PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Racial Heritage and Adoptive Parents

CyberWyld
2014-05-23, 03:57 PM
So I'm a new Pathfinder DM. I have a player that wants to play as a human and still take gulch gunner (which is race exclusive to ratfolk). Can he access it with adoptive parents as well as racial heritage? The wording on these seems fuzzy to me. One is a feat and one is a trait I realize. But does being adopted still allow him to get the class without burning a feat? Can someone please help clarify. Thanks much!

Adopted

You were adopted and raised by someone not of your race, and raised in a society not your own.

Benefit: As a result, you picked up a race trait from your adoptive parents and society, and may immediately select a race trait from your adoptive parents' race.

Prerequisite: Human.

Benefit: Choose another humanoid race. You count as both human and that race for any effects related to race. For example, if you choose dwarf, you are considered both a human and a dwarf for the purpose of taking traits, feats, how spells and magic items affect you, and so on.

Sidmen
2014-05-23, 04:05 PM
Being Adopted only allows him to pick up one trait from the race (like, say Stonecunning or Weapon Familiarity). The feat actually calls him out as being considered the second race for things that reference race. So that would be what he wants.

CyberWyld
2014-05-23, 04:52 PM
Thanks mucho!

CyberWyld
2014-05-23, 05:31 PM
What about adopted parentage?

Adoptive Parentage:
Humans are sometimes orphaned and adopted by other races. Choose one humanoid race without the human subtype. You start play with that race's languages and gain that race's weapon familiarity racial trait (if any). If the race does not have weapon familiarity, you gain either Skill Focus or Weapon Focus as a bonus feat that is appropriate for that race instead. This racial trait replaces the bonus feat trait.

Erik Vale
2014-05-23, 05:58 PM
Nope. At least, not RAW, but RAI I'd say go for it myself.