PDA

View Full Version : Who do you think Belkar will end up killing?

Estrosiath
2007-02-16, 12:12 PM
Was going through the comics, and since we now know Miko's horse is probably out of the picture, it's a question worth asking.
And more precisely, do you think by 'killing', the oracle meant 'causing the permanent death of', or simply killing once? In a world where resurrection is possible, it's yet another question worth asking.

factotum
2007-02-16, 12:44 PM
We know the Oracle is tricksy with his answers, and Belkar did NOT ask:

"Which of the following do I kill:"

He ACTUALLY asked:

"Which of the following do I cause the death of:"

Causing their death does not mean he has to kill them directly--simply leaving a banana skin in the wrong place that one of them slips on and cracks their skull would fit the prophecy just fine.

Eldred
2007-02-16, 12:59 PM
I would like to see a "final showdown" between Miko and Belkar, seeing as they've fought each other before. But I quite like the idea of Belkar killing someone indirectly - I guess that's what he would call a :belkar: "lame-ass prophecy".

Jade_Tarem
2007-02-16, 01:15 PM
Order of likelyhood:

Miko (high - in the form of either a final showdown, a random event, or convincing her to commit seppuku when she awakens in prison)
The Oracle (low - the Oracle may never be seen again, unless we are once again talking about some random humorous event)
Roy (lower - he's the main character, so unless he gets resurrected, there's little chance of an early and violent Belkarian death for him)
Miko's Horse (Virtually zero - Even the normally uninsightful Belkar has realized that he will be unable to reach Miko's mount for an indefinite amount of time.)
Vaarsivus (Also virtually zero - V is supposed to achieve ultimate arcane power. No matter how psychotic the little bald midget is, you don't take down an epic wizard with ranger/barbarian levels. It is also unlikely that V would die in such a random incident as would be required to kill V)

JKR
2007-02-16, 01:16 PM
The real problem I have with OotS in general is that death isn't really that much of an issue. I mean, in D&D it's more of an inconvenience than anything. Don't get me wrong, I love the series, but it's hard to have any drama revolving around characters dying since they'll just pop right back up if they want to. Even in that prophecy for Durkon where he'll go back to his home after he's dead really means nothing, because maybe he'll be smuggled in dead and then raised or something.

But I guess Miko is the most likely candidate for Belkar to kill, though I think the indirect thing would be so much more funny.

Oxymoron
2007-02-16, 01:38 PM
Vaarsivus won`t achieve ultimate arcane power. He/she will be powerful, don`t get me wrong, but i don`t see him/her actually saying the right 4 words to the right being at the right time for all the wrong reasons. It`s kinda hard.

However, he/she is not a likely candidate for Belkars murderous daggers (or banana peel).

Drascin
2007-02-16, 02:07 PM
Vaarsivus won`t achieve ultimate arcane power. He/she will be powerful, don`t get me wrong, but i don`t see him/her actually saying the right 4 words to the right being at the right time for all the wrong reasons. It`s kinda hard.Thing is, according to the wording, it is supposed that he will. He didn't ask how to get the power, but "how will I achieve...". If he wouldn't get it somehow, the only true answer the oracle could have given him was "you don't". Therefore, V will indeed get ultimate arcane power. Of course, in a Hellking BM-like chain of random events, he will lose it about five minutes after, because, as we all know, the laws of comedic irony don't like our favorite elf :smalltongue:.

Lord Zentei
2007-02-16, 02:08 PM
Vaarsivus (Also virtually zero - V is supposed to achieve ultimate arcane power. No matter how psychotic the little bald midget is, you don't take down an epic wizard with ranger/barbarian levels. It is also unlikely that V would die in such a random incident as would be required to kill V)

Not neccesarily a given, since there are serendipitous "power of plot" events as well as criticals versus d4 hit dice.

Moreover, there could be circumstances to consider. Say, V turns to the dark side and is standing in the Gate of Power with the Snarl's energy coursing through him/her, and Belkar upsets the delicate energy control device or whatever. Or, V is forced to renounce the power for whatever reason.

Besides, "causes the death of" =/= "kills personally".

Not saying that this is going to happen, mind, just that it is not impossible for Belkar to cause V's death one way or another.

Vaarsivus won`t achieve ultimate arcane power. He/she will be powerful, don`t get me wrong, but i don`t see him/her actually saying the right 4 words to the right being at the right time for all the wrong reasons. It`s kinda hard.

