PDA

View Full Version : What to do with loot?

newplayer
2014-05-22, 11:43 PM
Hi all,

As you can tell I'm new to D&D. My party just killed a young adult black dragon (yay) and I wound up with its heart. What can be done with it? What kind of person in a large city would want it?

Benthesquid
2014-05-22, 11:49 PM
What kind of person? (http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMTcyNDY1OTI2Ml5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMzEwMzE4MTE@._ V1__SX961_SY608_.jpg)

My advice would be don't try to sell it. Instead, use some other loot to hire the best chef in the city to prepare it. Invite all the major players in the city to a meal 'not to be forgotten.' Network. Schmooze. If your DM's the type to role with it, you just gave him an excuse to set you up with any number of fantastic plot hooks.

Captnq
2014-05-22, 11:55 PM
Well, there is no RAW use for the heart of a dragon.

His hide, teeth, claws, and bones however, OH YEAH.

His armor can be made into acid resistance scale male that is one weight class less then normal, his teeth do +1 damage (acid), claws as well, properly enchanted, his bones can make dragonbone bows.

Get someone with crafting, have them craft you up all sorts of fun equipment. Sell it for stuff you want.

But the heart? Useless. Utterly useless. Unless your DM uses alternate magic item component rules. Then you need to ask him for details.

Here's a fun spell one of my players wrote up and researched.

Sealston’s Slaughter House

Necromancy
Level: Sor/Wiz 4
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Target: One creature
Duration: 1 day/level
Saving Throw: Fortitude negates.
Spell Resistance: Yes

The caster points his finger at the subject of the spell. The material componate is consumed in the casting and twin silvery blades of energy shoot out towards the target. If the target is above zero hitpoints, he gets a fortitude save to negate. Damage is 1 hp per level up to 15 points total. If the subject still has positive hit points after damage is delt, no further effects happen. If the target has zero hit points or below, he is instantly killed and the primary purpose of the spell occurs. Constructs and Incorporeal are uneffected.

The subject is chopped up into parts while glass jars, wax paper, and other forms of containers appear. The process is effectively instantainious. At the end of the round, the target resides in parts carefully havested and arranged neatly on the ground. Not a drop of blood is wasted. The subject’s skin is carefully folded and wrapped up. All the body parts are in little jars. The parts are all under an effect simular to Gentle Repose and will not decay for one day per level.

Typically the spell is used only on non-living targets that others have already killed, but it has been used as a coup de grace by wizards who like to be intimidating. While there is no attached fear effect per say, watching the person next to you turn into a pile of wrapped meat with his internal organs floating in jars does tend to have a negative impact on morale.

Oddly enough, while the target is chopped up into many different parts, everything is present and the subject can still be the subject of a raise dead spell. In such a case, all the parts must be put together, but not nessisarily in the right order. Putting all the parts and fluids together in a bath tub would work just fine, just be sure to plug up the drain.

Material Component: Two silver coins with ‘X’s scratched in them.

unseenmage
2014-05-23, 03:34 AM

I beg to differ. One can always find use for the remains of the living.

... I wound up with its heart. What can be done with it? ...

Go buy yourself a few castings of Simulacrum (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/simulacrum.htm) then you and your party ride off in style.

Alternatively you could also get Resurrection (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/resurrection.htm) cast on it then plot with the dragon against the other players who helped slay it.

It all depends on what your alignment and goals are.

Andezzar
2014-05-23, 03:48 AM
His armor can be made into acid resistance scale male that is one weight class less then normal,No, dragonhide (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialMaterials.htm#dragonhide) armor does not get a weight reduction. dragonhide scalemail is just as heavy as steel scalemail.

his teeth do +1 damage (acid),Provided you craft dragonfang weapons (Draconomicon p. 117) from them.

claws as well, properly enchanted,Where did you get that?

atomicwaffle
2014-05-23, 10:37 AM

His hide, teeth, claws, and bones however, OH YEAH.

His armor can be made into acid resistance scale male that is one weight class less then normal, his teeth do +1 damage (acid), claws as well, properly enchanted, his bones can make dragonbone bows.

Get someone with crafting, have them craft you up all sorts of fun equipment. Sell it for stuff you want.

But the heart? Useless. Utterly useless. Unless your DM uses alternate magic item component rules. Then you need to ask him for details.

Don't forget his blood. Black Dragon's Blood is a component for Rary's Mnemonic Enhancer and probably could also be used for various poisons