PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder More Spell Questions

Pex
2014-05-23, 07:27 PM
Eventually the Paladin can share his Smite Evil with party members. How does that work with spells, if at all? I don't see how it could work with most spells, but what about weapon-like spells such as Scorching Ray and Holy Ice? Does the spellcaster gain the bonuses to his attack and damage rolls from such spells? If yes, is it for every attack for spells that give multiple attacks, like Holy Ice?

Oracle's Burden

This spell causes its victim to suffer the debilitating effect of the oracle's Curse but not its benefits. How does this work with a Dual Cursed oracle? Is the victim only affected by the main Curse, affected by both Curses, or may the oracle choose either or both Curses to be in effect?

Yanisa
2014-05-24, 01:08 AM
Eventually the Paladin can share his Smite Evil with party members. How does that work with spells, if at all? I don't see how it could work with most spells, but what about weapon-like spells such as Scorching Ray and Holy Ice? Does the spellcaster gain the bonuses to his attack and damage rolls from such spells? If yes, is it for every attack for spells that give multiple attacks, like Holy Ice?

It is unspecified which rolls (weapon, spells, etc) are affected other then the generic terms. Thus if it has an attack roll, it gets a bonus equal to the paladin's charisma modifier. If it has a damage roll, it gets a bonus equal to the paladin's level. If it has multiple attack or damage rolls it could get the bonus multiple times, once per roll. (Similar as with multiple mundane attacks.)

Oracle's Burden

This spell causes its victim to suffer the debilitating effect of the oracle's Curse but not its benefits. How does this work with a Dual Cursed oracle? Is the victim only affected by the main Curse, affected by both Curses, or may the oracle choose either or both Curses to be in effect?

The fact Dual-Cursed Oracles get the spell as bonus spell I suspect both curses will affect the target.

It also seems the most RAW reading. The spells states:

You entreat the forces of fate to bestow your oracle's curse upon another creature. The target creature suffers all the hindrances and none of the benefits of your oracle's curse class feature. You still suffer all effects of your oracle's curse.

If you do not have the oracle's curse class feature, this spell has no effect.
The dual cursed oracle still has the class feature "oracle's curse" and that class features gives two curses instead one.

Spore
2014-05-24, 04:27 AM

Smite Evil 11 CL 9 Magic Missile O_O

5d4+60 damage. For a 1st level slot.

Yanisa
2014-05-24, 05:52 AM

And you might not even need Aura of Justice to pull that off due the wording on Smite Evil. Which states ALL damage rolls get the paladin level, not just the paladins rolls.

Smite got a lot more overpowered, and no one hasn't really noticed it yet. (Or at least posted it in an easy to google topic.)

SpawnOfMorbo
2014-05-24, 07:14 AM

Eh, if that is impressive damage in Pathfinder then they really have nerfed the non-casters to holy hell from 3.5.

I haven't done much optimizing for high damage in pathfinder since I tend to play buffers or debuffers but at level 11 that doesn't seem like much damage.

3.5 uberchargers were fun, in a point and click adventure sort of way :smalltongue:

Spore
2014-05-25, 08:39 AM
Eh, if that is impressive damage in Pathfinder then they really have nerfed the non-casters to holy hell from 3.5.

Not impressive but certainly very efficient in terms of spell slots. You can do all sorts of things with 1st level slots in terms of metamagic. Yes uberchargers still do 6d6+150 damage by level 7 if you want them to.

But I for one am glad that Pathfinder has lowered to optimization ceiling (since I get regularly pissed looks for a simple +21 to Diplomacy on 11th level).