However, he/she is not a likely candidate for Belkars murderous daggers (or banana peel).

The question was "How WILL I... gain...", and the answer wasn't "you won't", so that seems to imply that s/he will.

Oxymoron
2007-02-16, 02:29 PM
If I asked the Oracle: "How will i win the lottery?" and it replied " buy a ticket", does that mean that I will win the lottery, or just at least get a oneinamillon chance of buying the right ticket? It is not given tha V will accomplish ultimate arcane power, he may just been given the edge to painfully reasearch the right answer if lucky.

MReav
2007-02-16, 02:39 PM
I personally doubt Belkar's victims will be permanently inconvenienced by their deaths. This is why I'm voting a party member.

Lord Zentei
2007-02-16, 02:48 PM
If I asked the Oracle: "How will i win the lottery?" and it replied " buy a ticket", does that mean that I will win the lottery, or just at least get a oneinamillon chance of buying the right ticket? It is not given tha V will accomplish ultimate arcane power, he may just been given the edge to painfully reasearch the right answer if lucky.

Yes, saying that "how WILL I" does assume that you will. Otherwise, it would be "how COULD I".

The oracle is supposed to be able to see the future, that's it's job. One in a million chances don't apply: it either will happen or it will not. The wording of the question and the answer rather imply that it will.

Levant
2007-02-16, 02:50 PM

He said that V would do it for all the wrong reasons though, so V may not realize that s(he)'s fulfilling the prophecy while saying those four words. If there isn't a chance of it happening then it would have never come up in the comic.

Estrosiath
2007-02-16, 02:54 PM
Good points one and all. Either he will 'cause the death' or Roy or Varsuvius indirectly for slapstick comedy effect, or he will kill Miko once and for all in a show down. Now that she isn't a paladin anymore (and that she has fallen), he has all the reasons in the world to kill her once and for all, if he is given a good opportunity to do it and can get away with it. He just wanted to keep her alive to see her fall, otherwise he could have slitted her throat that time he knocked her lights out with his sheet of lead.

Aldebaran
2007-02-16, 04:03 PM
Or, there is the possibility of Belkar causing death to someone without even knowing about it...
You know, tossing a banana peel on the ground just because he is too lazy to put it in the trash bin might actually end upa as tool of fatal disaster for someone(my personal guess is Miko)
Now THATS a lame ass prophecy:smallbiggrin:

Josh Inno
2007-02-16, 04:11 PM
*ponders* Lame Ass. Lame Ass... Lame... o.O THAt'S IT! I HAVE IT!

Belkar will form an alliance with a plain traveling donkey with a bumb leg from the beast realms, who will carry him to the home of the horse. He still can kill the horse! BWAHAHAHAHA!!!

TreesOfDeath
2007-02-16, 04:38 PM
Miko is Belkar's one true oppisite. Hes almost destiend to fighter her in the Linear Guild. So different, yet so alike.
I really doubt he would kill V or Roy and I dont see how the oracle would return

Josh Inno
2007-02-16, 05:31 PM
WAIT! Maybe he already counts as having caused the death of the horse... does it still exist, separate from Miko's paladin hood?

JKR
2007-02-16, 05:34 PM
No, the horse would technically still exist, and also Belkar didn't cause that to happen anyway.

PirateMonk
2007-02-16, 05:55 PM
Order of likelyhood:

Miko (high - in the form of either a final showdown, a random event, or convincing her to commit seppuku when she awakens in prison)
The Oracle (low - the Oracle may never be seen again, unless we are once again talking about some random humorous event)
Roy (lower - he's the main character, so unless he gets resurrected, there's little chance of an early and violent Belkarian death for him)
Miko's Horse (Virtually zero - Even the normally uninsightful Belkar has realized that he will be unable to reach Miko's mount for an indefinite amount of time.)

Miko's Horse: As has been said before, Windstriker isn't stupid. During the invasion, Miko could escape, with the Order dispatched to stop her. She steals a horse on the way out. Belkar lunges at her in a surprise attack, but with Monk reflexes, she jumps out of the way and Belkar ends up stabbing the horse.
:vaarsuvius: : I've said this before. V learns that when s/he dies, (s)he will become the god(dess) of magic and say something to make Belkar kill him/her.

