could be solved with a poll?

Ted_Stryker
2007-02-16, 09:50 PM
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1781719&postcount=163

I have to admit I'm not much of a Journey fan. I'm fairly indifferent toward them, maybe with a touch of antipathy/dislike.

Artemician
2007-02-19, 07:39 AM
I'm more the "Music is best if there are not words" type. That said, it doesn't mean i dislike music with vocals, but I like them more for the tune than the lyrics.

I hate Rap. I detest Rock. I don't like anything that repeats itself too much (a lot of classical music comes to mind here).

talsine
2007-02-19, 10:08 AM
I listen to a lot of industrial (Apop, :wumpscut:, Combichrist, etc) as well as some black/death metal, including Cradle of Filth (saw their show saturday, ****ing awesome, as was 3 Inches of Blood,l gonna be listening to more of their stuff soon) Boltthrower, Enslaved, Mortiis , Emporer, some other stuff.

And Neil Diamond. I can't explain it, and i try not to think about it, but i really, really like the way his voice sounds. It haunts my soul.

I dislike Journey, but its as much over exposer as anything else

Nevrmore
2007-02-19, 11:24 PM
Luff: Classic Rock and Classic Metal

Hayt: Everything else.

Nightmarenny
2007-02-20, 12:45 AM
Just about any Rock and alittle of anything that came from it. I don't have much but I like some classical, Country, and Jazz

Don Julio Anejo
2007-02-20, 03:25 AM
I recently realized I like Trance... never thought it was my thing really... (considering half my stuff is Linkin' Park, Rammstein, and some Russian stuff similar to System of a Down).

InaVegt
2007-02-20, 05:18 AM
Never heard of them, honestly

Jack Squat
2007-02-20, 08:57 AM
I like just about anything, but I can't stand mainstream pop or rap; well I can't stand most rap anyways. I also dislike most country, although one of my favorite bands (Firefall) has heavy country influences.

Gez, Jouney is a 70s-80s rock band from California. Well, they were on tour last summer, but still, they're not as big as they were. I'd post a couple videos but my school blocked youtube.

Piedmon_Sama
2007-02-20, 03:19 PM
Marilyn Manson is good? Did I miss something?

Bah, I like metal, but what I most often listen to is slow songs. My current tops are I Believe and Light in Your Eyes by Blessid Union of Souls.

When You Go by Jonathan Coulton is cool, too. So is Far Away by Nickelback (that, and Rockstar are the only songs of Nickelback I could like).

Oh, a friend of mine said the funniest thing about Nickelback the other day.

"What were they thinking on Nickelback? Hey... let's take Nirvana, only, make it for menopausal housewives! Genius, right?"

Ceska
2007-02-20, 03:25 PM
As if you really wished to know, anyway, anything from rock to metal I guess. Currently playing Metal Wrath - Amon Amarth, but I listen to most styles in phases, one time only metal, one time only prog etc.

Jorkens
2007-02-20, 08:05 PM
I guess I've got pathalogically eclectic tastes - there aren't many genres where I can't find a few bands or a particular subgenre that I like.

At the moment, I mostly listening to classical, folk, drum and bass, minimal techno, indie, old reggae and dub, weirdy beardy electronic stuff, 50's / 60's jazz, sludgecore, dubstep, obvious 60's and 70's rock, alternative / backpacker hip hop and two tone. I spend quite a lot of my time listening to music...

Ravyn
2007-02-20, 08:46 PM
First priority: instrumental. Particularly stuff involving exotic woodwinds or a vibraphone. Secondary: Vocal w/strong melody. Parts beyond the Big Four (voice, guitar, bass, drums) a must--I'll even put up with true metal if they've got a couple unlikely instruments and a good melody. Should have good continuity as well. Can be in foreign languages, but doesn't have to be--I'll learn to sing it either way. I'm a strong-scale Moody Blues fan, with an interest in a smattering of other Groups My Parents Liked, and I've recently started branching out in recent vocal music.

And I live for gamelan.

Jorkens
2007-02-20, 09:15 PM
I don't like anything that repeats itself too much (a lot of classical music comes to mind here).
Really? I've always found (most) classical music to be among the least repetitive out there. I mean, if you don't get what's going on it just sounds like a bunch of strings and crap doing stuff for no reason, but that's kind of true of any genre.

Vaynor
2007-02-21, 02:02 AM
I like early rock and pop (60-80s, i.e. The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, and Talking Heads. I also like some Ska music (such as some of 7 Seconds of Love), and enjoy comedic music such as Jonathan Coulton and Monty Python (if that qualifies as music :smalltongue:

Hazkali
2007-02-21, 05:58 PM
My tastes are ecclectic, although at the moment the three genres I like most are
Folk- Fairport Convention, Steeleye Span, Seth Lakeman etc
Classical- Film Soundtracks, Einaudi, Vaughan Williams etc
Cheese- you know the ones, YMCA, B*Witched, Spice Girls...

When it comes to Metal and Dance, I have to quote Buffy on this one:

GILES: I know music. Music has notes. This is noise.
BUFFY: I'm aerobicising! I must have a beat!
GILES: Wonderful. You work on your muscle tone while my brain dribbles out of my ears.

Cobra_Ikari
2007-02-21, 08:01 PM
If you think metal lacks notes, you are sadly mistaken. In fact, metal has some of the most beautiful melodies and harmonies you'll hear anywhere. It's a very broad category, so don't dismiss it all because of one facet.