PDA

View Full Version : E6 Deities

Tvtyrant
2014-05-24, 08:14 PM
I am currently working on a new E6 campaign and part of the campaign setting is the (dying) existence of 18 "living gods." By this I mean creatures that are worshipped as gods and walk the surface of the world, each building its own kingdoms and churches around themselves.

So far I am aiming for CR13-15 creatures with lots of SLAs and aura abilities. The god who takes up the domain of justice and law is being represented by a Throne Archon (only one in the setting) and the god of fate is represented by a Marut.

What I am looking for is creatures that have an impressive variety of powers and god-like abilities (zones of truth, true seeing, restoration, etc.) and are just at the range where killing them would require tremendous planning and overwhelming force, but not where it is impossible (contingency or actual full casting.)

Angelalex242
2014-05-24, 08:20 PM
Just take the highest level order of each type of outsider.

Throne Archon, Leonal, Tulani, perhaps ruled over by a mighty Solar who IS the Big Good, full stop.

On the other side, there's a Pit Fiend and a Balor, who, in keeping with the blood war, are constantly attacking each other through their armies.

Gildedragon
2014-05-24, 08:26 PM
There are also the Radiant Idols (Sharn City of Towers) that grant spells to clerics and act as gods/cult leaders

Calimehter
2014-05-24, 10:00 PM
Spirit of the Land (MM II) and Zeitgeist (Cityscape) are interesting site-based options. Their CR is a bit higher than you were looking for, though.

Leviting
2014-05-24, 10:04 PM
for lawful, why not a (renamed) Obligatum series Kolyarut? Alternatively, there are more advanced inevitables out there, like that time one (Forgot the name).

EDIT: That is, if you plan on having a Solar be the "good" one.

With a box
2014-05-24, 11:06 PM
Angel, Astral Deva (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/angel.htm)
CR 14 better fit then solar (CR 23)

how about a wilder? pic 7~8 powers and use is like a PLA (well it uses power point, but SLA also has limits per day isn't it?)

Kuulvheysoon
2014-05-24, 11:12 PM
Angel, Astral Deva (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/angel.htm)
CR 14 better fit then solar (CR 23)

how about a wilder? pic 7~8 powers and use is like a PLA (well it uses power point, but SLA also has limits per day isn't it?)

Phrenic template with the Magic in the Blood feat specifically allowed to work on PLAs?

With a box
2014-05-24, 11:22 PM
Phrenic template with the Magic in the Blood feat specifically allowed to work on PLAs?

sorry for dysfunctional sentence
I was thinked the plain wilder who use his power, not a way to convert them to PLA.

Kuulvheysoon
2014-05-24, 11:34 PM
sorry for dysfunctional sentence
I was thinked the plain wilder who use his power, not a way to convert them to PLA.

Actually, I was just thinking of applying the Phrenic template to the Astral Deva.

With a box
2014-05-24, 11:52 PM
Actually, I was just thinking of applying the Phrenic template to the Astral Deva.

Astral Deva dosen't have any psi-like Abilities

Pilo
2014-05-25, 05:37 AM
The is a third party settings called Dawnforge where gods walk with the mortals.
You might want to look after it, there is a god template in it which is not overpowered, and god are CR 10-14.

Gemini476
2014-05-25, 05:53 AM

So? If he has psi-like abilities he couldn't become Phrenic (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/monsters/phrenicCreature.htm).

Magic in the Blood would (if you let it function on PLAs as well as SLAs) make all of those 3/day. Inluding what is basically Pdionic Dominate Monster, since PLAs autoaugment.

mephnick
2014-05-25, 09:32 AM
I always liked the idea of more "natural" monsters being considered gods in e6.

Dragons, wurms, phoenix, storm giants etc

I always assumed a significantly powerful enough monster would draw followers on it's own.

dascarletm
2014-05-25, 11:59 AM
I always liked the idea of more "natural" monsters being considered gods in e6.

Dragons, wurms, phoenix, storm giants etc

I always assumed a significantly powerful enough monster would draw followers on it's own.

In the current campaign I'm running the largest empire is composed of Draconists, those that worship dragons as gods.

Kuulvheysoon
2014-05-25, 12:51 PM

So? If he has psi-like abilities he couldn't become Phrenic (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/monsters/phrenicCreature.htm).

Magic in the Blood would (if you let it function on PLAs as well as SLAs) make all of those 3/day. Inluding what is basically Pdionic Dominate Monster, since PLAs autoaugment.Thanks, Gemini, that was the point I was trying to make.

Tvtyrant
2014-05-25, 11:25 PM
One of the gods I am thinking of is using a Horned Devil for the now dead god of Tyranny. However they are kind of...Dumb (int 14.) Is there a better devil at around that CR?

Maybe a Sarrukh without manipulate form? Its powers are just okay but it is extremely smart.

Gildedragon
2014-05-25, 11:33 PM
there is the Xerfilstyx but it looks... kinda stupid but is int 16
and there is the Ghargatula is an Int 7 fiendish dino

Eskil
2014-05-26, 06:21 AM
One of the gods I am thinking of is using a Horned Devil for the now dead god of Tyranny. However they are kind of...Dumb (int 14.) Is there a better devil at around that CR?