Lord Faranor
2007-02-16, 07:17 PM
My coins go to Belkar killing Miko. (Boy, that'll be nice...)

About V's prophecy, let me remind some of you a trick about making nice RPG plots. Make clues about great things that may come to happen, even though you have no idea how it'll happen. THEN, guide the plot so that it happens, and you're a genius for having that idea for so long (even though you just thought of a way to it yesterday)! Trust me, to a level, everyone does that. (And by "everyone" I mean everyone who cares about making decent plots, and I think Rich is in this group...)

Xiander
2007-02-16, 07:35 PM
This is most probably just a stupid idea of mine, but i noticed a funny twist in the dialog that may or may not be a hint:
:belkar:: Do i get to cause the death of any of the following: Miko, Mikos stupid horse, Roy Vaarsuvius or you?

Oracle: Yes.

:belkar:: Sweet! Which one?

Oracle: Next!

In the next picture we see roy preparing to ask his question. I don't think it is more probable than any of the others, but it might just be roy :smallsmile:

13_CBS
2007-02-16, 08:29 PM
This is most probably just a stupid idea of mine, but i noticed a funny twist in the dialog that may or may not be a hint:
:belkar:: Do i get to cause the death of any of the following: Miko, Mikos stupid horse, Roy Vaarsuvius or you?

Oracle: Yes.

:belkar:: Sweet! Which one?

Oracle: Next!

In the next picture we see roy preparing to ask his question. I don't think it is more probable than any of the others, but it might just be roy :smallsmile:

Ha! I'm going to laugh quite hard if what you say is true, and Belkar ends up accidentaly killing Roy at the worst of moments XD

War
2007-02-16, 08:38 PM
Miko's Horse: As has been said before, Windstriker isn't stupid. During the invasion, Miko could escape, with the Order dispatched to stop her. She steals a horse on the way out. Belkar lunges at her in a surprise attack, but with Monk reflexes, she jumps out of the way and Belkar ends up stabbing the horse.
Ooo, now that's an excellent loophole.

dutch508
2007-02-16, 09:35 PM
A better question would be who would Belkar not end up killing.

agentx42
2007-02-16, 10:51 PM
The real problem I have with OotS in general is that death isn't really that much of an issue. I mean, in D&D it's more of an inconvenience than anything. Don't get me wrong, I love the series, but it's hard to have any drama revolving around characters dying since they'll just pop right back up if they want to. Even in that prophecy for Durkon where he'll go back to his home after he's dead really means nothing, because maybe he'll be smuggled in dead and then raised or something.

Too true. That's always been a personal bugaboo of mine. I prefer stories where those who pass on, stay passed. If a character dies but comes back fresh as a daisy, it lessens the dramatic impact and even feels a little cheap to me. (Kind of like what certain vampire slayers go through.) But that's just a personal preference, of course.

Since Rich is staying loyal to the conventions of his story, he can raise eleventy bazillion people if he wishes and I won't arch an eyebrow. Well, maybe slightly arch it.

Saithis Bladewing
2007-02-16, 11:12 PM
He unwittingly killed the Oracle by putting up a note giving bounties for kobold heads. The bounty-hungry adventurers spread across the land, collecting kobold heads, including the head of our dearest oracle.

Baru
2007-02-16, 11:25 PM
Not Miko. That would be too predictable.
Note how The Giant is infamous for throwing unexpected plot turns.

Zienth
2007-02-16, 11:42 PM
He unwittingly killed the Oracle by putting up a note giving bounties for kobold heads. The bounty-hungry adventurers spread across the land, collecting kobold heads, including the head of our dearest oracle.

Why would Belkar put up a bounty to pay someone to do something he'd rather do himself? I just don't see Belkar paying someone else for kobold heads when the enjoyment is in the killing, not in just having a dead head.

Zienth

TARINunit9
2007-02-16, 11:43 PM
I don't know who, but it's probably MORE THAN ONE PERSON. I used to think he would kill all or almost all of them, but now Mr. Winkstinker's out of the question. My guess is :miko:, the Oracle, and maybe :roy:.

Mayo_the_Thurmaturge
2007-02-16, 11:46 PM

That's interesting. He could be still considered a 'menace' to the relatives of the guy who had a heart attack from his heart attack prophecy.

Mayo_the_Thurmaturge
2007-02-16, 11:49 PM
Why would Belkar put up a bounty to pay someone to do something he'd rather do himself? I just don't see Belkar paying someone else for kobold heads when the enjoyment is in the killing, not in just having a dead head.

