PDA

View Full Version : Help building a gunslinger

walfulninja
2014-05-25, 10:32 AM
Hello everybody! One of my players wants to build a gunslinger character. So far he plans on playing a scout or ranger. But that's really all we have so far. Are there any good rules for firearms (flint/snap locks) floating around? I looked at the ones in the DMG but don't like those. So now I leave this to you, fellow members of the playground. Good luck!

Gildedragon
2014-05-25, 10:38 AM
Pathfinder has a variety of options. And a gunslinger class and a number of acfs that focus on guns

Alternatively just refluff xbows and change the damage to 1/2 B 1/2 P

Slipperychicken
2014-05-25, 11:47 AM
Pathfinder has a variety of options. And a gunslinger class and a number of acfs that focus on guns

Yeah, PF has gun rules (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipment---final/weapons/firearms). They aren't perfect, and you need a few levels and a lot of feats to use them effectively, but they're better than what one could cobble together from existing 3.5 mechanics.

Gildedragon
2014-05-25, 12:18 PM
You can consolidate feats to make guns handier but my personal pref is xbows needing EWP and the following mod:
Heavy xbow gun: 1d10 piercing 1d8 piercing 1d4 bludgeoning
Light xbow gun: 1d8 piercing 1d6 piercing 1d4 bludgeoning
Hand xbow gun: 1d4 piercing 1d3 piercing 1 bludgeoning

If they want revolvers allow repeating versions of any of these (+x per extra chamber. If you feel it is too strong it can be treated somewhat like the mighty option in composite bows)

Trinoya
2014-05-25, 12:19 PM
Best option is the pathfinder system.

That said if they want to take the gunslinger class in pathfinder let them have advanced firearms or advise them to only dip and get into a better class. Power creep and all that.

Diovid
2014-05-25, 12:24 PM
If you're against backporting pathfinder, there are also rules in DMG (p. 145 - 146) and in Dragon Magazine #321.