PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Undercover Pixie posing as human

SalterisSolaris
2014-05-22, 05:04 AM
For a while now, I had this idea of rolling an "undercover pixie" spellcaster. The central notion would be that she is your typical 2.5ft pixie, but somehow comes with a constant projected illusionary/magical "shell" identical to a normal-sized human. Kind of like a hard-light hologram with a secret pixie inside. Now, I wonder what would be the most simple and elegant way to make that one work... the goal would be to have a setup that make her (mostly) indiscernible from a normal human adventurer, so that it won't be too quickly uncovered by the other PCs.

I guess the Pixie "1/d permanent image" racial is a good start. Mind, I will have to convince my DM that in the special case of the body, she does not need constant concentration to move it (if she wants to do anything else, that is). But that would then already cover visual, auditory, olfactory, and thermal elements.

Still, I wonder how to replicate the "touch" aspect. Without that, she would be provoking a dozen disbelief rolls from the rest of the party long before they even left the first tavern. (Lifting a mug, moving the chair, opening a door...)

Now, I can hardly be the first to have that idea, yet searching wasn't too fruitful...
Any elegant suggestions? (3.5 non-PF, starting level presumably around 6)

JeminiZero
2014-05-22, 07:55 AM
Now, I can hardly be the first to have that idea, yet searching wasn't too fruitful...
Any elegant suggestions? (3.5 non-PF, starting level presumably around 6)
The idea itself (of playing something disguised as something else) isn't new, but the method you are trying to use (illusion) certainly is. Most of the time, it is much easier to take care of by using a simple maxed out disguise check, (possibly with help from shapeshifting magic). For example, splashing 1 level in Egoist lets you swap your level 1 bonus feat for Change Shape (https://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20070314a), letting you disguise as a changeling.

Of course, there are limits to what Disguise can do in terms of height, so instead of disguising as a human, you could, say, use it to disguise as a gnome or halfling (or maybe dwarf). And you have to find someway of hiding your wings (since they are a physical part of you, you could arguably use Egoist Change Shape to disguise their texture, making them look like some strange leather cloak or something).

Yorrin
2014-05-22, 08:10 AM
Well, as a caster I'm thinking that an Unseen Servant spell might be able to cover some of your "touch" based needs. Perhaps a collar of perpetual attendance, or whatever it's called, to not waste spell slots on it. Roleplay as your "human" having a ridiculously low Str score. Perhaps have Telekinesis at the ready for heavier lifting, though that can eat through spell slots fast, and a Ring of TK is expensive.

Another thought would be to have some sort of human looking creature fully under your control and you hide out in its hat or whatever. Not quite the illusionary shell, but solves various logistical problems. Not sure off the top of my head the best way to get said thrall, but I'm sure the playground can think of something if you'd prefer that route.

CombatOwl
2014-05-22, 09:35 AM
Hat of disguise + max ranks in disguise. This would work better as a halfling or gnome.

Rebel7284
2014-05-22, 09:50 AM
The best way to do this would probably be Alter Self + Persistent Spell.

John Longarrow
2014-05-22, 10:39 AM
2nd level spell at 3rd level caster on a magic item should run around 12,000.
Limit to ONE pre-determined form (Nereid). Talk to the DM to see if you can get a discount on the price.

As a 6th level character this should be just within your price range.

HammeredWharf
2014-05-22, 12:02 PM
The best way to do this would probably be Alter Self + Persistent Spell.

This, but you'll also need a Hat of Disguise or another means of altering your appearance. Alter Self can only turn her into another fey, like a nymph. Polymorph can turn her into a normal human, but it comes in play later on.

ShurikVch
2014-05-22, 12:44 PM
Human hireling + Magic Jar

Prime32
2014-05-22, 01:17 PM
Another thought would be to have some sort of human looking creature fully under your control and you hide out in its hat or whatever.Pixies are Small size. It would have to be a pretty big hat. :smalltongue: What about hiding out inside a suit of animated armour?

Still, I wonder how to replicate the "touch" aspect. Without that, she would be provoking a dozen disbelief rolls from the rest of the party long before they even left the first tavern. (Lifting a mug, moving the chair, opening a door...)Have a familiar that does everything for you, so people think you're just lazy?

icefractal
2014-05-22, 03:54 PM
Take Leadership (or just hire someone) and have your bodyguard/servant do all heavy physical tasks for you (Collar of Perpetual Attendance takes care of the light stuff)? Claim that you're some kind of nobility or mystical order who's forbidden to physically labor?

bekeleven
2014-05-22, 04:02 PM
Hat of disguise + max ranks in disguise. This would work better as a halfling or gnome.

As I've mentioned in the dysfunctioanl rules thread, there's disguise penalties for every difference between you and your target except size category.

John Longarrow
2014-05-23, 07:12 AM
SalterisSolaris,

You COULD always take a page from the book from one of my NPCs is using. She's a pixie necromancer that animated a gaints skeleton and put a duplex in it.
Course to make ends meet she did rent out the right half to a nice monkey couple (one awakened, the other a reincarnate. Nice couple, but they don't have guests over often).