Zienth

He already did that.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0357.html

After reading the description, though, I'm not sure if it would work...

Nightmarenny
2007-02-16, 11:57 PM
It may be too obvious but I say Miko. They are to opposite.
1.Belkar is completly honest with himself and what he is, Miko is so complety deluded she can't see she screwed up when the gods cut her down.
2.Miko seeks to do good but will enevitibly go down a very bad path, Belkar is evil but his love for killing leads him to Roys group which leads him to saving the world.
3.Belkar is honorless an will win a fight through anymeans neccisary Miko lives for honour.

Its Linear destiny

skinkatlarge
2007-02-17, 12:02 AM
Haha, that's brilliant! I was thinking more along the lines of
Belkar, captured by Xykon or someone as formidable, happens to mention the oracle, sending xykon to make use of him or kill him, trying. Indirect cause of death. But yours is so much better - it's already done! And it makes perfect sense!

I wonder if V's behavior will become more reckless (in terms of putting herself at risk of death), knowing she is guaranteed not to die until her prophecy is fulfilled. She of all the OOTS strikes me as having the confidence in the oracle's infallibility to act on its logical implications, and the intelligence to recognize them. Plus, she's the only one left besides Elan with a guaranteed lifeline (and Elan's claim is shaky at best).

TARINunit9
2007-02-17, 12:06 AM
Not Miko. That would be too predictable.
Note how The Giant is infamous for throwing unexpected plot turns.

Either way, Miko's death would fufill karma, the wishes of hundreds of OOTS fans, and the prophecy. Which reminds me, does the Giant like Miko, or does he regret her creation...?

SupraGuy
2007-02-17, 03:56 AM
Everyone remembers that the Oracle is a master at doubletalk, but everyone still underestimates...

Belkar does not identify "Windstriker" -- He says "Miko's stupid horse."

Though Windstriker was Miko's horse at the time, (s)he is arguably NOT stupid, and should the fallen paladin be mounted in the future, it is likely to be astride a far less intelligent horse.

Thus, should Belkar get to cause the death of THAT beast, the prophesy would still be fulfilled, possibly far more accurately than if it were Windstriker to fall.

Or that's what I think. "Miko's stupid horse" isn't out of the running.

Xanforen
2007-02-17, 04:22 PM
What if he was tricked by a new member of the Linear guild into revealing the whereabouts of :vaarsuvius:, :roy: or :miko:, and then the Linear Guild kills them? Would that not fulfill the prophecy of him "causing the death of" one of them? Or by a new villain, not necessarily Nale or Sabine?

Xanforen
2007-02-17, 04:29 PM
Ooo, now that's an excellent loophole.

It would be a fine loophole, but there is a hole in your loophole.
Miko, now no longer a paladin, is a fighter without bonus feats. That means no Detect Evil, no Laying on of Hands, and no Monk Reflexes.

Sage in the Playground
2007-02-17, 04:39 PM
It would be a fine loophole, but there is a hole in your loophole.
Miko, now no longer a paladin, is a fighter without bonus feats. That means no Detect Evil, no Laying on of Hands, and no Monk Reflexes.

Falling doesn't effect her leverls in Monk...

Josh Inno
2007-02-17, 04:58 PM
Everyone remembers that the Oracle is a master at doubletalk, but everyone still underestimates...

Belkar does not identify "Windstriker" -- He says "Miko's stupid horse."

Though Windstriker was Miko's horse at the time, (s)he is arguably NOT stupid, and should the fallen paladin be mounted in the future, it is likely to be astride a far less intelligent horse.

Thus, should Belkar get to cause the death of THAT beast, the prophesy would still be fulfilled, possibly far more accurately than if it were Windstriker to fall.

Or that's what I think. "Miko's stupid horse" isn't out of the running.

She might also get a blackguard horse if she turned.

donkyhotay
2007-02-18, 12:13 AM
I personally have been betting on her getting a regular mount, belkar accidently killing it and then him suddenly realizing "aw @#$%! what a waste!"

Skippy the Dire
2007-02-18, 12:16 AM
Who will Belkar end up killing?

Many, many goblins and hobgoblins.

Others too numerous to mention.

At least two more members of Yikyik's family.

At least one horse.

An announcer.

Did I miss anyone?

