PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Swashbuckler vs Slayer

Elfkin_King
2014-05-25, 06:12 PM
I'm used to character that use two-handed weapons or Two-weapon fighting.
I was thinking of using a Swashbuckler (which my DM would prefer me to do) and I'd be using the feats to focus on TWF feats, critical feats, and a few others.
Exotic Weapon proficiency: wakizashi
Two-weapon fighting
two weapon defense
improved two weapon fighting
greater two weapon fighting
critical focus
critical mastery
bleeding critical
stunning critical
quick draw
power attack
combat expertise
weapon focus
improved trip
penetrating strike
But a friend on here suggested that that might be better to use the Slayer, if I'm set on TWF.
Honestly, either option sounds fine to me, but I'd like to have some suggestions for a single-weapon/buckler Swashbuckler, and another one for the Slayer.
I've never played a rogue, or ninja, so I'm not too knowledgeable about those at a glance.
It seems to me that (at a glance) you can't choose "feat" as a slayer talent until at least 10th level, and I realize that what I'm looking at is super feat intensive. And that at least 3 of those would be combat style feats.

Edit: My DM is using only Paizo published material, so no third party at all. He's not budging on that. :/ But he has had my Mythic book for almost a month, so I think it's safe to say that he's gonna make us mythic at some point. (So there is Mythic Weapon Finesse for Dex to Damage)

Sayt
2014-05-25, 10:58 PM
There's not much point talking twf on a swashbuckler, as you can't shield bash with bucklers, to best my knowledge.

ghanjrho
2014-05-26, 09:33 PM
If you go 3rd party (and it's Pathfinder, so you should) Dreamscarred Press's Path of War release includes a feat that allows you to shield bash with a buckler.

Elfkin_King
2014-05-27, 05:22 AM
If you go 3rd party (and it's Pathfinder, so you should) Dreamscarred Press's Path of War release includes a feat that allows you to shield bash with a buckler.
He's set on no third party stuff at all. :/

There's not much point talking twf on a swashbuckler, as you can't shield bash with bucklers, to best my knowledge.
Hi was planning on using wakizashi's. Two light weapons with an 18-20 range, 1d6 each, and they are piercing (and slashing). Being Deadly is a nice bonus. :3
The reason I see it as viable is because of two weapon defense and its mythic version. And the swashbuckler gets plenty of passives for having "at least 1 panache ". Yeah, I wouldn't benefit from the extra damage when using panache actions, but I would still get the defensives, and the parry deed is by far the bread and butter of the class.

Sayt
2014-05-27, 06:44 AM
...huh, I thought you lost more than just precise strike when you had another weapon in your offhand. Objection to TWF withdrawn, although at higher levels, I think there's a chance you'd get more damage from precise strike, though I'm not sure how the math would balance out.

Elfkin_King
2014-05-27, 07:55 AM
...huh, I thought you lost more than just precise strike when you had another weapon in your offhand. Objection to TWF withdrawn, although at higher levels, I think there's a chance you'd get more damage from precise strike, though I'm not sure how the math would balance out.

I don't think you lose that even. There are several deeds that say you make a single attack, which makes twf kinda moot for those single attacks, but I don't see why you wouldn't benefit from twf. Besides, at the very least, use Quick draw to sheath one weapon, perform the single attack as a standard and quick draw it out or wait till your next turn to do that.

Sayt
2014-05-27, 08:29 AM
The deed specifically calls out that you can't use it if you attack with your other hand or hold a shield other than a buckler.

Elfkin_King
2014-05-27, 09:32 AM
The deed specifically calls out that you can't use it if you attack with your other hand or hold a shield other than a buckler.

Right. You don't HAVE to attack with your offhand.

Shinken
2014-05-27, 02:33 PM
I have a TWF Swashbuckler in my group, with a homebrew feat for dual Precise Strike. Doubt your DM is going to allow that if he doesn't even allow DSP material, tho.

Elfkin_King
2014-05-27, 02:44 PM
I have a TWF Swashbuckler in my group, with a homebrew feat for dual Precise Strike. Doubt your DM is going to allow that if he doesn't even allow DSP material, tho.

Probably not. :/ There's probably something about a TWF Swashbuckler in the ACG, but that hasn't been released yet, obviously. :/

On the other hand, are there any suggestions for the slayer/rogue/ninja talents of the slayer?

Ssalarn
2014-05-27, 04:41 PM
I don't think you lose that even. There are several deeds that say you make a single attack, which makes twf kinda moot for those single attacks, but I don't see why you wouldn't benefit from twf. Besides, at the very least, use Quick draw to sheath one weapon, perform the single attack as a standard and quick draw it out or wait till your next turn to do that.

Quickdraw doesn't reduce the action needed to sheathe a weapon. The only feat that reduces the action needed to sheathe a weapon is the Gun Twirling feat from Champions of Balance.

Soooo.... That idea no worky.

Elfkin_King
2014-05-27, 06:51 PM
Quickdraw doesn't reduce the action needed to sheathe a weapon. The only feat that reduces the action needed to sheathe a weapon is the Gun Twirling feat from Champions of Balance.

Soooo.... That idea no worky.

hmmmm.... well crap. :/ Well, I still have time to consider how I want to build my swash. IF I choose to do the swash. What about the Rogue/Ninja/Slayer talents?