Half-Dragon (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/halfDragon.htm)Ice Devil (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/devil.htm#iceDevilGelugon)?

Same Str, Con and Cha, better Int and Wis, 4 points lower Dex.
Better movement speeds and armor.
CR 15.

avr
2014-05-26, 06:42 AM
A covey of hags should rate as a god in an E6 setting. Control Weather alone might do it to say nothing of their other collective tricks.

The CR may be a little low so add a handful of class levels to each. Maybe Barbarian for the Annis, Rogue for the Green Hag, Bard for the Sea Hag.

Tvtyrant
2014-05-26, 01:22 PM
A covey of hags should rate as a god in an E6 setting. Control Weather alone might do it to say nothing of their other collective tricks.

The CR may be a little low so add a handful of class levels to each. Maybe Barbarian for the Annis, Rogue for the Green Hag, Bard for the Sea Hag.

I love this suggestion but I actually used a covey of hags as the rulers of a swamp kingdom in my last E6 game and it went... Badly. The party allied with them against an Aboleth and then when they had defeated the Aboleth they simply killed the covey (darn dungeoncrashers...)

Angelalex242
2014-05-26, 02:08 PM
That's why, for outsiders at least, I recommend just using the mightiest of the breeds as the dude in charge. They don't necessarily need to be killable by your E6 PCs.

There's nothing inherently wrong with a Pit Fiend and a Balor running the joint.

The Balor even has precedence...consider what his twin brother the Balrog was able to do in Lord of the Rings.

Tvtyrant
2014-05-27, 01:03 AM
That's why, for outsiders at least, I recommend just using the mightiest of the breeds as the dude in charge. They don't necessarily need to be killable by your E6 PCs.

There's nothing inherently wrong with a Pit Fiend and a Balor running the joint.

The Balor even has precedence...consider what his twin brother the Balrog was able to do in Lord of the Rings.

That is fair, but I would like to keep the hit points in the 150ish range (the setting uses 6d10 grand bombards which should take about 5 direct hits.)

What about using the Phantasmal Slayer as the god of evil.

Silverbit
2014-05-27, 04:14 AM
A greater bargest with high hit dice might make a good evil god. There's a mechanical reason to feed it sacrifices as well - it gets more powerful by eating them.

Angelalex242
2014-05-27, 04:23 AM
Well, in Lord of the Rings, the Balrog wasn't killable by anything short of an opposing celestial taking him out.

With double the hit points you wanted, and a mighty DR of 15/cold iron AND good, It should become quite clear that the Balor cannot be killed by 6d10 blast guns. Well, it can, but it'd take 20 odd hits, and it would waste its enemies long before that happened. There's a reason the Balrog took down the whole dwarven kingdom of Moria by itself.

Indeed, when the Balor shows up, the opposing Celestial could even say. "YOU CANNOT PASS! I am a servant of the secret fire! Go back to the Shadow, flame of Udun!" :P

By contrast, the pit fiend has only 225 hp, but it also has regen 5, DR 15/Silver AND holy and only takes lethal damage from good aligned silver weapons or spells with the good descriptor. A battle between the pit fiend and the balor is a war of attrition...but with the regen factor of the pit fiend, it's actually winning, as it can do lethal damage to the Balor, but the Balor can't do lethal damage to it. The only thing the Balor's got that might still work is his Vorpal Sword. If Vorpal even works on attacks that don't do lethal damage.

Fable Wright
2014-05-27, 05:53 AM
The Du'ulora Quori from Secrets of Sarlona might work if you advance it a bit. It can invade your dreams and kill you by killing your dream self, getting near it sends mortals into a rage, and its grip can cause people to spontaneously combust from sheer rage. Its SLA selection is a bit weak and it's only CR 11, so what I'd do is gestalt its racial HD with Binder levels to raise its CR by 2 and add in some of the various 1/5 rounds or aura powers, then give it a template or two to fill in the rest of the SLAs.

Kuulvheysoon
2014-05-27, 12:38 PM
The Du'ulora Quori from Secrets of Sarlona might work if you advance it a bit. It can invade your dreams and kill you by killing your dream self, getting near it sends mortals into a rage, and its grip can cause people to spontaneously combust from sheer rage. Its SLA selection is a bit weak and it's only CR 11, so what I'd do is gestalt its racial HD with Binder levels to raise its CR by 2 and add in some of the various 1/5 rounds or aura powers, then give it a template or two to fill in the rest of the SLAs.

Phrenic template? What's it's HD look like?

Fable Wright
2014-05-27, 04:38 PM
Phrenic template? What's it's HD look like?

Phrenic is a no-go, as it already has PLAs. It's got 10 outsider HD (but DR 10/Crysteel or Good, so it can take a beating) so granted SLAs wouldn't be that high. The PLAs are mostly static buffs (Inertial Armor, Psionic Scent, Trace Teleport, Mindlink and Psionic True Seeing), with the exception of Psionic Rage, Id Insinuation, and Recall Agony. It's good at causing rage and madness wherever it shows up, but it isn't really able to affect the environment around it much.