HealthKit
2007-02-18, 05:06 PM
Why isn't this a poll?!? :smallconfused:

Yeah, Belkar did not specify Windstriker as "Miko's stupid horse" although it was implied Windstriker was the horse he was referring to. However it has not been established that Miko has previously owned or will in the future obtain another horse of questionable intelligence. Additionally, I doubt the context of Belkar's question (and his answer) is any way referring to said previously owned/future horse. It gets a little fuzzy in that area.

If he does indeed cause the death of Miko in some shape or form, on purpose or by accident, I wouldn't be surprised. Though it is what I think a lot of people suspect, so maybe Rich won't got that angle.

The note Belkar leaves in Cliffport specifically states that a Kobold Menace is in *Cliffport*, not the Oracles home. Somehow I suspect the Oracle would know about this note and stay the hell away from Cliffport.

However, my gut instinct tells me Belkar causes the death of V. By accident.
Remember the answer to Elan's question implies that the ending will be sad for someone. Durkon's death is too obvious, I don't see anything bad happening Haley (that would lead to sad ending for Elan) which leaves Belkar, Roy and V. Roy's the main character, so I doubt nothing bad will come of him, and whatever unfortunate incident falls upon Belkar will probably be viewed as what he had coming to him.
Thus leaving V. Somehow I doubt V's death will be on purpose, as again, we'll be expecting it. So I feel Belkar will cause the death of V unintentionally, giving Belkar some sort of immense guilt trip, having not killed her on purpose and perhaps under undesirable circumstances .

But that's just me.

Adeptus
2007-02-18, 05:33 PM
Either way, Miko's death would fufill karma, the wishes of hundreds of OOTS fans, and the prophecy. Which reminds me, does the Giant like Miko, or does he regret her creation...?

Those choises are not mutually exclusive.

Quite possibly Rich doesn't like Miko, but I seriously doubt he regrets writing her up.

Rai Thunder
2007-02-18, 05:43 PM
Who will Belkar end up killing?

Many, many goblins and hobgoblins.

Others too numerous to mention.

At least two more members of Yikyik's family.

At least one horse.

An announcer.

Did I miss anyone?

Once the Mark of Justice is lifted, any/all of these are possible! :smalltongue:

rgoodfellow
2007-02-18, 07:50 PM
meh, I'm in favor of him killing the horse.

Though if we're going wtih an accidental death causing event, I'd say the rules of story telling would it make it the oracle and it would be right before the OOTS gang went back to the oracle to ask another very important question and as the oracle is ready to answer, Belkar fulfills his prophecy.

Tilian
2007-02-18, 08:38 PM

But what about the OOTS fans that don't want her to die?

And I doubt the Giant regrets Miko. He was surprised by how strong the initial reactions to her were, according to the commentaries, and he actually said something about playing her harsher than he really wanted to during the inn sequence if I remember correctly.

rashambo
2007-02-19, 02:20 PM
Roy: No way, He'd get tanked and he knows it.

V : No, Roy would tank him and he knows it. Threat of physical harm keep B at bay

Miko: No, that is for something more dramatic.

I like it being the oracle or the horse, unless it is unwittingly done, then it's anybody's guess...It could take a year or two to find out. By then we will have forgotten and be like OMGWTFBBQ!!!!!

Squark
2007-02-19, 05:14 PM
Order of likelyhood:

Miko's Horse (Virtually zero - Even the normally uninsightful Belkar has realized that he will be unable to reach Miko's mount for an indefinite amount of time.)Vaarsivus (Also virtually zero - V is supposed to achieve ultimate arcane power. No matter how psychotic the little bald midget is, you don't take down an epic wizard with ranger/barbarian levels. It is also unlikely that V would die in such a random incident as would be required to kill V)

With Miko the Blackgaurd, We could have Windstriker return, you know...

Copacetic
2007-02-19, 06:46 PM
This is all very confusing but we know one of them will die and I am looking forward to it. Mabye all of the above...

Rai Thunder
2007-02-19, 08:07 PM
Unless everyone died, but that's just plain silly.

I think the Oracle would be a little bit more reactive if Belkar was going to kill him, don't you?

Sinewmire
2007-02-19, 08:19 PM
Hmm, I don't suppose it's possible Miko will be executed for attempting to murder Belkar?

At least with Shojo there was some vague provokation, but with Belkar she just really didn't like him.