PDA

View Full Version : Resident Evil (movie)

That Lanky Bugger
2007-02-16, 03:41 PM
Last night I spent twenty five bucks to pick this movie up. Am I the only one who finds the movie about five times as entertaining with the actor commentary (with Mila Jovavich, Michelle Rodriguez, etc) as the movie itself? I've talked to a couple other people who have the movie and agree that the commentary is hilarious, but most people either don't have the movie or haven't bothered to watch it with the commentary on.

storybookknight
2007-02-16, 03:46 PM
It wouldn't be hard to be more entertaining than the movie...

That Lanky Bugger
2007-02-16, 03:51 PM
While I don't entirely agree with your statement, I'll put it in terms which are a little clearer...

A friend of mine who hated the movie was able to enjoy it with the commentary.

Tormsskull
2007-02-16, 03:57 PM
I loved the movie (and own it) do I'll have to check that out. I'm a big fan of horror movies and of action movies, but I usually get really submersed into the plot and so the voiceover can be very distracting for me. I did watch Dawn of the Dead (the newer one) with the commentary and I really enjoyed it. However, I've seen DotD like 50 times so the commentary wasn't too distracting.

talsine
2007-02-16, 04:02 PM
IF you like the commentary on this film, get the third Gamera movie on netflicks (made in the late 90's, i own it, but can't for the life of me think of the American name for it, Revenge of Irys or something) and listen to the commentary on that. Its awesome.

Anyway, i liked the movie, but since i went into it expecting zombies, stuff getting shot, and stuff exploding i think i got my movies worth. Low Expectations for teh win!

Argent
2007-02-16, 04:06 PM
I had the opposite reaction -- I enjoyed the heck out of the movie (c'mon, it was worth it just for the scene where the zombie's walking around on a shattered ankle!) but I found the commentary hard to listen to. Michelle Rodriguez couldn't be more irritating.

General Leitmann
2007-02-16, 04:48 PM
I love the movies, although I have a problem with RE: Apocalypse... On the Pan out from Racoon city, we can clearly see that it is located in Florida, however, during the pan out when it's still close to the city, we can see a CIBC building, glowing in nice golden letters above the city... And for those who aren't sure what CIBC is, it is the Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce... (although it's not the Bank of Canada, it does sound like it would be international)

Nightmarenny
2007-02-16, 08:00 PM
I love the movies, although I have a problem with RE: Apocalypse... On the Pan out from Racoon city, we can clearly see that it is located in Florida, however, during the pan out when it's still close to the city, we can see a CIBC building, glowing in nice golden letters above the city... And for those who aren't sure what CIBC is, it is the Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce... (although it's not the Bank of Canada, it does sound like it would be international)
Poor poor Nemisis what Paul did to you *shudder*

Tor the Fallen
2007-02-16, 08:04 PM
What's so special about the commentary. Eh? EH!

Cobra_Ikari
2007-02-16, 11:09 PM

I believe the filming was in Toronto or something.

The first two were decent enough movies...I'm interested in how the third will be.

That Lanky Bugger
2007-02-16, 11:26 PM
What's so special about the commentary. Eh? EH!

It's... entertaining, I guess. Most commentary is either boringly dry explanations by the director about his or her "vision", technical descriptions by the AV staff, or one or two actors with little offscreen chemistry between them muttering about what they thought about the scenes they were in and shutting up for the rest.

But this commentary is really quite different. As I recall, it's W.S. Anderson, Jeremy Bolt, Milla Jovovich and Michelle Rodriguez. However, instead of just commenting on their opinions on scenes, they'll comment about the off-screen stuff which led up to things, or just wander off on a tangent.

Alright, looking at that, it doesn't really make much sense in explaining why it's funny, so I'll just go ahead and list an example.

During the scene in which Matt, Alice, and Rain are reboarding the train and Alice takes the time to finish off the Spencer Zombie, Milla mentions that she accidentally hit James Purefoy in the head with the rubber axe. She and Michelle then basically rip into him for being a wussy.

Likewise, W.S. Anderson's commentary is unusually candid, for a director. Instead of pointing out things he liked, he'll talk smack about what a crappy job he did here and there, and say how much he cut corners and such.

I suppose it's something you'll have to watch for yourself to get, but I've watched the commentary more times than I've watched the movie without it, by now.

J_Muller
2007-02-16, 11:32 PM
Mmm... Milla Jovovich...

Enjoyable movie, though I don't own it.

reorith
2007-02-18, 11:54 PM
they say some hilarious stuff in the commentary. that movie always made me sad for reasons i won't go into.

Indurain
2007-02-19, 01:22 AM

The two curved buildings they blow up are our city hall!!

I quite enjoyed the first one, and on the advice of dozens of people have avoided the second one.

Cobra_Ikari
2007-02-19, 10:08 AM
The two curved buildings they blow up are our city hall!!

I quite enjoyed the first one, and on the advice of dozens of people have avoided the second one.

...it's worth the time to watch. It's by far not the worst movie to sit through...

General Leitmann
2007-02-20, 09:54 PM

The first two were decent enough movies...I'm interested in how the third will be.

Actually most Hollywood blockbusters are filmed up here in Canada now, something about how nice and clean all our huge cities are...

purple gelatinous cube o' Doom
2007-02-23, 10:37 PM
the only reason that I own the movie is because I'm such a huge RE fan (and I bought it PVD for cheap back when I worked at blockbuster). Quite frankly, the movie is pretty awful. For a film that could have had so much potential, it was a complete and utter disaster.

magicmandy
2007-02-24, 12:25 AM
I loved the first one, and enjoyed the second one. Last weekend when I saw ghostrider(flashy but no depth to the villains!) they had a preview for the third resident evil :D :D

I'm a junkie, i'll have to see it!

thorgrim29
2007-02-24, 12:43 AM
Look, it cant be worse than lifeforce can it, nothing can, me and my friend rated it f series (lifeforce that is). I actually likes RE apocalipse, hav'nt seen the first one yet (grrr, stupid video club with bad selection and only the VHS version in french, grrrr)

Teal Kuinshi
2007-02-28, 08:41 PM
I watched the movie after seeing a parody on the video game Code Veronica. Needless to say, I was cracking up the whole time, even though they weren't the same story line.

zombie chick
2007-03-01, 03:29 PM
i was a little dissapointed with the movies cause i am such a fan of the games.
now i love zombies as much as the next person (okay maybe just a little bit more) but would it have killed them to have put some more mutants in?
one licker in the first one and that was it. though the lazer corridor was fantastic.
and the second one was good, though i wanted nemesis to do more killing

zombie chick
2007-03-01, 03:31 PM
I loved the first one, and enjoyed the second one. Last weekend when I saw ghostrider(flashy but no depth to the villains!) they had a preview for the third resident evil :D :D

I'm a junkie, i'll have to see it!

third???????????????:smallconfused:
i wonder what plot they will use this time. still like you say, i will have ot see it, it has to be done

Timberwolf
2007-03-01, 06:30 PM
I remember watching Resident Evil and having trouble sleeping. Not because it was scary but because of my overactive imagination. I kept dreaming about Zombies. Not seen the second one but I may have to give it a go.