PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Dipping Soulknife

PsyBomb
2014-05-24, 10:41 AM
Alright, so I'm testing out stuff in the new DSP playtest, Akashic Mysteries (their new Incarnum port, you can find the latest thread HERE (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?349964-Dreamscarred-Press-Introduces-Akashic-Mysteries)). I'm making a Sineater Guru, long story short is that it is Wis-based and can use Unarmed Strikes decently well (planning on being one of the new races, which is Wis/Con and is Large).

I am looking into the viability of dipping two levels of Soulknife with the Deadly Fist archetype, for Focused Offense. This would end up using Wis for Attack and twice on Damage (substitute for Strength, plus a bonus application under the Guru's Gentle Touch ability). Str in this build is fully dumpable from level 2 onward, and will be left at 7. The bonus feat would be wasted (since the Guru already gets Improved Unarmed Strike), but he gets free Flurry of Fists bladeskill and if I get an open feat(s) later I can grab Combat Slide or the Toppling Strike series.

Any thoughts?

EDIT:

Perhaps a build stub...

1) Deadly Fist 1 (IUS, Flurry, Weapon Finesse)
2) Deadly Fist 2 (Focused Offense!)
3) Guru 1 (Gentle Touch, Piranha Strike, Forcestrike Knuckles online)
*Build is fully online at this point, striking for 1d8+1d4+6+2xWis subdual or 1d8+6+Wis lethal*
4) Guru 2 (Hand Bind unlocks, gaining shield bonus to AC, can now affect Undead with Subdual)
5) Guru 3 (Extra Essence feat)
6) Guru 4 (Expanded Capacity!, extra defensive abilities)
*At this point, capacity is 3 with 7 essence in the pool. Unarmed Strike in combat hits for 1d8+3d4+12+2xWis subdual or 1d8+12+Wis lethal, and has tons of options outside of combat*

ghanjrho
2014-05-26, 09:39 PM
It's a general rule in Pathfinder that you can't add the same ability score to something twice, not without special wording at least. For example:

Dervish Dance + Agile WSA =/= 2x DEX to damage

PsyBomb
2014-05-26, 09:50 PM
Thanks for the spot

Focused Offense states that you use Wis instead of Strength, and Gentle Touch adds Wis as bonus damage. Not sure if that would stack or not. Even if not, I just lose 4-5 damage at most per hit.

ghanjrho
2014-05-26, 11:12 PM
Thanks for the spot

Focused Offense states that you use Wis instead of Strength, and Gentle Touch adds Wis as bonus damage. Not sure if that would stack or not. Even if not, I just lose 4-5 damage at most per hit.

To my view, that would stack, given the different wording. I would definitely ask your DM.