PDA

View Full Version : Mystic Theurge assistance?

Shadowscale
2014-05-22, 12:54 PM
Could someone help me come up with a good build and level progression for a mystic theurge using divine bard and dread necromancer? I'd very much so appreciate it.

Rebel7284
2014-05-22, 01:03 PM
Why those classes specifically?

You would probably be much better off with something like Savage Bard 5/Ur Priest 2/Mystic Theurge 8

Alternatively Savage Bard 5/Ur Priest 2/Mystic Theurge 3/Sublime Chord 2/Mystic Theurge 7

Forrestfire
2014-05-22, 01:16 PM
Is the DM open to letting you use early-entry tricks? If so, you could go Bard 2/Dread Necromancer 1/Mystic Theurge 10/other stuff 7 by using Versatile Spellcaster on the Dread Necromancer side and possibly Talfirian Song on the bard side.

Arc_knight25
2014-05-22, 01:16 PM
Seems an odd combination, What are your ultimate plans with your build?

Shadowscale
2014-05-22, 01:18 PM
Why those classes specifically?

You would probably be much better off with something like Savage Bard 5/Ur Priest 2/Mystic Theurge 8

Alternatively Savage Bard 5/Ur Priest 2/Mystic Theurge 3/Sublime Chord 2/Mystic Theurge 7

Was trying to build an effective bard with both arcane and divine spells who specialized in undead. I like the second suggestion though. Are the classes I had in mind not compatible? High Charisma/Wisdom?

Is the DM open to letting you use early-entry tricks? If so, you could go Bard 2/Dread Necromancer 1/Mystic Theurge 10/other stuff 7 by using Versatile Spellcaster on the Dread Necromancer side and possibly Talfirian Song on the bard side.
Does that even work with the bard feat?

Seems an odd combination, What are your ultimate plans with your build?
Bard who specializes in undead manipulation and has lots of arcane/divine spells?

Inevitability
2014-05-22, 01:31 PM
If you want to enter quickly (3rd or 4th level), use this trick:

0. Be a human, or take one flaw.

1. Take a level in Dread Necromancer. Take Percocious apprentice. You can now cast 2nd level arcane spells. Take Southern Magican.

2. Take a level in Divine Bard. Southern Magican now enables you to cast 2nd level divine spells.

3. Take a level in either of them. Boost your knowledge skills to 6 ranks.

4. Take a level in Mystic Theurge.

If you are up for extreme gouda, meet a bard who can inspire greatness, let him give you +2 bonus HD, use these to gain a higher skill cap, let a psion psychic reform you, and put these shuffled around points in knowledge (arcana) and knowledge (religion). Now you can enter at 3rd level. The prizes they charge shouldn't be an issue, since there are ways to break WBL at first level. (Scrolls of wall of salt are a part of it)

Shadowscale
2014-05-22, 01:35 PM
If you want to enter quickly (3rd or 4th level), use this trick:

0. Be a human, or take one flaw.

1. Take a level in Dread Necromancer. Take Percocious apprentice. You can now cast 2nd level arcane spells. Take Southern Magican.

2. Take a level in Divine Bard. Southern Magican now enables you to cast 2nd level divine spells.

3. Take a level in either of them. Boost your knowledge skills to 6 ranks.

4. Take a level in Mystic Theurge.

If you are up for extreme gouda, meet a bard who can inspire greatness, let him give you +2 bonus HD, use these to gain a higher skill cap, let a psion psychic reform you, and put these shuffled around points in knowledge (arcana) and knowledge (religion). Now you can enter at 3rd level. The prizes they charge shouldn't be an issue, since there are ways to break WBL at first level. (Scrolls of wall of salt are a part of it)
I like this idea, not the extra cheese version because of how complicated it'd be though...

Any chance of helping me with what to take after the 10 levels of theurge since that'd be level 14 I believe Divine Bard 2/Dread Necro 1/Theurge 10.

Also what feats and abilities would be good to take? I was also going to use a whisper gnome, any ideas of what good flaw to take?

Chronos
2014-05-22, 01:57 PM
Staying within the constraints of the OP, I'd go with Illumian as the race, with the feat Improved Sigil: Krau. This would enable qualifying for Mystic Theurge with bard 2/dread necro 1.

That said, such a build isn't very bardy. You'll only have two levels of high skill points, bardic music, bardic lore, etc. Basically all you're keeping from bard is the spellcasting, and there are plenty of better sources of spellcasting if that's all you want. You might as well just go straight sorcerer, and use your greater spellcasting ability to pick up both bardish spells and necromantic spells.

The Insaniac
2014-05-22, 04:25 PM
Have you taken a look at the Dirgesinger prestige class from Libris Mortis? The capstone allows you to spend bardic music to animate recently killed creatures.

enderlord99
2014-05-22, 10:55 PM
I can't really help with the crunch, but here's some fluff!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOnqjkJTMaA