PDA

View Full Version : (Feat) Ouchies.

Orzel
2007-02-16, 10:45 AM
Signature Strike[General]
Choose one type of weapon for which you have already selected the Weapon Focus feat. You can also choose unarmed strike or grapple as your weapon for purposes of this feat. Chose Strength, Dexterity, or Constitution.

Prerequisites
Int 13, Proficiency with selected weapon, Weapon Focus with selected weapon, base attack bonus +4.

Benefit
You must declare that you are using this feat before you make your attack roll (thus, a failed attack roll ruins the attempt). When you use the full attack action using the selected weapon, you can give up your regular attacks and instead make one melee attack at your full base attack bonus against one opponent within reach. You provoke an attack of opportunity from the target you are trying to signature strike. (If you have the Signature strike feat, you don’t incur an attack of opportunity for making a signature strike attempt.) If the defender’s attack of opportunity deals any damage, your signature strike attempt fails. Signature Strike forces a foe damaged by your unarmed attack to make a Reflex saving throw (DC 10 + ½ your character level + your Int modifier), in addition to dealing damage normally. A defender who fails this saving throw must now make a Fortitude saving throw (DC 10 + ½ your character level + your Int modifier). You may attempt a signature strike once per day for every four levels you have attained (but see Special), and no more than once per round

A defender that fails the first saving throw but makes the second saving trow is dealt 2 points of ability damage of the ability chosen when taken this feat.
A defender that fails the both saving throws is dealt 1d6 points of ability damage of the ability chosen when taken this feat per 4 character levels.

Constructs, oozes, plants, undead, incorporeal creatures, and creatures immune to critical hits cannot be dealt Constitution damage this way.

Special
A fighter who selects this feat may attempt a signature strike a number of times per day equal to her half fighter level, plus one more time per day for every four levels she has in classes other than fighter.

A fighter may select Signature Strike as one of his fighter bonus feats.

Improved Signature Strike [General]

Prerequisites

Int 13, Combat Expertise, Signature Strike in the selecting weapon and ability.

Benefit
You do not provoke an attack of opportunity when you attempt to Signature Strike an opponent with the selecting weapon and ability.

Special
A fighter may select Signature Strike as one of his fighter bonus feats.
Basically:

Provoke AoO
If damaged- wasted
If not damaged- Attack

Attack
If damaged- Reflex save
If not damaged- wasted

Reflex save
If made- wasted
If not damaged- Fort save

Fort save
If damaged- 2 abilty damage
If not damaged- 1d6 ability damage per 4 levels

kailin
2007-02-16, 12:47 PM
I like the idea of a signature strike feat, but I've got two big problems with the this one is right now.

First of all, requiring two saves to take full effect is a lot of rolling to resolve a melee attack. That's usually reserved for spells. Aside from the extra dicework (which is fun) it greatly reduces the attack's chance of being effective. And the effect of the signature strike is just not strong enough to justify two saving throws -- you're giving up multiple attacks to deal regular damage plus some ability damage if they fail two physical saves.

Which brings me to the second problem. The ability damage (though 9 out of 10 times physical characters will make their saves) is not all that great. On the off-chance that someone has no healing available and they fail their saves, it could be devastating, but ray of enfeeblement and all sorts of mid-to-low-level undead can already do the same thing more reliably.

The rogue's crippling strike special ability makes a good point of comparison.

Crippling Strike has:
- No save
- Synergy with a key class feature
- Little bookkeeping (damaged by a sneak attack? Take 2 points of Str damage)

Signature Strike seems less about surprise than overwhelming prowess and concentration. Instead of sapping its foe's physical abilities, it swings a fight with one blow. And there's one more thing I notice about signature strikes in movies and books: you only use it once on any opponent, whether it works or not.

Borrowing Bo9S's "uses per encounter" idea, here's my rough draft of the feat.

Signature Strike [General, Fighter]
Prerequisites: Weapon Focus, Weapon Specialization (I'm a sucker for that)
Benefit: Once per encounter, with a weapon you have Weapon Specialization for, you may use a full attack action to make a signature melee attack, a unique and devastating combat move of your own devising that reflects your cunning and mastery with the weapon. Roll a melee attack. If you hit, you automatically threaten a critical, which you still must confirm. The victim must make a Fort save (DC = damage dealt) or become staggered until the end of his next round.
Special: A fighter can be famous for his signature technique, but opponents who have studied the technique can develop defenses against it. When you take Signature Strike, invent a personal technique. An opponent with the Signature Strike feat who knows your technique adds half his BAB to his AC and Fort save for the purposes of resolving Signature Strikes against him.

Orzel
2007-02-16, 01:36 PM
I like the idea of a signature strike feat, but I've got two big problems with the this one is right now.

First of all, requiring two saves to take full effect is a lot of rolling to resolve a melee attack. That's usually reserved for spells. Aside from the extra dicework (which is fun) it greatly reduces the attack's chance of being effective. And the effect of the signature strike is just not strong enough to justify two saving throws -- you're giving up multiple attacks to deal regular damage plus some ability damage if they fail two physical saves.

Which brings me to the second problem. The ability damage (though 9 out of 10 times physical characters will make their saves) is not all that great. On the off-chance that someone has no healing available and they fail their saves, it could be devastating, but ray of enfeeblement and all sorts of mid-to-low-level undead can already do the same thing more reliably.

The rogue's crippling strike special ability makes a good point of comparison.

Crippling Strike has:
- No save
- Synergy with a key class feature
- Little bookkeeping (damaged by a sneak attack? Take 2 points of Str damage)

What if I made it:

2 ability damage if you are hit but make the first save
1d6 ability damage per 3 levels if you are hit and make the 2nd save
1d6 ability damage per 2 levels if you are hit and fail both

Signature Strike seems less about surprise than overwhelming prowess and concentration. Instead of sapping its foe's physical abilities, it swings a fight with one blow. And there's one more thing I notice about signature strikes in movies and books: you only use it once on any opponent, whether it works or not.

Borrowing Bo9S's "uses per encounter" idea, here's my rough draft of the feat.

Signature Strike [General, Fighter]
Prerequisites: Weapon Focus, Weapon Specialization (I'm a sucker for that)
Benefit: Once per encounter, with a weapon you have Weapon Specialization for, you may use a full attack action to make a signature melee attack, a unique and devastating combat move of your own devising that reflects your cunning and mastery with the weapon. Roll a melee attack. If you hit, you automatically threaten a critical, which you still must confirm. The victim must make a Fort save (DC = damage dealt) or become staggered until the end of his next round.
Special: A fighter can be famous for his signature technique, but opponents who have studied the technique can develop defenses against it. When you take Signature Strike, invent a personal technique. An opponent with the Signature Strike feat who knows your technique adds half his BAB to his AC and Fort save for the purposes of resolving Signature Strikes against him.

The idea behind it was not a surprise attack but a difficult yet powerful combat move. The warrior sets up the attack (roleplayed as a stance, throwing the weapon in the air, screaming, taunting). Then they swing at the target's muscles(Str), limbs(Dex), or body(Con). The depth/force of the hits depends on the target's speed or tougness. Failing boh saves pretty much takes you out. To other fighters, it is harder to hit with force. Against rouges, it's harder to land but devastating if it does. To non-melee casters, it's a death move.

The other part of it is that Fighter can gain move signature strike than other classes does to their combat focus. A fighter can get a SS feat for all three stats with their favorite weapon. Then they SS the target's physical dump stats. Other classes can do this too but it takes longer. An SS warrior become a attribute drainer.

Orzel
2007-02-16, 09:06 PM
Bump and add.

Hunter's Strike [General]
Prerequisite
Int 13, Signature Strike, two or more favored enemies.

Benefit
Add your favored enemy bonus to the DC for saving throws when performing a Signature Strike against a favored enemy. You may also deal Constitution damage to critical hit immune creatures if they can a favored enemy when using a signature Strike.

Divine Strike [General]
Prerequisite
Int 13, Signature Strike, Lay On Hands class feature.

Benefit
Add +4 bonus to the DC for saving throws when performing a Signature Strike against an undead enemy. You are immune to ability damage dealt by signature strike form undread creatures.

Fury Strike [General]
Prerequisite
Int 13, Signature Strike, rage.

Benefit
Add +4 bonus to the DC for saving throws when performing a Signature Strike when in a rage.