PDA

View Full Version : Adapting Monsters from DnD to d20 Modern

damieus
2007-02-16, 05:42 AM
Anyone know where I can find rules for doing this? Specifically I'm wondering about challenge ratings. A 14th level hero in a d20 modern campaign has little to no magical items, and certainly less magical power than a hero in a DnD campaign, so it seems that a CR 14 encounter might be considerably harder for a party of d20 modern characters than it would be for DnD characters. If anyone knows where I can find rules or guidelines for this sort of thing, I would be most appreciative.

That Lanky Bugger
2007-02-16, 11:01 AM
I've never come across hard and fast rules for this, unfortunately. Thinking about it now, it might be a fun for later.

A few basic things to remember, conversion-wise...

Characters in d20 Modern only has a Massive Damage Threshold equal to their Constitution score, not 50. That means that damage can usually be scaled back a bit. A Dragon with a spell dealing 15d6 damage, for example, is a little excessive. Pretty much every character hit by that is going to fail their Massive Damage roll. Spells meant to deal "a lot" of damage (anything over an average of about 30) should be cut in half, DR should be reduced a bit, and spell-like or Special Attacks should be likewise scaled down.

One thing to remember, however, is that D&D monsters likewise now suffer from the Constitution = Massive Damage Threshold limitation. Even a Great Wyrm Gold Dragon only has a Constitution of 33, and the Tarrasque only has a Constitution of 35. Even a Level 1 Character with a big truck driving into either will probably take them down pretty hard, DR or no... and firearms likewise give players a much needed edge.

Really, just remember that your PCs are really fragile and you should probably think twice before taking them out with something pretty large.

Fax Celestis
2007-02-16, 11:51 AM
*gasp* it all makes sense now! Godzilla is the Tarrasque!

Neek
2007-02-16, 12:57 PM
Gargantuams from 2nd edition WERE Godzilla (they even had stats for Mothra! <3). I thought Tarrasque was a monster created by a four-year old who was given a pencil and the DM said, "Make something that won't die and'll kill the party."

Fax Celestis
2007-02-16, 01:00 PM
Gargantuams from 2nd edition WERE Godzilla (they even had stats for Mothra! <3). I thought Tarrasque was a monster created by a four-year old who was given a pencil and the DM said, "Make something that won't die and'll kill the party."

Tarrasque was actually a Spanish myth.

Closet_Skeleton
2007-02-17, 01:08 PM
Tarrasque was actually a Spanish myth.

I'm pretty sure it's Slavic or something. At least the name is. The Tarrasque myth I know is a dragons that got tamed by a Saint and then killed by some peasants. There might be a Spanish myth about a Tarrasque that can regenerate that I don't know about.