PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Invoker Build Help

Rofltrollcopter
2014-05-23, 03:31 PM
Hello, I am joining a 4th edition campaign at my school, and its my first time I've played 4th ed. The current party composition is 2 strikers, 2 leaders and a defender, so I am making an Invoker. The party is at 5th level, and I can have a 6th, 5th, 4th level magic item and gold equal to one 4th level item.

This is what I have so far: http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=902605

Any tips, commentary, pointing out things I messed up, item suggestions etc. would be very much appreciated.

GPuzzle
2014-05-23, 04:44 PM
Wow, surprisingly good for a first character (my first was a Half-Elf Rogue with his Dilletante being Eyebite - and I didn't multiclass Warlock/Sorcerer to pick up an implement *facepalm*). Although I'd personally go for Half-Elf/Dwarf/Mul and be a Malediction Invoker (man, the riders are awesome). Later on, though, with Soul of the World, the Deva truly shines.

By the way, if you keep Deva, pick up Battle Intution instead of Battlewise. It gives you a +2 bonus to initiative and lets you use Wisdom for Initiative.

Level 5 Daily should be Grasping Chains of the Justiciar or Searing Orb. Level 3 Encounter should be Astral Terror. Your Convenant should either be Malediction or Preservation if you stay as a Deva. By the way, with Divine Bolts, you should totally pick up Power of Skill.

Rofltrollcopter
2014-05-23, 05:20 PM
Thanks for the tip about Battle Intuition, unfortunately I don't think my dm has access to content from dragon magazine, so I'm not sure if I would be able to use it.

Why is Covenant of Malediction better for a Deva then Covenant of Wrath? My first impression is that the potential +2/3 damage from the covenant manifestation has more impact then being able to slide one target one square, and it seems that there aren't that many powers available at low level which get buffed by the covenant of Malediction. For reference, I wouldn't expect my game to go past 10th level.

GPuzzle
2014-05-23, 05:55 PM
Deva shouldn't go Wrath due to having less stat synergy. You're Int+Wis, you should match it. But since you don't expect your game to go past level 10, ditch it immediately for a Mul/Dwarf/Half-Elf, because they get a +Con and a +Wis bonus. Besides, the racial bonuses are great.

And you're a Controller, not a Striker. You deal damage, sure, but your focus is simple: make your DM miserable. And to do so, you apply conditions, and sometimes it's unfriendly. Sure, it sounds worse, but between stunning the striker and not stunning the striker, the slide is worth it.