PDA

View Full Version : What level is this spell?

Blackhawk748
2014-05-24, 05:09 PM
I this spell awhile back and i want to see if im right for the spell level, so here it is.

Carrion Call
Evocation (Force)
Sorc/Wiz 3
Casting Time 1 standard action
Range: Short
Duration 1 rd/ 2 lvls (max 5)
Target 1/2 lvls (max 5)
SR: Yes
Save: Ref half

Carrion call does 3d6 damage per target for 1 round per 2 levels (max 5). The caster must continue concentrating during the entire duration (a standard action) or the spell ends.

Now i put it in as a third level spell, as its kinda like call lightning, but i just wanna see what the playground thinks.

Slipperychicken
2014-05-24, 05:31 PM
I could see that working for as a 3rd level minion-cooker.

Also, what's the fluff on the spell?

Blackhawk748
2014-05-24, 05:38 PM
A murder of ravens erupts from the ground under the target, the birds are a black translucent force effect, after they erupt they fly around the target attacking them for the duration.

Eldest
2014-05-24, 05:41 PM
A murder of ravens erupts from the ground under the target, the birds are a black translucent force effect, after they erupt they fly around the target attacking them for the duration.

Is it [force] damage? Because that might be worth thinking about giving it a little boost in power and then putting it at 4th level if it is.

CyberThread
2014-05-24, 05:45 PM
Make the range short, put the caster in more danger

Slipperychicken
2014-05-24, 05:45 PM

Shouldn't it be an area spell, then?

Adverb
2014-05-24, 05:51 PM
Maybe without being a Force spell?

The scaling duration-and-targets make it potentially awesome at higher caster levels, but damage-over-time is usually weak, so it balances out.

Blackhawk748
2014-05-24, 06:02 PM
Well they occupy the same square as the target, im just not sure how i would write that. It kinda works like call lighting, except you have to concentrate to keep it going

HalfQuart
2014-05-24, 09:22 PM
It reminds me of Manyjaws (SpC), which is 1d6/CL, max 10d6, but you can split them up however you want on different targets. It is also a 3rd level Evocation [Force] spell with Reflex for half, and also continuation with Concentration for up to 3 rounds... so I think your spell matches up pretty well -- it potentially does a lot more damage, since it can do it can do 3d6 damage to up to 5 targets, so a max of 15d6, but you can't focus fire if there's only one or two enemies. The only thing I think needs to change is I think it should be SR: Yes.

Anlashok
2014-05-24, 09:26 PM
It's strictly better than call lightning, though CL isn't the most insane spell to begin with.

Seems interesting enough, for a blast spell.

aleucard
2014-05-24, 11:14 PM
How many squares can you fill with the birds, and can you change their position manually (if yes, how fast)? I can see this being a nice BFC if you add something to reflect that the target(s) are now experiencing an Alfred Hitchcock movie. Maybe a sort of modified Nauseated condition that affects anything that'd be distracted by this sort of thing rather than things that can be sickened (which means that certain undead, constructs, etc. may be susceptible)? Should be either Will or Fort save on the condition, and probably not tied to the damage (as long as it does at least 1 point, of course).

RedMage125
2014-05-25, 12:57 AM

Minor side note, here.

A group of CROWS is called a murder.

A group of Ravens is called an Unkindness.

Not joking. Look it up (http://www.npwrc.usgs.gov/about/faqs/animals/names.htm)

Although, when I was younger I remember learning that a group of doves was called an Exaltation. Apparently that's larks.

Blackhawk748
2014-05-25, 10:31 AM
How many squares can you fill with the birds, and can you change their position manually (if yes, how fast)? I can see this being a nice BFC if you add something to reflect that the target(s) are now experiencing an Alfred Hitchcock movie. Maybe a sort of modified Nauseated condition that affects anything that'd be distracted by this sort of thing rather than things that can be sickened (which means that certain undead, constructs, etc. may be susceptible)? Should be either Will or Fort save on the condition, and probably not tied to the damage (as long as it does at least 1 point, of course).

At level 10 you pick 5 targets and the crows/ravens stay with them for the duration. If i stuck a Nauseated effect on it, itd prbly get bumbed up to a 4 th level spell.