PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Could use some character advice/suggestions Pathfinder: Rise of the Runelords

togapika
2014-05-25, 12:02 PM
This game is set in the Rise of the Runelords campaign.

First I should tell you that I'm dealing with a sort of Monty Haul gamemaster here. (Character Power, not Loot-wise) For stats we rolled 24 d 6's and then combine those numbers as we wish to make our stats with the only rules being we must use a minimum of 3 dice per stat, maximum 18 before racial modifiers, and we must use all of each dice (a 6 is a 6, not usable as 2 3's or whatever). For classes we are gestalt except that it only applies to 2 classes (no multiclassing). Also we are using the Mythic Heroes rules. For races, players handbook, as well as the "featured races" from the Advanced Race Guide except for the goblin, hobgoblin, orc, and kobold.

Our current party looks like this:
Aasimar Druid/Summoner: Master Summoner Archetype, uses eidelon for personal defense and summons for his role in combat. Also has a dwarven fighter cohort from the deck of many things. Level 6?
Aasimar Cleric/Witch: IRL wife of Summoner, not very knowledgeable on the rules. Heals and debuffs in combat
Gnome Gunslinger/Magus: Formerly a Gunslinger/Cleric back when we were fewer players and short on healing. IG Renounced his faith to trade cleric levels for magus, bears a brand showing him as a heretic of former faith (though it has yet to come up) Using DM fiat ranged version of black blade archetype along with mythic weapon among other stuff that all stacks "somehow" to give him OP shotgun. Level 8-9 I think due to drawing 50k xp from deck of many things which was/is handed out as 10k xp per session to him

Both GM and Gnome Player are more experienced with 2e like in the case where Gnome's player was bouncing lightning spells to hit the same target multiple times till myself and Summoner pointed out he couldn't do that by rules.

My character was:
Sylph Inquisitor/Rogue who was originally human, but transmuted himself via work for a god. My init was +19 and had 24 perception mod. Tried to be the parties tank, as little as that did.

My character left the party at the end of last session due to the Gnome's character throwing a fireball on some undead (Ghouls/ghasts I forget) in an area that included my character with no prior warning or discussion. He had also been causing other characters to suffer stunning and other debuffs from the DM due to him throwing around stuff like lightning spells and shotgun blasts in tight tunnels beneath Foxglove Manor. We joked a little OOC about the debuffs, but nobody complained IC about the friendly fire besides me, so my character left. Was told by the DM he may return as a villain, as he left carrying the 7-pointed star key.

For a backup character, I didn't really have any ideas. "We've" (The Gnome) mowed down all the minion fights pretty easily and only usually had to go more than 2 rounds with boss type characters. My inquisitor was decent, but there's really no need of a tank when the party damage is high enough.
For a backup the only possible ideas I had were either something like Synthesist Summoner/Barbarian to get lots of arms and wield all the weapons, or possibly some kind of Alchemist/??? for lots of AOE damage with sweets bombs.

Playground, What Do?

Snowbluff
2014-05-25, 04:05 PM
Play a wizard? :smalltongue:

ForesightWizard1/Fighter1/EldritchKnight is pretty hard to go wrong with. Maybe work your way up to Arcane Archer and fill in as a proper ranged fighter. EDIT: Unless your DM considers prestige class multiclassing.

A well built Synthesist Summoner would be able to weather some heavy saves. Maybe craft yourself an Item of Nereid's Grace to make yourself ridiculously tough.

Synthesist/Paladin should be a good combination of unkillable and scary as hell.

I've been playing a heavens oracle. That completely makes fights a joke. The level 1 forcewalls are just a bonus.

A Strength Domain Cleric would be more prudent than a barbarian. Make sure to add some buffs.

togapika
2014-05-25, 08:15 PM
What kind of evolutions would you go with for a synthesist/paladin?

Maybe something angel themed?

Snowbluff
2014-05-25, 08:44 PM
Well, you're right about the arms. You can't go wrong with a lot of greatswords. Celestial Appearance is an option, I believe.

Flight is a must, and will let you pick up some angel wings. Pounce will MURDER. Grab a special sense like Blindsight for good measure. + Strength enhancemants are valuable for the bonus to hit. Frightful Presence will let you scare people like an Archon. Keep in mind you gain all of your Eidolons special abilities, like Evasion and Devotion.

For spells, Evolution Surge is great. Use it to grab things like Skill Bonus. "Hmm... we need to search this... I'll take a +8, thanks." Rejuvenate Eidolon will let your recover your fusion Temporary HP.

For paladin spells, litanies are very good. Greater Magic Weapon will take the edge off of the weapon costs. Oath of Vengeance is very good. Divine Bond is less useful with multiple weapons, so I would swap it out if you are grabbing arms. Pearls of Power are items that will help extend your paladin spell slots.

For feats, probably get Power Attack, Multiweapon Fighting, Improved Multiweapon Fighting, and Fey Foundling if you are upping your healing. Craft Wondrous Item is good, and is even better if your Dm allows custom items. Nereid's Grace made into some gloves is like 4000 gp to make.

Half elf is the race of choice. + evolution points on the Summoner Side, and you can choose Paladin as your other favored class to improve the range of your auras or have extra skills/hp. Keep in mind the wording of Mutlitalented allows this. :smallbiggrin:

Now I really want to do this. XD

togapika
2014-05-26, 10:30 AM
Go for it! Only thing I'm wondering about; doesn't pounce require a quadruped eidelon base? How does that work with Synthesist? Do you just end up walking around on all fours?

Snowbluff
2014-05-26, 10:50 AM
You do. That's why you grab some arms. It's some arms and -2 str for +2 dex and the ability to pounce. Don't worry about where your actual body is in the fusion. It's worth it. :smalltongue:

togapika
2014-05-26, 12:20 PM
I'll have to look for ways to boost my initiative to make sure I can actually do stuff. There's a paladin ACF that could add Cha to my Init, but that gives up Cha to saves, not a fair trad imo.

Snowbluff
2014-05-26, 12:21 PM
You can take a Trait to improve init.