PDA

View Full Version : Can a Sorcerer/Wizard cast spells while in were-something- form?

zahlfrin
2014-05-23, 08:00 PM
Hi again, guys!

I hope I can find an answer here to this question. I'd really like to know.
D&D 3.5

Greetings from Mexico! :D

Karnith
2014-05-23, 08:05 PM
Hi again, guys!

I hope I can find an answer here to this question. I'd really like to know.
D&D 3.5
Lycanthropes/were-creatures can cast spells while in hybrid form, provided that the spells do not have verbal components. Per the SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/lycanthrope.htm#creatingALycanthrope):

A lycanthrope’s hybrid form does not gain any special attacks of the base animal. A lycanthrope spellcaster cannot cast spells with verbal, somatic, or material components while in animal form, or spells with verbal components while in hybrid form.

zahlfrin
2014-05-23, 08:12 PM
Given that, I can cast a spell as long as the silent-still spell feats are applied to it, right?

Thanks a lot!

Karnith
2014-05-23, 08:15 PM
Given that, I can cast a spell as long as the silent-still spell feats are applied to it, right?

Thanks a lot!
You would need to apply Silent Spell and Still Spell to cast a spell in animal form (and the spell couldn't require a material component). You would only need to apply Silent Spell to cast a spell in hybrid form.

Zman
2014-05-23, 09:42 PM
You would need to apply Silent Spell and Still Spell to cast a spell in animal form (and the spell couldn't require a material component). You would only need to apply Silent Spell to cast a spell in hybrid form.

Eschew Materials...

Vogonjeltz
2014-05-23, 10:10 PM
Also no focus (if it can't hold a material, it can't hold a focus)

Elric VIII
2014-05-23, 10:17 PM
It is worth noting that the rules for lycanthropy do not apply to the Bite of the Were-X line of spells. These do not preclude spellcasting.

Red Fel
2014-05-24, 12:02 AM
The Surrogate Spellcasting feat (Savage Species) is also a good option. It lets you substitute wild waving and horrifying screeches for somatic and verbal components. You'll still need to be able to hold your material components, however.

And unlike Silent Spell and Still Spell, it doesn't require an increase in spell level.