PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Spellthief and Sublime Chord: Is it worth it?

Pan
2014-05-23, 03:22 PM
Hello Playground :smallsmile:

Simple question:
Is going Lightfoot Halfling Spellthief 7+X/ Prestige Bard 1 /Sublime Chord 1/ Unseen Seer X worth it ?
(ECL 21 in the end)

Possible breaking points in the Spellthief so far:
Lvl 9: Minimum capacity to steal 9th level spells
Lvl 11: 3rd lvl spells
Lvl 13: Discover all spells of one spell level with successful SA
Lvl 14: 4th lvl spells.

Right now I'm a 7th lvl Spellthief in a campaign that might contain a lot of undead and not as many enemy casters as I thought. With Sublime Chord I would gain some nifty spells (also, I could steal them from myself and transform them in Spellthief spells). Wands of Grave Strike are my best friend, but still it would be nice to have a bit of extra-power .but at the price of complicated multiclassing. What do you think?

Only one attempt to use "steal XY" per sneak attack.
Absorb spell doesn't work against items.
Master Spellthief feat doesn't affect storing capacity

-Ruby Knight Vindicator
-Shapeshift Druid
-Sorcerer
So, my power level is pretty low compared to the rest.

(Sorry for my bad English)

Flickerdart
2014-05-23, 03:30 PM
9th level spells make everything better but your Spellthief side isn't going to be that much use to you. Are you able to retrain?

Pan
2014-05-23, 03:40 PM
9th level spells make everything better but your Spellthief side isn't going to be that much use to you. Are you able to retrain?

Regrettably not. And I'm definitely stuck with at least 7th lvl Spellthief. Master Spellthief at least grants me spelltheft in higher level. The earliest qualification for Sublime Chord would be 12th level.

gorfnab
2014-05-23, 04:17 PM
How about Spellthief, Trickster ACF (Dragon Mag #353) 9/ Prestige Bard 1/ Sublime Chord 2/ Unseen Seer 8?

Pan
2014-05-24, 05:23 AM
How about Spellthief, Trickster ACF (Dragon Mag #353) 9/ Prestige Bard 1/ Sublime Chord 2/ Unseen Seer 8?

Thanks for your answers, you two.

Sadly, I can't change the first 7 levels anymore, and I'm the only trapfinder/ skillmonkey in the group.

But if you've got an other idea where to go go with my Spellthief, you're most welcome. :-)

Khatoblepas
2014-05-24, 06:12 AM
Versatile Spellcaster can give you 3rd level spells (if you can get hold of a way to cast one, like Heighten Spell or Earth Spell) a couple of levels earlier, leaving you with Spellthief 9/Prestige Bard 1/Sublime Chord 1/Unseen Seer 9. It's a couple of feats, but it's worth it for 9th level spells ASAP. Though it does leave you with a dearth of 3rd level spells slots (0 of them).

Pan
2014-05-27, 05:37 PM
Versatile Spellcaster can give you 3rd level spells (if you can get hold of a way to cast one, like Heighten Spell or Earth Spell) a couple of levels earlier, leaving you with Spellthief 9/Prestige Bard 1/Sublime Chord 1/Unseen Seer 9. It's a couple of feats, but it's worth it for 9th level spells ASAP. Though it does leave you with a dearth of 3rd level spells slots (0 of them).

The DM wouldn't allow it, so I'll have to stick with the simple things....

Entry for Sublime chord at---

11th level --> Minimum spells (3rd level)+ Prestige Bard + Sublime Chord (9)
13th level --> Discover spells, SA 4d6 + PB + SC (7)
14th level --> Transform 4th lvl spells into Spellthief spells + PB + Sublime Chord (6)

nedz
2014-05-27, 07:19 PM
I'd be tempted to go Spelltheif 7 / Beguiler 1 / Unseen Seer 10 or even Spelltheif 7 / Beguiler 13 picking up some anti-undead spells with Arcane Disciple.