Go with a petal and use a smaller size skeleton. You sit in the head and "Drive". Toss a hat of disguise on top to make it look like its still got the skin on. Dress it up, make it pretty!

weckar
2014-05-23, 07:19 AM
The Glamer subschool runs on this stuff.

Bronk
2014-05-23, 08:51 AM
Well, starting at level six only gives a pixie room for one class level, what with the +4 LA. That doesn't leave room for many magical options.

I think your best bet would be to go the hireling route, then cover up his mouth ninja-style and let him do all your heavy lifting. Meanwhile, take advantage of your greater invisibility power to ride on his/her back or fly nearby and do all the talking.

At higher levels, you could become a druid, then take the level 7 fangshield substitution level to be able to wildshape into humanoid form (pixies are fey, which are often human looking but not humanoid). Then, use disguise to cover up any non human traits that sneak through.

John Longarrow
2014-05-23, 09:01 AM
Well, starting at level six only gives a pixie room for one class level, what with the +4 LA. That doesn't leave room for many magical options.

1 HD creatures trade out their racial HD for a class level. This lets a pixie skip the lackluster HD of Fey for something much more useful.

ericgrau
2014-05-23, 09:42 AM
Alter self into one of the fey that looks like a human so you're solid and it takes a true seeing to overcome the disguise. Only takes 3 levels of wizard or 4 of sorcerer.

I suppose you could rely on permanent image in the meantime until allowed, and for when you don't need to touch things since the alter self will initially only be good for 30 minutes.

In combat I'd use your greater invisibility and flight to bomb spells from safety. If you encourage your party to take to the sky and/or hide then you can focus on ranged foes. Levitate can help with party members that don't have their own means. It has a decent range.

Bronk
2014-05-23, 11:08 AM
1 HD creatures trade out their racial HD for a class level. This lets a pixie skip the lackluster HD of Fey for something much more useful.

Good point! Two levels still aren't much though...

bekeleven
2014-05-23, 03:27 PM
Permanent image affects an area in space and can't really be moved. Unless you're bedridden and/or only travel a couple dozen feet per day, not a great solution.

Angelalex242
2014-05-23, 06:47 PM
Alter self into a nymph sounds fair. Unless people go blind, they'll just think you're a really hot chick. Nothing wrong with that.

ericgrau
2014-05-23, 08:19 PM
You don't get the supernatural abilities so a nymph works out well.

Curmudgeon
2014-05-23, 09:17 PM
Alter Self can only turn her into another fey, like a nymph.

Alter self into a nymph sounds fair.

Size/Type: Medium Fey
Hit Dice: 6d6+6 (27 hp)

You assume the form of a creature of the same type as your normal form. The new form must be within one size category of your normal size. The maximum HD of an assumed form is equal to your caster level, to a maximum of 5 HD at 5th level.
Maybe something like a Nymph, but you'll need to keep looking for an actual form that's within the limits of Alter Self.

Jack_Simth
2014-05-23, 09:33 PM
6th would be tricky. Hmm...

Let's see... Complete ... was it Arcane or Mage? Oh well... has Precocious Apprentice, which will give you a 2nd level spell slot with only a single level into a caster class. Alter Self, of course, as it'll get you medium (for just 20 minutes initially, but eh). This does not suppress your assorted racials. Disguise Self can get whatever form you grabbed to look fully human. Most the time, you just concentrate on your Permanent Image. Keep an Unseen Servant running as well (directing it is redirecting a spell, so that's a Move action) for most things.

Eventually, Complete Adventurer gives you Extraordinary Concentration, which lets you concentrate on a spell as a move (or later, free) action... and as per the definition of spell-like abilities, they act like spells except where otherwise specified, so it should work.

Angelalex242
2014-05-23, 09:33 PM
Dryad then. 4d6 HP.

The Viscount
2014-05-23, 09:37 PM
As I've mentioned in the dysfunctioanl rules thread, there's disguise penalties for every difference between you and your target except size category.

While this is true the penalty is virtually enforced by the dcs for epic disguise, which only let you add 50% to your height. Disguise self gives you the absolute limit of 1 foot (which has its own problems).

Angelalex242
2014-05-23, 09:57 PM
Size isn't that big of a problem. Pixie disguising as human must simply disguise as a small enough child to be their own size.

Curmudgeon
2014-05-23, 10:57 PM
Size isn't that big of a problem. Pixie disguising as human must simply disguise as a small enough child to be their own size.
Actually that is a problem. Disguise has penalties based on age categories, but children don't have any age categories: they're off the scale.

Angelalex242
2014-05-23, 11:15 PM
I don't see why. Much more common would be a Halfling trying disguise themselves as a human child.

Bronk
2014-05-28, 09:30 AM
Maybe that's the answer then... have the pixie use the disguise skill or the 'disguise self' spell to masquerade as a halfling since it's the right size. If necessary, just hid your wings under a cloak, or wear a partially opened enveloping pit on your back under your clothes.