PDA

View Full Version : Master of Many Forms builds

atemu1234
2014-05-24, 10:09 PM
Hi, I'm making a Master of Many Forms. I'm building it for max wild shape ability uses at level 15. Is there anything I can do that can increase it to beyond 21 times per day?

Jeff the Green
2014-05-24, 10:30 PM
Shapeshifter (OA) might do it, but it's really not intended to be combined with anything else that gets wildshape since Druids aren't allowed in OA and wildshape rangers didn't exist so its wording might preclude it.

Vaz
2014-05-25, 05:46 PM
Extra Wild Shape gets you 2 additional uses of Wild Shape a day each time you take the feat.

And no, Druids/WS Rangers are allowed in OA, they are suggested banned from Rokugan, which is the base setting of the OA book in 3.0, but it is by no means banned in Kara Tur the previous example setting. They even introduce Sohei and Wu Jen amd then ban those from 'OA' campaigns as well.

One Step Two
2014-05-25, 05:52 PM
Not something to max Wildshape uses, but make the most of them, is the Warshaper PrC from Complete warrior. The capstone lets you change multiple times with one wildshape across the duration. I always heartily recommend Warshaper with the Master of Many Forms.

Werephilosopher
2014-05-25, 06:59 PM
The Divine Minion (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mb/20050209a) template gives at-will Wild Shape as a free action into one or more set animal/vermin forms. It can also turn your humanoid into an outsider, which is always nice. A Divine Minion of Anhur has only +1 LA, can turn into a lion at will, and can also qualify for MoMF at level 1 with a bonus feat from race or a flaw. It's much better than going druid, since MoMF doesn't advance spellcasting at all.

Ellowryn
2014-05-25, 07:12 PM
That's kinda brilliant Werephilosopher.

At character level 16 it can change into anything of up 21 HD an unlimited times per day. Kinda broken stupid fun.

Also fun, is the fact that even though you out druid a druid in wild shape, you cant actually change into any animal except the one(s) granted by the template. So you are a druid who really isnt a druid who out druids a druid!

Vaz
2014-05-25, 07:18 PM
Technically, not, as you don't stack MoMF by RAW with Divine Minion's HD cap. You're limited to 10HD forms from MoMF. And who seriously cares about animal Wild Shape?

Druid 5/Planar Shepherd 10/Druid 5, with Wildshape Amulet (Magic of Faerun I think) plus that Armour set from MiC or Complete Divine (memories failed, sorry) which adds +1 giving you 25HD forms to select from.

eggynack
2014-05-25, 07:22 PM
plus that Armour set from MiC or Complete Divine (memories failed, sorry) which adds +1 giving you 25HD forms to select from.
You're thinking of the trappings of the beast in complete champion, page 135. The ring and mantle are pretty great, though the armor is not.

Vaz
2014-05-25, 07:25 PM
Indeed I am. Being frank, it's more about the additional Wild Shape HD rather than anything else.

eggynack
2014-05-25, 07:28 PM
Being frank, it's more about the additional Wild Shape HD rather than anything else.
True enough in this case, though somewhat untrue in other cases. It's actually to the point that I generally advise picking up both the ring and the mantle, and skipping the armor, despite the fact that that loses the fancy wild shape boost. Swift action wild shape and a reduced spell level requirement on your summons is some sweet business.

Ellowryn
2014-05-25, 07:31 PM
Technically, not, as you don't stack MoMF by RAW with Divine Minion's HD cap. You're limited to 10HD forms from MoMF. And who seriously cares about animal Wild Shape?

Why wouldnt it? The template stats that you wild shape as an 11th level druid, and the CA errata states that you add your MoMF levels to your druid levels to calculate max HD.

And i was poking fun at the concept about the animal for thing, and magical beast too now that i double check the class, because all those other types you get are waaaaaaay better than those.

