PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Magus JPM?

Orsyn
2014-05-22, 01:23 PM
So, my DM has decided that he wants to introduce ToB material as part of our campaign's story. I'm currently running a Bladebound Kensai Magus, but once we reach the point where we have access to maneuvers in-character, we have the option of retraining our characters and class levels for free. A thought I had was to pick up some Warblade or Swordsage into Jade Phoenix Mage. I've never actually built a JPM before, and so I come to you guys for advice.

Does it matter if I go Swordsage over Warblade? I prefer Warblade personally, but I know Swordsage has some overlap with JPM.

Is it worth going for JPM at all, either as a Magus or in general? It seems like a good class, but the lack of Diamond Mind makes me sad.

upho
2014-05-23, 05:33 PM
Have your DM check out Path of War and recommend that he uses it instead of/in addition to ToB. PoW is simply awesome, and already an improvement on ToB IMO. For a magus, I'd say the warder is a highly interesting mc option, probably topped with a PrC like the Bladecaster for a super-gish.

Re: JPM, I haven't actually played one but I remember them as being pretty strong, especially if combined with (AFAICR) one level of spellblade(?) for casting in heavy armor, one level of crusader for proficiencies and Devoted Spirit maneuvers. And yes, I guess the swordsage would be more fitting than the warblade. Magus with a splash of swordsage would probably make for a conceptually cool and mechanically effective JPM gish. But it's been a long time since I last played 3.5, so take my thoughts with a big grain of salt...