PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Artifacts, The Holder Series

Jthw
2014-05-25, 06:31 PM
So I'm going to be DMing a campaign soon and I wanted to add in some special side quests that could give the PCs items that arn't necessarily good for them but artifacts none the less. Then I came upon a series of scary stories about items with great power and something vague about when they all come together. The series can be found here http://theholders.org/?Special:Series_List you can read pretty much any of them and get the idea that it would be perfect for a specific side quest for each and it could even get to be an entire campaign if you worked hard enough at it.

What I need though is some help with actually homebrewing it though as I havn't had much experience in it at all and don't even know where to go after getting the idea. I would ask my group for help but I wouldn't want to ruin the surprise.

My main goal with these is to get a good amount of side quests ready for my party and for the most part get the items themselves figured out. They would be definitely artifacts, probably created by a very powerful deity and simply having the items would give pretty big bonuses (with less but definite drawbacks). I don't expect to make all of those items into dnd as that would be an enormous project, just to get the base of them done and a couple of them done.

Zale
2014-05-26, 02:46 AM
So I'm going to be DMing a campaign soon and I wanted to add in some special side quests that could give the PCs items that arn't necessarily good for them but artifacts none the less. Then I came upon a series of scary stories about items with great power and something vague about when they all come together. The series can be found here http://theholders.org/?Special:Series_List you can read pretty much any of them and get the idea that it would be perfect for a specific side quest for each and it could even get to be an entire campaign if you worked hard enough at it.

What I need though is some help with actually homebrewing it though as I havn't had much experience in it at all and don't even know where to go after getting the idea. I would ask my group for help but I wouldn't want to ruin the surprise.

My main goal with these is to get a good amount of side quests ready for my party and for the most part get the items themselves figured out. They would be definitely artifacts, probably created by a very powerful deity and simply having the items would give pretty big bonuses (with less but definite drawbacks). I don't expect to make all of those items into dnd as that would be an enormous project, just to get the base of them done and a couple of them done.

The main problem I see is that some of those stories fail to mention any sort of traits the items could have, and others aren't things that you could or would take.

They're vaguely ominous objects that do something that the story never seems to touch upon.

If they had some sort of power or trait, you could probably make an artifact based on them, but most of them just seem to be. Of course, I've only read some of them, but that seems to be my general impression.

Maybe if you selected ones you felt would make good artifacts?