PDA

View Full Version : Guessing When Durkon resurrected

With a box
2014-05-23, 07:39 PM
by the Class and Level Geekery (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?329816-Class-and-Level-Geekery-XII-Even-Nerds-Call-Us-Nerds)
When Durkon resurrected,he will be level 13 at the time and everyone else in OOTS will be around 16~17.
isn't it too (well, he is a cleric, but still)
P.S is he absent for fight more then V? .
P.S sorry for terrible grammer
Edit I think Benthesquid get it right. But how?

Jaxzan Proditor
2014-05-23, 07:46 PM
I'm not quite sure what you mean here. Isn't it too what? And I don't get your second question either.

Benthesquid
2014-05-23, 08:01 PM
As I understand it, you're suggesting that Durkon, after his resurrection, will fall behind the others in level/power?

Well, possibly. But that assumes that he'll be resurrected before the final showdown. Other possibilities include, but are not limited to-

Durkula fools the party up until the final showdown before revealing himself.
The party cottons on to Durkula before that point, but Durkula escapes, and returns at the final showdown.
The party cottons on to Durkula, who is killed, but the party is unable to resurrect Durkon before the final battle.
Durkon somehow breaks free and defeats the High Priest of Hell, taking control of his vampirized body back.

Plus, he's probably getting mad roleplaying XP right now. Just saying.

Angelalex242
2014-05-23, 08:46 PM
Other option:

Durkon's level isn't being taken into account by Giant, and he'll just be at the same level as the rest of the party.

Even if Durkon is technically an EPIC level character right now. (13+8=ECL 21)

Benthesquid
2014-05-23, 08:51 PM
Other option:

Durkon's level isn't being taken into account by Giant, and he'll just be at the same level as the rest of the party.

Even if Durkon is technically an EPIC level character right now. (13+8=ECL 21)

Possibly, but the comments here (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0873.html)suggest that The Giant has at least considered issues of Vampire clerics falling behind in leveling before.

Jaxzan Proditor
2014-05-23, 09:26 PM
All right, I think I understand better. Yes, if he is resurrected before the final showdown, he will probably be several levels behind the rest of the Order. After all, with that kind of LA, he's unlikely to advance a level soon. However, like Benthesquid pointed out, there are more ways for things to occur than that. Also, it could be possible that Durkon's relative weakness becomes important.

zimmerwald1915
2014-05-23, 10:01 PM
It's also possible that Durkon doesn't remain behind for long. It took Roy only one book to catch up to the rest of the party's level following his resurrection, and there are still two books to go.

Quartz
2014-05-24, 05:58 PM
It's actually a function of the way D&D calculates XP from encounters that lower-level PCs gain more XP than higher-level ones.

Keltest
2014-05-24, 06:00 PM
Its honestly a bit of a moot point. Durkon will be as powerful or weak as the polt requires him to be, which is why the Giant doesn't keep actual character sheets for the characters.

zimmerwald1915
2014-05-24, 09:02 PM
Its honestly a bit of a moot point. Durkon will be as powerful or weak as the polt requires him to be, which is why the Giant doesn't keep actual character sheets for the characters.
When did the Giant surrender creative control to a pro Starcraft player?

Keltest
2014-05-24, 09:41 PM
When did the Giant surrender creative control to a pro Starcraft player?

Last week. Didn't you see the news articles?

Bulldog Psion
2014-05-24, 09:59 PM
That's assuming it's long enough for them to level up significantly before he's resurrected (assuming that he is resurrected).

137beth
2014-05-25, 02:42 PM

And if he does end up casting 8th level spells shortly after being resurrected, it would be easy to attribute to him getting more xp than the others for being a lower level.

Jaxzan Proditor
2014-05-25, 02:51 PM
And if he does end up casting 8th level spells shortly after being resurrected, it would be easy to attribute to him getting more xp than the others for being a lower level.

True, although for that to work it would probably be best of he fought a few encounters or did something that would gain him XP before then.

Keltest
2014-05-25, 02:54 PM
True, although for that to work it would probably be best of he fought a few encounters or did something that would gain him XP before then.

Obviously hes going to get retroactive roleplaying xp for setting up a possibly tragic backstory.

Jaxzan Proditor
2014-05-25, 03:42 PM
Obviously hes going to get retroactive roleplaying xp for setting up a possibly tragic backstory.

Wouldn't he be getting that now instead of after he's resurrected? Unless, of course, his backstory doesn't exist until he's resurrected.

Keltest
2014-05-25, 03:47 PM
Wouldn't he be getting that now instead of after he's resurrected? Unless, of course, his backstory doesn't exist until he's resurrected.

I you don't think about it too hard, you can justify a lot of things!

Jaxzan Proditor
2014-05-25, 03:54 PM
I you don't think about it too hard, you can justify a lot of things!

Indeed. Which is why I will try not to think about it to hard if it happens.