Vaz
2014-05-25, 07:32 PM
What other armour could you use in its place? It's an additional Wild Shape use providing you with an additional AC boost (however minor). Of course, pick up the other two first.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2014-05-25, 07:35 PM
A Mulhorandi Divine Minion (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mb/20050209a) can Wild Shape at will, and you can get that for only a +1 LA. Make your character a Human Divine Minion of Anhur, and say you bought off the level adjustment (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/reducingLevelAdjustments.htm) for 3,000 xp. Go Fast Movement Ranger (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#ranger) 1/ Master of Many Forms 10/ Nature's Warrior 1/ Warshaper 3 at level 15. Future levels should be one more Warshaper and the last four Nature's Warrior, and if you hit epic levels you should come up with an epic progression for Master of Many Forms.

Note that with this build the only animal forms you'll be able to take are those that your version of Divine Minion gives you. Master of Many Forms allows you to take the forms of other creature types and various sizes, though.

eggynack
2014-05-25, 07:37 PM
What other armour could you use in its place? It's an additional Wild Shape use providing you with an additional AC boost (however minor). Of course, pick up the other two first.
No armor, usually. A monk's belt costs less and often grants more (and better) AC, and stacks with luminous armor. You could also just skip both the armor of the beast and the monk's belt, and spend the money on something cool. There are a lot of things that are cool.

Vaz
2014-05-25, 07:44 PM
A Mulhorandi Divine Minion (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mb/20050209a) can Wild Shape at will, and you can get that for only a +1 LA. Make your character a Human Divine Minion of Anhur, and say you bought off the level adjustment (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/reducingLevelAdjustments.htm) for 3,000 xp. Go Fast Movement Ranger (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#ranger) 1/ Master of Many Forms 10/ Nature's Warrior 1/ Warshaper 3 at level 15. Future levels should be one more Warshaper and the last four Nature's Warrior, and if you hit epic levels you should come up with an epic progression for Master of Many Forms.

Note that with this build the only animal forms you'll be able to take are those that your version of Divine Minion gives you. Master of Many Forms allows you to take the forms of other creature types and various sizes, though.

And of only up to 14HD forms however.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2014-05-25, 08:19 PM
And of only up to 14HD forms however.

The Complete Adventurer errata (https://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/er/20040125a) makes each Master of Many Forms level increase your effective Druid level for Wild Shape, which includes how many HD your assumed forms can have and the duration.

bekeleven
2014-05-25, 08:36 PM
Also, Divine Minion isn't actually a legal MoMF entry. To get into MoMF you need: "Wild Shape Class Feature". Read all 4 words there.

Divine Minions have an ability that grants an effect similar to wild shape, but it's "Fast Wild Shape". And it's not a class feature. Ergo, they meet 0 of those 4 words.

Aquillion
2014-05-25, 09:21 PM
Out of curiosity, why do you want to max the number of uses? It seems like an odd strategy. After a certain point you'll get diminishing returns, because the duration also increases as you go up in level until you can keep it up all day with just one or two activations.

You might want a few extra activations so you can change back and forth if necessary, or to change to a specific form for a specific situation, but normally (especially given that Master of Many Forms already gives you a ton of uses) I would think it'd be more natural to devote other parts of your build towards making the uses you have more valuable.

Vaz
2014-05-26, 03:10 AM
The Complete Adventurer errata (https://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/er/20040125a) makes each Master of Many Forms level increase your effective Druid level for Wild Shape, which includes how many HD your assumed forms can have and the duration.

1. See post below yours.
2. It stacks with Druid Class Levels. You have none.

Stallion
2014-05-26, 04:19 AM
And i was poking fun at the concept about the animal for thing, and magical beast too now that i double check the class, because all those other types you get are waaaaaaay better than those.

Except that Planar Shepherd will allow you to throw on templates to shapes for one, gives you all spell-like and supernatural abilities of said forms for two, and gives you Outsider shapes for three. Outsiders with their SLAs and SNAs trump pretty damn near any other type in the game on a 1 to 1 Hitdie comparison. Can I get a hello to nearly any of the Angels? Oh wait, the Chronotyryn is calling... Twice!

Poke poke.

Wacky89
2014-05-26, 05:39 AM
You could enter MoMF with Totem Druid (DRM#335) in level 2. Unless your dm doesnt think Totem Shape counts as wild shape even tho it says "uses the same rules as wild shape".
All of my DM's has allowed me to use Totem Druid to enter MoMF