PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Existing "magepunk" classes or "Should I really have to port the Artificer"?

Spore
2014-05-22, 05:45 PM
Greetings,

one of the players I want to DM wants to play a Dwarven "technician" and due to the lack of engineering classes in the core rules of paizo. I feel like the Artificer from the Eberron campaign setting fits quite nicely but I abhor unnecessary work and really want to stay in Pathfinder waters if anything. (A big discussion point would be the crafting pool since crafting doesn't use XP anymore).

Two of the players dislike the notion of bringing in 3rd party stuff from non-Paizo sources. So I ask of you for prestige classes, classes or archetypes for a ship engineer that is suitable for a city adventure with a side of nautical adventuring.

Ssalarn
2014-05-22, 05:59 PM
Just to be clear, you're saying no 3pp stuff, right? Because Pathfinder has an amazing 3pp community whose materials are are, in general, very well balanced and high quality, and the best artificer-type classes are usually found over that way in materials like Pure Steam, Terah, NeoExodus, and Thunderscape: The World of Aden.
Much of the third party stuff is also done by people who either work or have worked for Paizo at some point as well.

For Paizo, you're probably best off looking at Alchemist and Gunslinger archetypes to get that ship engineer feel, but the GS obviously doesn't have anything artifider-y going on...

The Forgemaster archetype for dwarven clerics could fit the theme.

The Saboteur archetype for gnomish alchemists is more about blowing stuff than fixing stuff, but all of the pieces are there to create an engineer-type character.

The Insanity
2014-05-22, 06:08 PM
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/3rd-party-classes/adamant-entertainment/artificer

Ravens_cry
2014-05-22, 09:51 PM
The Alchemist certainly has elements of the more organic version of this, as does the Vivisectionist archetype and the Master Chymist prestige class.

avr
2014-05-23, 12:51 AM
Gunslingers might qualify. There's a gnome racial archetype (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/races/core-races/gnome/experimental-gunsmith-gunslinger-gnome) which you might allow a dwarf to take to give more of an inventor feel. They will probably also want to take the Master Craftsman feat.

If magic is allowable the wizard spellslinger archetype could do the same sort of thing with more power and without the Master Craftsman feat tax.

Spore
2014-05-23, 02:45 AM
Just to be clear, you're saying no 3pp stuff, right? Because Pathfinder has an amazing 3pp community whose materials are are, in general, very well balanced and high quality, and the best artificer-type classes are usually found over that way in materials like Pure Steam, Terah, NeoExodus, and Thunderscape: The World of Aden.
Much of the third party stuff is also done by people who either work or have worked for Paizo at some point as well.

For Paizo, you're probably best off looking at Alchemist and Gunslinger archetypes to get that ship engineer feel, but the GS obviously doesn't have anything artifider-y going on...

The Forgemaster archetype for dwarven clerics could fit the theme.

The Saboteur archetype for gnomish alchemists is more about blowing stuff than fixing stuff, but all of the pieces are there to create an engineer-type character.

I feel like the Forgemaster is a touch too divine for him. But I may ask him. Saboteur sounds good since we will be playing with steam engines (and he may as well be on researching this strange new explosive motor called diesel engine :)).

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/3rd-party-classes/adamant-entertainment/artificer

I know I need to give them some time to create items since he wants to help the party by creating stuff and improving WBL but I dislike the fact that one of the main class mechanics uses up even further time of the day and without that prepp work he can't use half his class features. Then again I may give him the time to build some weird stuff. :)

The Alchemist certainly has elements of the more organic version of this, as does the Vivisectionist archetype and the Master Chymist prestige class.

Him and me both know a bit about real chemistry but I think a Dwarf should work more with earthen elements like iron, steel and coal. Although the amusing image of Simpson's "Gas-ohol" springs to mind.

Gunslingers might qualify. There's a gnome racial archetype (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/races/core-races/gnome/experimental-gunsmith-gunslinger-gnome) which you might allow a dwarf to take to give more of an inventor feel. They will probably also want to take the Master Craftsman feat.

If magic is allowable the wizard spellslinger archetype could do the same sort of thing with more power and without the Master Craftsman feat tax.

I may handwave several racial prerequisites. I will take some notes and discuss this matter with him tomorrow when we're driving to our weekend session.

Erik Vale
2014-05-23, 02:57 AM
I suggest the Toilcraft +/or the Master Craftsman feat as well, with liniancies for wonderous + construct....

It may also be worth making up a archtype combining Magus with Gunslinger. Looking at Alchemist Grenadier may be of interest.

ShadowFighter15
2014-05-23, 06:25 AM
If it does come down to porting the Artificer, this looks like a pretty good conversion (https://sites.google.com/site/eberronpathfinder/conversion-info/classes/artificer); made to work with Pathfinder but without making too many unnecessary changes.