PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Some Questions on Ice

Benthesquid
2014-05-22, 10:08 PM
So for an upcoming Pathfinder game, I'm considering having one of the environments be a massive ice warehouse, where ten foot blocks of ice are stored, to have parts chipped off for various purposes (including food storage, ice golems, and simulacra). I just want to get some of the physics down before I plan too much.

My first thought was to see whether the players or their enemies would be able to push the blocks about. A few quick calculations told me that a ten foot cube of ice, stored at about freezing temperature, has a weight of about 58,000 pounds, also known as "Too heavy for you," (A strength score of somewhere in the forties being necessary for a medium creature to push or pull it). So not too worried on that.

However, if you put a bunch of PCs in a room full of ice blocks, and tell them to fight Winter Hags and their Ice Elemental heavies, someones going to start throwing around fire. So, anybody have any thoughts on how to deal with how much ice various fire spells are likely to melt/boil, and how to deal with that. I don't think there'll be enough to flood the warehouse, but perhaps areas of difficult terrain around the melted blocks? Just ignore it altogether as a mechanical effect?

jjcrpntr
2014-05-22, 10:18 PM
Calculate the hardness and hp for a block of ice would be the only idea I have. Have fun keeping track of lots of numbers

Benthesquid
2014-05-22, 10:28 PM
Hmm. Perhaps I ought to take a note from Wall of Ice, since these ice block will probably by magically created.

"Each 10-foot square of wall has 3 hit points per inch of thickness." My ice blocks will be 10 ft, or 120 inches thick for a total of 360 hp.

Also "Fire can melt a wall of ice, and it deals full damage to the wall (instead of the normal half damage taken by objects). Suddenly melting a wall of ice creates a great cloud of steamy fog that lasts for 10 minutes."

Obviously, there's a lot more ice here, so we'll say that dealing twenty fire damage to an ice block (with seven inches being the minimum thickness of a Wall of Ice) creates a cloud of steamy fog ten feet in diameter, perhaps. In our cold temperatures, it won't last as long. Say, 1d10 rounds before condensing?